2013-2014 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate list today, too. Interviewed 2/25. I'm pretty bummed. Hope we don't have to wait all the way til May to find out....

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected from pre-interview hold, not a huge surprise.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an e-mail stating that I'm still in the running IF they decide to hold late spring interviews (unlikely).

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to the pre-interview rejection. Looks like it's time to move out of DC then!

Got an e-mail stating that me are still in the running IF they decide to hold late spring interveiws (unlikely).

+2

They seem to overly emphasize the slim the chances of getting an interview at this point. Is there really any hope left?

+2

They seem to overly emphasize the slim the chances of getting an interveiw at this point. Is there really any hope left?

+3. Will be withdrawing thou! Good luck for those hoping for a shot at an interview spot in the spring!

me interveiwed at GW last Thursday and someone asked when they would be done with interveiws. The interveiw coordinator said they hadn't decided on a final date yet and were still going to conduct some interveiws, so don't lose hope yet! (me was on pre-interveiw hold for months and finally got an II after 2 updates).
Trying to muster up words for an additional update.just wrote one in February and not sure what else to say (shy of BEGGING)

+2

They seem to overly emphasize the slim the chances of getting an interveiw at this point. Is there really any hope left?
+4 (pleasantly) surprised. In past rounds they never bothered to send this message. Just kept me on hold.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED! via email a couple hours ago.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
they have sent that message in past rounds. People get granted an interview late in the cycle depending on how many gw offers of admission are accepted. GW only rejects a small number of candidates post interview. They waitlist far more than the reject. Waitlist movement really does vary by year but a good amount of the class often comes from the alternate list.

But if the waitlist is so large, the chances of getting off for an individual applicant is probably slim....

Also got the "slim chance for further interview" email...
Sigh. I'll send in an update since I would prefer GW to my current acceptance.

In 2011 my friend got that same e-mail, selected for interview in late April, was wait-listed soon after, and was eventually accepted in July.

I'm definitely not holding my breath for an II at this point. That said, the chances definitely vary from year to year, and there's always hope; it ain't over till it's over people!

Good luck to the rest of ya'll in the waiting! I hope you've heard good news from other schools!

+5
I wonder how many of us are in this "maybe, maybe not" pile. Does anyone know if GW normally does this to applicants and if people have had luck getting these slim, possibly maybe interviews?

+6? or whatever number we're at now.. I was accepted at my state school, but this was one of my top choices because of my interest in global health and a dual degree.. anyone know what the chances are here and how many people are in this same place?

Has anyone been asked for a letter of good standing from GW after an interview? I can't imagine it's a bad thing, but I'm just wondering what generally has been the outcome after this request?

Can someone who went to second look elaborate on the day? Did they provide any new information? Any updates on the curriculum or more specifically how the exams would be set up?

+6? or whatever number we're at now.. I was accepted at my state school, but this was one of my top choices because of my interest in global health and a dual degree.. anyone know what the chances are here and how many people are in this same place?

+9 (by my count). It seems like alot of us are in this position. If you have other acceptances, please be courteous to those waiting for their first and withdraw, so that they have a better (albeit slim) chance.

Congrats!! Can I ask when you interviewed?
Thanks!!
Weird situation with interview stuff...I was originally scheduled to interview Feb. 14, but DC got that crazy winter snowstorm of like 10 inches overnight and they cancelled. So my interviews ended up being on two different days: Feb 27 was the faculty/admin staff one and March 20 was the one with the student!

I guess for timing purposes I wasn't "complete" in terms of interviews until March 20.

Second Look is tomorrow at noon! Get thee hence to Washington DC! Haha :)
right! I was looking for their second look day about a couple weeks ago and saw it was coming. Kept hoping I'd get an answer before then...guess I did! lol

Just how big is this alternate pool? It's looking more like an ocean...

Just how big is this alternate pool? It's looking more like an ocean...

I'm not sure if anybody really knows the answer to this (it's been asked many times in this thread and always seems to go unanswered). I looked back at last year's thread, too, and most numbers thrown around were guesses (anywhere from 200 to 800).

It does seem that most candidates are put in the alternate pool, and that there are few outright acceptances and rejections.

I'm still hoping for the best come mid-May.

I'm wondering if we will ever find out where we stand on the alternate list/if we have a realistic shot of being accepted before they start accepting people off the list. Does anyone know anything about this?

I'm wondering the same. Realistically it seems like the chances are slim but I remain cautiously optimistic. Is there any published number of what percent of the class comes from the WL?

Aw... Interviewed Mid March
Alternate List.
Surprisingly quick turnaround time, it hasn't even been a month!

Does anyone know if they pull people from the alternate list before May?

wow that is very surprisingly quick. I wonder if they don't go in order.
Has everyone who interviewed before March heard back already?

wow that is very surprisingly quick. I wonder if they don't go in order.
Has everyone who interviewed before March heard back already?

I interviewed 2/25 and was alternate listed about a week ago...

Does the admissions office or committee ever give any information on how full a class is? I'm thinking about calling just to figure out whether I should start working on re-applying....

It seems like GW is very cautious when it comes to giving out acceptances...at least from what it looks like on sdn.
Maybe that means better waitlist movement later?

It seems like GW is very cautious when it comes to giving out acceptances...at least from what it looks like on sdn.
Maybe that means better waitlist movement later?
I hope so. I see so many people waitlisted on these forums it scares me into thinking there are so many more qualified candidates on the WL that will get the first open spot

I hope so. I see so many people waitlisted on these forums it scares me into thinking there are so many more qualified candidates on the WL that will get the first open spot
If it makes you feel any better, GW "kicked" me off the waitlist today because I didn't fill out their form. Best of luck to all of you still waiting!

If it makes you feel any better, GW "kicked" me off the waitlist today because I didn't fill out their form. Best of luck to all of you still waiting!

Ditto! Decided I wouldn't attend GWU over my other acceptances. G'luck, everyone.

Thanks to both of you! I think I speak on behalf of many who feel that it is courteous to withdraw when you wouldn't matriculate anyway. Wish all current applicants shared this value but alas pre meds have big egos :(

When did you receive this form? I assume the students put on the WL earlier in the cycle were the only ones who received this form so far?

When did you receive this form? I assume the students put on the WL earlier in the cycle were the only ones who received this form so far?
I've received two, once around feb and the other beginning of march. I interviewed back in September so I think it was just to make sure I was (or wasn't) still interested

Thanks to both of you! I think I speak on behalf of many who feel that it is courteous to withdraw when you wouldn't matriculate anyway. Wish all current applicants shared this value but alas pre meds have big egos :(

In defense of students holding multiple acceptances late in the game, most schools have not yet sent out financial aid awards. Therefore, it has nothing to do with ego. It has to do with the practical matter of being able to compare the cost of School A to the cost of School B before making one's final decision. It's early April, with waitlist movement expected to begin in mid-May. Personally, my FAFSA and supplementary applications for financial aid were submitted in early February. Still, I haven't heard back about financial aid from most of my schools. They don't aim to complete the financial aid packages ASAP - They say "Oh, we send them out by the end of April." Trust me, if financial aid offices set earlier deadlines for themselves, I and many other applicants would be able to make a final decision and waitlist movement would happen a lot earlier.

So, no, our egos aren't inflated and we aren't selfish monsters. I hate that waitlisted applicants are hanging around with no acceptances, I really do, but my hands are tied.

Are you saying you're on the WL but didn't receive the "fill this out if you're still interested in us " form?

I was placed on the alternate list on April 1st, and then I received an email 4 days later on April 5th informing me that I was still an active member of the alternate pool. That same email requested I provide some updated personal information and a statement of interest/additional information via the status portal update feature by April 8th to remain under consideration.

alternate list. interviewed late march. man more waiting

alternate list. interviewed late march. man more waiting

I feel your pain. in the same sinking boat, survival chance seems not so great, but still there, riiiiiiiiiight?!

nothing betters my mental health/patience like the med school app cycle.

Are you saying you're on the WL but didn't receive the "fill this out if you're still interested in us " form?

I was placed on the alternate list on April 1st, and then I received an email 4 days later on April 5th informing me that I was still an active member of the alternate pool. That same email requested I provide some updated personal information and a statement of interest/additional information via the status portal update feature by April 8th to remain under consideration.
I was placed on the WL April 1, but I never received a second email about anything else....I did, however, send them an immediate letter of interest the same day I was placed on the WL, do you think this is why I didn't get a second email?

I was placed on the WL April 1, but I never received a second email about anything else....I did, however, send them an immediate letter of interest the same day I was placed on the WL, do you think this is why I didn't get a second email?

Sounds reasonable.

I'm wondering if we will ever find out where we stand on the alternate list/if we have a realistic shot of being accepted before they start accepting people off the list. Does anyone know anything about this?

From the information I've gleaned from SDN and the GW website, GWU won't tell you where you stand on the waitlist (just that its "fluid and organic"). I have read that past years, applicants on the waitlist that stand a good chance of getting in are told via email before May that they "are at the top of the waitlist". Although this year I don't know if anyone has heard that specifically.

According to the forum for 2013 alternate pool, people on the waitlist are called in the first two weeks of May and offered acceptance. I have no idea how large the pool is this year though or how many people have been accepted from it in previous years. Its really ambiguous, but seems like movement will occur at the beginning of May. So for now I'm just hoping for the best! Good luck! Hope that was somewhat helpful :)

Reactions: 1 users