2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Texas native looking to stay in the Southeast (wife prefers Texas). Would appreciate input as it pertains to my top 5. Definitely going to pursue fellowship, but undecided which one(s). Ultimately hoping to practice in Texas.

Scott and White (Texas A&M)
Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Virginia
Baylor

Members don't see this ad.

Texas native looking to stay in the Southeast (wife prefers Texas). Would appreciate input as it pertains to my top 5. Definitely going to pursue fellowship, but undecided which one(s). Ultimately hoping to practice in Texas.

Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Virginia
Baylor

I can tell you your top 3:

Happy wife = happy life. :nod:

reposting since it was at the bottom of page 2 : Which is more important to land a private practice job in SoCal? Local residency in a decent program (loma Linda) or a strong national program with strong alumni networks (umich, ohsu, upitt, ccf)? I feel like I would be happier at a residency outside so cal but if regional networking is that important I might have to think twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
From an outsiders prospective (haven't applied yet), are there any bad Anesthesia programs? I get how their are top programs and then lesser ones, but most of the programs I've heard about on this board are generally decent at the least.

Basically, to my eyes it seems that a specialty like Gen. Surgery or Internal Med. has more crappy programs where the quality of your residency is in doubt.

reposting since it was at the bottom of page 2 : Which is more important to land a private practice job in SoCal? Local residency in a decent program (loma Linda) or a strong national program with strong alumni networks (umich, ohsu, upitt, ccf)? I feel like I would be happier at a residency outside so cal but if regional networking is that important I might have to think twice.

From residents I've talked to, it seems like regional networking is better for private practice job. When I interviewed at this one socal program, they were saying how private practice jobs are emailing their residents for job opening before they open it to public. So if you're set for socal private practice jobs, going to loma linda is probably better. Unless you manage to go to like MGH, where you can get pretty much anything you want, those residents already got job/fellowship offers as CA-2.

But like everyone says, go to where you'll be happy. If you'll be happy at programs outside socal, then go there.

Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Virginia
Baylor

All are very different. Houston isn't for everyone for starters. Scott & White is in a much smaller town than Houston or Dallas as I'm sure you know. If you wife likes Texas Virginia is probably out. Personally I ranked my top choices on gut feeling about where I'd be happy to spend 4 years. That's a long time if your wife is unhappy!

I am really confused about how to rank my list.

My top 4 are: MGH, Columbia, NYU, UMiami.

Others include: UC Irvine, UC Davis, UMDNJ-NJMS, UMDNJ-RWJMS, UF-Jax, BU.

I have heard many things about all these programs, but can't seem to rank my top 4 in any particular order. Any insight?

Would appreciate help ranking OHSU, Columbia, UWashington, and UCLA in terms of general happiness (single, no kids) and ability to land a strong fellowship/job position on the West Coast afterwards. Thanks.

From an outsiders prospective (haven't applied yet), are there any bad Anesthesia programs? I get how their are top programs and then lesser ones, but most of the programs I've heard about on this board are generally decent at the least.

Basically, to my eyes it seems that a specialty like Gen. Surgery or Internal Med. has more crappy programs where the quality of your residency is in doubt.
There are a few. LSU-Shreveport is the only one I can think of off the top of my head where I'd be concerned about getting bad training and being unprepared for professional life, but GHSU (or whatever Georgia is called these days) got a pretty spectacularly bad rap last year, as well.

Rank these for me please.

No regional bias. Interested in a fellowship.

In alphabetical order:

Columbia U
Dartmouth
Mayo Clinic Rochester
New York U
Oregon Health Science U
U Alabama
U Chicago
U Michigan
U Pennsylvania
U Virginia
U Washington
Washington U STL
Yale U

Last edited:
Rank these for me please.

No regional bias. Interested in a fellowship.

In alphabetical order:

Columbia U
Dartmouth
Mayo Clinic Rochester
New York U
Oregon Health Science U
U Alabama
U Chicago
U Michigan
U Pennsylvania
U Virginia
U Washington
Washington U STL
Yale U

If your only criteria is getting a fellowship I'd rank like 3/4 of those programs as tied for #1.

If your only criteria is getting a fellowship I'd rank like 3/4 of those programs as tied for #1.

Yeah you'd have to be more specific. What type of fellowship? Where'd you want to do fellowship or end up? Most of those programs are upper tier.

Yeah you'd have to be more specific. What type of fellowship? Where'd you want to do fellowship or end up? Most of those programs are upper tier.

Hmm... Okay which ones arent quite as good for getting fellowships?

I like critical care and cardiac. Less interested in the other ones, but feel that I should have reasonable exposure to all areas as part of a anesthesiology residency training.

Also quality of life is important to me. eg cost of living, entertainment, (standard qol stuff most people think about.)

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a list of USC fellowship placement? I couldn't find it anywhere on their website

Hmm... Okay which ones arent quite as good for getting fellowships?

I like critical care and cardiac. Less interested in the other ones, but feel that I should have reasonable exposure to all areas as part of a anesthesiology residency training.

Also quality of life is important to me. eg cost of living, entertainment, (standard qol stuff most people think about.)

Thanks for the help!

You have way too many on your list. You probably have to think a little more for yourself.

Does anyone have a list of USC fellowship placement? I couldn't find it anywhere on their website

After my discussion with the residents I was not too impressed with their fellowship placement. I think on this forum it was mentioned that a few years ago a class had only two do a fellowship. I know this year USC has someone doing pain and hearts both at USC. I remember i was impressed by only two of their placements one person is going to Mt Sinai forget what for.... One going to chla.

You have way too many on your list. You probably have to think a little more for yourself.

Ya I agree with this poster. Your list is very long with all very similar programs. And you mention no specifics aside from very broad generalizations. With that being said, just go with your gut if u have no family ties.

I am really confused about how to rank my list.

My top 4 are: MGH, Columbia, NYU, UMiami.

Others include: UC Irvine, UC Davis, UMDNJ-NJMS, UMDNJ-RWJMS, UF-Jax, BU.

I have heard many things about all these programs, but can't seem to rank my top 4 in any particular order. Any insight?

Unless a tan is really important to you, MGH >> Columbia>NYU>UMiami.

Can't go wrong with Man's Greatest Hospital.

Ya I agree with this poster. Your list is very long with all very similar programs. And you mention no specifics aside from very broad generalizations. With that being said, just go with your gut if u have no family ties.

Okay cool. I have ranked the programs in terms of which ones I liked best (not posted on SDN), but was just wondering if anyone else had some tips. If they all are good in everyone's opinion, then Ill probably go with what I have.

Okay cool. I have ranked the programs in terms of which ones I liked best (not posted on SDN), but was just wondering if anyone else had some tips. If they all are good in everyone's opinion, then Ill probably go with what I have.

Atta boy!

How would anyone rate these five programs just on name recognition alone?

UPenn
Mayo
UChicago
WashU
CCF

How would anyone rate these five programs just on name recognition and fellowship placement alone?

UPenn
Mayo
UChicago
WashU
CCF

How about this order for my top three?

1. VCU
2. Scott & White
3. U Kentucky

I'd appreciate any advice/opinions.

How would anyone rate these five programs just on name recognition and fellowship placement alone?

UPenn
Mayo
UChicago
WashU
CCF

4/5 are in the midwest, is that where you're interested in being? those are all great programs that would get great fellowships, but penn is better recognized and does better on the east (the east in general is pretty high on itself so if you plan on staying it's a plus to train here). the midwest is not terribly competitive - except chicago - so any of those programs would get you great options.

i know you didn't ask to consider this, but all these cities are relatively cheap and philly and chicago would be my picks geographically.

Need a little help on my top programs 5

Iowa
UTHSC San Antonio
Case UH
tOSU
MCW

Considerations are work hours, training, reputation and fellowship opps (pain or peds likely). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My favorites have been Hopkins, Columbia, Washington, VM, OHSU, UCSF and Stanford. Goal is to possibly practice in a rural location (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington or Oregon) after training in a big metro area +/- fellowship. Or I might want to just head to Seattle after training and settle down for various reasons. No ties to anywhere in the country, which is making it very difficult to come up with an order for these 7 outstanding programs.

Based on my goals I think UW/VM/OHSU might make sense, but its hard to pass up the prospect of training at a powerhouse on the east or west coast. I would definitely be happy at any of these places no matter what order I come to. Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts.

Anyone have thoughts on Northwestern? Just curious on the hours and if they felt residents were overworked?

On my interview day, felt as though all the residents seemed quite tired and a few were saying they were getting there at 6am and leaving between 6-8pm everyday, working 2 weekends/mo.

I'm trying to gauge where to rank it vs BIDMC (Beth Israel) and UCSF in terms of lifestyle and hours, etc... any help would be appreciated!

My favorites have been Hopkins, Columbia, Washington, VM, OHSU, UCSF and Stanford. Goal is to possibly practice in a rural location (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington or Oregon) after training in a big metro area +/- fellowship. Or I might want to just head to Seattle after training and settle down for various reasons. No ties to anywhere in the country, which is making it very difficult to come up with an order for these 7 outstanding programs.

Based on my goals I think UW/VM/OHSU might make sense, but its hard to pass up the prospect of training at a powerhouse on the east or west coast. I would definitely be happy at any of these places no matter what order I come to. Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts.
I'm in a very similar situation myself which is making it hard to choose. Don't over think it and go with your gut. Maybe we will end up at the same place =]

Having some trouble ranking these. Location aside, how would you rank the programs regarding training and reputation?

Rush
Cedars-Sinai
St. Luke's
MUSC
CCF

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I could you really use some help with my rank list, I just want to go to the best program I can get into.

DMC/WSU
Henry Ford
LSU-Shreveport
Maimonides
Minnesota
Nebraska
Penn State
Rochester
St. Josephs
William Beaumont

Hi everyone,

I could you really use some help with my rank list, I just want to go to the best program I can get into.

DMC/WSU
Henry Ford
LSU-Shreveport
Maimonides
Minnesota
Nebraska
Penn State
Rochester
St. Josephs
William Beaumont

Best is a relative term. All of these (with a couple exceptions) will provide good clinical training. What else are you looking for? I would rank Penn state as no. 1 cuz it is an academic medical ctr program (thus fellowship/research opportunities will be better. And it is not in the middle of nowhere. Nebraska 2nd. Again, academic program, but in the middle of nowhere. Lemme correct myself, I'd rank Rochester in. 1. It is 'probably/maybe/could be' the strongest program on the list. Hershey Penn no. 2, Nebraska/Minnesota, Wayne state, so on and so forth. Didn't interview at any of these so speaking from what I have seen/heard from others. Also, career academic, thus biased in favor of academic medical ctrs.

I was speaking in general and don't have specific information about any of these programs. The best and worst are those that you felt are the best and worst for you on and after the day of the interview.

Which are the exceptions? Shreveport? Beaumont?

Beaumont is tough because they haven't had a graduating class yet so it's tough to figure out how they will do with job placement/ fellowships.

I think Shreveport had some trouble in the past so I would probably rank that last.

I would put Rochester as 1, and then Nebraska/Penn State at 2/3 whichever gave you the best feel. Then go down in order from biggest academic places.

In alphabetical order:

BID
Cornell
Emory
Mount Sinai
Northwestern
Yale

My rank list changes daily...

What are people's thoughts on Maimonides? St. Josephs? Henry Ford? HF seems like a solid program but has the reputation that residents work a lot. Seemed like solid fellowship placement. Got a better feel than DMC/WSU down the street.

Any advice on my current rank list? Having trouble deciding between reputation and location (family in Chicago). #1-3 are set. The rest of the list is always in flux..

4. WashU
5. MCW
6. UIC
7. Loyola
8. UWisc-Madison
9. Rush
10. CCF
11. Case Western UH

Thanks!

Anyone want to play with the middle-bottom of my rank list? Already have my top 3 pretty figured out.

4. NYU
5. Pitt
6. UNC
7. Cleveland Clinic
8. Tufts
9. Jefferson
10. U. Miami
11. Georgetown
12. Montefiore
13. Downstate

Which are the exceptions? Shreveport? Beaumont?

Quite frankly, I don't think I would even rank Shreveport. Based on the tales of one friend/resident (who has since quit) and two students (now interns) I interviewed with who went there, it sounds like the worst place on earth. I honestly think you'd be better off doing a prelim year than going there.

Any advice on my current rank list? Having trouble deciding between reputation and location (family in Chicago). #1-3 are set. The rest of the list is always in flux..

4. WashU
5. MCW
6. UIC
7. Loyola
8. UWisc-Madison
9. Rush
10. CCF
11. Case Western UH
I loved UIC. It really seemed awesome, but MCW got an immense amount of love from just about everyone. Based on my own personal preferences, I'd probably do

4. MCW
5. UIC
6. WashU
7. UWisc
8. Rush
9. CCF
10. Case
11. Loyola

CCF vs. Case/UH

just outta curiosity, what do you guys think of the programs in comparison to one another? These are high on my list, but not sure how I should rank them over one another. Your thoughts would be appreciated

CCF vs. Case/UH

just outta curiosity, what do you guys think of the programs in comparison to one another? These are high on my list, but not sure how I should rank them over one another. Your thoughts would be appreciated

Case UH definitely seemed very future oriented (recognize the changing role of anesthesiology and seem genuine about gearing residents to approach it head on), but I cant remember how they fared in fellowship matches. CCF seems to be improving, but I did get a bit of an off vibe from some of the residents on my day there (though met some good ones as well). Faculty seemed great, but it is a big place which is not for everyone.

CCF vs. Case/UH

Case. Very strong in all respects, much more resident run vs fellow run at ccf. Case supports/trains AAs too, ccf is a crna mill. You can always hop over to ccf for fellowship.

Last edited:
would appreciate some advice on a few of my top programs in no particular order based on interview experience:
NYU, UPMC, Hopkins, St. Lukes, Columbia, Stony Brook, Rochester

Did not like: Yale, UPenn, Cornell, and the other tristate programs

Im interested in fellowships, but would still want reasonable exposure to all areas as part of a anesthesiology residency training. Other important things are quality of life, social life outside hospital, cost of living, entertainment, etc.

Thanks for the help and advise would be appreciated!

Beefcake7 - can you elaborate on why you didn't like Penn, Cornell and Yale? I also visited those programs, and I am trying to make sure I am getting the same impressions others are i.e. make sure I am hearing enough about them outside of just my interview day.

I loved NYU - the residents were really fantastic. I didn't get to see the hospitals, but their reputation is clearly great. The only reason NYU won't be higher on my rank list than where I have it now is the housing. It's hard to move to NYC without some sort of housing set up already. I mean, I have friends and family there that could help, but lack of subsidized housing is harder. GREAT residents and I liked the faculty I met too.

Pitt was fantastic. I am unsure if I really fit with Pittsburgh itself (no ties to the area, no family etc.), but the turnout and conversation at the dinner the night before was awesome. The residents are very happy there.

I thought Yale was a solid program, but it's the town it is in that completely turns me off.

I also thought that Penn was a great program. A bit of a workhorse though...the residents seemed pretty tired when I was there. But they received great training and have fantastic fellowship placements.

From residents I've talked to, it seems like regional networking is better for private practice job. When I interviewed at this one socal program, they were saying how private practice jobs are emailing their residents for job opening before they open it to public. So if you're set for socal private practice jobs, going to loma linda is probably better. Unless you manage to go to like MGH, where you can get pretty much anything you want, those residents already got job/fellowship offers as CA-2.

But like everyone says, go to where you'll be happy. If you'll be happy at programs outside socal, then go there.

not necessarily true. i witnessed a Harvard-affiliated resident get shrugged off at a private practice interview, partially because of a lack of regional experience and partially because she made the same assumption as yours. and now that i'm in private practice, no one gives a damn where you trained as long as you're a competent, efficient team player. networking and developing marketable skills that groups find desirable (which are up to you) matter far more than the name on the side of the hospital.

not necessarily true. i witnessed a Harvard-affiliated resident get shrugged off at a private practice interview, partially because of a lack of regional experience and partially because she made the same assumption as yours. and now that i'm in private practice, no one gives a damn where you trained as long as you're a competent, efficient team player. networking and developing marketable skills that groups find desirable (which are up to you) matter far more than the name on the side of the hospital.

I am sure this is true, but you can't deny that a bigger name place will make it easier for you to get that interview.

After that, it's up to you.

yale and UPenn --> residents seemed overworked and unhappy
cornell --> residents didn't seem happy and i personally don't think i'll fit in well in that program

Penn - I felt the residents were open about working hard, but said they liked getting paid for staying late when they did. They have a good number of weekends off, and the post-post call day in the ICU too. Seemed actually pretty well-balanced to me. Group I met seemed happy. I liked Penn.

Yale - I got the same impression. More than one resident was open with me about how "no program is perfect." It was disappointing. I wanted to like it, because I loved the chair and PD.

Cornell - I've met two people who did aways there who absolutely loved it. I have no idea what to think about it now. People seem to get vastly different impressions of it.