2012-2013 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone hear any news today?

Members don't see this ad.

I was waiting for 6:34pm EST because that was the time I got the last email. But alas, there's no new email from VCU.

Nothing? Really?What does this mean---no waitlist movement??

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I find it hard to believe a school that usually takes around 100 from the wait list to go to zero. I understand there is less and less movement with increasing apps and competition, but to go to zero seems odd. Still holding out hope for all of us though.

Technically everyone has until the end of today to decide, right? So being optimistic, maybe they are waiting until at least tomorrow to begin sending out the waitlist invites. I too find it weird that no one has gotten in off of the waitlist.

A lot of people will get off the waitlist guys just be patient. There's no need to speculate about anything. Waitlist movement will occur when the school is ready and that should be anytime very soon.

I called admissions. They said there has been movement on the wait list but offers won't go out until next week.

bless the person who called! and good luck to us all

bless the person who called! and good luck to us all

withdrew yesterday. Hopefully another fmstat hopeful/caring for underserved type of person gets it. Just relax regarding waitlist, and DO START the reapplication and filling out amcas.... I got a call today from a school I totally gave up on, who offered a seat.

I would guess the latter. Applications have risen every year. I think last year topped 7,000 IIRC. Who knows what it is at this year. BTW, congrats on being DONE with pre-clinical years as of Friday! (And good luck.)

Thanks! So ready be in the hospital and doing things instead of sitting on my butt being talked at everyday. Just that little test they call Step 1 in my way....:cry:

Just withdrew my application. Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I just signed up for my e-mail access and the eID stuff and just wanted to give you a head's up-- when I went through the process my account got locked (couldn't login after password change), not sure why it happens; if this happens to you just call the help desk 804 828 2227 and then press 1 to talk to someone in computing, they'll unlock your account and take care of it.

I noticed that people were able to find out what % they were on the waitlist (e.g. top 15%) last year. Has anyone tried to find that out this year?

just got off the waitlist today guys so hope more of you hear back soon!! it was via email

Congratulations to all who got accepted off the wait list! Do you guys mind sharing your stats?

Congratulations to everyone who got off the waitlist. Does anyone know if they are planning on sending out any more anytime soon?

For those interested: I browsed the past several years of this thread on SDN, and here are all the dates when a waitlisted VCU SDN applicant posted getting an acceptance notification from VCU AFTER May 15 (note: obviously SDN is NOT an ideal/accurate/representative barometer, so take this for what it is - which isn't much):

2012-13: 5/19 (x2)
2011-12: 5/15 (x10), 5/22 (x3), 6/1 (x4), 6/12 (x4), 7/26
2010-11: 5/17 (x2), 5/18, 5/24, 5/26 (x5), 5/28, 6/28, 7/14, 8/8
2009-10: 5/19 (x7), 5/28 (x2), 6/7, 6/8, 6/23, 6/24 (x2), 8/5

Accepted today.

+1...super excited. Non trad, 31 yo, two kids, 33q. Dont remember my GPA but it isn't very good except I have a 4.0 post bac for all my pre reqs although that's from community colleges mostly. Good luck guys, waiting is horrible.

+1...super excited. Non trad, 31 yo, two kids, 33q. Dont remember my GPA but it isn't very good except I have a 4.0 post bac for all my pre reqs although that's from community colleges mostly. Good luck guys, waiting is horrible.

Congrats!

:thumbup: Congrats!

Congratulations!

I withdrew my acceptance because I decided to stay close to home... so that spot will go to someone soon hopefully! great school! was definitely a tough choice!

Anyone OOS get in yet, after May 15?

The thread has been so quiet. I am OOS and have not heard back. But I also wasn't one of the 25 to go to second look. It would be interesting how many of the 50 total IS and OOS invited to second look have been accepted off the waitlist.

The thread has been so quiet. I am OOS and have not heard back. But I also wasn't one of the 25 to go to second look. It would be interesting how many of the 50 total IS and OOS invited to second look have been accepted off the waitlist.

And it would be interesting to see how many of those invited actually accept... I'm IS and was not invited to second look either. Dr. W-C told me to contact the office if I still haven't heard back by mid-June. The OOS list definitely moves faster, though, so be encouraged by that!

I'm OOS and was invited to (and attended) second look and have not heard anything yet. One of the IS wait listers I met at second look got taken off the wait list a couple days ago so maybe there is a difference there.

I'm OOS and was invited to (and attended) second look and have not heard anything yet. One of the IS wait listers I met at second look got taken off the wait list a couple days ago so maybe there is a difference there.

Hmm....that is very interesting. It does look like maybe the wait-lists aren't moving as much as past years. It's hard to see 100 people coming off the wait-list if the top 25 haven't heard back yet. Or am I jumping the gun?

hi guys i am OOS and i was invited to second look but was not able to attend and was offered a spot... I think there is more movement in the OOS wait list from what I've heard so hope some of you hear back soon!! Some of my friends heard in June last year!

hi guys i am OOS and i was invited to second look but was not able to attend and was offered a spot... I think there is more movement in the OOS wait list from what I've heard so hope some of you hear back soon!! Some of my friends heard in June last year!

didn't attend and was offered a spot. Haha maybe I shouldn't have gone then...

Just wanted to let all those who are attending in Fall 2013 known--

M1 exam schedule and 2013-14 academic schedule has been posted in the orientation website

Just wanted to let all those who are attending in Fall 2013 known--

M1 exam schedule and 2013-14 academic schedule has been posted in the orientation website

ACCEPTED! Interviewed end of February, OOS.

Accepted off waitlist just now even though I already withdrew..... awkward

Anyone know how many second look individuals have gotten offers? Most? or just a few?

Accepted off waitlist just now even though I already withdrew..... awkward

Yeah, same here. Interviewed in Dec, OOS. Guess I will e-mail them..

edit-- I was not invited to second look

Last edited:
Anyone (preferably a girl) still need a roommate??
I'm looking to get a place soon, before all the good apartments are taken. I'm from SoCal, super easy going and quite clean.
PM me!

Accepted off the waistlist Friday night, May 24th. Was in tears bawling before a baseball game.

OOS, quasi non-trad (been working three years), interviewed second to last week in interview season, not invited to second look.

I wonder if that means they've gone through the top 25 of OOS. Either way, congrats on the acceptance NOLA2UNC!

First off, ditto on the congratulations! Second I am really confused now. I was invited to second look so i would assume I was in the top 25/50 or whatever it is. But I still haven't heard anything...

First off, ditto on the congratulations! Second I am really confused now. I was invited to second look so i would assume I was in the top 25/50 or whatever it is. But I still haven't heard anything...

I too am confused. I thought the same thing, and it makes sense, that those invited to second look were invited because it was an almost guarantee that they would be coming off the wait-list. One post said that the top 50 were taken, 25 IS and 25 OOS. This just adds to the mystery like those 2 from last week who were accepted after withdrawing from the wait-list.

I too am confused. I thought the same thing, and it makes sense, that those invited to second look were invited because it was an almost guarantee that they would be coming off the wait-list. One post said that the top 50 were taken, 25 IS and 25 OOS. This just adds to the mystery like those 2 from last week who were accepted after withdrawing from the wait-list.

Could it be that there is a slight allowance for re-arrangement of the waitlist based on applicant type? Maybe if a non-trad applicant drops, they'd prefer to fill that spot with another non-trad student. Or other factors like gender/minority/state of origin? Also, I think the acceptance after withdrawing is just a problem with their website...

Could it be that there is a slight allowance for re-arrangement of the waitlist based on applicant type? Maybe if a non-trad applicant drops, they'd prefer to fill that spot with another non-trad student. Or other factors like gender/minority/state of origin? Also, I think the acceptance after withdrawing is just a problem with their website...

That's a good point. I didn't get invited to second look so I'm not crossing my fingers too tight, but I think you have a really good point. They just made it seem like it was a one person drops and the #1 person gets accepted....etc.

Guys the fact of the matter is Dr. Whitehurst-Cook, the associate dean can accept whoever she pleases off the waitlist. Don't think too much into this. Even if you are in the bottom half of the waitlist or think you are do not lose faith because the associate dean has the power to very easily accept you and she might even do it some time soon.

Thinking too much into this process is a waste of time. No one on this forum has any idea of who will get off the waitlist or the arrangement of acceptances, the only ones that know are Dr. Whitehurst-Cook herself and maybe some not all of the admissions staff members.

I would urge that you remain patient and optimistic instead of figuring out this process.

I agree with the above. It's not worth figuring out.... Be optimistic and have fun this summer. If you don't have any acceptances already, start reapplying.

Guys the fact of the matter is Dr. Whitehurst-Cook, the associate dean can accept whoever she pleases off the waitlist. Don't think too much into this. Even if you are in the bottom half of the waitlist or think you are do not lose faith because the associate dean has the power to very easily accept you and she might even do it some time soon.

Thinking too much into this process is a waste of time. No one on this forum has any idea of who will get off the waitlist or the arrangement of acceptances, the only ones that know are Dr. Whitehurst-Cook herself and maybe some not all of the admissions staff members.

I would urge that you remain patient and optimistic instead of figuring out this process.

Eh, I think people are still patient and optimistic here... I was just speculating as to why the waitlist is not moving in the manner one might expect. As Jefe5 said, the pattern is odd considering that during the interview day, they described the applicant ranking/score system to be pretty set in stone. Clearly, that's not the case. I completely agree that admissions can be hard to predict! But, on the other hand, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's completely random and that speculating is a "waste of time."

Anyway, good luck to all on the WL. I'm sure there will be many acceptances yet to come!

Eh, I think people are still patient and optimistic here... I was just speculating as to why the waitlist is not moving in the manner one might expect. As Jefe5 said, the pattern is odd considering that during the interview day, they described the applicant ranking/score system to be pretty set in stone. Clearly, that's not the case. I completely agree that admissions can be hard to predict! But, on the other hand, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's completely random and that speculating is a "waste of time."

Anyway, good luck to all on the WL. I'm sure there will be many acceptances yet to come!

I am by no means trying to say it's "random". All I'm saying is that the selection is made through select few in the admissions office so trying to predict their next move is a waste of time especially since it's summer and you could be doing something fun instead :p

Status
Not open for further replies.