2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yale - I got the same impression. More than one resident was open with me about how "no program is perfect." It was disappointing. I wanted to like it, because I loved the chair and PD.

Cornell - I've met two people who did aways there who absolutely loved it. I have no idea what to think about it now. People seem to get vastly different impressions of it.

I'm not sure about the context in which you heard "no program is perfect," and I am not a Yale resident, but I just wanted to mention that anyone who tells you they do go to a perfect program is leaving details out. I wouldn't know if they're being dishonest, because they might actually think they go to the perfect program. But the perspective you get about a program is very dependent on the individual giving you that perspective.

For instance, I love my program, and think that with all its imperfections, I am getting a fantastic training opportunity. There are people in my program that are miserable mainly because they have to work 60-65 hours a week, which is ridiculous. Same program, but you would get vastly different perspectives based on who you talked to. And on the other side, there are people in my program that would tell you they are at a perfect program, which isn't true either. We all know people who are unhappy no matter the circumstance, as well as people who are the opposite.

I tried to tell applicants that overall I was very happy, but let them know about imperfections in the program. If that approach leads to applicants being "disappointed," the loss is theirs. As for myself, I hated being on the interview trail and feeling like I was talking to a cheerleader or salesman for the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Good point - there was a little more to the answers I got than that, but I agree. Every program will have something imperfect about it. It makes it hard deciding where you fit, though, because I did like the leadership a lot.

Tangential but didn't feel it warranted its own thread. Any current/former Cleveland Clinic residents willing to shoot me a PM? Just a question I would like to ask.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time poster and reader. My username was too identifiable, so please don't hold the solo post against me. I'm having trouble ranking the following programs taking into consideration quality of training and residenct satisfaction. While location matters greatly, i'm trying to not consider location as a factor in my initial rank list and will later alter the list accordingly. Any help would be appreciated.....thanks!

Upenn
Sinai
Yale
Beth Israel
Cornell
UVA
Rochester
NYU

My 2 cents (I will leave out those institutions at which I did not interview). BTW; I am a CA-1 at an institution you did not list.

My list would go like this:

- Beth Israel (Faculty seemed very nice and residents seemed happy when I interviewed 2 years ago)
- Sinai (Have a friend there who absolutely loves it)
- NYU
- Cornell
- UPENN
- Yale (I almost ranked Yale #1; but after speaking to faculty at my institution who recently graduated from the program and despised their experience at Yale, I'm glad I did not)

would appreciate some advice on a few of my top programs in no particular order based on interview experience:
NYU, UPMC, Hopkins, St. Lukes, Columbia, Stony Brook, Rochester

Did not like: Yale, UPenn, Cornell, and the other tristate programs

Im interested in fellowships, but would still want reasonable exposure to all areas as part of a anesthesiology residency training. Other important things are quality of life, social life outside hospital, cost of living, entertainment, etc.

Thanks for the help and advise would be appreciated!

I suggest: (Will only rank those where I interviewed 2 years ago)

- Hopkins
- Columbia
- Rochester (Mayo? or NY?) If it is Mayo- definitely here
- NYU
- Cornell
- Stony Brook
- St. Lukes
- UPENN
- Yale

How about:
USC
MGH
UCI
Cedars sinai
Cornell

In alphabetical order:

BID
Cornell
Emory
Mount Sinai
Northwestern
Yale

My rank list changes daily...

From interviewing last year:

1) BID - residents all seemed really happy with their program, probably enjoyed his pre-inteview dinner the most because I clicked with the residents well, liked the faculty interactions especially the PD and chair, drawback was it seemed to be in the shadow of the other 2 Harvards in terms of the academic realm
2) tie Emory - residents were a fun group, assistant PDs were awesome and obviously showed they were truly invested in the residents, but not much interaction with the actual PD, liked the ability to rotate through different hospitals however wasn't really impressed with any one hospital
2) tie Yale - didn't click the residents like I did at other places, really like the PD and chair, huge names in anesthesiology, unfortunately located in New Haven
4) Northwestern - nothing really stood out good or bad but no major red flags
5) Cornell - residents didn't seem that enthusiastic about their program

would appreciate some advice on a few of my top programs in no particular order based on interview experience:
NYU, UPMC, Hopkins, St. Lukes, Columbia, Stony Brook, Rochester

Did not like: Yale, UPenn, Cornell, and the other tristate programs

Im interested in fellowships, but would still want reasonable exposure to all areas as part of a anesthesiology residency training. Other important things are quality of life, social life outside hospital, cost of living, entertainment, etc.

Thanks for the help and advise would be appreciated!

1) Hopkins - not much needs to be said, renowned program and consistently top hospital, lots of opportunities and stepping stone for academic career, brand new hospital
2) tie Columbia - similar to Hopkins, minus the brand new hospital, big names in anesthesia and some great opportunities (HSS, international, etc)
2) tie UPMC - monopoly on the city, lots of case variability between all the different sites, lots of academic research, great group of residents, international opportunities

Location would probably be a big factor in differentiating Columbia and UPMC. Didn't interview at the others.

How about:
USC
MGH
UCI
Cedars sinai
Cornell

1) MGH - enough said haha jk (biased)

Hi Everybody,

Im struggling with my ROL. I've interviewed at the following and would like some advice/suggestions:
Texas Tech
UT houston
NYMC (New york medical college)
University of Buffalo
Cook County
DMC/Wayne state
Georgia Health
U Conn
University of Toledo
Wake Forest

Im looking for a program that I could get great training, but I am also interested in a family friendly program as well. Its hard to get a feel from the program in just one day. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Everybody,

Im struggling with my ROL. I've interviewed at the following and would like some advice/suggestions:
Texas Tech
UT houston
University of Buffalo
Cook County
DMC/Wayne state
Georgia Health
U Conn
University of Toledo
Wake Forest

Im looking for a program that I could get great training, but I am also interested in a family friendly program as well. Its hard to get a feel from the program in just one day. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I only interviewed at NYMC off all the places you mentioned. So here I my 2 cents; the impression I had from NYMC was dismal and did not even rank it. Of course, this was two years ago so things may have changed. I was interviewed by a resident that seemed very unhappy. The facilities were junkie, some rotations are far away and there were talks about residents trying to leave the program; the PD was nice and that was about it.

Looking for a little bit of input with my top 6....Location is self-evident and self-selected, not as big a deal to me the lifestyle/hours/perks/yada yada, I just want really good training and to be able to move confidently into PP if I so choose:

1. Vanderbilt (only thing I'm 100% sure of)

2-6. (alphabetical)
Duke
Miami
MUSC
UAB
UNC

Any thoughts/concerns would be greatly appreciated. I've checked some of the old threads concerning southeast programs, but if you have a minute any input would help

Looking for a little bit of input with my top 6....Location is self-evident and self-selected, not as big a deal to me the lifestyle/hours/perks/yada yada, I just want really good training and to be able to move confidently into PP if I so choose:

2-6. (alphabetical)
Duke
Miami
MUSC
UAB
UNC

Any thoughts/concerns would be greatly appreciated. I've checked some of the old threads concerning southeast programs, but if you have a minute any input would help

Sorry, no real input as I did not apply to any of those programs, but everyone that I have talked to on the interview trail that interviewed at Vandy seemed to really like it (as in #1). Must be a nice program.

2-6. (alphabetical)
Duke
Miami
MUSC
UAB
UNC

Of these places I only interviewed at Duke so I can only comment on this program. If location were not an issue I would definitely consider ranking Duke as my number 1 or 2. Program is very well rounded without any glaring weaknesses. You will come out of here with very solid training and have amazing opportunities to go either in the PP or academic route. Research is top of the line. Everything about the program is great except for the location in my opinion.

2-6. (alphabetical)
Duke
Miami
MUSC
UAB
UNC

I loved UAB when I visited. I thought Birmingham seems like a great place to live! Much to my surprise. Although I didn't see as much cultural diversity. Just a minor concern since I'm a Southeast Asian. Not enough to keep me from ranking them highly. I thought they seem well trained in most areas except peds. The only reason I can't rank them #1 is their peds experience seems to be them sharing cases with CRNAs. And doesn't seem like they get super sick kids. However, they do 3 rotations in peds so I think they will be proficient in handling bread & butter peds upon graduating. Super happy residents. All-in-all I'm ranking them either #2 or #3.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about Mayo vs Mich ? Feel like I couldnt go wrong flipping a coin. Anyone have any input?

Are you kidding??? Flipping the coin for Mayo vs Michigan...

MAYO hands down between those two choices. Everybody should experience Mayo for at least one year. It is a place like no other; and I have been at "others".

Are you kidding??? Flipping the coin for Mayo vs Michigan...

MAYO hands down between those two choices. Everybody should experience Mayo for at least one year. It is a place like no other; and I have been at "others".

I applied to Michigan, but not mayo due to location. The question doesn't seem that outrageous.

I applied to Michigan, but not mayo due to location. The question doesn't seem that outrageous.

Okay, my answer may have been a bit over-dramatic. Since he said that it would be a coin-toss; I assume that he does not care much about location (not that Michigan is much better IMO). He has the option between the two as it seems like he interviewed at the two places so I stand by my suggested choice.

You made your choice at application time.

Okay, my answer may have been a bit over-dramatic. Since he said that it would be a coin-toss; I assume that he does not care much about location (not that Michigan is much better IMO). He has the option between the two as it seems like he interviewed at the two places so I stand by my suggested choice.

You made your choice at application time.

Maybe you're married and have kids. If that is the case, I can see your point with regards to location.

Surprisingly, people that I've talked to haven't been so enthusiastic about Mayo. I dont remember why, but thats my impression of the program. I didn't interview there, so I know my comments themselves don't really hold any weight. I'm sure it's a fine program.

I liked both Mayo and Michigan a lot as far as their programs go.

For me being in a big city is an overall negative. Although there is more entertainment in a big city, I would most likely waste hundreds of hours of my life each year stuck in traffic.

Edit: I think that Im the kind of person that would want to live and work in the suburbs of a big city. Entertainment fairly close without all the traffic.

2nd edit: Neither Ann Arbor or Rochester are really suburbs of Detroit or Twin Cities unfortunately, but I was just stating my preferences.

Last edited:
I only interviewed at NYMC off all the places you mentioned. So here I my 2 cents; the impression I had from NYMC was dismal and did not even rank it. Of course, this was two years ago so things may have changed. I was interviewed by a resident that seemed very unhappy. The facilities were junkie, some rotations are far away and there were talks about residents trying to leave the program; the PD was nice and that was about it.
The place is barely worth a penny for your thoughts.

I suggest: (Will only rank those where I interviewed 2 years ago)

- Hopkins
- Columbia
- Rochester (Mayo? or NY?) If it is Mayo- definitely here
- NYU
- Cornell
- Stony Brook
- St. Lukes
- UPENN
- Yale
just wondering, why st lukes over upenn?

Hi Everybody,

Texas Tech
UT houston
University of Buffalo
Cook County
DMC/Wayne state
Georgia Health
U Conn
University of Toledo
Wake Forest

wake forest was the most family friendly seeming program i interviewed at. didn't interview at any of the others though

got my top 5 and bottom 2,

these are my middle ones in their current order

Maine Med
Wake Forest
U Chicago
Dartmouth

Interested in peds and public policy, since I've already accounted for location, hubby preference, and gut. thoughts?

Maine Med
Wake Forest
U Chicago
Dartmouth

Interested in peds and public policy, since I've already accounted for location, hubby preference, and gut. thoughts?

Sometimes this website is just too much for me when people ask questions this trivial. I mean come on you have 1-5 down and 10 and 11 you want other people to rank programs that you think are average at best to your self? Just out of curiosity what are 1-5 , it might cause me to flip a few things around

How would you guys rank these three? I got a great vibe from all 3, so right now I'm just ranking based on location, but I'm not sure if I'm making a mistake if one is obviously better than the others:

-Stony Brook
-UConn
-Jefferson

Maine Med
Wake Forest
U Chicago
Dartmouth

The only one I interviewed at was Dartmouth, and I loved it. Great program. Very academic feel. Good for people who love the outdoors and NE. Super nice residents. Really non-malignant faculty from what I could tell. Must like rural locations, though, but still - it's only two hours from Boston.

How about Penn vs Yale.

How about UChicago vs UVA.

and also if anyone else has opinions on Mayo vs Michigan please share. Thanks.

2-6. (alphabetical)
Duke
Miami
MUSC
UAB
UNC

UAB, MUSC, and Vanderbilt were at the top of my list and I'm pumped to have matched at one of them. I also really liked UNC and Duke. I can't speak for Miami, but, from talking with my friends who interviewed/rotated/work there, I think it has a different resident group, city, and work atmosphere from the others on your list. My friends who liked Miami were deciding between programs in Chicago, DC, NYC, etc. I didn't hear of anyone trying to decide between other southeast programs and Miami.

Vanderbilt and Duke residents were more research oriented, with UAB having great opportunities as well. I liked the residents and atmosphere the most at UAB, MUSC, and Vanderbilt. Regarding your question of "lifestyle, hours, and perks", I think that of the programs on your list Vanderbilt probably has more perks (ie. iPads, concierge service) and that UAB probably has better hours and lifestyle (and moonlighting), but I think all of the programs on your list will give you great training. Congrats on a solid list.

What about Yale vs MUSC vs Mayo Jax vs UMiami... As far as reputation and job\fellowship placement (I know the cities are not exactly comparable)? I hear mixed info about each?

What about Yale vs MUSC vs Mayo Jax vs UMiami... As far as reputation and job\fellowship placement (I know the cities are not exactly comparable)? I hear mixed info about each?

Yale probably has the greatest national reputation of these programs and likelihood for ease of job/fellowship placement. Miami is probably next in line because of the size and strength of their program.

Yale probably has the greatest national reputation of these programs and likelihood for ease of job/fellowship placement. Miami is probably next in line because of the size and strength of their program.

my thoughts as well after visiting 3 of the 4

didn't visit mayo jax but no way they have the network of other places simply because of their size

How about Penn vs Yale.

How about UChicago vs UVA.

and also if anyone else has opinions on Mayo vs Michigan please share. Thanks.

Penn and Yale were pretty similar programs from what I gathered. The biggest factor is location. Both are strong academic programs, big names in the anesthesia world, fellowship placement didn't appear to be a problem although Penn seemed to have the upper hand, and residents both seemed to be worked a bit harder than most (Penn moreso than Yale). I ranked Penn over Yale.

Chicago and UVa, on the otherhand, seemed pretty different to me. UVa gave me the impression of a strong clinical program, very involved faculty and department leaders with residents, and very happy and close-knit group of residents. Chicago was the strong, academic program, faculty were more formal, residents were happy, liked their program, and didn't seem to be worked too hard. I think they are both great programs to train at and would differentiat them by 1) location and 2) the type of program/feel I wanted. I ranked Chicago over UVa because of the SO, but would've been happy with UVa over Chicago.

Penn and Yale were pretty similar programs from what I gathered. The biggest factor is location. Both are strong academic programs, big names in the anesthesia world, fellowship placement didn't appear to be a problem although Penn seemed to have the upper hand, and residents both seemed to be worked a bit harder than most (Penn moreso than Yale). I ranked Penn over Yale.

Chicago and UVa, on the otherhand, seemed pretty different to me. UVa gave me the impression of a strong clinical program, very involved faculty and department leaders with residents, and very happy and close-knit group of residents. Chicago was the strong, academic program, faculty were more formal, residents were happy, liked their program, and didn't seem to be worked too hard. I think they are both great programs to train at and would differentiat them by 1) location and 2) the type of program/feel I wanted. I ranked Chicago over UVa because of the SO, but would've been happy with UVa over Chicago.

Although different sorts progs, liked both Chicago and UVA about the same. I get the impression that people matched fellowships pretty well out of both progs. (maybe better at chi though? not sure) Chicago has more to do, but a ton of traffic. Charlottesville is a nice college town, beautiful area, with less traffic, but less to do. I think charlottesville still might be a better fit for my preferences about where I want to live.

Yale and Penn I also liked about the same. I do have a concern about their high work hours. Yeah at Penn its nice that they pay you for it, but Id rather just have less hours most of the time. Philly has more to do than New Haven. Meh still not sure between the two but Penn might win since Philly is probably nicer...

I aspire to follow a philosophy of balanced life so I have concern that Yale and Penn work hours might impinge upon that balance.

my goal is to return to california for work in the future. i am young and single, i can go anywhere but my family is in california. can you guys help me with the rank list? i am just not sure whether to just go residency in a smaller anesthesia program in california or go to a bigger name program. help!

in no particular order:
Northwestern
Mt Sinai
Uc davis
Uc Irvine
U penn
Duke
USC
OHSU
Wash U
U Chicago
Yale

my goal is to return to california for work in the future. i am young and single, i can go anywhere but my family is in california. can you guys help me with the rank list? i am just not sure whether to just go residency in a smaller anesthesia program in california or go to a bigger name program. help!

in no particular order:
Northwestern
Mt Sinai
Uc davis
Uc Irvine
U penn
Duke
USC
OHSU
Wash U
U Chicago
Yale
Go to Duke or Penn for residency and Stanford or UCSF for fellowship. You'd be set for life.

in no particular order:
Northwestern
Mt Sinai
Uc davis
Uc Irvine
U penn
Duke
USC
OHSU
Wash U
U Chicago
Yale

My list is similar to yours. And I currently am facing exactly the same dilemma. Which are you leaning toward? CA vs big name? I feel like I would be happier doing residency outside of CA. But that means yet another 4 years (minimum) away from home.

My list is similar to yours. And I currently am facing exactly the same dilemma. Which are you leaning toward? CA vs big name? I feel like I would be happier doing residency outside of CA. But that means yet another 4 years (minimum) away from home.

You already answered your question. Go where you think you will be happiest.

Any thoughts/reasons to pick one over another?

Tied for 2nd: Mayo and UPMC (loved both programs a ton)
Tied for 4th: MCW, WashU, and UIC (UIC bc I would really like to be in Chicago)

Having some trouble deciding on my top choice--really torn between UPMC and Penn State. I'm from Pittsburgh and really like UPMC, but Penn State really surprised me and is in a better geographical area for my hubby. Anyone have any advice/words of wisdom?

UPMC is outstanding in pretty much anything. So you just have to decide which is more important - going to the best place for enhancement of your career vs. better location for your husband... only you can decide. Good luck :)

I'm wondering if anyone had any ideas about the program at UMDNJ-RWJ in New Brunswick. And how that might compare to Loyola in Chicago. I like both locations (one right outside NYC, one right outside Chicago...) ?

Any thoughts/reasons to pick one over another?

Tied for 2nd: Mayo and UPMC (loved both programs a ton)
Tied for 4th: MCW, WashU, and UIC (UIC bc I would really like to be in Chicago)

Mayo vs. UPMC... this is a coin flip because both are powerhouses and both in crappy cities (YMMV). But personally, it'd be more fun to say "I trained at Mayo." ... for whatever that's worth.

I'd go to UIC out of those other three. It's a great program with leadership that trained at top programs. And the residents seemed happy. Pretty good fellowship matches as well. Also, can't beat Chicago.

I thought while the didactics seemed good that the hours and location were a program killer.

What's your understanding of Penn St.'s hours? I don't remember hearing anything that struck me as odd, but I might be forgetting.

Mayo vs. UPMC... this is a coin flip because both are powerhouses and both in crappy cities (YMMV). But personally, it'd be more fun to say "I trained at Mayo." ... for whatever that's worth.

I'd go to UIC out of those other three. It's a great program with leadership that trained at top programs. And the residents seemed happy. Pretty good fellowship matches as well. Also, can't beat Chicago.

Thanks for your input, that was really helpful!
As for MCW vs WashU, I liked MCW better but feel that WashU has a better reputation. Any opinions about ranking MCW before WashU?

can anyone comment as to Temple Penn State Case western Buffalo and Upstate?

UIC over WashU baffles me, unless the decision is really all about the city

we're talking one of the biggest names in medicine and a great anesthesiology program that's a research powerhouse vs a program that has no claim to being one of the top two programs in its own city (i'm sure some will argue with this point, but I have no regrets about using Rush and UIC as practice interviews early in the season before UChicago and NW)

What's your understanding of Penn St.'s hours? I don't remember hearing anything that struck me as odd, but I might be forgetting.

yeah, i'm also unaware of anything troubling about penn st's hours - enlighten me?