2012-2013 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how the pre-matriculation program works? Do all accepted students get invited? What are the dates of this program? I tried looking online but couldn't find any info. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know how the pre-matriculation program works? +1

Do all accepted students get invited? I believe only a minority of students get invited

What are the dates of this program? I believe it's the month of June.

Members don't see this ad.

Just spoke to admissions, notification will come via email and then status change as before for anyone else who might be out of the country this summer. And she said the offers will go out as they become available, they're not necessarily holding out until after May 15.

I had to withdraw my acceptance yesterday. It was a tough decision. I really liked this school, and the people I met at the interview, including Dr. W-C. The new facilities look amazing. Hopefully this spot goes to one of you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for present students or those who applied before. Does anyone know if they accept non-English writing course in place of second English course (allowed at my school due to good SAT writing score). Second question: do they accept AP math ( given credit for AP Calculus I) so took only Calculus II. Is another Math course needed? Emailed the ad com but never got any response. TIA!

Question for present students or those who applied before. Does anyone know if they accept non-English writing course in place of second English course (allowed at my school due to good SAT writing score). Second question: do they accept AP math ( given credit for AP Calculus I) so took only Calculus II. Is another Math course needed? Emailed the ad com but never got any response. TIA!

1) Not likely (even if they say they will, relying on exceptions will always be to your disadvantage in Admissions; you don't want to be "that 'special' person")
2) Once again, don't try to be the exception. Do the coursework. Take Stats, not Calculus. You WILL need Stats in the new curriculum. It's going to be more heavily emphasized along w/ a much stronger epidemiologic focus.....

Take home point: Don't take shortcuts. No one else is, and if you try schools may begrudgingly accept your excuses on the front-end but the AdCom members are not bound by what the front desk says and if they perceive a weakness b/c you didn't meet those requirements, it's going to hurt you.

Hey music2doc,

Can you try and find some things about the new curriculum? I'm having a really hard time evaluating MCV b/c I have no clue what I'm getting myself into for the first 1.5-2 years of medical school. I'd like to know what a day/week schedule would look like and maybe even when we'd be expected to take step 1s and how long we'll have to study for it. Or, if you could get that ppt that Dr. Woods showed on 2nd look day, that'd be great too!

Fanks

Thanks, music2doc...will plan for the stat class...would they want to see it prior to application or before matriculation? Applying this June. How about psych writing class as substitute for their second required English class?

If we are on the waitlist, do we still fill out the NEED ACCESS forms? I have done FAFSA but not NEED ACCESS.

Hey music2doc,

Can you try and find some things about the new curriculum? I'm having a really hard time evaluating MCV b/c I have no clue what I'm getting myself into for the first 1.5-2 years of medical school. I'd like to know what a day/week schedule would look like and maybe even when we'd be expected to take step 1s and how long we'll have to study for it. Or, if you could get that ppt that Dr. Woods showed on 2nd look day, that'd be great too!

Fanks

I would email Dr. Wood for it I were you or email Dr. WC and she could probably obtain it. I expect you will have around 6 weeks for Step 1 and will take it at the end of your accelerated M2 year (i.e., around March/April). Your best bet is to contact Admissions and get info straight from the source. What are you comparing it to? What specific things are you wondering? I'm not sure that we will really know what a day in the life looks like until the Curriculum Office releases next year's schedule in June. However, you can call Admissions or even try to contact the Curriculum Office and see if they'll answer your questions directly. (I am not sure whether they will talk to you pre-matriculation.)

Thanks, music2doc...will plan for the stat class...would they want to see it prior to application or before matriculation? Applying this June. How about psych writing class as substitute for their second required English class?

Before matriculation is fine. Just list it in your courses to be taken. All I was saying is you don't want someone questioning your academic preparedness. They have plenty of other things to reject you for (potentially), so why add one more unnecessarily?

If we are on the waitlist, do we still fill out the NEED ACCESS forms? I have done FAFSA but not NEED ACCESS.

I wouldn't. Need Access costs like $30 to submit the first time. It's a ripoff, IMO, since most people aren't going to get scholarships at most schools (but I filled it out anyway). I think your deadline is like orientation day or something so just fill it out once admitted.

Does anyone know how much a publication will help to move up on the waitlist? Does a research publication hold much weight in the acceptance/waitlist decisions?

Does anyone know how much a publication will help to move up on the waitlist? Does a research publication hold much weight in the acceptance/waitlist decisions?

I believe your priority score dictates where you stand on the WL. If you're tied with some other applicants (as in your priority score is 2.55 and ten other applicants are 2.55), I could see a publication perhaps giving you a minor bump.

I believe your priority score dictates where you stand on the WL. If you're tied with some other applicants (as in your priority score is 2.55 and ten other applicants are 2.55), I could see a publication perhaps giving you a minor bump.

Cool, thanks! I'm really hoping to get in off of the waitlist here. I loved my visit to Richmond and the new building looks awesome! VCU is a great school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hmm...I tried to submit an update that listed a publication and a presentation, but the office personnel said that they do not take any updates into account. They said that the committee had closed for the year and that they weren't looking at any new submissions. Did you receive similar info?

Hmm...I tried to submit an update that listed a publication and a presentation, but the office personnel said that they do not take any updates into account. They said that the committee had closed for the year and that they weren't looking at any new submissions. Did you receive similar info?

That's interesting. The last time I tried updating, they told me that they only accept grades and publications as updates. But since I haven't heard back from them with my update, they probably aren't accepting any updates now.

They told me the same thing.

They told me the same thing.

That's frustrating. :(
Do you know if they will accept updates about spring grades? Probably not, since the committee has closed...but shouldn't there be a way for Dr. WC to take updates into account???

Updates are not accepted. Your priority score has already been established.

That's frustrating. :(
Do you know if they will accept updates about spring grades? Probably not, since the committee has closed...but shouldn't there be a way for Dr. WC to take updates into account???

No. If you are tied with another applicant for the last spot, this could make a difference but as I understand the process your priority score is set in stone and cannot be changed. Sorry.

Updates are not accepted. Your priority score has already been established.

No. If you are tied with another applicant for the last spot, this could make a difference but as I understand the process your priority score is set in stone and cannot be changed. Sorry.

That isn't totally true. I have been trying everything to move up on the waitlist. I e-mailed the school and I was able to send in an additional letter of recommendation. The stipulation to the letter making a difference was that it had to be from someone I knew long-term and someone who was able to vouch for my good characteristics. Although it was a long shot, you can move up on the list.

That isn't totally true. I have been trying everything to move up on the waitlist. I e-mailed the school and I was able to send in an additional letter of recommendation. The stipulation to the letter making a difference was that it had to be from someone I knew long-term and someone who was able to vouch for my good characteristics. Although it was a long shot, you can move up on the list.

I drove down to VCU recently to meet with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook and it does look like the priority scores are set.

Since I interviewed in early October, I have gotten one publication, an additional letter from a physician, ER volunteer every week and attended rounds every week in a clinical unit. Even if those things dont make a difference on my waitlist position, I hope it will make a difference for the next cycle.

Its been a tough/long year, but good things will come. I'm sure every applicant on this site is willing to take the necessary amount of steps to get into med school, but sometimes you just gotta take an extra step to show your commitment.

Goodluck!

http://studentdoctor.net/2009/08/good-things-come-to-those-who-are-waitlisted/

I was wondering, if one potentially wanted withdraw his acceptance from VCU, would it matter that he already sent all the materials they had asked for? Is there no binding contract that one has to matriculate at the school until orientation day?

Would it just be a matter of clicking the "withdraw" button on your application site? Or will they expect a formal letter of withdrawal?

I ask because there's a possibility that I might withdraw, not entirely sure yet, but I just want to know of the process beforehand.

Thanks! Good luck to everyone!

Somebody always has to be the exception.... :rolleyes: Hopefully that changes if (and before) you matriculate anywhere.

I drove down to VCU recently to meet with Dr. Whitehurst-Cook and it does look like the priority scores are set.

Since I interviewed in early October, I have gotten one publication, an additional letter from a physician, ER volunteer every week and attended rounds every week in a clinical unit. Even if those things dont make a difference on my waitlist position, I hope it will make a difference for the next cycle.

Its been a tough/long year, but good things will come. I'm sure every applicant on this site is willing to take the necessary amount of steps to get into med school, but sometimes you just gotta take an extra step to show your commitment.

Goodluck!

http://studentdoctor.net/2009/08/good-things-come-to-those-who-are-waitlisted/

Good to hear! Those are great things for next cycle and schools WILL care when you reapply. It simply doesn't mean much in terms of your current cycle.

I was wondering, if one potentially wanted withdraw his acceptance from VCU, would it matter that he already sent all the materials they had asked for? Is there no binding contract that one has to matriculate at the school until orientation day?

Would it just be a matter of clicking the "withdraw" button on your application site? Or will they expect a formal letter of withdrawal?

I ask because there's a possibility that I might withdraw, not entirely sure yet, but I just want to know of the process beforehand.

Thanks! Good luck to everyone!

No letter necessary. Click the withdraw button, etc. Of course, for the sake of not burning bridges, you might want to write an email to Admissions and/or your interviewer RE: your withdrawal (incl. thanking them for the opportunity and hoping to one day come back as a resident, etc. -- yeah, it's BS, but always good to leave your name in good standing even if they are unlikely to remember you).

Wow, it seems like admissions is changing things this year. When I interviewed 2 cycles ago they accepted significant updates like new letters of rec, publications and anything that works in your favor. I know I sent Dr. WC at least 2 update e-mails which they placed in my file....

I guess competition is getting tougher, or they just don't want to deal with updates anymore!

Wow, it seems like admissions is changing things this year. When I interviewed 2 cycles ago they accepted significant updates like new letters of rec, publications and anything that works in your favor. I know I sent Dr. WC at least 2 update e-mails which they placed in my file....
I guess competition is getting tougher, or they just don't want to deal with updates anymore!

I would guess the latter. Applications have risen every year. I think last year topped 7,000 IIRC. Who knows what it is at this year. BTW, congrats on being DONE with pre-clinical years as of Friday! (And good luck.)

Somebody always has to be the exception.... :rolleyes: Hopefully that changes if (and before) you matriculate anywhere.

I highly doubt I have much pull to be the "exception". I'm just saying what I was told by Dr. WC a month ago. I have no idea if it really changed my position or not, but I don't think it hurts to try. I'm not puffing my chest, I'm just saying to others to not give up.

Has there not been any movement on the waitlist, or has it all been offers made to non-"student doctor forum" people? any thoughts?

Has there not been any movement on the waitlist, or has it all been offers made to non-"student doctor forum" people? any thoughts?

Hey guys! Long time follower and first time poster here :)

I recently heard from Dr. W-C that the waitlist has unfortunately not started to move yet and that it's difficult to predict how much it will later. She also suggested always being ready with a plan B, so I'm planning to re-take the MCAT :/

Hey guys! Long time follower and first time poster here :)

I recently heard from Dr. W-C that the waitlist has unfortunately not started to move yet and that it's difficult to predict how much it will later. She also suggested always being ready with a plan B, so I'm planning to re-take the MCAT :/

Not to burst bubbles but I doubt it will move much. Wait lists have been moving slower and slower the past few years nationwide. The c/o 2017 Facebook group is 179, of which only 40 are from my class. That suggests 139 are M0s who are at least reasonably sure they'll be coming here. The class looks like it's probably about 70% full by the FB group. I would probably begin preparing to reapply if you are wait listed. If things turn out for the better, take it as a nice surprise but plan for the worst (hope for the best).

That's intense for this year if supposedly ~100 come off the wait list each year.

Not to burst bubbles but I doubt it will move much. Wait lists have been moving slower and slower the past few years nationwide. The c/o 2017 Facebook group is 179, of which only 40 are from my class. That suggests 139 are M0s who are at least reasonably sure they'll be coming here. The class looks like it's probably about 70% full by the FB group. I would probably begin preparing to reapply if you are wait listed. If things turn out for the better, take it as a nice surprise but plan for the worst (hope for the best).

I deactivated my fb acct so...make that 140!

so from now on, when the acceptances go out do the financial aid awards go out at the same time? It seems like this late in the game it may help people who are between schools...

so from now on, when the acceptances go out do the financial aid awards go out at the same time? It seems like this late in the game it may help people who are between schools...

If you're waitlisted somewhere and then accepted, I wouldn't expect much FinAid from that school. There's not a whole lot of reason to incentivize you to come to their school being as you were never a first-round pick to begin with and their next option is another alternative with virtually equal credentials as well. That said, I don't know. I would guess there is a slight delay due to FinAid being a separate office.

Does anyone know if VCU accepts a lot of VCU undergrad applicants? Anyone here a VCU undergrad that got accepted or rejected?

Does anyone know if VCU accepts a lot of VCU undergrad applicants? Anyone here a VCU undergrad that got accepted or rejected?

They take a fair number of their own but not that many. VCU UG is known for being a fairly weak UG and the med school (and really all of MCV), consequently, tends to distance itself from any real affiliation with the UG. Earlier in the year, we actually fought (and won) a bit of a fight over an attempt to basically wipe MCV's name from the campus (including our diplomas). The medical school and other MCV schools are pretty vehemently opposed to losing the MCV identity that makes up our roots.

So no, being a VCU student won't help you. It probably won't hurt you (much), but it's not likely to help you any either.

They take a fair number of their own but not that many. VCU UG is known for being a fairly weak UG and the med school (and really all of MCV), consequently, tends to distance itself from any real affiliation with the UG. Earlier in the year, we actually fought (and won) a bit of a fight over an attempt to basically wipe MCV's name from the campus (including our diplomas). The medical school and other MCV schools are pretty vehemently opposed to losing the MCV identity that makes up our roots.

So no, being a VCU student won't help you. It probably won't hurt you (much), but it's not likely to help you any either.

I'm confused about the name fight thing. Wouldn't the MCV name be different than the VCU name? MCV sounds more like a different school than VCU. So did the undergrad admin want it to be VCU but you guys want the distinction of MCV?

I'm confused about the name fight thing. Wouldn't the MCV name be different than the VCU name? MCV sounds more like a different school than VCU. So did the undergrad admin want it to be VCU but you guys want the distinction of MCV?

yeah he didn't make much sense. its not MCV anymore. its VCU School of Medicine.

Did anyone who filled out the alternate list form ever receive a status change that said they were placed on the waitlist?

yeah he didn't make much sense. its not MCV anymore. its VCU School of Medicine.

Sorry, I didn't really provide much background. So technically your statement that it's not MCV anymore is false. The name of the school by current Commonwealth of VA code is:

The VCU School of Medicine, Medical College of Virginia Health Sciences Division of Virginia Commonwealth University

...or VCU/MCV for short.

The Administration wanted to remove the MCV name from our diplomas as they have been trying to force a rebrand on the campus for a few years now. However, MCV students, faculty, staff, and administration are quite united in their vehement opposition to this rebrand. We won a battle to have the MCV name remain on the diplomas and it is now actually more prominent than before.

So yes, we wanted to keep the distinction of being MCV. VCU UG wants to the affiliation of MCV for obvious reasons. This has, perhaps, created some minor feelings of animosity amongst the MCV community, although for the most part we simply ignore VCU UG and simply appreciate access to such amenities as their awesome gym. They really are two entirely separate institutions that are simply joined together by state law.

This might be a stupid question but---how do you know you've committed to VCU? I filled out the Matriculation form, does that tell them I'm going to be attending there?

Well I'm not going to transfer now so i'm stuck with VCU. What stats should I aim for? I don't entirely agree with the notion that VCU undergrad is not that vigorous.

Well I'm not going to transfer now so i'm stuck with VCU. What stats should I aim for? I don't entirely agree with the notion that VCU undergrad is not that vigorous.

I think the word you were going for was "rigorous" ;) and it might be rigorous but that's not the impression I have gotten (at least not in terms of its reputation). My classmates from there, however, are quite smart and doing quite well.

I would say shoot to be a balanced 32 MCAT (10+ in all sections) with a 3.7 or better GPA. That will make you competitive at a wide variety of schools. MCV has a specific mission and that mission largely guides who they admit -- probably moreso than a lot of other schools. ECs are most important for MCV, which is why our numbers are lower than our peer institutions (i.e., other mid tier/top 50% medical schools).

Well everyone, with the fifteenth just a day away, I want to say good luck to everyone. While wait list movement has been scarce from what I have seen, I am hopeful some of at least will hear good news.

well everyone, with the fifteenth just a day away, i want to say good luck to everyone. While wait list movement has been scarce from what i have seen, i am hopeful some of at least will hear good news.

+1

This might be a stupid question but---how do you know you've committed to VCU? I filled out the Matriculation form, does that tell them I'm going to be attending there?

Bizzump

Hi everyone!!

Couple things...

- there is always wait list movement for every school. Please do not pay any attention to any SDN-prognosticator who is using "Facebook member numbers" as a barometer of what the final class profile will look like. Anyone giving advice to you here based on Facebook stats or what they think they know about the process is just not advice I would hold to heart.

- hope for the best, but continue to prepare yourself for your future, no matter what it holds. Myself, and countless students have been admitted from the wait list.

- finally, VCU undergrad is a fantastic institution. Almost all of the VCU alumni in our class is a super star in their own right. If you are a VCU alumnus, you will do great. And when others join the class, you will all be blown away as to how fantastic the alumni perform.

- please do your best to filter the advice you get from anyone. Do not let anyone crush your dreams. Nobody on SDN, and that includes myself, should be the voice in your head that pushes you towards or deviates you from your goals.

Good luck to everyone!!

I think the word you were going for was "rigorous" ;) and it might be rigorous but that's not the impression I have gotten (at least not in terms of its reputation). My classmates from there, however, are quite smart and doing quite well.

I would say shoot to be a balanced 32 MCAT (10+ in all sections) with a 3.7 or better GPA. That will make you competitive at a wide variety of schools. MCV has a specific mission and that mission largely guides who they admit -- probably moreso than a lot of other schools. ECs are most important for MCV, which is why our numbers are lower than our peer institutions (i.e., other mid tier/top 50% medical schools).

. Hopefully everything works out for the best...if it doesn't there is always EVMS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.