2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever day Coffeehouse is would be the day worth coming to. I don't know what day that is yet though :D

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have an opinion on Revisit in NYC versus the one in San Francisco? I think my choice is going to come down to Columbia versus Mount Sinai so it makes the most sense to go to the full second looks but I had already made plans for Johns Hopkins, which is the same weekend (they already bought my plane ticket). Just want to explore this option before I withdraw from Hopkins.

To clarify, Columbia is having a second look in San Francisco (I live in the Bay Area) on April the 27th for West-Coasters who can't make it out.

Last edited:
Anyone have an opinion on Revisit in NYC versus the one in San Francisco? I think my choice is going to come down to Columbia versus Mount Sinai so it makes the most sense to go to the full second looks but I had already made plans for Johns Hopkins, which is the same weekend (they already bought my plane ticket). Just want to explore this option before I withdraw from Hopkins.

To clarify, Columbia is having a second look in San Francisco (I live in the Bay Area) on April the 27th for West-Coasters who can't make it out.

Well, I would imagine at the SF one you wouldn't be able to meet current students and potential classmates. So, I guess you wouldn't be able to get as much information. Also, between Sinai and Columbia, the difference might be about what feels right and where you fit in. I don't think the SF revisit will be able to convey that accurately. I think a big part of revisit is actually seeing how current students operate and if you can see yourself being happy in the same situation. However, if most of your questions are more technical (curriculum, housing, financial aid, ect.) then the SF one would probably be ok.

Personally, I know how you feel. The 12-13 is such a popular date for revisit! I'm having the same trouble. My advice is if you are truly not considering a place it would be better to not go and go to the schools you are actually considering. You never know maybe something you learn will put you off completely or make you fall in love. The schools probably have a deal with the airlines and will end up saving money that way too. Plus, someone who might actually go to the school will get the opportunity to visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
On interview day we were told that starting this year the students will receive iPads.

On interview day we were told that starting this year the students will receive iPads.

You're joking right? Are you thinking of Cornell?

I hope you're right though because I was going to buy one anyways.

Do Columbia students get iPads for class?

There are Ipads for use in the anatomy lab but I wouldn't take talk about "free Ipads" (meaning they are actually part of your tuition and called free) in account when you consider schools including ours. However, you do get actually free litmann 3 cardiology stethoscopes, donated personally by an alumnus to you.

This is news to me regarding Ipads, but I'll look into it.

To be clear, I don't know if it was a "giveaway" or a requirement. HH told me that this year was the first in which students would receive iPads.

To be clear, I don't know if it was a "giveaway" or a requirement. HH told me that this year was the first in which students would receive iPads.

Well if HH said it, that settles it for me. I guess I won't have to pay for it out of pocket. At least if they factor it into the loans I won't notice it as much- don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I hope they do like Cornell and preload all of the iPads with the books that we are going to need.

Well, I'm not sure lol. Remember a while back she also told me the interview pool was being reduced to 600. Not to disrespect, but there's room for doubt.

how many of you guys who were waitlisted got personalized notes at the bottom of your letter?

i dont really understand how they pick people off the waitlist if it is unranked... can anybody shed some light on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
no personalization on mine. I received a personalized note from the dean in january however.

I just got a little "I enjoyed meeting you" note and the cross out of the last name. Not sure how significant it is. I can't imagine it's entirely unranked... they must just have a pool of applicants they consider more highly than others. There's just no way they reconsider all 600 applicants whenever they reconvene.

Can any current students speak towards the best strategy to experience the school outside of second look? Basically, I have already made travel arrangements for another second look that same weekend, but I will be in NY April 3rd to April 14. Is there something that can be arranged so I can do some of the activities (participate in special interests workshop, meet students/faculty, etc) while there? Who should I contact?

I know there's a second look in SF on April 27th, but that's the same day as UCSF.

Any advice would much be appreciated because I think it will come down to Sinai and Columbia for me (though I am open, hence still going to other looks) so I want to make sure I get the best comparison.

Well if HH said it, that settles it for me. I guess I won't have to pay for it out of pocket. At least if they factor it into the loans I won't notice it as much- don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I hope they do like Cornell and preload all of the iPads with the books that we are going to need.

She also may be speaking in the context of the group of students that she is involved with. For example, they used to (and may still, IDK) give BALSO students free first aid for step 1 books.

Can any current students speak towards the best strategy to experience the school outside of second look? Basically, I have already made travel arrangements for another second look that same weekend, but I will be in NY April 3rd to April 14. Is there something that can be arranged so I can do some of the activities (participate in special interests workshop, meet students/faculty, etc) while there? Who should I contact?

I know there's a second look in SF on April 27th, but that's the same day as UCSF.

Any advice would much be appreciated because I think it will come down to Sinai and Columbia for me (though I am open, hence still going to other looks) so I want to make sure I get the best comparison.

You can always come hang out on another day. You wouldn't get all of the flash and bang, but you'd get to meet students. The admissions office is happy to arrange this and I would be happy to host you or any other students wanting to come and visit outside of the second look season.

You can always come hang out on another day. You wouldn't get all of the flash and bang, but you'd get to meet students. The admissions office is happy to arrange this and I would be happy to host you or any other students wanting to come and visit outside of the second look season.

Haha, I'm afraid if you hosted me it'd be a done deal. You should be on Columbia's payroll (meant as a compliment by how enthusiastic you are about the school).

Haha, I'm afraid if you hosted me it'd be a done deal. You should be on Columbia's payroll (meant as a compliment by how enthusiastic you are about the school).

I spent 10 min with him and I was ready to sign my life away to Columbia....

Sounds like a plan to me.

Cool. I emailed Hilda to set something up. I didn't say I'd found a host online (cus that sounds weird, haha) but I didn't say I needed on either. Unless they just assign me one, I figure they'll ask if I need one and I'll tell them I already found something. I'll PM you when they respond.

Well, after withdrawing from the Penn wait list it looks like its Columbia for me! Amazing cycle and can't wait to meet the class soon!

Cool. I emailed Hilda to set something up. I didn't say I'd found a host online (cus that sounds weird, haha) but I didn't say I needed on either. Unless they just assign me one, I figure they'll ask if I need one and I'll tell them I already found something. I'll PM you when they respond.

Honestly, if they assign you one it will probably at my place anyways. We host a lot of HH- related candidates.

Does anyone know when waitlist movement starts for this school? Also what are the odds of getting off the waitlist? Thank you!

Does anyone know when waitlist movement starts for this school? Also what are the odds of getting off the waitlist? Thank you!

I believe someone mentioned late April is the earliest. I do want to know how likely it is to get off the waitlist too and how.

Is it true that 100 people come off that 600 people waitlist in late April to May?

Is it true that 100 people come off that 600 people waitlist in late April to May?

Historically that's been the case. They have ~50-60 spots to fill and it takes about 100 wait listers to fill them.

when does columbia release those juicy fin aid packages?

Just want to confirm. We do need to apply to the Need Access or whatever the website is right?

Are you taking the year off to be more competitive in the specialty you want to go to?

If so, do most students who want to go into a competitive field opt to take a year off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you taking the year off to be more competitive in the specialty you want to go to?

If so, do most students who want to go into a competitive field opt to take a year off?

Many students (40%) take a year off for various reasons. Half do a year of research, often because they are going into a competitive specialty, and half do a second degree.

That being said, it is not absolutely necessary to do so and many people do go straight through.

Many students (40%) take a year off for various reasons. Half do a year of research, often because they are going into a competitive specialty, and half do a second degree.

That being said, it is not absolutely necessary to do so and many people do go straight through.

Would getting and MD/MBA be helpful at all for landing competitive residency spots, or is the research perspective pretty much a requirement? I'm thinking about applying for the dual degree, but then having to take another year off to complete meaningful research may add too much time and money to my overall bill...I'm assuming that students who take the year off live off extra loans, right?

Would getting and MD/MBA be helpful at all for landing competitive residency spots, or is the research perspective pretty much a requirement? I'm thinking about applying for the dual degree, but then having to take another year off to complete meaningful research may add too much time and money to my overall bill...I'm assuming that students who take the year off live off extra loans, right?

I think mmmcdowe was granted a fellowship that supports him. I think his stipend is something like ~$15,000.

As an aside, the prelims and transitionals have been separated for the applicant's actual specailty. Those people did match for residency.

Institution Name Program Name
Hosp of the Univ of PA Anesthesiology
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Anesthesiology
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Anesthesiology
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Anesthesiology
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Anesthesiology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Anesthesiology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Anesthesiology
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Anesthesiology
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO Anesthesiology/4 yr
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Anesthesiology/Research
UC San Francisco-CA Anesthesiology/Research
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Child Neurology
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL Dermatology
U Texas Med Sch-Houston Dermatology
NYU School Of Medicine Dermatology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Dermatology
NYU School Of Medicine Dermatology
UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA Dermatology
Hershey Medical Center/Penn State Dermatology/Research
NYU School Of Medicine Emergency Medicine
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY Emergency Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Emergency Medicine
Alameda Co Med Ctr-CA Emergency Medicine
Denver Health Med Ctr-CO Emergency Medicine
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Emergency Medicine
NYU School Of Medicine Emergency Medicine
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Emergency Medicine
UC San Francisco-CA Emergency Medicine
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Emergency Medicine
U Southern California Emergency Medicine
Hunterdon Medical Ctr-NJ Family Medicine
UC San Francisco-CA Family Medicine
Santa Barbara Cottage Hosp-CA General Surgery
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY General Surgery
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY General Surgery
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA General Surgery
U Colorado SOM-Denver General Surgery
Virginia Mason Med Ctr-WA General Surgery
UCLA Medical Center-CA General Surgery
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY General Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Fdn-OH General Surgery
Stanford Univ Progs-CA General Surgery
Hosp of the Univ of PA General Surgery
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY General Surgery
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN General Surgery
U Connecticut School of Medicine General Surgery
UCLA Medical Center-CA Internal Medicine
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Internal Medicine
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Internal Medicine
Hosp of the Univ of PA Internal Medicine
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Internal Medicine
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Internal Medicine
U Colorado SOM-Denver Internal Medicine
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Internal Medicine
UC San Francisco-CA Internal Medicine
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL Internal Medicine
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Internal Medicine
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Internal Medicine
NYU School Of Medicine Internal Medicine
University of Virginia Internal Medicine
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL Medicine-Preliminary
NYU School Of Medicine Medicine-Preliminary
Greater Baltimore Med Ctr-MD Medicine-Preliminary
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Medicine-Preliminary
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Medicine-Preliminary
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Medicine-Preliminary
Morehouse Sch of Med-GA Medicine-Preliminary
Mt Auburn Hospital-MA Medicine-Preliminary
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Medicine-Preliminary
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Medicine-Preliminary
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Medicine-Preliminary
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Preliminary
U Nevada SOM-Reno Medicine-Preliminary
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Medicine-Preliminary
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Medicine-Primary
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Med-Preliminary
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Neurological Surgery
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med Neurological Surgery
St Josephs Hospital-AZ Neurological Surgery
Hosp of the Univ of PA Neurological Surgery
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Neurology
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL Neurology
UCLA Medical Center-CA Neurology
Hosp of the Univ of PA Obstetrics-Gynecology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Obstetrics-Gynecology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Maryland Med Ctr Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Obstetrics-Gynecology/Dallas
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Ophthalmology
U Maryland Med Ctr Ophthalmology
Harvard-Mass Eye & Ear Ophthalmology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Ophthalmology
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Ortho Surg/Harvard Combined
NYU School Of Medicine Ortho Surg/Hosp Joint Diseases
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Ortho Surg/Research COR 6 yr
Lenox Hill Hospital-NY Orthopaedic Surgery
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Orthopaedic Surgery
George Washington Univ-DC Orthopaedic Surgery
Brook Army Medical Center Orthopaedic Surgery
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Orthopaedic Surgery
Rush University Med Ctr-IL Orthopaedic Surgery
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Orthopaedic Surgery
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Orthopaedic Surgery
Oregon Health & Science Univ Orthopaedic Surgery
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA Orthopaedic Surgery
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Otolaryngology
Eastern VA Med School-VA Otolaryngology
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA Otolaryngology
Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary Otolaryngology/Research
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Pathology
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Pathology-Anat/Clin or Anat
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Pediatrics
Northwestern McGaw/CMH-IL Pediatrics
Childrens Hospital-LA-CA Pediatrics
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Pediatrics
U Washington Affil Hosps Pediatrics
Childrens Hospital-Philadelphia-PA Pediatrics
Cincinnati Childrens Hosp MC-OH Pediatrics
U Massachusetts Med School Pediatrics
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Pediatrics
U Minnesota Med School Pediatrics
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Pediatrics-Preliminary
Childrens Hospital-Boston-MA Peds/Childrens Hosp
Childrens Hospital-Boston-MA Peds/Urban Health Advocacy-BMC
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Plastic Surgery (Integrated)
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Psychiatry
UC San Francisco-CA Psychiatry
NYU School Of Medicine Psychiatry
NYU School Of Medicine Psychiatry
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Psychiatry
U Southern California Psychiatry
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Psychiatry
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Psychiatry
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Psychiatry
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Radiation-Oncology
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Radiology-Diagnostic
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Radiology-Diagnostic
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Radiology-Diagnostic
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Radiology-Diagnostic
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Radiology-Diagnostic
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Radiology-Diagnostic
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL Surgery Preliminary
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Surgery-Preliminary
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Surgery-Preliminary
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Surgery-Preliminary
U Utah Affil Hospitals Surgery-Preliminary
Hershey Medical Center/Penn State Surgery-Preliminary
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Thoracic Surgery
MacNeal Hospital-IL Transitional
Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan-OR Transitional
Crozer-Chester Med Ctr-PA Transitional
Lincoln Medical Ctr-NY Transitional
Tufts Medical Center-MA Transitional
NYMC-Sound Shore Med Ctr-NY Transitional
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Transitional/St Raphael
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL Urology
U Utah Affil Hospitals Urology

Last edited:
Wow, look at all those surgeons, neurologists, and radiologists. This is why Columbia is my school.

I wonder if any of the PD's give hints to their students about whether or not they ranked them high.

Perhaps, they have a special wink which means if you rank us first you're definitely coming here.....:p

I wonder if any of the PD's give hints to their students about whether or not they ranked them high.

Perhaps, they have a special wink which means if you rank us first you're definitely coming here.....:p

Residencies are notorious for being able to say a lot of nice things without actually promises to rank you high. Ultimately, a program wants everyone to rank them number 1.

As a lowly premed, I want to make sure I understand how this works. Ok so let's say hypothetically Columbia has 5 spots for orthopedic surgery, and they interview 10 people for it. They rank everybody:
1. Person A
2. B
3. C
4. D
5. E
6. F
7. G
8. H
9. I
10. J

And the candidates ranked Columbia on their list
A- #1
B- #1
C- #2
D- #1
E- #2
F- #1
G- #1
H- #2
I- #2

So does that mean that candidates A, B, D, F, and G are the 5 people who match to Columbia for ortho then? What happens to candidates C & E in that case? Do they end up at their #1 choice? Or if their #1 choice didn't rank them highly enough, do they totally get shafted? I know this isn't exactly a Columbia-specific question but it seemed contextually relevant enough to ask based on mmmcdowe's comment. I would assume a program wants to use as little of their list as possible (i.e lots of people ranked that program #1), but wanted to clarify this detail. Thanks!!! :love:
It depends on if persons C and E successfully matched to their first choice. If they did not, then they would match to Columbia because Columbia ranked them higher than persons F and G.

At least, that's how I understand the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.