2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any strong feelings on UAB vs OHSU with limited consideration of the weather/location difference but more of a focus on true program differences/reputation/fellowship placement/etc...

I'm actually ranking both of them #2 & #3 on my rank list (right behind UPMC). I found the programs to be very similar. I'm ranking both of them highly. I was impressed that some of residents from UAB came from very high powered schools (Hopkins, UNC, Harvard). But I think both programs are very similar. I think OHSU, like UAB, has a great work-life balance. Residents were awesome. I'm having a hard time ranking both of them. I definitely would be happy at either program.

i'm debating whether or not to send an email to the pd at my #1 telling him it's my first choice and wanted to hear others' thoughts on this topic. my primary concern is that, after hearing over and over that "pds talk", it might affect my #2 and / or #3 programs' ranking of me so i'll wind up matching beneath my top 3. does anyone know much about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to hear why you were "surprised" by Penn State. I thought while the didactics seemed good that the hours and location were a program killer.

I didn't get the impression that their hours were anything outrageous. I was moreso surprised that such a great residency program existed in Hershey. Granted, Hershey itself isn't anything too spectacular, but it is close to Philly where job opportunities for my hubby and our close friends from college live. I also, for what it's worth, really liked the people and got a good vibe from my interview day.

I am a CA-3 at MCW and you will get fantastic training in all areas of anesthesia at our program. For applicants like yourself who are ranking many great programs your decision should rely more on were do you think you fit in best. If you hate living in a particular location or did not get a good feel from the residents on the interview day then why would you risk having to train 4 years in that environment. Or if you have a particular area of interest certain program will be stronger in those areas than others which can influence your rank list. For me personally, I ranked MCW number 1 and have had no regrets with that decision. But I am also confident that the program that I ranked 2-4 would have provided me similar oppurtunities to get a solid education.

Anyone care to take a stab at this rank list?

SLU
Mizzou
KUMC-KC
UNMC
Vermont
Arkansas
Minnesota
Beaumont
Toledo
Case/MetroHealth
Baystate
URochester
LSU-Shreveport
West Virginia

I'd go Vermont, URochester, Nebraska for top 3.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm at KU. I really like all the people (attendings and residents) here, and you'll get great training with decent work hours. That said, we're kind of in a state of flux with a new chair and the PD transitioning to a GME role. KC is a great place to live with a lot of fun stuff to do. It probably would've still made my top 5 even if wasn't in my hometown.

Of those you listed, I'd probably go West VA, Rochester, KU, Vermont, Nebraska, SLU, and then whatever combo floats your boat. You have decent options.

LSU Shreveport is beyond awful. As I noted in another post, I would literally rather do a prelim year and try to get an advanced spot next year than go there, based on what I've heard and from what a close friend experienced. Mizzou and Arkansas were also pretty far from good.

What would be your top 3 or top 5?

VCU
Scott & White / Texas A&M
U Kentucky
U Texas San Antonio
UTMB Galveston
U Tennessee Knoxville
UTSW
Penn State
Maine Med
U Vermont
WVU

Members don't see this ad :)

VCU
U Kentucky
U Texas San Antonio
UTMB Galveston
U Tennessee Knoxville
UTSW
Penn State
Maine Med
U Vermont
WVU

I interviewed at a few of those programs and UK was my favorite.

VCU
U Kentucky
U Texas San Antonio
UTMB Galveston
U Tennessee Knoxville
UTSW
Penn State
Maine Med
U Vermont
WVU

I've heard good things about uk. Vcu has moonlighting so that's something to consider. interviewed utmb and Penn state. Liked both programs. I really liked utmb except didn't like Galveston. Really wanted to like Galveston but couldn't. If it was a nicer city I would have ranked it number one.

UK would be my #1 on that list, for sure. It's a great program. I think I'd go Penn State and UT-Knoxville after that.

Truth be told, I didn't interview at WVU but heard nothing but positive things about it. It sounds like I may have been mislead.

there are similar posts earlier but it didn't have much response. west coaster here. want to work in california. any thoughts on:

ohsu - felt like a beautiful city to live in, good feel to the program, not sure about academics, didn't get a good feel on where residents ended up. during the dinner i asked about job placement and everyone just said it's hard to get a job in the portland area.
uc davis - the feel of the program felt great. unsure about their job placement but reassured us that residents were sought after.
uc irvine - didn't pick up any negatives, leadership said if u don't find a job, the will hire you as faculty, which i thought was impressive
usc - didn't get a good overall feel from the leadership, the pd was nice, didn't like the srna program, both residents and faculty seemed like they didn't like that the srna school was there. read that they have a good alumni private practice network.

there are similar posts earlier but it didn't have much response. west coaster here. want to work in california. any thoughts on:

ohsu - felt like a beautiful city to live in, good feel to the program, not sure about academics, didn't get a good feel on where residents ended up. during the dinner i asked about job placement and everyone just said it's hard to get a job in the portland area.
uc davis - the feel of the program felt great. unsure about their job placement but reassured us that residents were sought after.
uc irvine - didn't pick up any negatives, leadership said if u don't find a job, the will hire you as faculty, which i thought was impressive
usc - didn't get a good overall feel from the leadership, the pd was nice, didn't like the srna program, both residents and faculty seemed like they didn't like that the srna school was there. read that they have a good alumni private practice network.

UCI's huge negative for me was that they have to do so many away rotations to meet numbers. They have to do hearts and peds as aways and have reportedly mediocre/poor regional experience. Their intern year is also spent half in Long Beach, which is not exactly a nice commute depending on where you live. When I asked one of the residents what their strengths were he started talking about their GI anesthesia center which was a negative IMO.

Anyone have any thoughts on Loma Linda? They seem to have the numbers of a strong program, but the residents seemed too overconfident of their program's superiority which spooked me a little.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm at KU. I really like all the people (attendings and residents) here, and you'll get great training with decent work hours. That said, we're kind of in a state of flux with a new chair and the PD transitioning to a GME role. KC is a great place to live with a lot of fun stuff to do. It probably would've still made my top 5 even if wasn't in my hometown.

Of those you listed, I'd probably go West VA, Rochester, KU, Vermont, Nebraska, SLU, and then whatever combo floats your boat. You have decent options.

LSU Shreveport is beyond awful. As I noted in another post, I would literally rather do a prelim year and try to get an advanced spot next year than go there, based on what I've heard and from what a close friend experienced. Mizzou and Arkansas were also pretty far from good.

Yeah, I've been getting the same feedback about LSU. That makes me sad. The people there were nice and the new PD seems like he wants to improve the program badly. But the name is tainted.

I knew WVU's cycle was 2-year, but I was kind of ambivalent about the program. Loved the area though.

I wish Feb. 20 would just hurry up and get here already.

Disappointing to hear about Missouri and Arkansas - I wonder if anyone else can weigh in on this? I prefer to stay in the Midwest for family reasons, but I did end up ranking Rochester, Vermont and Baystate a little higher than I might have.

I really did like Vermont - but looking at the cost of living there, wow. Housing is really really expensive and I wasn't expecting that.

UCI's huge negative for me was that they have to do so many away rotations to meet numbers. They have to do hearts and peds as aways and have reportedly mediocre/poor regional experience. Their intern year is also spent half in Long Beach, which is not exactly a nice commute depending on where you live. When I asked one of the residents what their strengths were he started talking about their GI anesthesia center which was a negative IMO.

Anyone have any thoughts on Loma Linda? They seem to have the numbers of a strong program, but the residents seemed too overconfident of their program's superiority which spooked me a little.

Yeah I agree with what both of you guys said. I thought Loma Linda was the best out of the SoCal programs (vs USC & UCI). I think their peds exposure was top-notch. Their peds match was incredible this year. That definitely blew me away. But I think they were pretty good in everything else. But I can see the overconfidence is a possibility too. I think Loma is the only one I would do in CA even though I'm from SoCal.

Though I know moving back to CA might be an uphill battle if I don't do residency there. But I figure you only have one chance at getting a good residency training. And the 3 things I wanted to be strong in upon graduating is regional, peds, and hearts. And it seemed like USC & UCI had deficits in at least one or two of those areas. Their residents all seemed to say Loma Linda's regional was okay and improving.

I would say that at USC the CA-3 who gave us a tour in Jan was still looking for a job. And I wasn't entirely impressed with their fellowship match (this year or years previous). So that did scare me a bit. Sounds like their network can't be that amazing if the CA-3 is still looking in late Jan. Then even scarier is you can't rely on their fellowship match as a back-up for a job.

Personal opinion, but I think UCI work hours & aways would be big negatives. Especially in SoCal with traffic. And I think their training could be better in most areas (especially cardiac & peds).

I would say that at USC the CA-3 who gave us a tour in Jan was still looking for a job. And I wasn't entirely impressed with their fellowship match (this year or years previous). So that did scare me a bit. Sounds like their network can't be that amazing if the CA-3 is still looking in late Jan. Then even scarier is you can't rely on their fellowship match as a back-up for a job.

Personal opinion, but I think UCI work hours & aways would be big negatives. Especially in SoCal with traffic. And I think their training could be better in most areas (especially cardiac & peds).
thank you guys for your input. i really appreciate it.

I would say that at USC the CA-3 who gave us a tour in Jan was still looking for a job. And I wasn't entirely impressed with their fellowship match (this year or years previous). So that did scare me a bit. Sounds like their network can't be that amazing if the CA-3 is still looking in late Jan . Then even scarier is you can't rely on their fellowship match as a back-up for a job.

Not sure how much of a big deal this may be. On a fair number of my interviews, I spoke with a a good number of CA-3s who had not secured positions yet, especially in a tighter job market like California, NY, etc. Some of those that I spoke with who were still looking for positions mentioned they had received some offers but they were waiting it out to try and select a position that was more to their liking. Not knowing much about the the timeline for accepting offers myself, maybe former residents can comment at which point they typically secured a position in their CA-3 year.

Not sure how much of a big deal this may be. On a fair number of my interviews, I spoke with a a good number of CA-3s who had not secured positions yet, especially in a tighter job market like California, NY, etc. Some of those that I spoke with who were still looking for positions mentioned they had received some offers but they were waiting it out to try and select a position that was more to their liking. Not knowing much about the the timeline for accepting offers myself, maybe former residents can comment at which point they typically secured a position in their CA-3 year.

Same. Met a lot of residents who said they had not even started looking for jobs yet. And those that did seemed to have really good gigs lined up in rural areas.

Can any CA-3's chime in on the average timeline for getting jobs?

Out of those places, I only interviewed at uci and usc. I like both of them, although they both have some flaws.
UCI - great chair and PD. Residents seem to get along really well. They have to do rotation at away hospitals for peds, hearts, OB. I guess this could be a positive or negative depending on your preference (they spin it as a positive as a chance to network with other hospitals). Smaller program (~10 residents per class), I personally like a larger class.
USC - I thought USC was great in most aspects except for research. Really lacking in research, not academic. But if you're set on private practice, it seems like this is the place to go, their networking is excellent (some of the private practice groups in cali are started by USC grads so they always get priority whenever they have opening). Most of the CA-3s that I talked to already secured a job, there are some there are still looking, but I interviewed in november so it might still be early? (not sure what the timeline is for jobs postgrad). Very few fellowship matches and most go into private practice. But the training is excellent (they have county hospital and private hospital, so you get exposure to both kinds of settings). Large volume (trauma, transplants...no problem meeting numbers). Residents are all really happy. New PD recently which is a very strong residents advocate (she changed the way residents and crna/srna are assigned to cases so they no longer compete or share cases, residents always get priority)

Last edited:
Anybody have any suggestions on my current ROL? (In order of preference)

University of Arizona
Texas Tech

Baystate
Wayne State
University of Mississippi
St. Barnabas
West Penn Allegheny

SUNY Downstate - financial status of the Downstate system in danger?
NYMC - very disinterested, disorganized interview day. Seemed like they only wanted warm bodies.
LSU Shreveport - track record issues.

I'm especially having a lot of trouble with the "middle" of the ROL, but would appreciate feedback on any of the programs.

My goal is to obtain the best fellowship program possible. Don't care about location at all.

Anybody have any suggestions on my current ROL? (In order of preference)

University of Arizona
Texas Tech

Baystate
Wayne State
University of Mississippi
St. Barnabas
West Penn Allegheny

SUNY Downstate - financial status of the Downstate system in danger?
NYMC - very disinterested, disorganized interview day. Seemed like they only wanted warm bodies.
LSU Shreveport - track record issues.

I'm especially having a lot of trouble with the "middle" of the ROL, but would appreciate feedback on any of the programs.

My goal is to obtain the best fellowship program possible. Don't care about location at all.

I think your list is in the order that I would rank it. I would choose Arizona and Texas tech above all others.

Time is flying!!

Anyone care to take a look at my ROL and comment? Really I have no preference where I am. I know this list doesn't consist the your UCSF, MGH type programs, but Im happy with what I have. Ideally doing a fellowship would be the choice, but really I'm unsure. So this is my list in order as it currently is

UT Houston
CCF
Case
Umiami
Saint Lukes roosevelt
Louisville
UMKC
UTMB
Mississippi
SUNy upstate
St barnabas
SUNY downstate
Case/metro

Hi everyone! I would really appreciate some help with opinions on my rank list order. I've already eliminated some (will go at the bottom of the list) and I'm now trying to order these 8 which I liked for different reasons. :help:

I'm particularly concerned with educational experience and reputation/track record for fellowship purposes...location/city are not as important to me.

• University of Kentucky
  • George Washington
  • University of Florida--Gainesville
  • UPMC
  • UC San Diego
  • University of Colorado
  • University of Rochester (NY)
  • Penn State
Which places do you think would be best as far as good training and setting me up for a competitive fellowship? Thanks in advance!!

Hi everyone! I would really appreciate some help with opinions on my rank list order. I've already eliminated some (will go at the bottom of the list) and I'm now trying to order these 8 which I liked for different reasons. :help:

I'm particularly concerned with educational experience and reputation/track record for fellowship purposes...location/city are not as important to me.

• University of Kentucky
  • George Washington
  • University of Florida--Gainesville
  • UPMC
  • UC San Diego
  • University of Colorado
  • University of Rochester (NY)
  • Penn State
Which places do you think would be best as far as good training and setting me up for a competitive fellowship? Thanks in advance!!
Interviewed at 3 of these

UPMC: big caseload b/c they owned all the hospitals in the city but you're driving to each hospital and learning the environment and staff and then have to switch to the next hospital like switching hospitals on rotations in med schools which is a bummer for me because I like working and getting to know the people I work with. Faculty seemed really resident supportive and nice but not well connected (ie not great for fellowship placement which depends a lot on phone calls from what I heard). Good ICU and moonlighting. I thought pittsburgh had a low cost of living compared to other big NE cities, but the city was a negative, very small compared to philly, NY Bmore or any other NE city, nightlife was surprisingly lame according to resident who I talked with who said its not that great being single there. Surprisingly not as strong in research given their size. Gotta love winter

Uof FL: Great weather. Well connected faculty with a program that seems to get to know their residents, thought I'd have a good future here for job placement or fellowship. I thought the residents seemed happy.

Penn State: Little gem in rural PA from what I've heard. Great didactics, get every referral from central PA which is a big area vs. philly which each hospital has it's own specialities. Peds hospital looked great, heard they're very strong in peds from a friend who did an away there and loved it. Not as strong night life, has harrisburg 15 min down the road, has a lot of outdoors stuff. Didn't seem like a lot of hours to me. Good support and administration seemed to dedicated to resident education and support for job/fellowship placement which is important for me

As a recent UPMC residency grad, I thought that I'd take a moment to clear up a couple of things. Yes, it is a large department with multiple clinical sites. The majority of time is spent at the main hospital (Presbyterian/Montefiore). As I recall, residents rotate through six additional hospitals (including the VA and Children's hospitals), with the option of going to other hospitals (including mission/overseas) if desired. The downsides of this are obvious and highlighted by prior comments (adjustment period, commuting, etc...). Having said that, the benefits of a large department with multiple sites are pretty compelling: large and diverse surgical volume, learning different approaches to given anesthetics/patients, learning to be flexible/adapt to new systems, etc... Although much has been made about the assumed difficulty of commuting to different sites, its really pretty painless. The majority of the hospitals that residents rotate through are within a ~10 min drive of the main hospital (you can choose to rotate at hospitals further afield but aren't required to) and parking is provided at each site. Also, its not as if you're bouncing between different sites on a daily basis (you're assigned to a given hospital/rotation on a monthly basis). Despite its size, over time you will get to know the attendings well. As regards fellowship, I think that its a competitive program (i.e. I'm doing cardiac and critical care fellowships at well known/regarded institutions). Feel free to drop me a PM if you have further/specific questions. Best of luck!

Hey guys,

Can I get your input on these four programs.

CCF vs CWRU/UH vs Mt Sinai vs UTMB ...

I find them all pretty interchangeable. From what it sounds like I think the moonlighting makes CWRU & Mt Sinai salaries the highest. But CCF and UTMB have moonlighting opportunities too. Otherwise I think all 4 seem to have similar reputations and teaching. Similar case variety. How would you guys rank it and why? Thanks!

Hey guys,

Can I get your input on these four programs.

CCF vs CWRU/UH vs Mt Sinai vs UTMB ...

I find them all pretty interchangeable. From what it sounds like I think the moonlighting makes CWRU & Mt Sinai salaries the highest. But CCF and UTMB have moonlighting opportunities too. Otherwise I think all 4 seem to have similar reputations and teaching. Similar case variety. How would you guys rank it and why? Thanks!

Dont be fooled by salary--New York has higher taxes than OH/TX and NYC has an astronomical cost of living compared to the others as well.

Really liked both UWashington and UChicago, location and program included. Any ideas on which one to place higher on my ROL?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to do a pedi anesthesia fellowship with no preference to location for residency although I want to return to Texas in the long run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

USC
Loma Linda
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
Virginia Mason
University of Washington
University of Kentucky
University of Oklahoma
UTMB
UTSW
Baylor
Tulane
UAB
Georgia HSU
University of Virginia

Hey everyone, I'm looking to do a pedi anesthesia fellowship with no preference to location for residency although I want to return to Texas in the long run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

USC
Loma Linda
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
Virginia Mason
University of Washington
University of Kentucky
University of Oklahoma
UTMB
UTSW
Baylor
Tulane
UAB
Georgia HSU
University of Virginia

If you are looking to go into peds and ultimately end up in Texas, it's tough to pass up on Baylor with a subsequent fellowship at Texas Children's.

Like Lush, I'm a UPMC guy. I'm open to any questions about the program.

When I speak with applicants, I do mention that travel among sites is a bummer, as is learning varied faculty/hospital systems, when you're new to UPMC. I have yet to hear "I wish I didn't rank this place" from a resident related to having to drive between sites however; I never worried about it coming into the program, and don't think it's all that bad now. I think the flexibility & experiences gained working in various locations is a huge benefit.

Regarding fellowships, my CA3 class' list is as such:
- 2 doing CCM and Cardiac (1 - Vanderbilt for both, 1 - Michigan then Clev Clinic)
- 1 doing CCM (UPMC)
- 4 doing Cardiac ( 2 UPMC, 1 UTSW, 1 Cleveland Clinic)
- 6 doing Peds (1 Ohio State, 3 UPMC, 1 CHOP, 1 Boston Children's)
- 1 doing Pain (West Penn)
My impression is people get fellowships that they want. There may be a more prominent name in Peds Anesthesia than the Chief at Children's (Peter Davis), I just don't know who it would be.

I like Pittsburgh, and would suppose you'd have to live here to really know whether or not it suits your fancy. Many of us not from Pittsburgh like it. "Pittsburgh is a smaller city than Philly or NY" is an oft-mentioned comment; that shows an astute, in-depth command of the obvious.

I ranked UPMC first because of the vast clinical experience and strong dedication to resident education. I'm glad I came here for residency. I also understand that there are probably dozens of places that can give you an outstanding clinical and educational experience for a career in anesthesiology. My advice: go with your gut feeling

So, I'm pretty sure of my top 3. Need help with the following:

UCI
Einstein
Drexel
UIC
U wash
Maryland
U of Rochester
St luke's
VCU
UMDNJ RWJ
SUNY Buffalo

I really liked UW, but from east coast and was concerned about distance (No friends or family in Seatle). Interested in fellowship opps in the future.

I applied very late, so I only have 5 ranks. Any input on how I should rank? I just want the best quality of training possible. No geographic preferences. I will most likely want to do a fellowship. Here's my list:

Rush
Wayne State/DMC
Allegheny/West Penn
Drexel
Einstein

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

How about ranking these:

WashU
UPMC
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
UMich

Thanks!

Location not important but finding a good fellowship and job afterwards northwest coast after residency.

How about ranking these:

WashU
UPMC
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
UMich

Thanks!

Location not important but finding a good fellowship and job afterwards northwest coast after residency.

man, really no location preference between living in NYC vs living in a big midwestern city vs living in a little college town???

but playing the location-free game, i'd say Mich might have the strongest connections nationally with Tremper and large graduating classes for a lot of years, thus maybe something like - Mich > WashU > UPMC = Cornell and I don't know much about Sinai

bascially they're all great, figure out where you want to live

posted in wrong thread

Last edited:
Maybe this is the best location for this post...?

I know for some it does not matter but for me I want to go where I think would be the best fit but also to a program that wants me so to that end:

I would be happy at any of my top 4 but would be nice to know that I am very wanted somewhere :(

Brigham - my friend received an email from the PD (he showed me the email) saying he is absolutely ranked to match. This is my first choice and I got nothing :(

Stanford - my friend (and me) received a phone call from the chair TODAY (both went into voicemail) - my friend's saying he is guaranteed to match there if he ranks them #1. My voicemail on the other hand said it is "highly likely" I will match there if ranked #1

MGH - my friend received an email from the PD last week saying he will definitely match there if he ranks them number one - I did not receive anything from them but they are not in my Top 5 anyway

My friend is a stud, AOA, destroyed the boards, etc...

Has anybody heard from any of the above places or Columbia, UPenn, or Hopkins - which are my #2-4 after Brigham? I hope everyone is glad interviews are over and best of luck on the match!!!

It's considered bad form to post the same thing to multiple threads.