2013-2014 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like that positive attitude. Hopefully we hear something about the waitlist in the next few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

For folks wondering about post-interview statistics, MSAR is really helpful. Last year, VCU interviewed 400 IS and 466 OOS students. From what Dean WC said, they sent out a grand total of about 400 offers in order to have 101 IS and 99 OOS students eventually matriculate. Assuming the numbers are about the same this year, if you're on hold, you're not in a bad spot. Only 50 offers went out on March 17. 150-200 more are likely coming, and the pool will be smaller by the time they go out. Don't fret y'all, we're doing alright.

Those sound like the stats for my class or the one before mine. They are definitely not for the c/o 2017 (as the class size is wrong by about 16 students for the c/o 2017 and is even a couple off for the c/o 2016). Nevertheless, they interviewed ~900 for the c/o 2017 and ~1000 for the c/o 2018. Historically, ~40-50% of interviewees have received an offer.

If y'all are interested, VCU killed it this year:

"58 students matched into primary care fields: internal medicine (31), pediatrics (14), and family medicine (13).

Six students matched into combined residency programs: internal medicine/pediatrics (3), internal medicine/family medicine (1), internal medicine/emergency medicine (1), and pediatrics/psychiatry/child psychiatry (1).

Students matched in other specialties: anesthesiology (21), obstetrics and gynecology (15), emergency medicine (14), general surgery (10), diagnostic radiology (8), orthopedic surgery (8), neurology (5), psychiatry (5), dermatology (3), pathology (3), otolaryngology (3), plastic surgery (2), physical medicine and rehabilitation (2), vascular surgery (1) and radiation oncology (1).

Some students matched into specialties that reported match results earlier in the year: urology (7) and ophthalmology (6).

Three students were matched into military programs.

30 VCU School of Medicine students matched to residency positions at VCU Health System."

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it difficult for VCU students to match back to CA? I'm OOS and as of now I'd really like to come back to my home state. I see some amazing CA matches but I'm wondering if it's challenging to match back in CA or if there are just a lot of students who didn't apply to CA programs. (Competitiveness vs preference?)

CA is difficult to match into from anywhere, just like it's very difficult to get into a CA med school from anywhere. However, we do send quite a few students back there every year. I don't think graduating from here will be the reason you don't get into residency in CA. Of the 6 M4s I was talking to last night 2 of them were matched in CA.

CA is difficult to match into from anywhere, just like it's very difficult to get into a CA med school from anywhere. However, we do send quite a few students back there every year. I don't think graduating from here will be the reason you don't get into residency in CA. Of the 6 M4s I was talking to last night 2 of them were matched in CA.

Thank you! :)

Anyone hear back about the waitlist yet? Or any more specific details on when we should hear back?

A friend on here told me that WHC expects the WL won't move much at all this year and we should plan on reapplying/plan B.

Anyone hear back about the waitlist yet? Or any more specific details on when we should hear back?

The log-in page said that a wait list will be created in late March, and last week, the page said that more news would come in two weeks time. I'm thinking it'll be next Monday.

A friend on here told me that WHC expects the WL won't move much at all this year and we should plan on reapplying/plan B.

Unless you hear it from Dr. WHC herself, I wouldn't believe that. Even a current student has posted that sometimes up to ~150 offers can be made to those on the OOS WL. We will all just have to wait and see. At this point, it's impossible to determine who will be accepted elsewhere, which school students with multiple acceptances will choose come May 15th, and how those (and any other factors) will play into offers made to those on the WL.

Reactions: 1 user
The log-in page said that a wait list will be created in late March, and last week, the page said that more news would come in two weeks time. I'm thinking it'll be next Monday.

Unless you hear it from Dr. WHC herself, I wouldn't believe that. Even a current student has posted that sometimes up to ~150 offers can be made to those on the OOS WL. We will all just have to wait and see. At this point, it's impossible to determine who will be accepted elsewhere, which school students with multiple acceptances will choose come May 15th, and how those (and any other factors) will play into offers made to those on the WL.

Actually, it was from WHC herself.

You're contributing to the confusion. I think any reasonable person who didn't have an acceptance in hand by Dec/Jan started to work on all aspects of reapplication but to act like there won't be any movement from the WL is absurd. Perhaps time will prove me wrong as every passing year sees a jump in the competitiveness and size of the overall applicant pool but the next few months will be the true litmus test (especially after May 15th). Can we use even recent years as a templete for what to expect? Probably not, but I imagine there will still be some shuffling of the accepted applicants in the coming weeks/months. And numbers from prior years supply a better guideline than some anonymous, unverified quote that may or may not have been correctly interpreted by the listener. All we can do is be patient and work on strengthening ourselves should the need to reapply arise.
I know it feels good to vent and indulge in a little hysteria, but let's be positive and approach this thing rationally.

You're contributing to the confusion. I think any reasonable person who didn't have an acceptance in hand by Dec/Jan started to work on all aspects of reapplication but to act like there won't be any movement from the WL is absurd. Perhaps time will prove me wrong as every passing year sees a jump in the competitiveness and size of the overall applicant pool but the next few months will be the true litmus test (especially after May 15th). Can we use even recent years as a templete for what to expect? Probably not, but I imagine there will still be some shuffling of the accepted applicants in the coming weeks/months. And numbers from prior years supply a better guideline than some anonymous, unverified quote that may or may not have been correctly interpreted by the listener. All we can do is be patient and work on strengthening ourselves should the need to reapply arise.
I know it feels good to vent and indulge in a little hysteria, but let's be positive and approach this thing rationally.
I agree with you 100%!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I sincerely hope that this isn't the case :( That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it moved less than last year's.

I sincerely hope that this isn't the case :( That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it moved less than last year's.
Considering that Dr. WHC said on interview day to expect about 350-400 offers being extended, I'm gonna stick with that.

Reactions: 2 users
Hopping on the WL bandwagon! Just curious, is anyone aware of how many people get rejected post-interview (i.e. is everyone either accepted or WLed)?

Does anyone know approximately how many people are waitlisted each year?

waitlisted, but in love with VCOM....thinking about withdrawing so one of you other bright minds get's a better shot!

Waitlisted as well. Will likely withdraw (from OOS if lists are separate), and I hope you guys see lots of movement this year! :)

Waitlisted as well, these are the options:

1) I have been accepted elsewhere but still wish to be considered by VCU/MCV.
2) I have not been accepted anywhere else and wish to be on the alternate list at VCU/MCV.

Will option #1 put me at a disadvantage for an acceptance here? That seems a bit unfair... What did you guys choose? (I already have an acceptance)

Waitlisted as well - I loved the school and would definitely prefer to go here over my other acceptance! OOS for those who care.

WL, as well - hopeful for some movement. I love this school.

Hmm wonder if anyone actually got rejected considering every non-SDN person I know that was on hold got waitlisted as well. Guess that means there's a lot of people waaah

Waitlisted. IS. Interviewed in August. The wait continues. I have no acceptances thus far and 2 waitlists (here and EVMS). Hopefully the IS waitlist at VCU will move a little bit this year.

Rejection right here! Ah well. Good luck to all of you waitlisted!

Waitlisted along with my two IS friends. We were certain at least ONE of us would get in. We were very wrong.

Waitlisted, and only hope at this point! Good luck everyone!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WAITING!! Keep fighting for your dreams and you will get there!

Quick Question: Did anyone do the pre-matriculation program? Is it beneficial? And how much is the stipend?

Thank you in advance :)

Wow, they sure seemed to waitlist everyone (me included). How big is their waitlist?

Has anyone heard anything in regards to merit scholarships? I was told by an admissions offer that they were planning on extending offers mid-March. I'm just curious if anyone up here has heard anything.

Thanks!