2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would appreciate any advice on my dilemma

I am originally from California, which is where my immediate family resides, and I am currently at a midwest med school. My top 3 programs (in no order) are UCLA, UW and U Colorado

I did an away rotation at UCLA thinking it would be my top choice, but after a month there I felt the residents weren't very happy and were overworked. They constantly talked about being a workforce. UW seemed like a good program but I didn't talk to any residents who were that enthusiastic about endorsing it, but they seemed satisfied. My other concern is the gloominess and rain of Seattle, which even my interviewer complained about. As far as U Colorado, I thought the residents seemed the happiest and had zero complaints. While it is slightly less prestigious, I thought their training seemed very well-rounded. My concern with Denver is that is not very diverse and still pretty far from my family, and as a single female minority (who is interested in dating another minority) I don't know how I would fit in. I do eventually want to end up back in California for practice, but I don't mind trying somewhere else for another 4 years.

Any takers?

1. Go to Colorado
2. Sign up for match.com

Members don't see this ad.

They're all great programs. UCLA does have a reputation of being a workhorse program, especially among other socal programs. I didn't interview at Colorado and never been to Denver but my friend who interviewed there loved the program and location that he's ranking it top choice (and he's from socal too).

I was going to write a dissertation about the benefits of the UCLA program, but you were there and can judge for yourself. You will leave that program extremely well-trained and ready for anything after graduation, which is what matters.

There is a certain breed of resident that thinks that doing cases after 3PM constitutes them being a "workforce." And yes, down the road at other SoCal programs, the residents start complaining at 3:30 that the nurse hasn't come in to relieve them yet.

But if we're to accept the premise that anesthesiology as a physician-led endeavor is worth fighting for, then you should finish your cases as a resident IMO. And since most cases at UCLA are big cases, they're (almost) all worth finishing. At the very least, you shouldn't just automatically hand over all the anesthesia keys to the nurses after 3PM, thereby ratifying their argument that they're functionally equivalent to us.

It's 60-65 hours a week. If that's a workhorse program, so be it. Whiners are gonna whine, and UCLA does have its share of that particular breed. But you can't argue with the training you get there.

But hey, I'm sure Colorado has a fantastic program too. Go where you think you fit in best. But if the reason you're not picking a program is "damn, I might have to stay an hour or two later to finish great cases because my administration doesn't believe in a CRNA workforce," then I have a bone to pick with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to write a dissertation about the benefits of the UCLA program, but you were there and can judge for yourself. You will leave that program extremely well-trained and ready for anything after graduation, which is what matters.

There is a certain breed of resident that thinks that doing cases after 3PM constitutes them being a "workforce." And yes, down the road at other SoCal programs, the residents start complaining at 3:30 that the nurse hasn't come in to relieve them yet.

But if we're to accept the premise that anesthesiology as a physician-led endeavor is worth fighting for, then you should finish your cases as a resident IMO. And since most cases at UCLA are big cases, they're (almost) all worth finishing. At the very least, you shouldn't just automatically hand over all the anesthesia keys to the nurses after 3PM, thereby ratifying their argument that they're functionally equivalent to us.

It's 60-65 hours a week. If that's a workhorse program, so be it. Whiners are gonna whine, and UCLA does have its share of that particular breed. But you can't argue with the training you get there.

But hey, I'm sure Colorado has a fantastic program too. Go where you think you fit in best. But if the reason you're not picking a program is "damn, I might have to stay an hour or two later to finish great cases because my administration doesn't believe in a CRNA workforce," then I have a bone to pick with that.

This exact same thing would apply to UW as well. It's not as cush as VM (or Colorado I guess) but experientially I would say you benefit in terms of case diversity/complexity.

Thanks for your insight. I agree with what you're saying; the "workforce" mentality was what was relayed to me by residents. I definitely wouldn't call U Colorado cush, I just thought they seemed happier, for whatever reason. But UCLA's reputation and location (for my purposes) are hard to turn down, thus my dilemma.

My understanding is that the more $hit hitting the fan I see and handle in residency, more competent and comfortable I will be as an attending. Leaving at 3 every day for 3 years means that I will have a whopping 20% less exposure-time to cases than someone who leaves at 5pm (considering 7-5, 10 hr days). There are arguments to be made over 'training hard' vs. 'Training smart' but IMHO until we have matrix-style facilities that can upload all needed info to our brains in one-go, nothing will beat spending time in the OR. Feel free to correct me if you think this is an incorrect line of reasoning.

I would love to read that dissertation you were thinking of writing :)

OK, I need some input.

I have decided on my top 5: Mayo, UPMC, Iowa, UMich, and UT Houston.

I will most likely do either a cardiac or peds fellowship and I don't really want to move.

Location be damned.

I am losing years off of my life trying to figure this out.

Hard to beat the cards and peds exposure at TMC and tons of fellowship spots you'd have a good shot at

maybe Mayo second, or first if you're name hungry and don't mind the cold

Upmc and mich seemed very solid too, good problem to have between all those!

Haven't been to Iowa (rejected grrrr)

Second TMC from that list--can't go wrong with Texas Heart and Texas Children's.

I dunno, man, based on my experiences, I would steer clear of UT-Houston. Multiple residents used the word "beatdown" to describe their experiences there, and the same was true for 2 of my friends - we all interviewed on different days. It's a giant program, too. You'll get decent training, but you won't get in tight with any of the attendings. I also wouldn't live in Houston unless I absolutely had to.

Iowa was really awesome. It fell down my list due to location, but Iowa City is a pretty cool college town. You'll work more than average, but your training will be top-notch.

Personally, I'd probably go Iowa, Mayo, UPMC, UMich, UT-Houston.

Last edited:
New name, since my other name has some obvious connections. Having trouble ordering my top 5. I really liked all 5 programs and would be very happy at all of them.

Anyone have input on the below programs? I'm mainly stuck regarding program quality and not so much location - I'm totally fine with all of the locations, despite them being very different. Future plans most likely include trying to get a job in a very competitive market/location.

-Michigan
-UAB
-UCSF
-Univ of Wisconsin
-Wake Forest

I know next to nothing about UCSF, but I'd probably rank the other 4 UAB, Wisconsin, Wake, Mich. Those are all great programs, with Mich being the least great, IMO. It sure would be tough to commit to living in Birmingham for 4 years, though. Blech.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to know people's thoughts about the following, given a research and academic career goal:

1) UPenn vs. Columbia
2) GW vs. Georgetown vs. UMd

For comparison 1, please disregard Philadelphia vs. NYC. Location is not as important as the programs' strengths/weaknesses themselves.

For comparison 2, please also disregard Baltimore vs. DC. I've heard Georgetown is really looked down upon by academic anesthesiologists. MD I've heard is super malignant and in danger of being put on probation? GW seems in the middle as far as "prestige" is concerned, but didn't think much research was going on there. I realize anything is possible, but would going to one of these three programs essentially cripple pursuit of a basic science research career, especially if one could go to Columbia or Penn instead?

Thanks for any advice. :thumbup:

New name, since my other name has some obvious connections. Having trouble ordering my top 5. I really liked all 5 programs and would be very happy at all of them.

Anyone have input on the below programs? I'm mainly stuck regarding program quality and not so much location - I'm totally fine with all of the locations, despite them being very different. Future plans most likely include trying to get a job in a very competitive market/location.

-Michigan
-UAB
-UCSF
-Univ of Wisconsin
-Wake Forest

Well it depends on where that competitive market/location you have in mind. Michigan for the midwest, UAB for the south, and UCSF has the most national network but especially the west, which has the most competitive job market.

I'd like to know people's thoughts about the following, given a research and academic career goal:

1) UPenn vs. Columbia
2) GW vs. Georgetown vs. UMd

For comparison 1, please disregard Philadelphia vs. NYC. Location is not as important as the programs' strengths/weaknesses themselves.

For comparison 2, please also disregard Baltimore vs. DC. I've heard Georgetown is really looked down upon by academic anesthesiologists. MD I've heard is super malignant and in danger of being put on probation? GW seems in the middle as far as "prestige" is concerned, but didn't think much research was going on there. I realize anything is possible, but would going to one of these three programs essentially cripple pursuit of a basic science research career, especially if one could go to Columbia or Penn instead?

Thanks for any advice. :thumbup:

Of these I only interviewed at Columbia and I wasn't incredibly thrilled. It is a great program. Just wasn't a fit for me. Both places do a lot of academic stuff and for you the choice should also depend on your research interests. If you are thinking about anything that had something to do with critical care then penn (I.e. Lee Fleischer's connections) will be best. Columbia has this guy they brought in from Hopkins who is an epidemiologist and does epidemiologist-y things, so if large database outcomes are your thing then Columbia maybe good. The anesthesia training would be more or less equivalent at both places or for that matter at any program within the 'elite' tier that these two are in. I don't km now about UMD, didn't apply to that, but haven heard the same rumors as you mentioned. Maybe true, maybe just rumors. Those three are not in the class of Columbia or Penn, that's for certain.

-Michigan
-UAB
-UCSF
-Univ of Wisconsin
-Wake Forest

I concur with a previous poster that UCSF is in a class of its own. 'Prestige' wise (whatever that means and dunno if that means better jobs), I'd suggest:
UCSF
Mich=UW=UAB (on a scale of -20F to 50F, what would you be more comfy with? How much did you like the chewy cake-like think that Mich gives you on check in, etc, should influence your choice :p)
Wake

I concur with a previous poster that UCSF is in a class of its own. 'Prestige' wise (whatever that means and dunno if that means better jobs), I'd suggest:
UCSF
Mich=UW=UAB (on a scale of -20F to 50F, what would you be more comfy with? How much did you like the chewy cake-like think that Mich gives you on check in, etc, should influence your choice :p)
Wake

There is cake? Interviewing students get cake? WTF? Everything I hear about being a 4th year just keeps getting better and better.

There is cake? Interviewing students get cake? WTF? Everything I hear about being a 4th year just keeps getting better and better.

Champion Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispie (basically a very very yummy rice crispy treat)

My friend, it will be a sight to behold....plenty free food, and NOT goddamn pizza or wraps. PROPER, FANCY RESTURAUNT FOOD. In fact, hypothetically speaking, ofc, if I was, say, a very strong candidate in NYC, I'd apply to each and every NY/nj program. Applying costs $25 max. Food on interview applicant dinner is worth more than those $25 AND you can bring an SO (or opposite gender friend posting as SO) and they eat for FREE. Can you imagine!! Free, unlimited booze! (At columbia free tequila shots too!)
Guess why I do courtesy interviews? :p

My friend, it will be a sight to behold....plenty free food, and NOT goddamn pizza or wraps. PROPER, FANCY RESTURAUNT FOOD. In fact, hypothetically speaking, ofc, if I was, say, a very strong candidate in NYC, I'd apply to each and every NY/nj program. Applying costs $25 max. Food on interview applicant dinner is worth more than those $25 AND you can bring an SO (or opposite gender friend posting as SO) and they eat for FREE. Can you imagine!! Free, unlimited booze! (At columbia free tequila shots too!)
Guess why I do courtesy interviews? :p

This makes me want to start a new thread...

Of these I only interviewed at Columbia and I wasn't incredibly thrilled. It is a great program. Just wasn't a fit for me. Both places do a lot of academic stuff and for you the choice should also depend on your research interests. If you are thinking about anything that had something to do with critical care then penn (I.e. Lee Fleischer's connections) will be best. Columbia has this guy they brought in from Hopkins who is an epidemiologist and does epidemiologist-y things, so if large database outcomes are your thing then Columbia maybe good. The anesthesia training would be more or less equivalent at both places or for that matter at any program within the 'elite' tier that these two are in. I don't km now about UMD, didn't apply to that, but haven heard the same rumors as you mentioned. Maybe true, maybe just rumors. Those three are not in the class of Columbia or Penn, that's for certain.

Columbia used to have the chief editor for Anesthesia & Analgesia (and expert witness in the Michael Jackson trial). I believe he said that he was leaving this year to either go back to UCSF or Stanford. I can't remember which one. Penn has Fleischer and Eckenhoff.

I would really appreciate someone else's input on these programs, my top 4. I have gone back and forth on how to rank these programs countless times. I would be thrilled to match at any of them. FWIW, I'm planning on doing a fellowship after residency, possibly in CT or critical care.

UTSW, UAB, Duke, Wake Forest

One thing that has been nagging at me is that a resident at my Duke interview said he considered their weakest area to be Peds. I can't figure out if this is a legitimate weakness, or if perhaps it's a relative weakness compared to their other sub specialties. Thanks for any and all input, it is greatly appreciated.

I would really appreciate someone else's input on these programs, my top 4. I have gone back and forth on how to rank these programs countless times. I would be thrilled to match at any of them. FWIW, I'm planning on doing a fellowship after residency, possibly in CT or critical care.

One thing that has been nagging at me is that a resident at my Duke interview said he considered their weakest area to be Peds. I can't figure out if this is a legitimate weakness, or if perhaps it's a relative weakness compared to their other sub specialties. Thanks for any and all input, it is greatly appreciated.

Haha, you asked for a "weakEST area," right? If it helps, I had the same concern about Duke before I started, but after 2 peds rotations I'm not concerned. You'll get your numbers easily, and there is only one fellow so you don't have a ton of competition for bigger cases. The attendings are all excellent.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. The other programs are all good, too; I don't think you can go wrong. Good luck with your decision.

hard to beat Duke and UAB in the southeast if you ask me

getting in to one of those is a different story - seems like everyone wants to go to them this year, with UAB holding a bigtime moonlighting carrot in addition to an all-around excellent program

Wake and UTSW are totally different - want to do chronic pain or be a regional expert? Wake above UTSW...want to be in a small education-focused program? Wake above UTSW...want to be in one of those programs where you work hard at a huge hospital system where you see everything? UTSW above Wake...thinking CT fellowship? maybe UTSW above Wake with that fancy new hospital opening where they'll be moving most of the big hearts stuff

Interviewed at 11 programs. Ranking the following.

Cedar Sinai
UTMB
UTSW
Texas A&M
Case Western Cleveland
Rush
Maimonides
Henry Ford

What do you guys think about these programs and how would you order them?

Cedar Sinai
UTMB
UTSW
Texas A&M
Case Western Cleveland
Rush
Maimonides
Henry Ford

i've only been to Rush and Maimonades. I would put those pretty low.

need help ranking the following:

tufts, maine medical center, Uconn, cleveland clinic, drexel, baystate, temple, umass, UF- gainesville, maimo, UMDNJ- RW, and cooper.

thoughts? thanks folks!

need help ranking the following:

tufts, maine medical center, Uconn, cleveland clinic, drexel, baystate, temple, umass, UF- gainesville, maimo, UMDNJ- RW, and cooper.

thoughts? thanks folks!

I put CCF above UCONN, cancelled Baystate and did not rank UMASS.

Cedar Sinai
UTMB
UTSW
Texas A&M
Case Western Cleveland
Rush
Maimonides
Henry Ford

I'm only familiar with the Texas programs on your list, and those 3 are supposed to be pretty good programs.

Cedar Sinai
UTMB
UTSW
Texas A&M
Case Western Cleveland
Rush
Maimonides
Henry Ford

With all other things being equal, I think the call schedule at UTSW for CA-1s is a bit on the heavy side

another lurker here wanting help with the following comparisons, assuming location is not involved, based on strength of clinical training, ability to pursue fellowships, and not unreasonable work hours:

duke vs emory
unc vs maryland

any and all comments appreciated!

another lurker here wanting help with the following comparisons, assuming location is not involved, based on strength of clinical training, ability to pursue fellowships, and not unreasonable work hours:

duke vs emory
unc vs maryland

any and all comments appreciated!

I think Duke does well in all of those areas.

I liked the people at UNC a lot, and that surrounding area is beautiful.

Baylor vs. University of Chicago vs. NYU vs. Loyola.

Discuss.

Baylor vs. University of Chicago vs. NYU vs. Loyola.

Discuss.

Hands down UChicago > Loyola in every aspect I can think of. E.g., location, education, networking, fellowship, national recognition. I know UChicago is in the Southside but it's much closer to the loop than Maywood.

NYU vs. UChicago is a tossup and I'd say the biggest factor in deciding between these two is the location.

I don't know anything about Baylor except RGIII. Could be pro/con.

Struggling as I loved both programs. Want to do peds (better in Seattle is my understanding) and like the city of Seattle more but wondering if the strength of UCSFs program and reputation outweighs those factors...thoughts?

Questions to ask yourself:
Do I like cold weather?
Yes/No.
No: UCSF.
Yes: Why do I like cold? I shouldn't like cold. UCSF.
In order to minimize exposure to Seattle, do residency at UCSF and PEDs fellowship in Seattle. With UCSF's stellar reputation, I doubt that you'd have any trouble matching anywhere. Also, make buddies with the peds fellowship PD at the ASA. Foolproof plan.

UConn, Penn State, Rush, Texas Tech, UT Houston, VCU, UCLA Harbor, Indiana Univ, UK. Thinking of ranking in that order (lowest to highest). Thoughts?

Which is more important to land a private practice job in SoCal? Local residency in a decent program (loma Linda) or a strong national program with strong alumni networks (umich, ohsu, upitt, ccf)? I feel like I would be happier at a residency outside so cal but if regional networking is that important I might have to think twice.

UConn, Penn State, Rush, Texas Tech, UT Houston, VCU, UCLA Harbor, Indiana Univ, UK. Thinking of ranking in that order (lowest to highest). Thoughts?

I would do :

Houston, vcu, Texas tech, Penn state, UK, Indiana, Conn, rush, harbor ucla

Strong consideration given to happiness, then moonlighting, and finally reputation.