2013-2014 Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, so, considering how half this city is hipster-cool with bikers of all types, I have no idea how you make this assertion. Not to mention Richmond just hosted a pretty legit bicycle race/competition.

I think we are using different places as comparison. I was referring to the area immediately surrounding MCV, as opposed to the Fan (which is certainly more bike-friendly). Downtown lacks bike-lanes; has sidewalks with frequently uneven slabs; and has a lot of crazy drivers (case-in-point – walking home last spring, a bunch of us had to dodge a car whose driver apparently decided she didn't want to wait for the traffic in front of her to move, so she had driven up ONTO the sidewalk). I am use to cities of more than a half million (e.g., Portland, Seattle, Denver, San Francisco, Madison, Tucson, etc.) having not only bike lanes on most major roads throughout the city but often also having separate bike paths that offer alternative routes to destinations, bypassing the major thoroughfares altogether (sometimes even having tunnels under those roads to avoid having to cross them). RVA is a great city in a lot of other ways, but we hosted a bicycle race by closing 3 of the major roads that run through the Fan and downtown. That says very little about it's cyclist-friendliness.

As I mentioned, we have a couple of people in our class who regularly bike a couple of miles to class, so it is absolutely doable. My point was simply that it may not be as easy as someone used to a bike-friendly city might otherwise have assumed.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with what @music2doc is saying. I lived in RVA for a few years and Richmond is always doing constructions around the downtown area. I brought my bike when I moved here thinking that I'd bike everywhere but I ended up driving/walking to most of the places. It can always be done obviously, but just try it out and see if you want to risk your life and stick to it.

officially withdrew. Still didn't have my financial aid info on my VCU portal....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on the movement the new few days???

They've gone out on the 17th and 19th in previous years. Crossing my fingers we all hear good news soon! :xf:

Someone posted this last year (people accepted after 5/15 and posted on studentdoctor.net):

2011-12: 5/15 (x10), 5/22 (x3), 6/1 (x4), 6/12 (x4), 7/26
2010-11: 5/17 (x2), 5/18, 5/24, 5/26 (x5), 5/28, 6/28, 7/14, 8/8
2009-10: 5/19 (x7), 5/28 (x2), 6/7, 6/8, 6/23, 6/24 (x2), 8/5

For future VCU WL'ers, we should keep this updated with this year's WL acceptances. Also added last year's and pre-5/15 WL acceptances.

2013-14: 4/28, 4/29
2012-13: 5/19 (x3), 5/24, 6/10, 7/9 **New building opened, causing diff. WL acc schedule
2011-12: 4/12, 5/2, 5/15 (x10), 5/17, 5/22 (x3), 5/23, 6/1 (x4), 6/12 (x4), 6/28, 7/26, orient. wk
2010-11: 4/6, 4/7, 5/4, 5/13, 5/17 (x2), 5/18, 5/23, 5/26 (x5), 5/28, 6/28, 7/14, 8/8
2009-10: 4/27, 5/13, 5/19 (x7), 5/28 (x2), 6/8, 6/9, 6/23, 6/24 (x2), 8/5, 8/10

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted at 4:24!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS 31 mcat 3.3 sGPA, 3.7 cGPA. This was my only acceptance!
Yay!! You must be be overjoyed! I hope to see you at VCU in the fall...still wait listed!!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted yesterday! OOS :)

Last edited:
congrats to all of you. By the way for the people who have not gotten in, does your status page still work? Mine stopped working and I don't know if that's normal.

Does anyone know if VCU accepts AP credits for math? I can't seem to find this anywhere on their websites ,etc.

I was accepted off the waitlist (OS) on Friday as well. Any girl looking for a roommate near VCU SOM? Let me know!

Does anyone know if VCU accepts AP credits for math? I can't seem to find this anywhere on their websites ,etc.

I checked MSAR for you, and there aren't any checkboxes in "AP Accepted" for College Math. It might be best to call the office to double-check!

Called- as long as you got college credit for the class then you are good- at least for the math requirements.

Was hoping to see some IS alternative-list movement today, especially with the movement history of previous 5/19 days. The waiting continues =)

"Be prepared to drive to your preceptor’s office every other week. Preceptorship sites are located within a 45-mile radius of the MCV campus; there are very few practices that are served by public transportation. Therefore, you are expected to make provisions for your own transportation."

Does this mean we need a car for first year?

"The School of Medicine requires students to make their own provisions for travel to assigned clinical sites. Students are expected to have access to a vehicle during the four years of their medical school education." --Taken directly from school's website. http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/md/fcm/preceptorships.html

"The School of Medicine requires students to make their own provisions for travel to assigned clinical sites. Students are expected to have access to a vehicle during the four years of their medical school education." --Taken directly from school's website. http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/md/fcm/preceptorships.html

Keep in mind, though, that Richmond has Zipcar . Not sure how well it works--I haven't lived there in awhile--but if you don't already own a car and question the need to buy one, you would "have access to a vehicle" without owning one if you get a membership.

Has anyone tried accessing the forums that they mention at the end of the second announcement? It says that the forum password is on the orientation part of the applicant website, but I don't see it anywhere...

Withdrew myself from the waitlist as I was accepted at a Canadian School. I hope that will bump somebody up and give them the spot they need.

Withdrew myself from the waitlist as I was accepted at a Canadian School. I hope that will bump somebody up and give them the spot they need.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I was accepted in December and still no info.. :/

Wonder what's taking so long?? I could be wrong, but I thought someone said they called and that they would have everyone's posted by now...

Did you try going on eservices ? Then click on awards under financial aid? I didn't get an email about financial aid (loan offers) but had an email about a small partial scholly

Yeah I've been checking for the past few weeks. Bummer. Haha

That's so strange! Have you tried calling them? Have you done fafsa ?

Yeah, I submitted FAFSA and need access pretty early - feb/march around that time I think. I had asked the financial aid office about info early this month and they told me aid info wouldn't be available until they figured out the COA and stuff for 2014-2015... But I noticed other students are getting their awards so maybe mine's coming up. Any OOS students here received anything??

I was told they haven't finalized COA and tuition yet. Maybe that's why it's taking so long.

That's so strange! Have you tried calling them? Have you done fafsa ?

I'm in the same predicament, actually. Accepted in February, completed FAFSA and Need Access, but still not a word from Financial Aid aside from a scholarship email.

I was wondering if anyone purchased a laptop from the RamTech...or would it be better to purchase a laptop from somewhere else?

So anyone to predict/guess when the next round of acceptances will be coming? :\

Also, does anyone know the size of the waitlist this year?

So anyone to predict/guess when the next round of acceptances will be coming? :\

This is just a guess, but because they handed out acceptances last Friday and appear to give 1 week for accepted applicants to decide, maybe spots will be offered again tomorrow? Let's hold out hope! :xf:

I'm in the same predicament, actually. Accepted in February, completed FAFSA and Need Access, but still not a word from Financial Aid aside from a scholarship email.
Were you given a VCU eid password on the admissions portal in order to login and see financial aid info? It gave me a VCU eid but not the password. And I can't seem to create a password myself.

Were you given a VCU eid password on the admissions portal in order to login and see financial aid info? It gave me a VCU eid but not the password. And I can't seem to create a password myself.

It took me a while to get around the right websites but if you go to your matriculation status it gives you the info you need to set everything up!