2013-2014 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, they sure seemed to waitlist everyone (me included). How big is their waitlist?

I believe I read in last year's thread that they wait list around 200 IS and 200 OOS. The numbers could have changed this year, though.

I believe I read in last year's thread that they wait list around 200 IS and 200 OOS. The numbers could have changed this year, though.

There was a substantial number of individuals accepted off the waitlist only a few days after being waitlisted. (If I remember correctly, the mass waitlist notification was sent out March 15 and then a large number of people were accepted off the waitlist on March 19th).

If we are following suit with last year's thread, then should we also expect that there will be very large waitlist movement in the next few days (maybe like 50 acceptances in 4-5 days)?

There was a substantial number of individuals accepted off the waitlist only a few days after being waitlisted. (If I remember correctly, the mass waitlist notification was sent out March 15 and then a large number of people were accepted off the waitlist on March 19th).

If we are following suit with last year's thread, then should we also expect that there will be very large waitlist movement in the next few days (maybe like 50 acceptances in 4-5 days)?

I know it's just my SDN fueled neuroticism but does anyone know if our answer on the waitlist form have any bearing on an offer or not?

If I remember correctly (I'm embarrassed to admit that I can recall details from a past year's thread) that was a special case. There was some sort of computer error that placed the last group of 50 on the wait list but they rectified the issue by accepting those 50 on March 19th.

If I remember correctly (I'm embarrassed to admit that I can recall details from a past year's thread) that was a special case. There was some sort of computer error that placed the last group of 50 on the wait list but they rectified the issue by accepting those 50 on March 19th.

I remember thinking the same thing as I read last year's VCU thread - that those accepted on March 19th were not coming off the waitlist but were rather the 4th bunch of 50 to be accepted. It looked like no one on SDN was accepted off the waitlist until after May 15th.

Also, has anyone heard anything about second look yet? I'm curious because last year's thread made it sound like only those in the top 50-100 of the waitlist were invited.

I remember thinking the same thing as I read last year's VCU thread - that those accepted on March 19th were not coming off the waitlist but were rather the 4th bunch of 50 to be accepted. It looked like no one on SDN was accepted off the waitlist until after May 15th.

Also, has anyone heard anything about second look yet? I'm curious because last year's thread made it sound like only those in the top 50-100 of the waitlist were invited.

A current student mentioned earlier in the thread that Second Look Day was going to be smaller this year, so it may not include "top 50" the way it did according to last year's thread. Also, some of the first people who posted that they were accepted from the wait list last year were not invited to Second Look.

I was under this same impression. I believe the error was caused by the move to the new medical school. After mid-March, the next group accepted off the wait list posted on SDN the third week of May. I'm just staying positive and busy in the meantime.

Hang in there, everyone!

Good Luck to everyone waiting! Stay positive and fight till you get there!

Side Question Did anyone do the pre-matriculation program? Is it beneficial? And how much is the stipend?

Thank you

Good Luck to everyone waiting! Stay positive and fight till you get there!

Side Question Did anyone do the pre-matriculation program? Is it beneficial? And how much is the stipend?

Thank you

+1

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone,

I hope this doesn't dash anyone's hopes and that this does not ruin your April Fools day, but VCU SOM announced today, the first of April, that they have decided to cut the number of students for the Class of 2018 back to 200. This decision was made due to the declining match rate for medical students nationwide. For the second year in a row, MCV's match rate (previously at 97%) has been at or below the national average several years ago of 94%. In order to ensure the match rate this year of 93% (an all-time low) remains our nadir and with the proposed opening of the A. Sloof School of Medicine in southwest Virginia, our Dean, Dr. A. F. Strauss, announced in an email to the student body that the SOM will maintain a smaller class size until GME funding and residency spots can be increased. While this will not impact those who have already been accepted, as the school expects to lose more than 20 of those offers to other programs, it can be assumed this may impact waitlisted applicants. I wish all of you the best and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Hey Everyone,

me hope this doesn't dash anyone's hopes and that this does not ruin yer awesome day, but VCU SOM announced today, the first of April, that they have decided to cut the number of students for the Class of 2018 back to 200. This decision was made due to the declinin' match rate for medical students nationwide. For the second year in a row, MCV's match rate (previously at 97%) has been at or below the national average several years ago of 94%. In order to ensure the match rate this year of 93% (an all-time low) remains our nadir and wit the proposed openin' of the A. Sloof School of Medicine in southwest Virginia, our Dean, Dr. A. F. Strauss, announced in an email to the student body that the SOM will maintain a smaller class size until GME fundin' and residency spots can be increased. While this will not impact those who have already been accepted, as the school expects to lose more than 20 of those offers to other programs, it can be assumed this may impact waitlisted applicants. me wish all of you the best and may the odds be ever in yer favor!

*hopes dashed*

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh. As if I wasn't feeling so terrible already. This year has been awful.

Why do my "eye's" keep turning to me's?

Hey Everyone,

me hope this doesn't dash anyone's hopes and that this does not ruin yer awesome day, but VCU SOM announced today, the first of April, that they have decided to cut the number of students for the Class of 2018 back to 200. This decision was made due to the declinin' match rate for medical students nationwide. For the second year in a row, MCV's match rate (previously at 97%) has been at or below the national average several years ago of 94%. In order to ensure the match rate this year of 93% (an all-time low) remains our nadir and wit the proposed openin' of the A. Sloof School of Medicine in southwest Virginia, our Dean, Dr. A. F. Strauss, announced in an email to the student body that the SOM will maintain a smaller class size until GME fundin' and residency spots can be increased. While this will not impact those who have already been accepted, as the school expects to lose more than 20 of those offers to other programs, it can be assumed this may impact waitlisted applicants. me wish all of you the best and may the odds be ever in yer favor!
lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone,

Can't lie, I'm a bit concerned by this. I've already been accepted, but the declining match rates are pretty worrisome to me. VCU had been my top choice coming into this cycle, but this, combined with the new curriculum has somewhat dissuaded me. I have a couple M1 friends here, both of whom seem rather dissatisfied/annoyed with the new curriculum, and I myself feel like the school has not been completely "up front" about what exactly this new curriculum entails. I don't have an inherent problem with PBL or curriculum reform, but feel this should be a major focus during interviews and on the website. Still learning towards attending due to location/family considerations, but have been starting to second-guess myself as of late. Can anyone attest to the average board scores at VCU? A certain new med school in Southwest VA has been boasting scores of 240+ (not that it matters all that much, but its impressive nonetheless).

Hey Everyone,

Um... hahaha

Can't lie, me be a bit concerned by this. me've already been accepted, but the declinin' match rates be pretty worrisome to me. VCU had been my top choice comin' into this cycle, but this, combined wit the new curriculum has somewhat dissuaded me. me have a couple M1 friends here, both of whom seem rather dissatisfied/annoyed wit the new curriculum, and me myself feel like the school has not been completely "up front" about what exactly this new curriculum entails. me don't have an inherent problem wit PBL or curriculum reform, but feel this should be a major focus durin' interviews and on the website. Still learnin' towards attendin' due to location/family considerations, but have been startin' to second-guess myself as of late. Can anyone attest to the average board scores at VCU? A certain new med school in Southwest VA has been boastin' scores of 240+ (not that it matters all that much, but its impressive nonetheless).

Aye! It really sucks that the match rate dipped like that.
Prided ourselves on that 97% match rate, we did.
Real worry, though, is for the students at unknown schools and the Caribbean.
I have a friend in the Carib and I'm really concerned about her ability to match back in the States.
Like, I don't really think it will be that big a deal for us at MCV. You win some and you
lose some, but we are still above the national average of 92% as the current rate is 93% (nat'l avg = 92% this year).

40 is a great USMLE score, but we're not doing too badly ourselves.
Our averages the last two years have been 31 (c/o 2015) & 30 (c/o 2014).
Our Dean is anticipating that with the new curriculum, we should be able to break a 40 average.
Look, the new curriculum is required of all schools; TBL/PBL is the future regardless, so find a school where it's at least a year or so in. (You'll be year #3.)

Sigh. As if me wasn't feelin' so terrible already. This year has been awful.

Why do my "aye aye me hardies's" keep turnin' to me's?
Sorry to hear that. I hope things improve soon.

Last edited:
^ This isn't an April Fool's joke...is it?

So the class size is going from 210 to 200?

Reactions: 1 users
thought it was too d/t "A. Sloof School of Medicine" and "A.F. Strauss" but those errors might be d/t the pirate filter.

Aye! It really sucks that the match rate dipped like that.
Prided ourselves on that 97% match rate, we did.
Real worry, though, is for the students at unknown schools and the Caribbean.
I have a friend in the Carib and I'm really concerned about her ability to match back in the States.
Like, I don't really think it will be that big a deal for us at MCV. We are still above the national average of 92% as the current rate is 93% (nat'l avg = 92%).

Forty is a great USMLE score, but we're not doing too badly ourselves.
Our averages the last two years have been 31 (c/o 2015) & 30 (c/o 2014).
Our Dean is anticipating that with the new curriculum, we should be able to break a 40 average.
Look, the new curriculum is required of all schools; TBL/PBL is the future regardless, so find a school where it's at least a year or so in. (You'll be year #3.)
Sorry to hear that. I hope things improve soon.

Aye aye aye... me be truly surprised with y'all. Me wonder.... think too hard. Me want cookie.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
That really wasn't funny. I definitely cried last night because of that. Not cool =/

Has anyone emailed Dr. WHC about the waitlist yet or is it too early? I read on last year's thread that she sometimes gave relative positions like "you have a good chance" or "you should work on reapplying."

If I remember correctly, she typically won't give out any indications or advice until at least May. The official position on the applicant website is that they won't disclose info on the ranking at all.
I'd say that you should reapply if you don't have acceptance elsewhere, keeping in mind there is more movement on the OOS WL.

Has anyone emailed Dr. WHC about the waitlist yet or is it too early? I read on last year's thread that she sometimes gave relative positions like "you have a good chance" or "you should work on reapplying."

I would probably suggest anyone wait listed at (or rejected from) all schools to which they applied begin "working on reapplying" at this point in the cycle if they have not done so already. I generally suggest beginning to actively work on improving your [future] application starting in January if you have not received an offer by the end of the first half of the cycle, since chances tend to decline steadily as the cycle wears on and by the time you are given the official "no" from any/most programs, it will be far too late to apply "on time," much less make any improvements to your application for a second run. If you wait until schools give you "feedback," I would plan to skip an application cycle.

That really wasn't funny. I definitely cried last night because of that. Not cool =/

I am sorry that my April Fools joke upset you. I tried pretty hard to make it clearly a joke with multiple April Fools references in it, but I certainly understand this is a stressful process. Hopefully, some good news will come your way soon. Good luck.

Does requesting a phone appointment (over meeting in person) show a lack of interest?

Does requesting a phone appointment (over meeting in person) show a lack of interest?
Were you instructed to do so anywhere? Or is this just something you're looking to do on your own?

I am sorry that my April Fools joke upset you. I tried pretty hard to make it clearly a joke with multiple April Fools references in it, but I certainly understand this is a stressful process. Hopefully, some good news will come your way soon. Good luck.

I got a laugh out of it. I do, however, want to know if you were serious about the declining match rate.

Were you instructed to do so anywhere? Or is this just something you're looking to do on your own?

I guess looking forward to doing it on my own...just wondering if it would be improper to request a phone appointment if I can't attend the appointment in person

I guess looking forward to doing it on my own...just wondering if it would be improper to request a phone appointment if I can't attend the appointment in person
I guess what I am getting at is what is the purpose of the appointment? I think that changes the answer

I got a laugh out of it. I do, however, want to know if you were serious about the declining match rate.

So besides what I said about the class size changing (and the related names, etc.), everything I said in those posts was true. The MCV match rate has been declining; however, the decline has been in line with the national average match rate (and has stayed consistently above average):

Class/////MCV Step 1////Match MCV*////Match US MD*

c/o 2012//////// 29/////////////97%//////////////94%
c/o 2013////////30 /////////////94%//////////////93%
c/o 2014////////31//////////////93%//////////////92%
* Match rates are Pre-SOAP/Scramble

Nah... I probably wouldn't be requesting things like that until a bit later, though. Asking mid-cycle is kind of pushy.

Last edited:
Any word on when offers will be made to those on the waitlist next? Or when the second look is?

Any word on when offers will be made to those on the waitlist next? Or when the second look is?

Pretty sure Second Look was this weekend being as they were asking around for hosts for Friday night...

As for the waitlist, it's barely April. Give them until at least May 15th to even begin looking at the waitlist. Actual offers will probably begin to come out mid-May with the first (and biggest) wave being around the last week of May. Smaller waves will continue for all schools until late-July. At this point, you're simply at the mercy of your peers and their decisions as to which school to attend. You might as well get another set of LORs, try to present a poster somewhere, work on getting a raise at work, etc., for the time being. Worrying about medical school and the current cycle at this point is nothing but counterproductive.

Pretty sure Second Look was this weekend being as they were asking around for hosts for Friday night...

As for the waitlist, it's barely April. Give them until at least May 15th to even begin looking at the waitlist. Actual offers will probably begin to come out mid-May with the first (and biggest) wave being around the last week of May. Smaller waves will continue for all schools until late-July. At this point, you're simply at the mercy of your peers and their decisions as to which school to attend. You might as well get another set of LORs, try to present a poster somewhere, work on getting a raise at work, etc., for the time being. Worrying about medical school and the current cycle at this point is nothing but counterproductive.

Appreciated.

Tough call, but officially withdrew my acceptance on Friday. As ideal as the location/in-state tuition would be for me at VCU, I just don't feel the new curriculum and academic reputation would put me in the best position to achieve my career goals. What's 60k more in loans anyway, right? Best of luck to everyone with the remainder of the cycle!

Reactions: 5 users
Tough call, but officially withdrew my acceptance on Friday. As ideal as the location/in-state tuition would be for me at VCU, I just don't feel the new curriculum and academic reputation would put me in the best position to achieve my career goals. What's 60k more in loans anyway, right? Best of luck to everyone with the remainder of the cycle!

Thanks for doing that before you really had to. It may never effect me but I'm sure it will make someone's day/month/life to get that acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
So did any waitlisted people get invited to second look? I remember seeing last year that they invited some waitlisted people but haven't heard anything yet

So did any waitlisted people get invited to second look? I remember seeing last year that they invited some waitlisted people but haven't heard anything yet
+1 I would also like to know this...

+1 I would also like to know this...

Unlikely, given that Second Look happened within a few days of Admissions even posting the waitlist. If someone had been, I would suspect it would indicate that Admissions had anticipated accepting the person and came up a few class spots short of what they had expected (for whatever reason). Nevertheless, as hard as this is, I would really encourage you all to allow yourselves to do other things instead of coming back here over and over and obsessing about the waitlist. If you have been waitlisted, that means you might get a call/email in a few months. Assume you won't and move on with life as if it just wasn't going to happen this year. If it does, it's a great surprise but it's seriously not worth obsessing over. It's just going to make you miserable if you do.

Reactions: 1 users