2012-2013 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem Based Learning/Team Based Learning

there may be other wordings for these TLA's but that's the general idea. I'm guessing that how much is lecture vs group work (and therefore optional/mandatory attendance) will shift from one class and professor to another, so I doubt they'll give any percentages.

At 2nd look they did say that attendance would be more important, but they avoided saying mandatory. We are required to have laptops to bring to class for quizzes and tests, and I think it's clear they will be expecting a large increase in attendance for the next year. If it is truly a lecture day, I don't think they will make you come to class, but hard to say how often that will be the case.

Hope this helps!

Did they say what a typical day would look like in terms of hours? I'm a non-trad with two kids and trying to decide if a curriculum with so much TBL will require me to be on campus much more than other schools...

Members don't see this ad.

Did they say what a typical day would look like in terms of hours? I'm a non-trad with two kids and trying to decide if a curriculum with so much TBL will require me to be on campus much more than other schools...

I would assume it's safe to say that the new curriculum will be more TBL styled, therefore requiring more on campus time due to mandatory lectures because TBL doesn't occur if nobody shows up to participate. I truly believe the new curriculum will help students retain information long-term to help them on STEP 1 and in the future. It seems they have spent a great deal of time designing the new curriculum (even designing the new building around it).

Problem Based Learning/Team Based Learning

there may be other wordings for these TLA's but that's the general idea. I'm guessing that how much is lecture vs group work (and therefore optional/mandatory attendance) will shift from one class and professor to another, so I doubt they'll give any percentages.

At 2nd look they did say that attendance would be more important, but they avoided saying mandatory. We are required to have laptops to bring to class for quizzes and tests, and I think it's clear they will be expecting a large increase in attendance for the next year. If it is truly a lecture day, I don't think they will make you come to class, but hard to say how often that will be the case.

Hope this helps!

Ahhh. I see. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
ATTN MCV Interviewees & Acceptees!

If you haven't responded to your initial Acceptance letter or checked your status online recently, please do so ASAP!

I just heard from an AdCom member that several of his/her accepted interviewees are STILL outstanding for their initial response to an acceptance letter/email/phone call. If you plan to go to another school, please let VCU/MCV SOM Admissions know that, so they can offer your seat to someone else. If you are waiting for aid or whatnot, it certainly makes sense to hold multiple acceptances, but you need to let them know your initial intention (i.e., to have your spot held). Ultimately, Admissions reserves the right to rescind the offer after 2 wks, but it sounds like they are being merciful and giving you extra time. Please return that mercy with courtesy for your fellow applicants and respond to offers promptly!

I would assume it's safe to say that the new curriculum will be more TBL styled, therefore requiring more on campus time due to mandatory lectures because TBL doesn't occur if nobody shows up to participate. I truly believe the new curriculum will help students retain information long-term to help them on STEP 1 and in the future. It seems they have spent a great deal of time designing the new curriculum (even designing the new building around it).

I actually spoke to someone about this.

The required sessions will usually be 8 am- noon, not sure if that's daily or what. There will only be about 20-30% lectures, the rest will be TBL and it seems that will be mandatory attendance (medical students who gave tour said mandatory, which, like someone else noted is basically what the admins were saying).

I'm not so sure about the new curriculum, to be honest. For what its worth though, it's the LCME that's mandating more TBL to ALL schools, not just VCU. I looked on PubMed for the evidence behind the effectiveness of TBL and it seems it has two points that seem interesting--

1) participation--everyone has to chip in or else it's not any good. ergo, mandatory attendance.
2) it really seems to benefit the lowest quartile of students more so than everybody.

The literature, I think the ones coming out of Wright State, stated that this form of education saves money because you can have a lot of people learning from one professor and from what I understood it banks on an initial quiz given at beginning of the class and then one given at the end of class to assess newly gained competency.

Honestly, this new curriculum, and the REQUIRED attendance is an ENORMOUS, huge turn off, especially if that's 4 hours of TBL every flippin' day. I learn a lot better on my own and I know not everyone is going to come prepped for TBL/everyone learns at a different pace; I don't want to hold someone else back or be held back by anyone else. Not to mention Duke tried it a few years ago and everyone there seemed to hate it. I'm kinda second guessing choosing VCU over UVA right now, to be honest...ugh.

The required sessions will usually be 8 am- noon, not sure if that's daily or what. There will only be about 20-30% lectures, the rest will be TBL and it seems that will be mandatory attendance (medical students who gave tour said mandatory, which, like someone else noted is basically what the admins were saying).

I'm not so sure about the new curriculum, to be honest. For what its worth though, it's the LCME that's mandating more TBL to ALL schools, not just VCU. I looked on PubMed for the evidence behind the effectiveness of TBL and it seems it has two points that seem interesting--

1) participation--everyone has to chip in or else it's not any good. ergo, mandatory attendance.
2) it really seems to benefit the lowest quartile of students more so than everybody.

The literature, I think the ones coming out of Wright State, stated that this form of education saves money because you can have a lot of people learning from one professor and from what I understood it banks on an initial quiz given at beginning of the class and then one given at the end of class to assess newly gained competency.

Honestly, this new curriculum, and the REQUIRED attendance is an ENORMOUS, huge turn off, especially if that's 4 hours of TBL every flippin' day. I learn a lot better on my own and I know not everyone is going to come prepped for TBL/everyone learns at a different pace; I don't want to hold someone else back or be held back by anyone else. Not to mention Duke tried it a few years ago and everyone there seemed to hate it. I'm kinda second guessing choosing VCU over UVA right now, to be honest...ugh.

Yeah, this is terrible. Everyone should withdraw lol.

I personally hate mandatory lectures and never ever show up prepared to group meetings but these TBLs will make learning more revolved around real life experiences and clinical situations. In a way that is a great thing and I'm sure will help students in clinical situations. Either way feel free to go to UVA, I'll try to miss you :love:

I could be mistaken, but isn't UVA team based learning as well?

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/education/medical-students/UMEd/nxgen/AdvancingCurriculum-page

Albeit, I'm not sure how much of TBL is incorporated into their curriculum. Matriculate to UVA instead of VCU if you don't like what VCU is offering. I think true TBL will benefit all parties involved.

addy, you're in a lucky position to chose between two great school! :) If I remember correctly, when UVA switched to its current/new curriculum, the first year class had a really rough time with it. Those patches were later smoothed over for the second year. I imagine VCU might experience some of the same difficulties, but the administration will be very receptive and open to this incoming class for feedback

everyone take a deep breath please!
We are 200 students and we will work it out together !! It might be kind of rough but I'm confident it will add some excitement to our school memories! My previous school was PBL and it wasn't good at all but at the end I know alot of people rocked on residency. They were matched to high competitive fields.

everyone take a deep breath please!
We are 200 students and we will work it out together !! It might be kind of rough but I'm confident it will add some excitement to our school memories! My previous school was PBL and it wasn't good at all but at the end I know alot of people rocked on residency. They were matched to high competitive fields.

This. You guys will get things worked out. They are actually quite responsive and you will have three students who will sit on the Curriculum Committee representing you. Additionally, the M2 curriculum reps will be sitting alongside your M1 reps and will be happy to help them get things done. The Administration knows the first yr with a new curriculum is going to be rocky and that they will need to make changes. Specific faculty have also been trying out aspects of the curriculum on us and the current M2s and, as a result, they have heard some of the complaints and begun to work out solutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone email Dr. WC recently and hear any news?

I emailed her on friday and she hasn't responded.

Guys....seriously?! I assume you're not accepted and hoping to get in? Just be patient. Emailing Dr. WC, calling Admissions, etc. is just plain annoying. It does nothing for your case (except annoy the people who are your best advocates). Just be patient. Seriously. Be patient. Relax. If no school has accepted you, start preparing to reapply NOW. Good luck.

^ Chill out brah, that's what this forum is for, anxious pre-medical students :)

^ Chill out brah, that's what this forum is for, anxious pre-medical students :)

That was actually solid advice. You're only shooting yourself in the foot by calling Dr. Dub-C. Comes off as annoying and entitled, like you personally deserve her time more than any other applicant. That being said, I heart Dr. Dub-C

It's easy for someone who has their choice acceptance or an acceptance or is in medical school to say chillax.

Guys....seriously?! I assume you're not accepted and hoping to get in? Just be patient. Emailing Dr. WC, calling Admissions, etc. is just plain annoying. It does nothing for your case (except annoy the people who are your best advocates). Just be patient. Seriously. Be patient. Relax. If no school has accepted you, start preparing to reapply NOW. Good luck.

VCU is the only school that I've applied to where letters of interest/intent are disallowed, so I feel no remorse in sending a very brief email. You were in our shoes a couple years ago; please be a little more understanding when dealing with a forum that is known for neuroticism.

Hey guys, is April 12th the date the waitlist is coming out or is it just the due date to fill the alternate form?

VCU is the only school that I've applied to where letters of interest/intent are disallowed, so I feel no remorse in sending a very brief email. You were in our shoes a couple years ago; please be a little more understanding when dealing with a forum that is known for neuroticism.

You're right, I was there a year ago. I understand where you are coming from; however, if you look back at my posts in the forum where I was waitlisted (as well as elsewhere), I said the same thing as I do now. Before med school, I worked with Admissions at my state school. I heard their complaints and I know the power those front desk people wield. (To put it short and sweet: they can't exactly get you in, but they sure as he** can keep you out!)

Dr. WC is amazing and I don't think she would ever take it out on you if you were annoying but that's all the more reason to be respectful of her time and other responsibilities. She has a lot on her plate. She is more than just the Dean of Admissions. (She is a clinical professor of Family Medicine, a practitioner with her own pt load, a Foundations of Clinical Medicine small group leader, a Project Heart small group leader, and probably quite a few other things of which I am not yet aware.) Mama Mack is involved in a number of things as well (e.g., Project Heart).

I am sure they both appreciate your desire to attend MCV, but the fact is your emails and phone calls are really more something to be handled rather than something for which to be grateful and move you up on the list. Your score has already been established. It's not going to change. As I understand, no one has the authority to make changes to that score and ultimately that score is what will determine if and when you get accepted (including your position on the wait list). There really is nothing more to be done besides wait and begin preparing to either attend another school (if accepted elsewhere) or to reapply (if not accepted elsewhere).

Do people come off the waitlist as spots open up, or do they basically wait until May 15 and then send out acceptances to fill all of the open spots that remain?

You're right, I was there a year ago. I understand where you are coming from; however, if you look back at my posts in the forum where I was waitlisted (as well as elsewhere), I said the same thing as I do now. Before med school, I worked with Admissions at my state school. I heard their complaints and I know the power those front desk people wield. (To put it short and sweet: they can't exactly get you in, but they sure as he** can keep you out!)

Dr. WC is amazing and I don't think she would ever take it out on you if you were annoying but that's all the more reason to be respectful of her time and other responsibilities. She has a lot on her plate. She is more than just the Dean of Admissions. (She is a clinical professor of Family Medicine, a practitioner with her own pt load, a Foundations of Clinical Medicine small group leader, a Project Heart small group leader, and probably quite a few other things of which I am not yet aware.) Mama Mack is involved in a number of things as well (e.g., Project Heart).

I am sure they both appreciate your desire to attend MCV, but the fact is your emails and phone calls are really more something to be handled rather than something for which to be grateful and move you up on the list. Your score has already been established. It's not going to change. As I understand, no one has the authority to make changes to that score and ultimately that score is what will determine if and when you get accepted (including your position on the wait list). There really is nothing more to be done besides wait and begin preparing to either attend another school (if accepted elsewhere) or to reapply (if not accepted elsewhere).

Wonderfully said.

At some schools, writing letters and staying in contact occasionally will help you out. VCU doesn't seem to be one of those schools because they give you a score and your outcome, whether you are accepted, rejected or waitlisted, comes from that score.

For other schools, if they have a ranked waitlist, also don't bother contacting them because nothing can improve your rank once it is given. Just relax and let time work its magic.

If the school does reevaluate apps with each open spot or on a specific date, then write updates as you deem fit. For me, that was once every 2 months because that was the time it took to get enough to write about. I even only wrote those letters for one school, specifically tying each activity or achievement back to their mission statement and working on each letter for two days. The final one I reworked for two weeks to make it sound like I wanted it to.

Best of luck to everyone, especially those in waitlist limbo.

Do people come off the waitlist as spots open up, or do they basically wait until May 15 and then send out acceptances to fill all of the open spots that remain?

I was wondering the same thing...

Just happened to be neurotically combing through last year's thread and people did get in off the wait list before the may 15 deadline...hopefully this is the case again this year.

Does anyone have pictures of the new building from second look? It seems like such a cool building but I've had trouble finding some pictures of it!

Does anyone have pictures of the new building from second look? It seems like such a cool building but I've had trouble finding some pictures of it!

There is a gentle man (cool one though) posted some photos on facebook page. check out there

This school has become my top choice. Any advice for those who received an acceptance in previous cycles? I'm instate!!

Also the MSAR says that the estimated class size will be 215. I read on VCU's medical school website that the new building will eventually allow for a capacity of 250 students. So my question is, does anyone know if 215 is the projected number for the 2013 class? Will it stay at 200 like the previous years? Or will they attempt to matriculate 250 students due to the new building?

I happened to come across this post, so for anyone still wondering, the latest update is that it is unlikely we class size will continue to increase beyond the ~210 they are looking at for this year. This is because our Administration is concerned that residency spots are becoming oversaturated AND because for the first time in our current dean's tenure, we had a match rate of <95%. Typical match rate for is 97-98%, our 94% this year (just above the nat'l avg of 93%) was a shocker. As a result, his administration is working to prevent that low of a match rate from ever occurring again.

This is actually an online virtual tour that I came across a few days ago randomly, but I cannot find it at the moment. Maybe someone else will come across it and post here....

This is actually an online virtual tour that I came across a few days ago randomly, but I cannot find it at the moment. Maybe someone else will come across it and post here....[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing a somewhat virtual tour when watching the video about the new curriculum. Although they wrote artist renderings and not actual pictures. I'd love to see what it looks like completed if anyone has pictures from second look or the link for a different virtual tour.

This is actually an online virtual tour that I came across a few days ago randomly, but I cannot find it at the moment. Maybe someone else will come across it and post here....

I remember seeing a somewhat virtual tour when watching the video about the new curriculum. Although they wrote artist renderings and not actual pictures. I'd love to see what it looks like completed if anyone has pictures from second look or the link for a different virtual tour.[/QUOTE]

I went to second look, but didn't take any good pictures of the new building. Here's the link with virtual pictures: http://wp.vcu.edu/c3curriculum/files/2012/11/Building-pictures2.pdf.

They look exactly like how the new building is laid out, except the lecture room looks even more impressive, along with the simulation rooms. The whole building is awesome, maybe someone else from second look will post pictures here. There's some over on the facebook group for the class of 2017.

I remember seeing a somewhat virtual tour when watching the video about the new curriculum. Although they wrote artist renderings and not actual pictures. I'd love to see what it looks like completed if anyone has pictures from second look or the link for a different virtual tour.

I went to second look, but didn't take any good pictures of the new building. Here's the link with virtual pictures: http://wp.vcu.edu/c3curriculum/files/2012/11/Building-pictures2.pdf.

They look exactly like how the new building is laid out, except the lecture room looks even more impressive, along with the simulation rooms. The whole building is awesome, maybe someone else from second look will post pictures here. There's some over on the facebook group for the class of 2017.[/QUOTE]

Those sketches ARE astonishingly close to how it actually looks! (Especially for the entryway and lobbies.) The auditorium is definitely a lot cooler than in that drawing.

Looks awesome! I particularly like the little people they've put in :)

Does anyone know what grade should we grade to satisfy the admission requirement?
ADCOM says maintain your GPA but my current GPA is pretty high and I honestly don't have any motivation to keep it high this semester :(:(:(
I was thinking about getting B+ or so... ! Risky or not ?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what grade should we grade to satisfy the admission requirement?
ADCOM says maintain your GPA but my current GPA is pretty high and I honestly don't have any motivation to keep it high this semester :(:(:(

Kiss med school good bye with a B+

Anyone know if the wait list started to move yet? By this time last year there were already a few acceptances.

Anyone know if the wait list started to move yet? By this time last year there were already a few acceptances.

Haven't heard anything yet. Tried to call admissions cuz I'm going out of the country until end of June and wanted to make sure I'd get the notification, but it went straight to voicemail...

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to those of you who have decided to come to MCV. After 4 years here, I can most definitely say that it was a great experience and am really excited for you guys. Also, I am extremely jealous of all of you that will be experiencing the brand new Medical Education Building. It is truly a sight. You have chosen a fine institution with wonderful people and will be getting a terrific education :)

That being said, since I'm a 4th year, all things have an end date :). I matched in CT and need to sell all my stuff! For those of you that are moving to Richmond, here are things I need to get rid of in the next 2 weeks:

Moving out sale! If anyone is looking for furniture, please message me or email me at [email protected]! Thanks!

1. full bed + mattress + frame- still in plastic and in fantastic condition!
2. Ikea chest of 3 drawers, fully assembled and absolutely in mint condition (only used to store light clothing in past year)
3. 3 shelf book shelf
4. Breakfast nook + 4 chairs
5. Ikea oak coffee table

Prices negotiable!

does VCU give out acceptances as withdrawals occur, or do they wait until May 15? Thanks

Does anyone know how the pre-matriculation program works? Do all accepted students get invited? What are the dates of this program? I tried looking online but couldn't find any info. Thanks in advance!

Basically don't let your GPA drop more than 0.5 from what they admitted you with. They're not going to rescind unless you REALLY screw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.