2012-2013 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that may be a good thing because a lot of people who have asked didn't get ANY reply back. Looking back on previous threads, if you were in a bad position, she would say something along the lines of, "I'm not sure, email me back in a few weeks," or something vague like that.

Thanks for the info! would you mind sharing which threads you looked at? from looking at last years thread i was under the impression that no reply was bad news while any reply (even the "I'm not sure check back with me later") was good news?

Members don't see this ad.

That's why it would be nice to know where we stand on the waitlist, especially when another school needs a deposit of $1000 by May 1. Oh well, I'll keep on hoping I get in off the waitlist!

Most people won't even withdraw till May 15 so only God knows

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its good news...although i wonder what it would feel like to be in a room full of accepted students while sitting on the WL

I hope so. But I would be secretly hating everyone in the room. Don't think I'm going to expose myself to that kind of bad karma. Plus it's way too much money to fly all the way out there for a WLer I think.

I came and checked the school out from Colorado. They will remember your name especially if you flew out from California.
You guys are thinking too much into all this. Prior to may even thinking about all this is a waste of time. I know it's easier said than done but all of you just have to be patient.

Most people won't even withdraw till May 15 so only God knows

Right. I'm saying, if I knew I was #10 on the WL, then I probably wouldn't put the money down because chances would be pretty high I get into VCU off the waitlist. VCU is my top choice.

Hey everyone! Long time lurker and first time poster. I emailed Dr. WHC a while back, asking her how I'm doing on the waiting list. She replied, "you're hanging in there." That's all she said in the reply. Any clue on what it might mean?

I would say, if anything, its positive. I emailed her last wednesday night (3/20) and haven't gotten a response...

When I called today, they told me they don't accept any updates and that our position on the waitlist is final.
I find it surprising that they wouldn't accept updates. Like, what if you got published or something? That wouldn't make them more likely to accept you off the waitlist? Hmm...

I find it surprising that they wouldn't accept updates. Like, what if you got published or something? That wouldn't make them more likely to accept you off the waitlist? Hmm...

You can contact them if you have substantial updates - basically only publications. They won't look at new activities.

Source: The dean said so during interview day. Plus, I updated them about my publication and they acknowledged it.

Straight from VCU's FAQ site on the School of Medicine Webpage: http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq.html

Does VCU accept update letters to applications for admission?

The only updates that we accept are grades from courses that were completed after an application was submitted and academic publication material that was published after an application was submitted. We do not accept letters of interest.

I have good news for individuals on the waitlist that were invited to second look.

I just received this email this morning:-
"Good Morning M1s and M2s!!
I hope everyones week is going well! As many of you are aware, 2nd look is next weekend, April 5-6. 2nd look is a little different this year than in the past because all accepted students and the top half of the waitlist have been invited this year. That includes a total of 65 URM students."

Don't lose hope!

Last edited:
I have good news for individuals on the waitlist that were invited to second look.

I hope everyones week is going well! As many of you are aware, 2nd look is next weekend, April 5-6. 2nd look is a little different this year than in the past because all accepted students and the top half of the waitlist have been invited this year. That includes a total of 65 URM students."

Don't lose hope!

Bad news for the rest of us who weren't invited.

Don't lose hope!

top half of both waitlists? In-state and out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, I was in top 1/2 of the WL (from what Dr. WHC told me), and I was not invited. Is it because I went to VCU for undergrad?

Guys, may as well calm down and wait if you're on the WL. It's a long ride but just stay patient. For those who are in, CONGRATS and go join the 2017 Facebook group! We look forward to meeting you all in the fall at the M1/M2 Buddy luncheon. Oh yeah, and also at 2nd Look.

No need to take everything literally guys. The good news is that people from the waitlist will be given a chance to go to second look and there's still hope for the waitlist. It's not the end, just need some patience.

It's sad that I cant attend.
Someone please report everything after second look.

Do abstracts count as publication material?

Straight from VCU's FAQ site on the School of Medicine Webpage: http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq.html

Does VCU accept update letters to applications for admission?

The only updates that we accept are grades from courses that were completed after an application was submitted and academic publication material that was published after an application was submitted. We do not accept letters of interest.

What percent of the final class composition is from the waitlist? Historically? I read that someone said top half of waitlist was invited to second look, how long is the waitlist? Please and thank you for replying

Last edited:
What percent of the final class composition is from the waitlist? Historically? I read that someone said top half of waitlist was invited to second look, how long is the waitlist? Please and thank you for replying

Basically, if they think you have a pretty good chance, they invited you to Second Look. If your chances are pretty poor (but they needed a buffer just in case), then you weren't invited. Think of it from their perspective. It's not that complicated. They don't know how many will come off the waitlist and it has been much fewer in recent years (esp. LAST year) on a national level. I would expect the competition to only intensify. If you're waitlisted and have no other acceptances, start working on your apps for June 1. If you get in, congrats!

Don't lose hope!

Hey guys, I emailed Dr. Whitehurst-Cook about this and received her reply over the weekend,

"XXX, We did not invite the top half but the top 50, evenly divided between in state and out of state. We usually make a 100 offers between now and orientation in Aug. I'm not sure who sent the email, but all numbers are way off. mwc"

hey guys, i emailed dr. Whitehurst-cook about this and received her reply over the weekend,

"xxx, we did not invite the top half but the top 50, evenly divided between in state and out of state. We usually make a 100 offers between now and orientation in aug. I'm not sure who sent the email, but all numbers are way off. Mwc"

<3

Do abstracts count as publication material?

If it's an abstract for a national conference then I would say that's publication material worth notifying them. If it's an abstract for a regional conference or your school symposium I would say no.

What they really mean as publication material I believe, is a true manuscript that has been submitted and published in an academic journal.

Hey guys, I emailed Dr. Whitehurst-Cook about this and received her reply over the weekend,

"XXX, We did not invite the top half but the top 50, evenly divided between in state and out of state. We usually make a 100 offers between now and orientation in Aug. I'm not sure who sent the email, but all numbers are way off. mwc"

That's great news.

Hi future VCU M1s,

Congrats on your acceptances! Sorry to bombard people with posts about housing, but I'm a current M2 looking for a roommate to move sometime between June and August.

About the house: Located at the corner of 26th and M in Church Hill, down the street from a brand new (excellent) bakery/coffee shop and across the street from one of Richmond's best restaurants. It's 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths. One of the bedrooms is giant, and the other two are smaller. For the past two years I've had two roommates, but the house really does better with 2 people living there and the landlord would prefer it to be that way. I currently live in one of the smaller rooms, and I'm thinking you could take the large room and we could split the second small room somehow. Downstairs is a living room, a spare room (any awesome ideas for it?) and a recently renovated kitchen. We also have a backyard with a porch and room to landscape if you like. Rent for two people is $645/month each.

About me: I'm a 27 year old guy. I'm okay with either men or women roommates (currently have both). I drink occasionally, and go out on weekends if I'm not too busy. I don't smoke. I like a clean kitchen, and am generally fairly neat, but I'm not necessarily obsessed with a clean house. Anyway, this is probably all irrelevant because I'll be too busy on rotations all year and on away rotation for 10 weeks or so while you have the house to yourself.

About the neighborhood: Like I mentioned above, there are places to go and things to see. I feel safe walking at night alone to the places I want to go. It's also really easy to get to school - there are three different busses that'll get you to campus in 8 minutes, walking takes about 20 minutes, and biking takes 10. I use my car about once or twice a week since most things you need are within walking distance.

If you're interested, don't hesitate to PM me with any questions you have. I'll try to be quick!
-Max

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about the grade requirement after acceptance? I'm taking a crazy class right now and am scared to get a D... do you think that's grounds for rescinding their acceptance?

Does anyone know anything about the grade requirement after acceptance? I'm taking a crazy class right now and am scared to get a D... do you think that's grounds for rescinding their acceptance?

It's best to call the admissions office and ask them. No one on this thread can give you an appropriate answer.

A D would be bad. I would never even want to get a C for fear of what would happen. I asked VCU during the interview what they would take and they said to aim for your cumulative GPA when applying. Another school told me to just shoot go for straight Bs and relax a little before school starts.

Don't lose hope!

I'm an M2 and never received this e-mail, unless it was sent out to only some M1s and M2s belonging to a certain student organization. Seems a little weird to me either way. I'm glad WHC cleared it up for you guys. I was going to say that I was never invited to 2nd look but was offered an acceptance off the waitlist either on May 15th or the day right after which means I was pretty high up on that waitlist but never offered 2nd look.
Looks like they're doing things differently this year, but don't loose hope guys!

Great news, too bad I can't make second look. Hopefully some kind soul will post all about it next week...

I'm an M2 and never received this e-mail, unless it was sent out to only some M1s and M2s belonging to a certain student organization. Seems a little weird to me either way. I'm glad WHC cleared it up for you guys. I was going to say that I was never invited to 2nd look but was offered an acceptance off the waitlist either on May 15th or the day right after which means I was pretty high up on that waitlist but never offered 2nd look.
Looks like they're doing things differently this year, but don't loose hope guys!

Email was sent out from one of your classmates basically from the SNMA.

For Those of you going to second look: did you receive confirmation after RSVPing on the link? Thanks!

Earlier today I received the detailed schedule for the day- if you haven't received that (and were invited!) then I'd give admissions a call to double check they have you down. I'd think at worst they just wouldn't have your size T-shirt, as most of the rest is taking tours/listening where one extra person is not likely to be a game changer.

Does VCU allow additional Letters of Recommendation?

Can anyone who attended the second look event comment on what they said about the new curriculum?

Is it true their new curriculum will be largely PBL/TBL curriculum with mandatory attendance?

can anyone who attended the second look event comment on what they said about the new curriculum?

Is it true their new curriculum will be largely pbl/tbl curriculum with mandatory attendance?

+1

Can anyone who attended the second look event comment on what they said about the new curriculum?

Is it true their new curriculum will be largely PBL/TBL curriculum with mandatory attendance?

Yes that seems correct. The new building is designed around the new curriculum, it has lots of group work spaces. I would imagine the core lectures will still be recorded though, but they mentioned they want their students to work through the info instead of listening to someone speak. They had a nice powerpoint explaining everything, maybe you can ask them for a copy via email!

can anyone who attended the second look event comment on what they said about the new curriculum?

Is it true their new curriculum will be largely pbl/tbl curriculum with mandatory attendance?

pbl/tbl?

Problem Based Learning/Team Based Learning

there may be other wordings for these TLA's but that's the general idea. I'm guessing that how much is lecture vs group work (and therefore optional/mandatory attendance) will shift from one class and professor to another, so I doubt they'll give any percentages.

At 2nd look they did say that attendance would be more important, but they avoided saying mandatory. We are required to have laptops to bring to class for quizzes and tests, and I think it's clear they will be expecting a large increase in attendance for the next year. If it is truly a lecture day, I don't think they will make you come to class, but hard to say how often that will be the case.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.