2013-2014 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea when we will have our financial aid packages?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unlikely, given that Second Look happened within a few days of Admissions even posting the waitlist. If someone had been, I would suspect it would indicate that Admissions had anticipated accepting the person and came up a few class spots short of what they had expected (for whatever reason). Nevertheless, as hard as this is, I would really encourage you all to allow yourselves to do other things instead of coming back here over and over and obsessing about the waitlist. If you have been waitlisted, that means you might get a call/email in a few months. Assume you won't and move on with life as if it just wasn't going to happen this year. If it does, it's a great surprise but it's seriously not worth obsessing over. It's just going to make you miserable if you do.

I agree with the idea that worrying/obsessing won't change anything, however wasn't it stated in this thread that about 50-60% of the class comes from the waitlist anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else get an e-mail asking for your SSN to process your FAFSA?

Yes I did as well. Hopefully this means we will be getting our FA packages soon!
I'm just wary of giving out my personal info without confirming that it's secure. The phone number they gave out matches the admissions number though, so I guess it's safe.

I agree with the idea that worrying/obsessing won't change anything, however wasn't it stated in this thread that about 50-60% of the class comes from the waitlist anyway?

More like 30-50%. At least half the students they pick take MCV. About 350-400 offers will likely be made by the beginning of August. Of the extra 100-200, many will be to people who received multiple initial offers (i.e., this is where the late-May movement comes from); some will be to people who got waitlisted here as well as other places (i.e., this is where later summer movement comes from), and some will take the first offer they get. I would suspect that they have another 150-200ish offers yet to be made, but no one (not even Dr. WC or the Chair of the AdCom) can say for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
Not to be debbie downer here but wanted to be realistic. while there are more offers to be made, it's important to remember that most of the movement will be on the out of state list. In state movement will be much less, if any. An M2 told me that her year, they had 11 people off the waitlist for in state but I'm sure the trend changes on a yearly basis.

Not to be debbie downer here but wanted to be realistic. while there are more offers to be made, it's important to remember that most of the movement will be on the out of state list. In state movement will be much less, if any. An M2 told me that her year, they had 11 people off the waitlist for in state but I'm sure the trend changes on a yearly basis.

Thanks again for the umpteenth reminder that in-staters WL'ed have no chance. I think we all get it by this point, no need to keep rubbing salt in the wound.

Why do I even keep coming on here? Sighs.

Thanks again for the umpteenth reminder that in-staters WL'ed have no chance. I think we all get it by this point, no need to keep rubbing salt in the wound.

Chickenmaster, if 11 people were taken of the IS list last year, that means you DO HAVE a chance. For all you know, you're #1 on the wait list, in which case, only 1 person has to reject an offer. . . No salt rub here!

Nobody is trying to be harsh. Instead, they're just trying to keep us all realistic about what the next few months may or may not hold. I've been told a career in medicine requires a tough skin. It might be in our best interest to start acting like the strong and confident physicians we hope to be starting now.

Try your best to not take everything so personally. I know it's easier said than done, but if you're going to be helping others battle diseases and injuries, it's wise to develop stress management techniques so you too don't fall apart in the process. You've mentioned crying a few times in this thread. Instead of getting worked up, try to focus on the good:
*You were granted an interview and a spot on the wait list.
*You may still be accepted in the upcoming months.
*And if you have to wait one more year, do you really think you'll be looking back when you're 75, thinking "I really wish I had been accepted to med school in 2014 instead of 2015." I don't believe you will.

Reactions: 3 users
Nobody is trying to be harsh. Instead, they're just trying to keep us all realistic about what the next few months may or may not hold. I've been told a career in medicine requires a tough skin. It might be in our best interest to start acting like the strong and confident physicians we hope to be starting now.

Try your best to not take everything so personally. I know it's easier said than done, but if you're going to be helping others battle diseases and injuries, it's wise to develop stress management techniques so you too don't fall apart in the process. You've mentioned crying a few times in this thread. Instead of getting worked up, try to focus on the good:
*You were granted an interview and a spot on the wait list.
*You may still be accepted in the upcoming months.
*And if you have to wait one more year, do you really think you'll be looking back when you're 75, thinking "I really wish I had been accepted to med school in 2014 instead of 2015." I don't believe you will.

I agree with you on the tough skin, which I definitely feel is important and something that I could work on. I also agree with you on focusing on the positives - I mean, it is awesome that we are waitlisted out of 8,000+ applicants this year, and by no means am I taking that for granted. I've also already starting putting together my plan and next steps for reapplication - so I have that covered as well.

What I'm saying is just this situation is frustrating and exhausting. I wait for 6:30pm every single day and this waitlist is always on my mind. It frustrates me even further that I can't do anything to change my spot, regardless of hard I try. I'm just not a person to sit back and watch things happen [or not happen] so this whole thing is just tiring. I won't ever stop trying, but I just wish more than anything I could start medical school, especially at MCV. I love everything about medicine, the coursework, the learning, interacting with patients, helping people, etc. etc. and I'm just upset because I'm not there yet :( I'm so ready, but it's not happening.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you on the tough skin, which I definitely feel is important and something that I could work on. I also agree with you on focusing on the positives - I mean, it is awesome that we are waitlisted out of 8,000+ applicants this year, and by no means am I taking that for granted. I've also already starting putting together my plan and next steps for reapplication - so I have that covered as well.

What I'm saying is just this situation is frustrating and exhausting. I wait for 6:30pm every single day and this waitlist is always on my mind. It frustrates me even further that I can't do anything to change my spot, regardless of hard I try. I'm just not a person to sit back and watch things happen [or not happen] so this whole thing is just tiring. I won't ever stop trying, but I just wish more than anything I could start medical school, especially at MCV. I love everything about medicine, the coursework, the learning, interacting with patients, helping people, etc. etc. and I'm just upset because I'm not there yet :( I'm so ready, but it's not happening.

Each one of us who isn't holding an acceptance feels that same way. You're not doing yourself any favors by getting frustrated with the way the school doesn't rank or by waiting until 6:30pm each day only to be disappointed. Your medical school applications - albeit important - should not be your entire life. You have family, friends, and maybe even a job, multiple volunteer positions, hobbies -- focus on those aspects of your life right now. Enjoy moments with family and friends while you have the time. Explore your current state/city/backyard - you may not live there in a few months. Focus on your work/volunteer work - that sounds like the type of dedication person you are. Work on the things you can work on. Don't just "do better" for your possible reapp - better yourself and enjoy your life, in general. You don't have to wait to be accepted to medical school to do so.

Added bonus: if it doesn't happen this year, you'll have other things to be proud of.

Reactions: 4 users

It sounds like you need to find some other hobbies. Waiting until 6:30pm every day to see whether or not you get pulled off a waitlist is probably the worst thing you could be doing with your time. I recently heard a great quote by someone (paraphrasing):

"People always say it's the big things you do in life that determine whether or not you succeed -- your SAT score; who you marry; whether & where you go to college. It's not! It's the decisions you make and actions you take every day -- the small, seemingly insignificant decisions and actions -- that ultimately determine your success or failure. The 'big' ones are nothing more than mile posts by which the sum of the smaller ones can be measured."

The fact that you are basically sitting around every day until 6:30 to see whether or not your signpost magically goes from "failure" to "success" might even give some insight into why you were waitlisted in the first place. I don't mean this to be harsh, but someone who states they are waiting all day, everyday for "the call" doesn't really sound like someone I would give high marks to for admission to medical school. Would you?

damn. music2doc is really harsh. I agree with some of his (her?) points but not the way it was said.

I can't fully understand but I can imagine waiting and hoping for a call. I don't know how an interviewer can perceive your eagerness and desire as a bad thing so don't beat yourself up. I have many friends in your exact same position, chickenmaster. Just know that this application cycle is still not over. I imagine that there will be some movement after the date in May (I think it's the 15th) when deposits are no longer refundable.

Chickenmaster, if 11 people were taken of the IS list last year, that means you DO HAVE a chance. For all you know, you're #1 on the wait list, in which case, only 1 person has to reject an offer. . . No salt rub here!

This makes me think of the quote from Dumb and Dumber. I just found it on imdb:

Lloyd Christmas: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?

Mary Swanson: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...

Lloyd Christmas: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Mary Swanson: Not good.

Lloyd Christmas: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary Swanson: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lloyd Christmas: So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!

damn. music2doc is really harsh. I agree with some of his (her?) points but not the way it was said.

I can't fully understand but I can imagine waiting and hoping for a call. I don't know how an interviewer can perceive your eagerness and desire as a bad thing so don't beat yourself up. I have many friends in your exact same position, chickenmaster. Just know that this application cycle is still not over. I imagine that there will be some movement after the date in May (I think it's the 15th) when deposits are no longer refundable.

I honestly don't think music2doc is being harsh. I think he's right. Yes, it's tough. Yes, there's an enormous amount of stress during this process. But we are the cream of the crop. How many friends of yours were initially pre-med and gave up? You should be proud of yourself, and you WILL get there.

If you're going to be a physician you need to be confident. No one's going to trust you and believe in you when you're treating near-death illnesses. I understand it's tough, but hang in there. I'm on the OOS wait-list too.

Last edited:

It was not meant to be harsh.

Chickenmaster, I can absolutely understand wanting to get in and get a start to your medical education. Your desire to get started is admirable. My point wasn't that I think you are poorly qualified or a poor fit and I mentioned that in terms of your interview only because I know when I was waitlisted at places, I wanted to know why (and perhaps that might provide insight for you, which is also a critical thing schools look for in their applicants). Regardless, my point was simply that it would be best to pursue hobbies and work on projects you enjoy right now instead of torturing yourself waiting for a call from a medical school that may or may not ever come. It's the things you are doing now that will determine your success next cycle should you end up having to reapply. I would encourage you to try to think about and prepare for the future as it stands now rather than be paralyzed by your focus on something you cannot change.

Reactions: 1 users
Tough call, but officially withdrew my acceptance on Friday. As ideal as the location/in-state tuition would be for me at VCU, I just don't feel the new curriculum and academic reputation would put me in the best position to achieve my career goals. What's 60k more in loans anyway, right? Best of luck to everyone with the remainder of the cycle!

Cool story bro.

It sounds like you need to find some other hobbies. Waiting until 6:30pm every day to see whether or not you get pulled off a waitlist is probably the worst thing you could be doing with your time. I recently heard a great quote by someone (paraphrasing):

"People always say it's the big things you do in life that determine whether or not you succeed -- your SAT score; who you marry; whether & where you go to college. It's not! It's the decisions you make and actions you take every day -- the small, seemingly insignificant decisions and actions -- that ultimately determine your success or failure. The 'big' ones are nothing more than mile posts by which the sum of the smaller ones can be measured."

The fact that you are basically sitting around every day until 6:30 to see whether or not your signpost magically goes from "failure" to "success" might even give some insight into why you were waitlisted in the first place. I don't mean this to be harsh, but someone who states they are waiting all day, everyday for "the call" doesn't really sound like someone I would give high marks to for admission to medical school. Would you?

Sigh.

Last edited:
I think all he was saying is that it's unhealthy to perseverate on it at the moment. Worrying yourself to death at 6:30pm every day isn't likely to change the admissions outcome but doing everything you can to show substantive improvement over the previous cycle is likely to have an impact, even if it only manifests in a subsequent cycle. Read point #8 here. I think he was trying to say something like that.

I think all he was saying is that it's unhealthy to perseverate on it at the moment. Worrying yourself to death at 6:30pm every day isn't likely to change the admissions outcome but doing everything you can to show substantive improvement over the previous cycle is likely to have an impact, even if it only manifests in a subsequent cycle. Read point #8 here. I think he was trying to say something like that.

That's kind of a cool post you found. He has some interesting pieces of wisdom.

I would say that the post you cited is a practical way to get to what I was implying. I would say in a more general sense, I was referring to whether a person's activities can be best described as proactive, reactive, or passive. In a situation like those who are waitlisted at schools are in at this point, there are basically three possible types of socially-appropriate responses:

• Do nothing and wait around/talk about it with friends/teachers/etc. until you get "the call" (Passive response)
  • Call Admissions requesting to know what you did wrong/write letters of intent/seek feedback/etc. (Reactive response)
    • Anything done solely in response to feedback given at this stage
  • Work on yourself/develop your hobbies/continue achieving, just as before (Proactive response)
In my mind, the big differences here are that the reactive person requires an impetus to get going. S/he needs direction before beginning and doesn't really get to work until there is a clear need to. In contrast, the passive person shows no signs of taking initiative. Both lack initiative, but it is a matter of degree. The proactive person, on the other hand, never stopped working because there was a motivator outside of medical school admissions. I would suspect this person is likely to be successful as a medical student b/c s/he works hard right out the gate, prioritizes, has both goals and systems in place to achieve those goals, and likely has a long track-record of success.

This makes me think of the quote from Dumb and Dumber. I just found it on imdb:

Lloyd Christmas: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?

Mary Swanson: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...

Lloyd Christmas: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Mary Swanson: Not good.

Lloyd Christmas: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary Swanson: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lloyd Christmas: So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!

That was a lot of work for nothing productive at all but thank you.

Music2doc is actually being honest and upfront. I'm surprised he even took the time out of his day to tell someone that sounds kinda crazyyyy to chill out.

If someone fails they work hard and get back on their feet. It's a whole lot better than driving yourself insane then making theatrical posts on sdn about how you're waiting 24/7 for "the call"

Last edited:
Music2doc is actually being honest and upfront. I'm surprised he even took the time out of his day to tell someone that sounds kinda crazyyyy to chill out.

If someone fails they work hard and get back on their feet. It's a whole lot better than driving yourself insane then making theatrical posts on sdn about how you're waiting 24/7 for "the call"

For the record, (which I don't know even know why I'm responding to you) I've signed up for another MCAT, started more volunteering, and am reaching out to physicians for new shadowing opportunities over the summer - not to mention securing more recommendation letter writers for the next cycle and thinking about my new personal statement. Yes, I'm waiting for the "call", but that doesn't mean that I haven't been proactive in working towards improving my application for next cycle.

For the record, (which I don't know even know why I'm responding to you) I've signed up for another MCAT, started more volunteering, and am reaching out to physicians for new shadowing opportunities over the summer - not to mention securing more recommendation letter writers for the next cycle and thinking about my new personal statement. Yes, I'm waiting for the "call", but that doesn't mean that I haven't been proactive in working towards improving my application for next cycle.

Good luck with everything.

I'm not sure how it works at US schools, but do you send your final transcripts directly to the school or to AMCAS? I can't seem to find this information anywhere. My problem is that I am going to be in Tanzania from May 8th -June 10th in an extremely rural area, and won't have internet or phone access. So I likely need to send my transcript before I leave regardless of whether or not I get in. Or do you not need to submit a final transcript?

That was a lot of work for nothing productive at all but thank you.

Took 30 seconds to copy/paste from imdb. As for the productivity, I wasn't quoting Nietzsche. I was quoting "Dumb and Dumber". I had a medical school interview with my backup in the Carribean last week and the doctor was lamenting how none of the students interviewing with her catch the references she makes (specifically she was complaining about students being to young to remember ER). I am a non-trad so my references are a little dated. Dumb and dumber old - not Nietzsche old :)

I know VCU isn't responsive to updates really, but I am a co-author an a nature publication that was published last week. Do you think that is something I should be sending along? I know the ranking is fairly set, so do you think that would have any influence at all? I also (fingers crossed) should have a 4.0 from this past year, but I am assuming sending in an updated transcript at this point would have no bearing on my application.

Just accepted today! Pretty surprised but better late than never!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off the wait list as of this evening!!

I know VCU isn't responsive to updates really, but I am a co-author an a nature publication that was published last week. Do you think that is something I should be sending along? I know the ranking is fairly set, so do you think that would have any influence at all? I also (fingers crossed) should have a 4.0 from this past year, but I am assuming sending in an updated transcript at this point would have no bearing on my application.

Their website says they will accept updates about publications and new grades. And NATURE??? Absolutely send that in!!

I was accepted off the waitlist today as well!! I'm IS.

Their website says they will accept updates about publications and new grades. And NATURE??? Absolutely send that in!!

Haha, yeah, it was a great graduation present (I'm only 3rd author though, but it was 8 months worth of work). Do you have any suggests as to who I should send this to?

And CONGRATS on the acceptance!!!!!

Haha, yeah, it was a great graduation present (I'm only 3rd author though, but it was 8 months worth of work). Do you have any suggests as to who I should send this to?

And CONGRATS on the acceptance!!!!!

I would email Dr. Whitehurst-Cook. I, too, had a publication update and that's what I did.

And thank you!!

EDIT: and a third author, especially in Nature, is nothing to be modest about!!

I lived in Thailand for a few years so it's a Thai word with English spelling. It basically means laid back.

Same word in Cambodian- I lived there for a few too so I recognized it.

I would email Dr. Whitehurst-Cook. I, too, had a publication update and that's what I did.

And thank you!!

EDIT: and a third author, especially in Nature, is nothing to be modest about!!
Thanks! (It obviously worked out well for you :) )

GOT ACCEPTED OF THE WL!!! YESSS my first choice so happy gahhhh!!!! All the waiting final paid off!

Congratulations! Did the status update come around the same time as the others?

Accepted off the wait list today! Pretty surprised, as I didn't expect to hear anything until at least May 15th.