2010-2011 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, we start 1st year with about 120 with the MSTPs who obvi do research after their 2nd year. The class size would then depend on how many people joined the class in their 3rd year after finishing their PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone hear anything about merit scholarships lately, or know when we might expect to find out if we got anything? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard tuition went up to $50,500.

Yeah, got that letter via snail mail...

...at least tuition is fixed for the four years. :/

ksmi or other current students -- any idea when we can expect to start hearing back about merit and/or need based aid?

Yeah, got that letter via snail mail...

...at least tuition is fixed for the four years. :/

ksmi or other current students -- any idea when we can expect to start hearing back about merit and/or need based aid?

Honestly, not a clue. Last year they had given out at least some prior to second look. But they sent out the invitation to apply later this year, so I have no idea if they have offered any of the money yet. As far as need-based, most people heard after second look last year, so be patient with that.

Honestly, not a clue. Last year they had given out at least some prior to second look. But they sent out the invitation to apply later this year, so I have no idea if they have offered any of the money yet. As far as need-based, most people heard after second look last year, so be patient with that.

Do they still do interviews for merit scholarships (besides Olin)? I talked to a 4th year yesterday who said she interviewed for the Dean's scholarship. Do all scholarships require interviews?

Do they still do interviews for merit scholarships (besides Olin)? I talked to a 4th year yesterday who said she interviewed for the Dean's scholarship. Do all scholarships require interviews?

Er, I don't think they interview anymore. They may have four years ago, but they didn't last year, and I'm not under the impression that they will this year.

I am a waitlistee, has anyone got off already. Does the waitlist even move at this point?

WashU was pretty darn impressive and is competing for my top choice.

I am a waitlistee, has anyone got off already. Does the waitlist even move at this point?

Historically (and by historically, I mean reported by SDNers in years past), there has been no reported movement until May 15 if I remember correctly.

I'll repost from last page:

Rather than do actual work, I scanned the 2009-2010 thread to try to get an empirical measure of our waitlist chances. All in all, there were 30 posters who, as far as I could discern, were placed on the waitlist and did not withdraw from consideration. There were 9 posters who claimed to have been accepted from the waitlist, with the first posting on 5/13 and the last on 6/1. Based on this extremely non-random and biased sample, we have a roughly 1/3 chance of being accepted. Not great, but better than 1/10.

This thread really died. What did you guys think of second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread really died. What did you guys think of second look?
I had a great time, everyone was very cool, especially the current med students. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice St Louis is too.

Just got this email from Diane Wachter, Dr. Dodson's assistant:

"The Washington University School of Medicine Merit Scholarship Selection Committee has completed the difficult task of selecting candidates to whom we are able to offer merit-based scholarships. I regret to inform you that you were not selected as a recipient and will not be awarded one of our merit-based awards. "

"The Washington University School of Medicine Merit Scholarship Selection Committee has completed the difficult task of selecting candidates to whom we are able to offer merit-based scholarships. I regret to inform you that you were not selected as a recipient and will not be awarded one of our merit-based awards. "

Sorry to hear that Robin. I am sure that it's disappointing to learn that you are no longer under consideration for a scholarship. Hopefully this piece of information will help you along in deciding which medical school to attend, you sure can't go wrong from your MDApps!

This thread sure has been dead recently. As someone patiently sitting on the waitlist, I hope this means that people are turning down their acceptances :D

Robin,
I signed up just to tell you I'm in the same boat - got the email today too. Looks like I get the joy of finishing my schooling $300,000 in (I paid for Bachelor & Master degree). Hurrah!
Does this affect your decision about where you'll be attending?

Robin,
Does this affect your decision about where you'll be attending?

Not sure yet. I loved Wash U, so I'm eager to find out what my need-based financial aid package might look like. We'll see. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Best of luck!

Not sure yet. I loved Wash U, so I'm eager to find out what my need-based financial aid package might look like. We'll see. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Best of luck!

Have you checked NetPartner recently? My package got posted last week. Haven't gotten the snail mail yet, though.

Sup Robin I met you at second look. What time dd you guys get the e-mail? Was it mass or individualized? If we received our need based awards on net partner does that mean we're out of the running for merit based aid?

Sup Robin I met you at second look. What time dd you guys get the e-mail? Was it mass or individualized? If we received our need based awards on net partner does that mean we're out of the running for merit based aid?

There wasn't anything in the email that made it seem individualized. I received it around 8 am this morning. I have no idea about the relationship between the NetPartner financial aid awards and the selection of merit-based awards. If you want to get the story straight, it might be worth calling either the Financial Aid Office or Dr. Dodson's office. Just a thought. Good luck!

my thought is that if you didn't get the email yet, you're still in the running. I got mine this morning as well. and I don't believe getting your need-based affects your merit-based - they're 2 separate systems (done by financial aid office vs. picked by a committee) so I imagine it doesn't matter if you already got your need-based package.

Need-based and merit-based are totally different, so unless you got that email, you're still in the running for some merit monies.

hey kmsi-
I'm starting to wonder about my living situation come August. What ways are available/which is the best for finding roommate(s) for next year? And when is the best time to go apartment finding for the CWE? I'm finished with my full time rotations June 24th, so I was planning on taking a trip to St. Louis right after that to find a place- is that too late, or do I need to somehow wrangle going earlier?

hey kmsi-
I'm starting to wonder about my living situation come August. What ways are available/which is the best for finding roommate(s) for next year? And when is the best time to go apartment finding for the CWE? I'm finished with my full time rotations June 24th, so I was planning on taking a trip to St. Louis right after that to find a place- is that too late, or do I need to somehow wrangle going earlier?

As far as the roommate thing, I believe WashU can put you in contact with other incoming students looking for a roommate. I didn't use that last year, but I know of people who did. You could also check out the facebook group.

Late June should be OK, but I wouldn't wait much later than that. There's a lot of places in the CWE so you'll be able to find something I'm sure.

Hey is there a 2011 match list anywhere? I tried searching for it but I keep getting a wustl page that can only be accessed by current students. Is there any way you could post it on here ksmi???

Hey is there a 2011 match list anywhere? I tried searching for it but I keep getting a wustl page that can only be accessed by current students. Is there any way you could post it on here ksmi???

the entire thing's posted on this thread one page back (14)

Does ksmi or anyone know if there has been any waitlist movement yet? I know it's still two weeks ahead of the busiest waitlist movement period...

Does ksmi or anyone know if there has been any waitlist movement yet? I know it's still two weeks ahead of the busiest waitlist movement period...

I honestly have no idea, but I don't think there has been any. WashU overaccepts a lot, so it'll probably post-May 15th before anything happens. :xf:

Has anyone heard anything in terms of merit scholarship application?

Has anyone heard anything in terms of merit scholarship application?

Not a peep here. I'm hoping this means I'm still in the running, but at this point I'm just dying to hear either way!

Will be withdrawing soon most likely, good luck to those here.

Will be withdrawing soon most likely, good luck to those here.

Thanks for the well wishes, I hope to get one of the spots opening up:xf:

I already sent a letter of intent to Dean Dodson, and will be sending another one to the Committee on Admissions soon.

Thanks for the well wishes, I hope to get one of the spots opening up:xf:

I already sent a letter of intent to Dean Dodson, and will be sending another one to the Committee on Admissions soon.

Good luck :luck: Hope to see you come August!

Do you think the Admissions Committee would like to hear that I have been growing a waitlist beard? Maybe I should send them a photo! ;)

Do you think the Admissions Committee would like to hear that I have been growing a waitlist beard? Maybe I should send them a photo! ;)

an update is an update right?

Well...I hoping that I would have seen a massive number of posts about withdrawals by now :D

I believe I have done just about everything I can and I feel good about it. I sent an update letter around Christmas, another after being waitlisted, and sent an LOI earlier this week. If it's not meant to be, then it's not meant to be...and I'm okay with that (but I still really, really, really want to go to WashU :)). Good luck to everyone accepted to WashU who is still trying to make a decision and good luck to those on the waitlist as well!

I would just like to say that my birthday is this week. So, Dean Dodson, if you would like to get me something for my birthday (belated or not), you know what to get me :xf:

Well...I hoping that I would have seen a massive number of posts about withdrawals by now :D

I believe I have done just about everything I can and I feel good about it. I sent an update letter around Christmas, another after being waitlisted, and sent an LOI earlier this week. If it's not meant to be, then it's not meant to be...and I'm okay with that (but I still really, really, really want to go to WashU :)). Good luck to everyone accepted to WashU who is still trying to make a decision and good luck to those on the waitlist as well!

I would just like to say that my birthday is this week. So, Dean Dodson, if you would like to get me something for my birthday (belated or not), you know what to get me :xf:

Looking at MDApps, there are a lot of people accepted here that have a lot of fantastic options elsewhere, and many of them will exercise those options. I am sure there will be a lot of withdrawals this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if not many report it here on SDN. This has not exactly been the most active thread this year (especially compared to previous years).

Good luck getting off the waitlist, and happy birthday!

Wow I wish I had done as much as you. I sent a letter of intent to Dean Dodson this past week and I will probably be writing a second one at some point. I really want to go here as well, hopefully we start hearing back soon!

Wow I wish I had done as much as you. I sent a letter of intent to Dean Dodson this past week and I will probably be writing a second one at some point. I really want to go here as well, hopefully we start hearing back soon!

Definitely!

Well, I wouldn't worry about how much you've done. I have to imagine that as long as they know you would definitely attend if offered a position, I would think you've done all you can.

Good luck to you! :luck:

Looking at MDApps, there are a lot of people accepted here that have a lot of fantastic options elsewhere, and many of them will exercise those options. I am sure there will be a lot of withdrawals this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if not many report it here on SDN. This has not exactly been the most active thread this year (especially compared to previous years).

Good luck getting off the waitlist, and happy birthday!

yeah :( here and the facebook group. it makes me sad

To those that got in:

Join the facebook group to get valuable advice from current students, find roommate, sublets, apartments, and meet other incoming firsts.

Also if you didn't get to visit during 2nd look or wanna visit again, please feel free to contact any of the rising second years to show you around school during the summer. You can also stay in Olin if you need to stay overnight, or of course, with current students who have extra couch or even bed in their place.

Participate in WUMP (WashU Med Plunge). It's a whole week of stuff before orientation, and half of your classmates will participate. You get a head start on meeting your classmates and getting to know the city.

To those trying to get in:

Email your letter to admissions. It will go to Dean Dodson. And don't sweat it if you haven't written one back in December. You can get off the waitlist with just one letter around and even past 5/15. It's mentally taxing, this WL process, but it's worth the headache when you get the call from Dean Dodson.

And see my advice above when you get in. =D

Much appreciated encouragement Equality :)

I'm kind of disappointed. I just received my "do you want to remain on the waitlist?" e-mail and it instructs you to go to WUMS Apply and indicate via the Waitlist Inquiry Response. Unfortunately there are still only two options? (1) Yes, I wish to remain under consideration for the First Year Class. (2) No, please remove my application from consideration. Where is the the "Absolutely...please pick me!" option? Can we convey conviction by answering "Yes" ~ 1000 times over the next hour? (I think I might try!)

I'm kind of disappointed. I just received my "do you want to remain on the waitlist?" e-mail and it instructs you to go to WUMS Apply and indicate via the Waitlist Inquiry Response. Unfortunately there are still only two options? (1) Yes, I wish to remain under consideration for the First Year Class. (2) No, please remove my application from consideration. Where is the the "Absolutely...please pick me!" option? Can we convey conviction by answering "Yes" ~ 1000 times over the next hour? (I think I might try!)

There's a text field, isn't there? I thought about writing something but figured I'd bugged them enough as it is. What's your top accepted choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.