2012-2013 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a tough decision, but I just rescinded my acceptance. I was OOS, interviewed late Feb. (Note: I wasn't invited to Second Look). Hopefully my acceptance goes to one of you! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Posting to add another number to that waitlist acceptance tally after being off to celebrate the long weekend. Accepted off the wailist on 5/24 at 3:15 PM PST. I'm super stoked because VCU was definitely my first choice.

If it helps to know, I'm OOS (from CA), interviewed the first week of January, wasn't invited to second look, and am a non-traditional applicant.

Withdrew my application for the second time, lol. Hope my acceptance goes to one of you fine fellows!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm posting again. Trying to find a roommate still!! You can stalk my Facebook as much as you want (I swear I'm not crazy or weird). Just a normal girl from LA, who likes to play tennis, bake, run and play candy crush :p

I have my eyes set on a 2bed/2bath place that is less than half a mile from campus (8mins walking). But if you don't like it, we can pick another place. I am super easy-going! Anyway, PM me!

I guess I'm posting again. Trying to find a roommate still!! You can stalk my Facebook as much as you want (I swear I'm not crazy or weird). Just a normal girl from LA, who likes to play tennis, bake, run and play candy crush :p

I have my eyes set on a 2bed/2bath place that is less than half a mile from campus (8mins walking). But if you don't like it, we can pick another place. I am super easy-going! Anyway, PM me!

We should play tennis together when the year starts!!!!

Hey everyone. Does anyone know how long it will take until I get my letter in the mail after a decisioin has been made? They said that the decision was made on Friday so I dont know what's taking them so long. I've been waiting sinch March :mad:

about to withdraw my acceptance here. loved my time here, but just got into my state school!

Hi, does anyone know where we can find the academic calendar? When are orientation and the first day of classes? Thanks in advance!

Hi, does anyone know where we can find the academic calendar? When are orientation and the first day of classes? Thanks in advance!

It's on the orientation website. Orientation- week of august 5th. then something called FCM prep week or something the following week, then classes start week of august 19th

Hi future VCU M1s,

I'm a current rising M3 looking for a roommate. I posted this a few months ago and got a response from a few people. Well, I had someone lined up and he ended up withdrawing his acceptance, so I'm looking for a roommate again.

About the house: Located at the corner of 26th and M in Church Hill, down the street from a brand new (excellent) bakery/coffee shop and across the street from one of Richmond's best restaurants. It's 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths. One of the bedrooms is giant, and the other two are smaller. For the past two years I've had two roommates, but the house really does better with 2 people living there and the landlord would prefer it to be that way. I currently live in one of the smaller rooms, and I'm thinking you could take the large room and we could split the second small room somehow or vice versa. Downstairs is a living room, a spare room (any awesome ideas for it?) and a recently renovated kitchen. We also have a backyard with a porch and room to landscape if you like. Rent for two people is $645/month each.

About me: I'm a 27 year old guy. Originally from Arlington. I'm okay with either men or women roommates (currently have both). I drink occasionally, and go out on weekends if I'm not too busy. I don't smoke. I like a clean kitchen, and am generally fairly neat, but I'm not necessarily obsessed with a clean house. Anyway, this is probably all irrelevant because I'll be too busy on rotations all year and on away rotation for 10 weeks or so while you have the house to yourself.

About the neighborhood: Like I mentioned above, there are places to go and things to see. I feel safe walking at night alone to the places I want to go. It's also really easy to get to school - there are three different busses that'll get you to campus in 8 minutes, walking takes about 20 minutes, and biking takes 10. I use my car about once or twice a week to get to places other than campus since most things you need are within walking distance.

If you're interested, don't hesitate to PM me with any questions you have. I'll try to be quick!
-Max

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been about 2 weeks since someone posted an acceptance. I wonder if VCU hands them out in batches.

It's on the orientation website. Orientation- week of august 5th. then something called FCM prep week or something the following week, then classes start week of august 19th

Thank you!

Just wanted to let you all know that I got off the waitlist TODAY!!!! so there is hope! From NC...traditional applicant...wasn't invited to second look! Good luck to all who are waiting!

Anyone know what that week of FCM before school starting is going to be all about?

Just wondering, for those who got off the wait list, did you send updates and letters of interest, or did you just accept your spot on the wait list and then let things be?

FCM is the Fundamentals of Clinical Medicine which is one of the longitudinal courses so my best guess would be that we will be spending a lot of time in the Simulation Centers and learning how to perform basic duties of a physician and so forth

FCM is the Fundamentals of Clinical Medicine which is one of the longitudinal courses so my best guess would be that we will be spending a lot of time in the Simulation Centers and learning how to perform basic duties of a physician and so forth

Yes on the FCM = Foundations part, but I wouldn't expect much simulation. The FCM boot camp will probably cover BLS fundamentals and a demo of one ACLS skill (advanced airway mgmt) like it did for us along with, perhaps, vitals. I wouldn't expect to get into any history taking or physical exams, though. (You will be learning to take an H&P over the course of the year, though, and there will be occasional use of simulators, although most of it M1 year is done with standardized patients because the focus is largely on getting a good history for the first semester and then fundamentals of a physical the second semester.)

It's been about 2 weeks since someone posted an acceptance. I wonder if VCU hands them out in batches.

I withdrew my acceptance earlier this month after being accepted at an in state school. I loved everything about the school but in the end wanted to be close to family. Hope the spot goes to one of you. Best of luck!

Just wondering, for those who got off the wait list, did you send updates and letters of interest, or did you just accept your spot on the wait list and then let things be?

I'm wondering this too, and I'm still on the waitlist. I sent an LOI in early April, and two messages since May 15 to re-iterate my interest...don't want to spam, but really want to go here and start this fall. I'm not in anywhere else...it's mid-June and I'm on my last threads of hope...thoughts anyone?

I'm wondering this too, and I'm still on the waitlist. I sent an LOI in early April, and two messages since May 15 to re-iterate my interest...don't want to spam, but really want to go here and start this fall. I'm not in anywhere else...it's mid-June and I'm on my last threads of hope...thoughts anyone?

I know online it says that VCU does not accept any LOI. I didn't know that until after I had already sent mine in. I have sent updates to the school along with my LOI, but I too am waitlisted still. I'm wondering if I blew the interview because I interviewed very early in the cycle.

What kind of response did you get to those two messages? Dr. W-C told me to contact them again in mid-June if I hadn't heard back, so I assumed they would give me some sort of idea on where I stand....?

What kind of response did you get to those two messages? Dr. W-C told me to contact them again in mid-June if I hadn't heard back, so I assumed they would give me some sort of idea on where I stand....?

Did she say that after you sent in a LOI?

I got a "thank you for your sincere note"...although I was pleased by this because it meant that she read it, I wouldn't have expected any more response than that, especially given the sensitivities of the application process and particularly this part of it.

Regardless, I am praying for more waitlist movement. Any projections on whether there will be more? If anyone catches wind of it, please post!

I got a "thank you for your sincere note"...although I was pleased by this because it meant that she read it, I wouldn't have expected any more response than that, especially given the sensitivities of the application process and particularly this part of it.

Regardless, I am praying for more waitlist movement. Any projections on whether there will be more? If anyone catches wind of it, please post!

I had about the same response. Just a thank you for your continued interest in our school type thing. Nothing more. I know how busy they are and how many people are trying to get in. It's a lot just to get a response at all.

Just keep being patient, y'all. They're working on getting as many of you in as they can. Last year, our last acceptance went out around 2:30pm the first day of Orientation (mid-way through roll call -- supposedly happens fairly often). Just keep holding on to hope. Good luck all.

"Just wondering, for those who got off the wait list, did you send updates and letters of interest, or did you just accept your spot on the wait list and then let things be?"

To piggy-back off this question, I've been wait-listed since March. I haven't sent in a LOI or any updates. However it's mid-June now.. :( I'm thinking of emailing Dr. W-C, any suggestions on what to say or if this would be wise? I'd like to inquire about my status and express that I am still very much interested. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, she doesn't mind receiving emails from applicants wondering about their statuses. Just keep the email short and to the point.

Yes, she doesn't mind receiving emails from applicants wondering about their statuses. Just keep the email short and to the point.

This seems reasonable. I think the bolded is key. Your priority level won't change, but she certainly won't mind assuaging your fears. At best, it might move you to the front of the line at your priority level. In the unlikely case that they end up making it halfway through your specific priority level before fall classes begin and stop in the middle of your specific level, this could benefit you because you were picked off the list before the next person at your level.

Time to restart this thread! I applied! I'm a Maryland resident but went to school in VA and love the holistic approach this school takes. I was kind of worried because this is one of the few schools that pre-screens before secondaries, but it seems like they only screen out people below a 3.0. Anyone know if they screen based on MCATs as well? Still waiting for my scores....:scared:

Post that in the 2013-2014 thread...im not sure on their screening process

Just got accepted!! OOS. Don't give up hope those who are still waiting.

Congratulations! That's great news. The IS list will probably remain stagnant though.

anyone get any money from vcu?

Yes, a little. They sent me an e-mail yesterday stating that my award was ready and how to find it through the MyVCU portal. I thought it'd just be the loans, but there was a scholarship as well, even though the e-mail didn't mention it. I didn't have to apply for one other than the Need Access and FAFSA. Hope others receive good news.

advantages/disadvantages of INOVA campus anyone? community hospital so probably not too strong in specialities?

advantages/disadvantages of INOVA campus anyone? community hospital so probably not too strong in specialities?

It's a major teaching hospital and is the #2 system in the state, so I would say it does quite well in specialties. (#1 is MCVH/VCUHS and #3 is UVa HS).

Status
Not open for further replies.