2013-2014 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It took me a while to get around the right websites but if you go to your matriculation status it gives you the info you need to set everything up!
Were you given a password at the matric status, or did you create your own password?

Members don't see this ad.

Were you given a password at the matric status, or did you create your own password?

There's a set up option on the VCU portal that asks for your eID and number or something, and then you can make a password. Sorry I'm not being that helpful hahah if it helps your username should be your last name and then first initial. Someone correct me if I'm wrong pls!

For any of you still waiting on financial aid - it may be due to correcting your FAFSA. My aid hadn't been posted so I called to check. It turns out their system gets "confused" if someone submits a FAFSA but then has to resubmit with corrections (which was my case). Just call them and let them know and they can begin the FAFSA retrieval process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off the waitlist today!! I still can't believe it! I interviewed in early January had been waiting ever since. I'm OOS with a 3.84 and 31 MCAT. SO STOKED TO GO HERE!!

Reactions: 3 users
For future VCU WL'ers, we should keep this updated with this year's WL acceptances. Also added last year's and pre-5/15 WL acceptances.

Updated below:

2013-14: 4/28 (x4), 4/29 (x2), 5/16 (x3), 5/30
2012-13: 5/19 (x3), 5/24, 6/10, 7/9 **New building opened, causing diff. WL acc schedule
2011-12: 4/12, 5/2, 5/15 (x10), 5/17, 5/22 (x3), 5/23, 6/1 (x4), 6/12 (x4), 6/28, 7/26, orient. wk
2010-11: 4/6, 4/7, 5/4, 5/13, 5/17 (x2), 5/18, 5/23, 5/26 (x5), 5/28, 6/28, 7/14, 8/8
2009-10: 4/27, 5/13, 5/19 (x7), 5/28 (x2), 6/8, 6/9, 6/23, 6/24 (x2), 8/5, 8/10

I just got off the waitlist today!! I still can't believe it! I interviewed in early January had been waiting ever since. I'm OOS with a 3.84 and 31 MCAT. SO STOKED TO GO HERE!!
Wow congrats! Those are almost exactly my stats (3.85, 31). You must have interviewed better :p nice job! I hope I get off the list too

For those of you who have already been accepted, how long did it take for your documents to change from pending to received? How long til you heard back about financial aid or anything? I emailed a bunch of documents that they acknowledged they received via email but haven't processed yet. Same with transcript.

Mine took about 2 weeks. You can always call them though.

Hello everyone,

I was recently accepted to VCU off the waitlist and now need to decide if I am attending VCU or Wayne State.

I liked the vibe at VCU but would still like to hear student opinions. Can anyone describe what their daily schedule is like ? I heard it is 8-12, with group work in the afternoons? How much studying do they do per day / is there free time? I know it differs for everyone, but I am just looking for opinions. If anyone has contact info for students I could contact, that'd be great too.

ALSO: Does anyone know if VCU accepts online credits? I have one of my English credits as online, but my MSAR expired just yesterday. If someone could let me know, that'd be great. I emailed them just in case.

Hello everyone,

I was recently accepted to VCU off the waitlist and now need to decide if I am attending VCU or Wayne State.

I liked the vibe at VCU but would still like to hear student opinions. Can anyone describe what their daily schedule is like ? I heard it is 8-12, with group work in the afternoons? How much studying do they do per day / is there free time? I know it differs for everyone, but I am just looking for opinions. If anyone has contact info for students I could contact, that'd be great too.

ALSO: Does anyone know if VCU accepts online credits? I have one of my English credits as online, but my MSAR expired just yesterday. If someone could let me know, that'd be great. I emailed them just in case.

Hi and congrats! I'm going to try my best to answer these questions. I had very similar questions when I was deciding between VCU and Mayo. I'm not a current student, simply another applicant who asked a ton of questions to students, deans, etc so take that with a grain of salt!

A close friend of mine told me that her daily schedule is this: wakes up at 7 am, goes to class from 8-12. About 1-2 afternoons a week is free time but she spends those times studying. On those afternoons that she does have class, she'll go home around dinner time, chill for an hour or two and then hit the books again until 11pm, when she heads to bed. Weekends are spent mostly studying but she'll go out at least once every other weekend. She also told me that there are people in the class who go out every weekend (and even some weekdays) so there definitely seems like enough time for fun!

I looked on MSAR for you, and there is no check next to "Online accepted" for English credits :( See what they say in their email response!

Members don't see this ad :)
On another note, I've decided to withdraw. It was a really tough decision to make.

I'm in state, GPA in the 90th percentile, MCAT..mmmm not so much haha

Were you given a VCU eid password on the admissions portal in order to login and see financial aid info? It gave me a VCU eid but not the password. And I can't seem to create a password myself.

Hey! Sorry I'm just seeing this, haven't logged in for a while. I was given the VCU eid and created my own password. I don't remember how I got to that step though. Maybe try calling admissions? Good luck!

On another note, I've decided to withdraw. It was a really tough decision to make.

I'm in state, GPA in the 90th percentile, MCAT..mmmm not so much haha

GL at Mayo. It is a fantastic choice!

Reactions: 1 users
Officially withdrew from waitlist, accepted at my in state school.

Last edited:
So is the next round of acceptances going to be this Friday? Since it seems they're doing every two weeks?

I emailed Dr. WHC and she said that the in-state waitlist is still moving but she does not know how long it will continue. She also said that they send out offers every couple of weeks so yeah I guess around this Friday if that is when they were going out in the past.

I emailed Dr. WHC and she said that the in-state waitlist is still moving but she does not know how long it will continue. She also said that they send out offers every couple of weeks so yeah I guess around this Friday if that is when they were going out in the past.
Did she say anything about the OOS wait list?

Did she say anything about the OOS wait list?

I didn't ask specifically but from past years it seems like the OOS waitlist moves a lot more and longer than the IS so I would assume that it is still moving and will be moving for some time.

I sent an email a couple weeks ago to Dr. WHC also, but did not get a response. I was accepted at Grenada(St Georges) and sent in a 1000 deposit. Still waitlisted at VCU (where I applied early admission) and at EVMS. I have to pay for the Grenada term in mid-July, so I am definitely curious about the waitlist. When I talked to the EVMS admin office, they cautioned me about the risk of not getting a residency if you go to a foreign school, but I still feel like it is my best option if I cannot get off the waitlist. I was able to get a high score on the MCATS, and I am confident that I will be able to get a high score on the USMLEs if I go to Grenada. Of course I greatly prefer the match statistics of the US Med Schools (~95%) versus the foreign schools (~50%). But I still think it comes down to the individual.

how long did it take for Dr. WHC to email you back? I also emailed her a couple days ago and have not yet heard back.

Have you considered emailing st.george for a deferral until their next term starts? I was in the same situation and actually deferred my acceptance for 1 year in the case I did not get into any MDs.
I attended an SGU information session and they said if you defer to the January Term then you have to wait 6 months after you finish your 4th year to do residencies. So you are basically setting yourself back a full year. If I don't get off the waitlist this year, I have no reason to believe next year will be any different. I suppose if VCU or EVMS lets me in after July 15th I will just have to eat one semesters tuition at St Georges. I don't think a lot of people get off the waitlist after July 15th though. It would be nice to get off before then, but it doesn't seem like the IS waitlists move very much.

Was accepted elsewhere and recently withdrew (was WLed) from VCU! Good luck to everyone still waiting :)

I was accepted today at 3:24! 1st acceptance and in shock.

Reactions: 8 users
Also accepted today at 6:24. IS.

Longtime lurker. First post ever. 4th time applying to medical school. Got married on Saturday, accepted today. Not a bad weekend. Now off to my honeymoon.

Reactions: 12 users
Just got accepted yesterday off the waitlist as well. OOS, and it's my first acceptance! So excited :)

Reactions: 2 users
What time is it?
Anyone going to that workshop this Friday? I'm wondering whether that would be useful

I am going too! Not sure how helpful it'll be, but I don't think it hurts. Do you remember what time it was?

What time is it?

I am going too! Not sure how helpful it'll be, but I don't think it hurts. Do you remember what time it was?

Continental breakfast is from 8:30 - 9:00, with first official workshop activity at 9:00 am! :)

Wish I could go but I'm OOS. Let us know how the workshop goes!

Hi! Just checking in after the FinAid Workshop....basically it was a "Pre-Orientation". I think the take home message is to make sure that you complete all of the forms on the Application Website and Orientation Website.

For me, its a lot of paperwork, especially getting my immunizations and it's all due by the first day of orientation (8/4)!

Hey all,

It was a really tough choice but I decided to withdraw my acceptance from off of the waitlist recenty. I'm OOS. Hope this ends up being good news for one of you and have an amazing time at VCU!

So no news since mid June on the waitlist? I'm guessing its probably stagnate by now considering only three weeks till start of classes...

There are a bunch of VCU parking lots with 24/7 security. But the last I heard they were all sold out except "I Lot." Which I think is the furthest away

Well, I heard today was the last day for wait-list people to be added. Unfortunately, some of us didn't make it. However, Congrats to all of you that got in. I hope it's a great and worthwhile experience.

First day of orientation today! Glad to meet all the new classmates!

Got the reject from the waitlist status update:

Thank you for considering the School of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University. Classes began in August. We regret that we were unable to offer you a place off our alternate list.

I guess I will be starting at SGU in Grenada next week.