2013-2014 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone sent in updates via mail, and do you receive a confirmation e-mail like what you get when you submit an online portal update?

I sent something by mail a few months ago. I never got an e-mail confirmation, but I did receive an interview invitation shortly after. I assumed that meant they got it, even though I didn't get an official response!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Called yesterday and they said that there was no movement off of the alternate list so far

Reactions: 1 users
Called yesterday and they said that there was no movement off of the alternate list so far
Uh oh I hope this doesn't mean the class is totally full? We may have to wait until the May 15 deadline before any spots open

Withdrew my alternate list for a DO school. Hope this helps a little to those still waiting. Loved the school and congratulations to all who have been accepted. Great, great school for those lucky enough to attend.

I withdrew from the school as well. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Anyone heard anything from GW recently? This thread has been so quiet. Past threads seem to indicate lots of movement in early May.

1 week until we *hopefully* start hearing news for sure.

Good luck to those waiting.

Last edited:
Looking at the 2011-2012 thread, it seems that the first batch of people who got the "extreme merit" email got a call the immediate following day. Waitlist movement this time seems to be taking awhile :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else received a merit e-mail or heard anything from admissions?! This wait is killing meeeee

Waiting as well...Hopefully we can hear by the end of the week

Me too. I have been waiting since 2013...

anyone talked to admissions recently? Did they say any movement has occurred at all? It's so strange that no one has heard anything since in past years it seems the waitlist sees significant movement in early may.

anyone talked to admissions recently? Did they say any movement has occurred at all? It's so strange that no one has heard anything since in past years it seems the waitlist sees significant movement in early may.
It seems like they aren't going to do anything until May 15. However, I have noticed that the Facebook group number has been dropping. It's down to 165 right now which is less than the class size of 177. No one new has been added in a while. (Yes, I know this is weird that I check the number of Facebook group members...but I'm dying for an acceptance).

It seems like they aren't going to do anything until May 15. However, I have noticed that the Facebook group number has been dropping. It's down to 165 right now which is less than the class size of 177. No one new has been added in a while. (Yes, I know this is weird that I check the number of Facebook group members...but I'm dying for an acceptance).
LOL I do the same thing, ahahaha except that I don't think it's weird at all.

Gotta figure many of those in that group are current students as Well, so even better

ACCEPTED JUST NOW OFF ALTERNATE LIST!
Received the merit email a few weeks back!
Good luck to everyone still waiting, it sounds like they just started pulling people off.

ACCEPTED JUST NOW OFF ALTERNATE LIST!
Received the merit email a few weeks back!
Good luck to everyone still waiting, it sounds like they just started pulling people off.

Around what time did you get your phonecall? and congrats!!

Got an e-mail instructing me to call the Dean of Admissions around 9:15 AM and called around 10:30!!

I got the merit email a few weeks ago and still waiting...... the waiting is killing me as well!!!!

great news that there is finally some movement though! congrats!!!!

Accepted as well a few hours ago!! I also received the merit email a few weeks ago. The wait was killing me, but the email this morning was too much to handle. Hang in there everyone!!!

Accepted as well a few hours ago!! I also received the merit email a few weeks ago. The wait was killing me, but the email this morning was too much to handle. Hang in there everyone!!!
Are you guys located in the east coast? Trying to see if they're notifying the people in the east coast first, and maybe get to the west coast people later, as it is still a bit early here.

Funny enough, I began this cycle at home on the east coast and now have been living in CA for the past 3 months. I received the email today at 550 PST!

ahhh missed call(s) from the director of admissions this afternoon! Left a message saying that he really wanted to talk to me in person.. hope that's good news. Interviewed mid-March. No merit email here. To those who were accepted (fingers crossed) via phone.. how much time do they give you to decide?

Interesting. Has anyone else who got the merit email not yet heard back?

ahhh missed call(s) from the director of admissions this afternoon! Left a message saying that he really wanted to talk to me in person.. hope that's good news. Interviewed mid-March. No merit email here. To those who were accepted (fingers crossed) via phone.. how much time do they give you to decide?
Got an e-mail instructing me to call the Dean of Admissions around 9:15 AM and called around 10:30!!

What were your guys' stats if you don't mind me asking, and state of residence (besides lafamilia)? Congrats by the way!! I hope some of us get to join you guys!!

Do people get off the waitlist without having received a merit email?

A person I spoke with from the admissions office (a male, admissions counselor?) said there are no 'merit letters'.. :C not cool

Also, for anyone on the alternate list with questions roaming around..:

From http://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/md/admissions/interviews/alternate

Alternate Status
Applicants may be placed on the alternate pool. While an alternate, the committee encourages the submission of any updates to your file that one feels are important. Continued interest in GW and any updated accomplishments are of strong importance to the Committee on Admissions. Those that wish to update their file can do so via the online application portal.

Frequently Asked Questions
How large is the alternate pool? Where do I stand?

The number of students accepted from the alternate pool varies from year to year. We are unable to tell you how many students are included in this pool. Some years a large number and some years only a few of students are accepted from this group, but please know that some seats will become available.

There is no traditional 1, 2, 3… ranking system and as such, we are unable to give you any indication as to where you stand with the committee. The alternate process is very fluid so we strongly recommend sending in update letters and letters of interest throughout the year.

What is the timeline for decision-making for those in the alternate pool?

The pool of alternates will be reviewed in the early spring and a letter will be sent at that time regarding the expected timeline for those in the alternate pool. As spots become available, the admissions committee will review files as necessary to keep the class full. However, just because an individual withdraws from the class, it doesn’t automatically mean there will be a seat available.

As per the Traffic Rules for Applicants set out by the AAMC, by May 15, all applicants holding multiple acceptance offers or seats, must choose the specific school or program at which they prefer to enroll, and withdraw their application from all other schools or programs at which they have been accepted. Therefore, most of the movement for alternates takes place in late May (not on May 15th itself), and can continue throughout the summer.

How will I know if my status has changed?

If your status changes, you will be contacted by phone immediately. Please be sure that your most current contact information (including phone number(s), email and mailing addresses) is on file with AMCAS.

I'm concerned that GW may be unable to reach me via phone for a period of time due to travel or other circumstances, what should I do?

Please notify us of your plans via email to [email protected]. Include the dates when you will be unavailable (start and end dates) and, if possible, the contact information for an alternative person who you’ve elected to make the decision on your behalf. Please include in the email, the person’s full name, their relationship to you, their contact information and a statement saying that you designate this person to make the decision on your behalf.

It’s getting close to the start of the next cycle and I haven’t heard a final decision? Should I reapply?

Submitting an application for the next cycle as an alternate will have absolutely no negative impact on the decision for your possible acceptance. If you are thinking about reapplying, we recommend that you go ahead with the process as you would normally, as it is very difficult to give you an indication of when we may have movement.

It's coldly paradoxical that students are dying to get accepted to medical school to address (or at least in many cases) the healthcare crisis in this country yet admissions people are so nonchalant with how they handle the entire process. Often times I feel dehumanized lol

Reactions: 2 users
If you got the merit email, i think youre pretty much guaranteed acceptance at some point

Do people get off the waitlist without having received a merit email?
I believe they do, judging from past threads. It seems that only a very select few get "the email", and then get accepted soon after, but there are more who get pulled off the waitlist without that email...it just depends on how many are holding acceptances at GW right now :(

I wonder if calling the admissions office would shed any light...?

I wonder if calling the admissions office would shed any light...?
called today and was told, "We cannot reveal any information regarding waitlist movement or if the class is full."

Does anyone know if waitlisters are granted an exit interview? Just had one at my state school and found it really helpful. Stung a bit, but still insightful as to what adcoms are looking for.

Does anyone know if waitlisters are granted an exit interview? Just had one at my state school and found it really helpful. Stung a bit, but still insightful as to what adcoms are looking for.

i don't think so since they get a looot of apps

what is an exit interview? and thank you so much for calling by the way! I guess we can't expect them to give us too much info...just wish we knew whether the class is full.