2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone help me decide between UTSW and Baylor. I want to do fellowship and ultimately private practice in texas. is one better than the other or are they about equal? i liked both equally so the "gut" component is cancelled out.

1. Decide by which city you like more, because in private practice networking and past residents in their practice have a lot of bearing on who gets interviewed from what I've seen. Both are fantastic cities for young professionals. If you want to work for Pinnacle in Dallas, go to Southwestern. If you want to work for GHA, go to Houston. If you ultimately want to end up in Dallas or Houston, go to either, you will get interviews in both cities.

2. If the fellowship you're interested in is CT, I would say Baylor for the pipeline into THI...5 of 10 this year and 6 of 10 last year came from BCM.

3. If you're interested in CCM as a fellowship I would say UTSW...they had the most impressive fellowship names of anywhere on the interview trail for this year's graduates, at least in crit care - but that's because they have just 1 or 2 spots at their own program and are trying to beef it up right now.

4. You will work 10hr/wk more at one than the other, based on what residents at each told me. Personally that's just more experience for me so I don't end up as a patient assassin, but if you've got kids or something that's a very real difference.

5. You will deal with the politics of SRNAs at both, don't let that factor in.

As a disclaimer, I've worked with residents from both, interviewed at both, and they are both definitely solid programs.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Decide by which city you like more, because in private practice networking and past residents in their practice have a lot of bearing on who gets interviewed from what I've seen. Both are fantastic cities for young professionals. If you want to work for Pinnacle in Dallas, go to Southwestern. If you want to work for GHA, go to Houston. If you ultimately want to end up in Dallas or Houston, go to either, you will get interviews in both cities.

2. If the fellowship you're interested in is CT, I would say Baylor for the pipeline into THI...5 of 10 this year and 6 of 10 last year came from BCM.

3. If you're interested in CCM as a fellowship I would say UTSW...they had the most impressive fellowship names of anywhere on the interview trail for this year's graduates, at least in crit care - but that's because they have just 1 or 2 spots at their own program and are trying to beef it up right now.

4. You will work 10hr/wk more at one than the other, based on what residents at each told me. Personally that's just more experience for me so I don't end up as a patient assassin, but if you've got kids or something that's a very real difference.

5. You will deal with the politics of SRNAs at both, don't let that factor in.

As a disclaimer, I've worked with residents from both, interviewed at both, and they are both definitely solid programs.

At least 10 hr/wk more! Nothing like q4 call for over half of CA-1 year :eek:

At least 10 hr/wk more! Nothing like q4 call for over half of CA-1 year :eek:

I thought it was pretty much 100% of CA1 year. Either way, I liked both programs.

But that's who I want performing my anesthesia if I'm under the knife - IMO there is no substitute for experience - which is why a lot of the top programs on my rank list are work horse programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was pretty much 100% of CA1 year. Either way, I liked both programs.

But that's who I want performing my anesthesia if I'm under the knife - IMO there is no substitute for experience - which is why a lot of the top programs on my rank list are work horse programs.

I think it was 7-8 months. Anyway, I agree the best thing is experience, but with all those post-call days, I bet that you see the same number of cases but with the added detriment of exhaustion.

Wow thanks for all these responses! Im assuming you mean 10 hr/wk more at utsw? from the interview trail i got the impression that utsw worked REALLY hard...can anyone speak to this specifically? is it really only 10 hr/wk more than baylor or is the discrepancy greater?
the problem is i don't know which fellowship i am interested in, just know i want to do one. are pinnacle and gha the "top" private practice in those respective cities? so youre saying if i went to utsw i could get a solid job in houston and vice versa with baylor just not guaranteed the "top" job. i am also not sure which of the two long term but definitely one of the two. the salary at baylor is a deterrent.

Wow thanks for all these responses! Im assuming you mean 10 hr/wk more at utsw? from the interview trail i got the impression that utsw worked REALLY hard...can anyone speak to this specifically? is it really only 10 hr/wk more than baylor or is the discrepancy greater?
the problem is i don't know which fellowship i am interested in, just know i want to do one. are pinnacle and gha the "top" private practice in those respective cities? so youre saying if i went to utsw i could get a solid job in houston and vice versa with baylor just not guaranteed the "top" job. i am also not sure which of the two long term but definitely one of the two. the salary at baylor is a deterrent.

I interviewed at both. It was my impression that it was more like 15 hr/wk difference.

Top is a matter of opinion. They are certainly the largest in their respective cities.

also, this is probably the wrong forum but since im here: does fellowship impact reimbursement in PP?

Incorrect. q4 6-8 months depending on whether you spend the majority of your general anesthesia rotations at Parkland. If you do you're general anesthesia rotation at the university hospital then there is no in house call. Our rotations with in-house call for CA-1s are general OR at Parkland, OB, and ICU.

Also work hours, 65-70hrs for parkland maybe? 55 hrs for the university hospital. This is anesthesia and CA-1 year may have more hours than CA 2/3, you're not going to come home exhausted. You're pager rarely goes off, you're not dealing with having to write scripts, dictating discharge summaries, sitting through stupid ethics/communications lectures. Plus if you're really worried about having time to read, after a few months of demonstrating competence, you can read in the OR.

Also note, q4 in-house call does not mean you will be up for the entirety of that call, with the exception of the ICU.

Coming to either Baylor or UTSW will present you with lots of different opportunities to push fent/propofol/roc and place either LMA or ETT.

Incorrect. q4 6-8 months depending on whether you spend the majority of your general anesthesia rotations at Parkland. If you do you're general anesthesia rotation at the university hospital then there is no in house call. Our rotations with in-house call for CA-1s are general OR at Parkland, OB, and ICU.

Also work hours, 65-70hrs for parkland maybe? 55 hrs for the university hospital. This is anesthesia and CA-1 year may have more hours than CA 2/3, you're not going to come home exhausted. You're pager rarely goes off, you're not dealing with having to write scripts, dictating discharge summaries, sitting through stupid ethics/communications lectures. Plus if you're really worried about having time to read, after a few months of demonstrating competence, you can read in the OR.

Also note, q4 in-house call does not mean you will be up for the entirety of that call, with the exception of the ICU.

Coming to either Baylor or UTSW will present you with lots of different opportunities to push fent/propofol/roc and place either LMA or ETT.

Apologies - but like I said, it appeals to me, and I think it's clear based on my context [and my rank list] where I am ranking UTSW as compared to BCM. I've already been sold on the program and I wouldn't have gone to medical school if I didn't want to work hard. And honestly, I felt like I'd read your post before...in the course of doing due diligence when putting together my RoL.

Work hours at UTSW are variable depending on your site location/rotation/and CA level. In general, CA 1's have longer hours than CA 2/3's. For general anesthesia as a CA 1 at University Hospital- 55-60hrs/wk. The majority of your weekends are off and its home call. However, the weekdays can be pretty long and monotonous. Parkland is q4 days 24 hour in house call and average weekly work hours for CA1's are 60-70hrs. Call days you will be doing schedule cases and in the evenings you'll have a few hours of down time before being placed in the call pool for urgent/emergent cases. Non call/post call days you'll generally show up at 6am and leave by 3pm. VA general you'll generally show up at 630am and leave by 3pm, and will be on once maybe once or twice a month. SICU call averages q4days and are in house for 28hrs. Non call days you'll generally be out the door by 3pm. All CA1's do pre-op clinic, which is 5 days a week, no call, all weekends off, hours are usually 8-5.
CA 2/3's- work hours doing general cases at University Hospital are identical to the CA1s. Parkland call is still q4 days its 16hrs on weekdays and 24hrs on weekend call. All the subspecialty rotations (with the exception of ICU and Peds) are home call. On Ped's you'll generally start your day at 630am and end around 5pm. If you're on call on the week days its 16hrs and 24hrs for weekend call. On average I'm probably working 55hrs as a CA2 and probably averaged 65hrs as a CA1.

There are a few added time requirements; for instance you may be asked periodically to present an article at journal club, or present at M&M.

We may work harder compared to other anesthesia programs, but compared to other specialities (surgery/IM/peds) we don't work that hard. There is more than enough time to study, read, travel, learn a new hobby, etc.

so the take away is UTSW works harder than baylor (but not THAT much harder...10-15 hr/wk harder). the post-grad job opportunities are probably equivalent between the two bc they probably ultimately provide equivalent training?

Members don't see this ad :)
so the take away is UTSW works harder than baylor (but not THAT much harder...10-15 hr/wk harder). the post-grad job opportunities are probably equivalent between the two bc they probably ultimately provide equivalent training?

Only 10-15 hours? That is almost the difference between a part and full time job, it is working an extra standard workweek over the course of 1 month...

As for working hard--no program is going to discourage you from working hard. If you volunteer to stay late I doubt you are going to be turned down for it. The reason why programs try to keep their hours down is because they want us reading/studying since a good portion of our knowledge base needs to come from a book. Learning how to intubate and respond to common scenarios is learned from working, understanding anatomy and physiology of everything that is going on to enable you to become a consultant and respond to more complex situations more intelligently is enabled through knowing things in books.

Haha, "only" 10-15 hours a week. Have you ever had a job?

Help, please! Location's not a huge deal...looking for a good mix of quality and lifestyle.

UTMB
MUSC
University of Arizona
UH- Case
Ohio State
Minnesota
Iowa
Texas Tech
Baystate

Can anyone help me decide between UTSW and Baylor. I want to do fellowship and ultimately private practice in texas. is one better than the other or are they about equal? i liked both equally so the "gut" component is cancelled out.

Reputation wise. Baylor > UTSW.
Location. Baylor = UTSW. Both Dallas and Houston are cool cities to live in.
Fellowships. Baylor > UTSW
Workhours. Baylor > UTSW. Agree with above posters. You will work about 10-15 hours more per week at UTSW.

In summary, Baylor > UTSW. UTSW is a great program, but if you have an opportunity to go to Baylor, I think you should go for it. It is a phenomenal program and easily the best one in Texas. Just my 2c.

Perhaps you can give reasons why they are tied.

UCLA
top program / great job opportunities
harder hours
weather / city of LA
i have family ties here

UW
easier hours
seattle is also an awesome city, but weather a slight negative
very complete program
no family ties

I guess I know what my opinions of the programs are. I'm just wondering if anyone else has anything to add about what influences their thinking on these two programs...

Was wondering what people think about these programs in relation to each other. Going to be in the middle of my list but struggling to determine which I like more.

For penn i like the location in philly better, strong cardiac/critical care and slightly better fellowship placement

for pitt, i liked the better hours, breadth of training including strong regional experience in addition to cardiac, critical care, transplant etc. and good fellowship opportunities. it seems that residents salary certain goes further in pittsburgh, but i'm not sure that the city itself is the best fit.

for someone who wants to end up in md/dc/va area what name is stronger?

anyone else facing or faced this decision?

UCLA
harder hours
weather / city of LA
i have family ties here

UW
easier hours
seattle is also an awesome city, but weather a slight negative
very complete program
no family ties

I guess I know what my opinions of the programs are. I'm just wondering if anyone else has anything to add about what influences their thinking on these two programs...

I also interviewed at both. I agree with your assessment. For me, being in California means a lot, so the decision is easier I guess. I also don't mind working relatively harder in terms of hours. Good luck!

Workhours. Baylor > UTSW. Agree with above posters. You will work about 10-15 hours more per week at UTSW.

In summary, Baylor > UTSW. UTSW is a great program, but if you have an opportunity to go to Baylor, I think you should go for it. It is a phenomenal program and easily the best one in Texas. Just my 2c.

Another factor for me as a family man is money. Salary is almost 8k more in Dallas and add to that free parking vs 100/month and the difference is not trivial.

Was wondering what people think about these programs in relation to each other. Going to be in the middle of my list but struggling to determine which I like more.

For penn i like the location in philly better, strong cardiac/critical care and slightly better fellowship placement

for pitt, i liked the better hours, breadth of training including strong regional experience in addition to cardiac, critical care, transplant etc. and good fellowship opportunities. it seems that residents salary certain goes further in pittsburgh, but i'm not sure that the city itself is the best fit.

for someone who wants to end up in md/dc/va area what name is stronger?

anyone else facing or faced this decision?

Do a search in this thread and on the forums in general, both programs have been discussed at length.

Another factor for me as a family man is money. Salary is almost 8k more in Dallas and add to that free parking vs 100/month and the difference is not trivial.

True, but how many thousands of dollars is it worth for you to be able to spend an extra 15 hr/wk with your family?

can someone chime in on UIC vs Rush vs Loyola?

UIC seems very relax and happy but I am not sure about their fellowship placement. Rush and Loyola are both workhorse program but Rush seem to be in a better location, better paid with better felloship placement. Anyone?

True, but how many thousands of dollars is it worth for you to be able to spend an extra 15 hr/wk with your family?

I see what you're saying but being able to afford to live and support the family is a more important priority.

everyone keeps talking about this huge discrepancy in work hours at the baylor vs utsw...but when i go to the websites of each they BOTH say average hours is 60-65...i could see low-balling this figure but by 15 hours?? also i have heard that utsw is more front-loaded and baylor has more call as you progress in years (is this true i cant remember where i heard this about baylor??). is it possible the hour difference refers to ca-1 year only? im just trying to make sense of why the websites say the same thing

How would you stack the following 5 programs? (No order)

Scott & White
Wake Forest
MCW
Texas Tech
San Antonio

I am really struggling with my top 4. I'm from Texas with family in Dallas and Houston. I am married with a child. My husband is ex-military and he would look for a job wherever we move.

In no particular order:

UTSW
UT-Houston
VCU
Ochsner

UTSW- liked it but its a huge program and i'm not sure if I want to go home
UT-Houston: loved my interview but residents told me they don't know when they are going home on a daily basis. One interviewer told me that I would need a live in nanny!
VCU: loved everything about it but closest family is 1.5 hours away and I know nothing about Richmond schools, job market etc.
Ochsner: great hours, great location (i've lived in New Orleans), but I would have to pay for private school and i'm not sure about the job market for my husband. Also no family there.

I am really struggling with my top 4. I'm from Texas with family in Dallas and Houston. I am married with a child. My husband is ex-military and he would look for a job wherever we move.

In no particular order:

UTSW
UT-Houston
VCU
Ochsner

UTSW- liked it but its a huge program and i'm not sure if I want to go home
UT-Houston: loved my interview but residents told me they don't know when they are going home on a daily basis. One interviewer told me that I would need a live in nanny!
VCU: loved everything about it but closest family is 1.5 hours away and I know nothing about Richmond schools, job market etc.
Ochsner: great hours, great location (i've lived in New Orleans), but I would have to pay for private school and i'm not sure about the job market for my husband. Also no family there.

I only interviewed at UT Houston and UTSW. You are spot on with my biggest concern about UT Houston. Great training program though.

Help, please! Location's not a huge deal...looking for a good mix of quality and lifestyle.

UTMB
MUSC
University of Arizona
UH- Case
Ohio State
Minnesota
Iowa
Texas Tech
Baystate

To clarify, my top 3 are definitely UTMB, MUSC, U of A. I'm having trouble ranking them. After that, it's a big jumble.

everyone keeps talking about this huge discrepancy in work hours at the baylor vs utsw...but when i go to the websites of each they BOTH say average hours is 60-65...i could see low-balling this figure but by 15 hours?? also i have heard that utsw is more front-loaded and baylor has more call as you progress in years (is this true i cant remember where i heard this about baylor??). is it possible the hour difference refers to ca-1 year only? im just trying to make sense of why the websites say the same thing

I heard everything on this here internets is true.

As my name implies, I will keep hijacking the thread until someone answers me!

Scott and White
San Antonio
Texas Tech
Wake Forest
MCW

Proceed!

Scott and White
San Antonio
Texas Tech
Wake Forest
MCW

Proceed!

Unfortunately you're on topic in this thread. Maybe you should save us from the 'Ben Carson' thread and try hijacking it.

Scott and White
San Antonio
Texas Tech
Wake Forest
MCW

Proceed!
This is just my perspective from the interview trail. I will only give my opinion on the ones I interviewed at.

1. Scott and white is a hidden gem. Excellent trainning, good hours, awesome faculty and residents. Most fellowships available. Just announced merger with Baylor Dallas that should grow the name on a more national level. I have had friends do aways there and they loved it .Downside is temple. Not the greatest town, but only an hour from Austin.
2. San Antonio seemed like a good program with good training. The residents as faculty were nice. Program director is awesome Their intern year has 4 blocks of surgery= not fun.
Their finishing up a new hospital that should have nice OR's. I just didn't click as well with these people as I did at Scott and White.

I guess you can't go wrong with either one. In the end, none of this is going to matter. We will all have board certification with jobs making similar money.

I think it's interesting you've got a hard-on for Baylor....considering

Interviewed at 11 programs. Ranking the following.

Cedar Sinai
UTMB
UTSW
Texas A&M
Case Western Cleveland
Rush
Maimonides
Henry Ford

What do you guys think about these programs and how would you order them?

So you either interviewed and aren't ranking them, or didn't interview at all? I am also intrigued that you consider them the "best in Texas" seeing as many of us Texans in this thread interviewed at all of the Texas programs, and I'm not sure that many of us would agree with you.

Not trying to troll you or be mean or anything, I am just interested in hearing what led you to make your assumptions...given that perception of "goodness" of a training program is HUGELY personal.

Can anyone tell me what you think about Case Western/University Hospital vs. Ohio State?

Scott and White
San Antonio
Texas Tech
Wake Forest
MCW

Proceed!

Student at TTU, rotated at Scott and White and interviewed at UTSA.

Scott and White - I will echo the sentiment that this place is a hidden gem. The location is something to consider since Temple has little to offer apart from a pair of scenic lakes. Proximity to Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio are selling points (especially for my wife and I since we have family in each area). During my away rotation, I saw that residents truly get preference in terms of case assignments. Hours are generally agreeable and residents are uniformly happy with their decision to train at S&W. Many even ranked Scott and White over the likes of UAB, OHSU, Vanderbilt etc. I cannot recall a single resident or faculty member that was not friendly to me, both within the Anesthesiology department and across surgical specialties. Excellent exposure to cardiac, neuro and regional. Fellowships in CCM, CT and Pain. Previously cited Peds as. Potential weakness but numbers have grown a great deal since opening the new Childrens hospital. Rank this #1 unless you are looking for a place with vibrant nightlife.

Texas Tech - A small program with only 4 spots per year. Dr. Wasnick has been Chair and PD for a couple of years now, and the improvement within the program is tangible. Wasnick has a very strong reputation especially in critical care and TEE realms and he seems to be an excellent resident advocate. New hires include fellowship trained faculty in CT and Peds. Cardiac numbers are on the rise recently and there is plenty of exposure to trauma and burns. Residents do have to spend a month in Dallas at Children's to supplement peds number, though. Otherwise, numbers are met with ease during CA2. Since the program is small, the residents are a tight-knit group and overall very nice. I play basketball with some of them pretty regularly. Pain is the only fellowship here and it is a very strong program. Would rank this place if you are interested in Pain.

UTSA- I do not have a lot to say about this program. It seemed like a decent place with cool residents and excellent moonlighting opportunities. I am not a huge fan of SA and I thought that the hospital was a dump. Good, not great. Rank in the middle.

I guess I'll play this game too. Anyone want to take a stab at my rank list??

Wake Forest
UNC
UPMC
UAB
Miami
Emory
Rush
Wash U
UCSD
Stanford
USC
Virginia Mason

Thanks

I guess I'll play this game too. Anyone want to take a stab at my rank list??

Wake Forest
UNC
UPMC
UAB
Miami
Emory
Rush
Wash U
UCSD
Stanford
USC
Virginia Mason

Thanks

Stanford and Washu probably the heaviest-hitters
closely followed by great programs like UAB, Emory, UPMC, WFU, Miami
UNC and Rush were not bad
didn't look at UCSD, USC, or Virginia Mason

any of those top seven will give you killer anesthesia training, probably some of the rest as well, rank where you see yourself the happiest among so many good choices

Sorry to keep bumping this up, but it's getting down to the wire, and I'm really torn...specifically between UTMB and MUSC #1. The ranking below is how my match list really is currently:

UTMB
MUSC
University of Arizona

UH- Case
Ohio State

Minnesota
Iowa
Texas Tech
Baystate

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who replies!