Match 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that this years Match, 2024, was the most competitive for Anesthesiology in decades. Please feel free to chime in on just how competitive Anesthesiology has become in 2024.

Members don't see this ad.

The last 2 years has been ridiculously competitive at our program. We’ve been matching down our rank list to total spots + 0.5x total spots (I.e if we had 15 spots we would matriculate applicants from our top 23 ranks or so). We have fresh ms1s trying to get involved with our department starting that early. Wild

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think if I were applying now I would not have made it. Board score embarrassingly low and no honors in any rotation except my anesthesiology sub I because they were always nice to you if you wanted to be an anesthesiologist.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I think if I were applying now I would not have made it. Board score embarrassingly low and no honors in any rotation except my anesthesiology sub I because they were always nice to you if you wanted to be an anesthesiologist.
Last couple years of residency when interviewing applicants, I was constantly blown away and always amazed I ever made it into residency. All I had going for me was good board scores. No research, went to a DO school, no connections, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Kids these days want
1. Lifestyle
2. Money

The two hot fields are psych (I know psych working inpatient 400k (830am-12p) w2

Than eat lunch

And roll to their own house and do remote tele psych side gigs 1099 to see bs fibromyalgia mental health illlness patients from out of state for another 100-200k in side gig income.

Anesthesia offers money with locums. That’s the appeal. Flexible hours if doing part time or traveling

One of our newer grads is gonna to bail soon to do locums. That’s what I would recommend if you aren’t married and no kids.

As for the match
Look very closely at us md match rate for the specialities.

Emergency medicine bounced back to 95.5% but 45% filled by Foreign grads. Love the communist spin machine by the nrmp press release blaming Covid for EM declining match rates. No it’s due to arnp and fm and im taking less money

As for anesthesia we are living in a big bubble. Take advantage of it for the next couple of years till hospitals figure how to control cost. There is no cost containment these days especially in semi rural areas. (That’s the money ball areas to make money). 30 min from the outer suburbs of cities.

Reactions: 6 users
Kids these days want
1. Lifestyle
2. Money

The two hot fields are psych (I know psych working inpatient 400k (830am-12p) w2

Than eat lunch

And roll to their own house and do remote tele psych side gigs 1099 to see bs fibromyalgia mental health illlness patients from out of state for another 100-200k in side gig income.

Anesthesia offers money with locums. That’s the appeal. Flexible hours if doing part time or traveling

One of our newer grads is gonna to bail soon to do locums. That’s what I would recommend if you aren’t married and no kids.

As for the match

Emergency medicine bounced back to 95.5% but 45% filled by Foreign grads. Love the communist spin machine by the nrmp press release blaming Covid for EM declining match rates. No it’s due to arnp and fm and im taking less money

As for anesthesia we are living in a big bubble. Take advantage of it for the next couple of years till hospitals figure how to control cost. There is no cost containment these days especially in semi rural areas. (That’s the money ball areas to make money). 30 min from the outer suburbs of cities.

The two hot fields are psych… than eat lunch???
What the heck are you talking about? You are comparing psych to eating lunch? How is that related?

The two hot fields are psych… than eat lunch???
What the heck are you talking about? You are comparing psych to eating lunch? How is that related?
Psych barely works. They don’t come in till 830am. That means most can hit the gym at 630am or sleep in till 730am

We don’t have time for lunch in anesthesia just hope to squeeze 30 min and often times is interrupted lunch with calls from pacu or preop nurses.

Psych is easy. Just have to put up with many incurable mental illness where people can’t solve their own problems

Kids these days want
1. Lifestyle
2. Money

Than eat lunch

As for the match

Yeah anesthesia is okay for now. So will new grads keep pressure on the market for decent salaries with good lifestyle? I don’t expect salaries to stay in the 550-650k range. Hospitals are going to drop them once every good group has imploded. At least that’s how I see it in IL. I’m sure most hospitals have at most 3 year employee contracts which will be up for renewal just in time. Hope all the residents are smart and move away. And can always hope more docs retire to keep the demand going.

Reactions: 3 users
Psych barely works. They don’t come in till 830am. That means most can hit the gym at 630am or sleep in till 730am

We don’t have time for lunch in anesthesia just hope to squeeze 30 min and often times is interrupted lunch with calls from pacu or preop nurses.

Psych is easy. Just have to put up with many incurable mental illness where people can’t solve their own problems
I know. I was just mocking you.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah anesthesia is okay for now. So will new grads keep pressure on the market for decent salaries with good lifestyle? I don’t expect salaries to stay in the 550-650k range. Hospitals are going to drop them once every good group has imploded. At least that’s how I see it in IL. I’m sure most hospitals have at most 3 year employee contracts which will be up for renewal just in time. Hope all the residents are smart and move away. And can always hope more docs retire to keep the demand going.
It’s stupid to sign 3 year employment contract. I had place offer 100k/3 years bonus. I’m like try 50k one year and I bail. U get tax hit at the bonus. It’s not worth it and ties u in (at least psychologically)

Gotta be like lebron James or Kd when they sign 1 plus 1 contracts to maximize their money. And free to leave after one year while taking the max money available

Asianizer
·5 days ago·edited 5 days ago
MD-PGY1
Feeling that 100%.
Applied anesthesia, USMD, 25x Step 2 and great letters/decent grades, 13 interviews gave me a >95% chance and I ended up at a TY. Truly the worst day of my life, no exaggeration.
But the adage is true - it gets worse before it gets better

level 2
Melodic_Wrap827
·5 days ago·edited 5 days ago
M-4
Applied anesthesia 255 step, great letters, decent grades, had research, leadership, volunteering, 10 interviews
I am currently SOAPing, looks like I’m categorical IM bound
Edit: forgot to mention I’m also USMD with no red flags

level 2
Profknockedout
·4 hr. ago
Same here. US MD. Applied anesthesia 250 STEP 2, decent letters/ decent grades, 11 ranks, ended up SOAPing into EM in a desirable location at least. Feels bad. I’ve been crying for a week now.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s stupid to sign 3 year employment contract. I had place offer 100k/3 years bonus. I’m like try 50k one year and I bail. U get tax hit at the bonus. It’s not worth it and ties u in (at least psychologically)

Gotta be like lebron James or Kd when they sign 1 plus 1 contracts to maximize their money. And free to leave after one year while taking the max money available
When can we get to the part where we have a Deshaun Watson contract (without the vices) and get the entire salary guaranteed? Or perhaps negotiate to lower the cost cap by having the entire salary upfront as a bonus?

I’m not talking about the sign on bonus or whatever. That should only be prorated if at all. Then no need to pay back anything.

I was referring to a hospital megacorp then suddenly changing the comp after 3 years. Take it or leave it. Happens to surgeons. That kind of BS

I’m not talking about the sign on bonus or whatever. That should only be prorated if at all. Then no need to pay back anything.

I was referring to a hospital megacorp then suddenly changing the comp after 3 years. Take it or leave it. Happens to surgeons. That kind of BS
You leave. It’s dangerous game administration will play. They do lose jobs over this

But administration always tries to move up and out.

There was a major power struggle with admin from amc trying to exert its will on one of
The chiefs of a place last week.

The chief who clearly does not need the money. Family money plus spouse is executive so second income just quit on the spot.

Now is total chaos. So me and my buddy just high fiving each other. That’s another easy 20k-25k a weekend gig beeper we will extract from these poor decision administrators. Make them pay for bad decision. They just emailed me a list of dates they desperately need to cover now.

That’s why u should keep multiple hospital privileges.

You leave. It’s dangerous game administration will play. They do lose jobs over this

There was a major power struggle with admin from amc trying to exert its will on one of

The chief who clearly does not need the money. Family money plus spouse is executive so second income just quit on the spot.

Now is total chaos. So me and my buddy just high fiving each other. That’s another easy 20k-25k a weekend gig beeper we will extract from these poor decision administrators. Make them pay for bad decision. They just emailed me a list of dates they desperately need to cover now.

Where in the country is this? You referring to an anesthesia chief hired by the AMC?

love hearing these stories

Reactions: 2 users
Wish I had that F U money to just walk out. Don’t matter if difficult to get another job since that’s prob a red flag for any future employer

Just roll a D6.
1 - Wait and see (Do Nothing)
2 - SSRI
3 - ECT
4 - CBT
5 - CBD
6 - Wild

Just roll a D6.
1 - Wait and see (Do Nothing)
2 - SSRI
3 - ECT
4 - CBT
5 - CBD
6 - Wild
Dsm is 50% funded by the drug rep companies to make up whatever diagnosis they can make money off. Just remember that. That’s how much influence they have

Go back to 1982. Depression dsm 2 book says depression involved weight loss

Guess what? U can’t sell ssri anti depression drugs with dsm 2 saying u gotta be skinny

So u change the dsm diagnosis and include fat people into the depression diagnosis over the years to make money off ur drugs.

Damn. I def would not have matched if applying now. I spent the majority of my 4 years in med school chasing tail at the local bar using the (soon to be) doctor card

Some of the folks not matching and end up choosing something else may have averted a rude awakening in 4 years.

Unless a lot of people retire and CRNAs don’t go independent everywhere. Also we need more AAs if the solo practice model goes away.

Some of the folks not matching and end up choosing something else may have averted a rude awakening in 4 years.

Unless a lot of people retire and CRNAs don’t go independent everywhere. Also we need more AAs if the solo practice model goes away.

Due to age and gender, a lot of people are going to retire and a lot of people will work part-time.

“1. A total of 31,188 anesthesiologists (73.9 percent) are men and 11,032 (26.1 percent) are women.

2. There are 7,727 people per active anesthesiologist.

3. There are 42,220 active anesthesiologists in the country, 18,227 (43.1 percent) of which are younger than 55 and 24,029 (56.9 percent) are 55 or older.

Last edited:
So
Due to age and gender, a lot of people are going to retire and a lot of people will work part-time.

“1. A total of 31,188 anesthesiologists (73.9 percent) are men and 11,032 (26.1 percent) are women.

2. There are 7,727 people per active anesthesiologist.

3. There are 42,220 active anesthesiologists in the country, 18,227 (43.1 percent) of which are younger than 55 and 24,029 (56.9 percent) are 55 or older.

Yes. Seen that data. So looks like we will be forced into ACT models sooner rather than later. Hope everyone is part time otherwise call burden be brutal with that many less docs.

• Haha
So

Yes. Seen that data. So looks like we will be forced into ACT models sooner rather than later. Hope everyone is part time otherwise call burden be brutal with that many less docs.
Half of crna don’t want act model.

New Mexico model is independent model hybrid

Independent crnas make 450-500k working around 45-50 hr a week

Full time md makes 550-650k. Hours can vary 50-55 hours

Supervised crnas make
Half independent crnas. In the same OR!

That’s what blade mention many post ago about this type of model where docs get 10% more than independent crnas but at a cost.

Half of crna don’t want act model.

New Mexico model is independent model hybrid

Independent crnas make 450-500k working around 45-50 hr a week

Full time md makes 550-650k. Hours can vary 50-55 hours

Supervised crnas make
Half independent crnas. In the same OR!

That’s what blade mention many post ago about this type of model where docs get 10% more than independent crnas but at a cost.
Only a 50k delta possibly? Hopefully the CRNA is working a lot more doing maybe easier cases. Otherwise the MD is being watered down.

Only a 50k delta possibly? Hopefully the CRNA is working a lot more doing maybe easier cases. Otherwise the MD is being watered down.
That will be the new model. It’s coming

Notice the aana propaganda machine has stopped saying crnas are cheaper. They aren’t cheaper when comparing availability of days and hours.

Crnas are cheaper.

Aana just holds on to the “access” to critical needs to keep the rural hospitals to themselves. They don’t want to share with docs. There are crna locums making $250-300/hr at critical access hospital doing less cases but billing the same hours being available as docs actually working solo cases in big cities at much higher acuity.

Notice the aana propaganda machine has stopped saying crnas are cheaper. They aren’t cheaper when comparing availability of days and hours.

Crnas are cheaper.

Aana just holds on to the “access” to critical needs to keep the rural hospitals to themselves. They don’t want to share with docs. There are crna locums making $250-300/hr at critical access hospital doing less cases but billing the same hours being available as docs actually working solo cases in big cities at much higher acuity.
that’s w2 or 1099? Cuz if it’s W2 😵‍💫 even if in the boonies

Crnas are cheaper.

They want the ability to be able to practice independently rurally but they don’t want to practice rural. 95% of them wouldn’t leave the cities or suburbs for critical access sites. Just propaganda and power.

In Australia we don't have a "match." But for anaesthesia training at my hospital we had something like 150 applicants for 5 jobs. We're a good hospital, but damn...

All of them PGY3+ (can't apply before completing internship and one additional general year).

Most of them PGY4+. A number of them PGY5+ with one or two years of ICU work under their belt. Some PGY7+ with years of surgery/ICU/ER, etc and some already half way through exams.

Then there were ~15 people who already had 1-4 years of anaesthesia training who were applying to those hospital. Many who were UK imports, some who were sitting their fellowship (exit) exams in the UK while awaiting Australian permanent residency.

For 5 jobs.

How many of us would've gotten in?

In Australia we don't have a "match." But for anaesthesia training at my hospital we had something like 150 applicants for 5 jobs. We're a good hospital, but damn...

All of them PGY3+ (can't apply before completing internship and one additional general year).

Most of them PGY4+. A number of them PGY5+ with one or two years of ICU work under their belt. Some PGY7+ with years of surgery/ICU/ER, etc and some already half way through exams.

Then there were ~15 people who already had 1-4 years of anaesthesia training who were applying to those hospital. Many who were UK imports, some who were sitting their fellowship (exit) exams in the UK while awaiting Australian permanent residency.

For 5 jobs.

How many of us would've gotten in?
Anesthesia residency is like 500 applicants for 5-10 spots

Anesthesia residency is like 500 applicants for 5-10 spots
That’s because they make it easier to apply to
Mutiple programs these days.

I think I applied to 18-20 programs? Interview at 8? Travel cost hotel etc. it can get expensive.

How many programs do people apply to these days? 50? Interview at 10?

Enjoy it while it lasts guys!

This was Emergency Medicine 10 years ago...

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
That’s because they make it easier to apply to
Mutiple programs these days.

I think I applied to 18-20 programs? Interview at 8? Travel cost hotel etc. it can get expensive.

How many programs do people apply to these days? 50? Interview at 10?
I applied to 70 and interviewed at 7

Enjoy it while it lasts guys!

This was Emergency Medicine 10 years ago...
The difference is our "advanced nurse providers" are getting upwards of $200 per hour to do their jobs with some getting even more money. That was the rate I was getting from AMCs for my part time work just 4 years ago.

They want the ability to be able to practice independently rurally but they don’t want to practice rural. 95% of them wouldn’t leave the cities or suburbs for critical access sites. Just propaganda and power.

The CRNAs working independently in these rural areas would never be allowed to work anywhere else because they usually suck bigtime and nobody anywhere else would ever accept such poor quality. I've seen a bunch of these "independent" CRNAs doing locums. God help their patients.

• Haha
The difference is our "advanced nurse providers" are getting upwards of $200 per hour to do their jobs with some getting even more money. That was the rate I was getting from AMCs for my part time work just 4 years ago.

And you don't think hospitals are feverishly trying to figure out how to control these costs? Or is there just no limit to these income increases?

And you don't think hospitals are feverishly trying to figure out how to control these costs? Or is there just no limit to these income increases?
My point was the "cat is out of the bag" as CRNAs aren't going to take a pay cut. The best hospitals can hope for is a stabilization of the pay. This means Anesthesiologists are looking at $250 per hour, worst case scenario, which is still decent pay. This isn't EM by a long shot.

My point was the "cat is out of the bag" as CRNAs aren't going to take a pay cut. The best hospitals can hope for is a stabilization of the pay. This means Anesthesiologists are looking at $250 per hour, worst case scenario, which is still decent pay. This isn't EM by a long shot.

ERs don't make money.
ORs make money. And you need people to staff those ORs otherwise money printer doesn't go Brrrrrrrr

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Makes sense. EM isn't seeing decreases either and 250/hr is a pretty standard EM pay. But "golden ages" are usually fueled by shortages and if you don't think PE and hospitals are working on correcting the anesthesiology shortage then I dunno what to say.

ERs don't make money.
ORs make money. And you need people to staff those ORs otherwise money printer doesn't go Brrrrrrrr

It's all fancy accounting.

ERs "don't make money" because the bean counters don't attribute all those fancy spine procedures and other surgeries that are generated from ER referrals to us.

Same way anesthesiologists "don't make money" as you're just a "necessary evil" from.admins POV to enable the surgeon.

It's all fancy accounting.

ERs "don't make money" because the bean counters don't attribute all those fancy spine procedures and other surgeries that are generated from ER referrals to us.

Same way anesthesiologists "don't make money" as you're just a "necessary evil" from.admins POV to enable the surgeon.

ER referrals are just that. Referrals. Just like a referral from FM or IM or chiro or pain clinic. You want kickbacks?

ERs don't make money.
ER facilities fees do make tons of money. Have u seen the bills?

The actual payment (the super bill
Was even higher)

The hospital er got $1700 for my daughter abdominal pain facility fee

ER doc got $531

Labs and fees got paid $30

Those were the actual payments.

That’s simple visit the primary care referral to real ER. So we tried to save costs going to pcp first

Now my friend Emergency room urology stones visit was even more outrageous 21k for hospital facilities fees ER
$800 for ER doc.

Urology is huge money maker for hospitals anything urology related.

Thats why urologists try to keep all the outpatient urology stuff to their own clinics and outpatient centers to keep
The money themselves