2010-2011 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I didn't find out I got in until my roommate got an overnight express mail from WashU addressed to me; then I checked my status, and it was good news.

I guess it varies how people are notified.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi robinhalldunn,

I just received this email as well. Do you know how soon they get back to you after you submit the application?

just received an email invitation for merit scholarship consideration:

"
We are beginning the process of selecting recipients of our merit-based scholarships.

If you would like to be considered for one of these awards, please compose a brief statement (1,800 characters or less) answering the question, “What would the receipt of a merit-based scholarship mean to you?”

Then, go to WUMSapply_Merit Scholarship Inquiry:
· click “Yes” that you want to be considered and
· enter your statement and
· click Submit

After you submit your statement, you will receive confirmation that we received your submission.

Please complete this at your earliest convenience - no later than noon on 2/26/2011.

Sincerely,

W. Edwin Dodson, MD"

Hi robinhalldunn,

I just received this email as well. Do you know how soon they get back to you after you submit the application?

Hi sml128,

First of all, congrats! That's awesome to even be considered, eh? Anyway, I was wondering the same thing, so after I submitted my statement, I called Dr. Dodson's assistant to ask. She said essentially the same thing that is said in the email confirmation you receive when you submit, which is that it can be several months before you hear a decision. I asked her what that meant, exactly. She said that, because the review process is so in-depth, it could be late April or early May before we hear a response.

I hope that helps.

Peace,
Robin

Members don't see this ad :)
It's true that it will take awhile to hear. But here is what I know about it.

Last year, in early April (I think - it was definitely before second look), a bunch of people got an email saying that they were no longer being considered for a scholarship. Now it seems that they are asking only specific people to apply this year (wasn't the case in the past), so this might not happen. At the same time-ish, the first offers for scholarships went out to people (maybe all scholarships got offered at this time, maybe not - unclear). For me, neither of those things happened and I asked while at second look what that meant. They said that I was still under consideration. As time passed, more people were notified that they were not getting monies or offered smaller scholarships (because people were committing to WashU lessening the need for a waitlist of sorts). I personally did not get offered a full scholarship until May 13th (cutting it close there), so yeah, you might have to wait awhile.

Thanks for your response! I was not expecting to get an email, but it is definitely a nice surprise :) I wonder what our chances are for this scholarship. Do you have any idea how many invites they send out?

Hi sml128,

First of all, congrats! That's awesome to even be considered, eh? Anyway, I was wondering the same thing, so after I submitted my statement, I called Dr. Dodson's assistant to ask. She said essentially the same thing that is said in the email confirmation you receive when you submit, which is that it can be several months before you hear a decision. I asked her what that meant, exactly. She said that, because the review process is so in-depth, it could be late April or early May before we hear a response.

I hope that helps.

Peace,
Robin

i interviewed in late oct/early nov and haven't heard a peep. anyone else in my shoes? what on earth is taking so long? just reject me already haha.

i interviewed in late oct/early nov and haven't heard a peep. anyone else in my shoes? what on earth is taking so long? just reject me already haha.

<----- This guy.

Seriously, at this point I would just like to be able to stop thinking about it.

Yea I'm in the same boat as you (nov interview) but I'm not losing hope :D Hopefully I can get at least waitlisted and go from there:xf::xf:

Yeah, I interviewed in Nov too. Still waiting. I guess no news is good news, or at least not YOU'RE REJECTED news... but at this point I think it's waitlist for me at best :p

I thought I would have heard about the waitlist by now. So I did a little research about the waitlist and previous years.

Year and date of waitlist notification:
2010 - 3 March
2009 - 24 March (though there was some glitch on WUMS Apply and it informed people of the waitlist on 3 March for about 5 minutes and then it disappeared)
2008 - 14 March
2007 - 15 March

Apparently they give you a "waitlist offer" where you can accept or reject remaining on the waitlist. I guess last year in early May they sent at least some individuals an e-mail asking them if they (paraphrasing) really, really wanted to stay on the waitlist. No movement is usually seen more than a day or two before 15 May.

Congrats to those accepted outright. Here is a link for all of you as you decide on where to attend medical school: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/The-11-Most-Dangerous-usnews-1262959588.html?x=0 I thought you might enjoy...for someone who will eagerly stay on the waitlist until the end :)

Last edited:
Oh, now that's just cold. :nono: St. Louis isn't that bad, especially where the med school is. As I've said to applicants, don't be an idiot and you'll be fine. :)

You know...you're really throwing a wrench in my plans here! No telling how much waitlist movement (assuming I'm not rejected) I'm going to need :)

Honestly, I walked all around the CWE the night before my interview and could not have felt safer. I was surprised when I saw this article and I felt safer in St. Louis than most of the other cities on the list (how Baltimore is not higher amazes me...and I grew up in Atlanta). I only posted the link in good-natured humor, not as an attempt to sway anyone's decision.

Truthfully - visit Baton Rouge wearing another SEC team's garb...now THAT'S scary! Those sorority girls cuss like sailors :D

Rejected via thin snail letter today...Good luck to everybody still waiting...!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those accepted outright. Here is a link for all of you as you decide on where to attend medical school: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/The-11-Most-Dangerous-usnews-1262959588.html?x=0 I thought you might enjoy...for someone who will eagerly stay on the waitlist until the end :)

Thanks for the info on the waitlist, KickedOut!

Also, this article is more helpful when considering which cities are "dangerous." Most of the cities listed as "most dangerous" are generally considered so due to a few bad neighborhoods.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Truthfully - visit Baton Rouge wearing another SEC team's garb...now THAT'S scary! Those sorority girls cuss like sailors :D

:D Damn straight. Though I was never a sorority girl, I can heckle with the best of them!

Just FYI, the admissions office sent us a list of accepted students - 259 people. So they accepted a little over twice the class size so far.

Congrats to those who did get accepted, you should definitely come here (or at least come to Second Look - we're having lots of fun planning it). And don't give up yet if you haven't gotten in. There's generally quite a bit of waitlist movement. :luck:

:D Damn straight. Though I was never a sorority girl, I can heckle with the best of them!

Just FYI, the admissions office sent us a list of accepted students - 259 people. So they accepted a little over twice the class size so far.

Congrats to those who did get accepted, you should definitely come here (or at least come to Second Look - we're having lots of fun planning it). And don't give up yet if you haven't gotten in. There's generally quite a bit of waitlist movement. :luck:
The year I have stats for showed 346 accepted, so that's another 80+ that could get some very good news if they are patient and hang in there until all of this plays out.:cool:

For posterity, the nuts and bolts are:
36Q/3.9 - Interviewed early January. I guess that says it all.
So long to this thread and good luck to all. I hope your dreams become reality.
And remember...the Matrix cannot tell you who you are! :luck:

Last edited:

If you don't mind me asking, was it an email or status update?

Best of luck with everything.

I interviewed in mid-November, I have heard nothing.

Did this information show up on your status page? Email? Snail mail?

Damn... Bracing myself for the thin little envelope now. :(

It's true that it will take awhile to hear. But here is what I know about it.

Last year, in early April (I think - it was definitely before second look), a bunch of people got an email saying that they were no longer being considered for a scholarship. Now it seems that they are asking only specific people to apply this year (wasn't the case in the past), so this might not happen. At the same time-ish, the first offers for scholarships went out to people (maybe all scholarships got offered at this time, maybe not - unclear). For me, neither of those things happened and I asked while at second look what that meant. They said that I was still under consideration. As time passed, more people were notified that they were not getting monies or offered smaller scholarships (because people were committing to WashU lessening the need for a waitlist of sorts). I personally did not get offered a full scholarship until May 13th (cutting it close there), so yeah, you might have to wait awhile.

Hey, I know this post is kind of old but I am just getting caught up on the Wash U thread. Ksmi117, did you receive any information about scholarships before you were offered yours? I haven't heard anything in terms of fin aid or scholarships and I'm starting to get worried!

Thanks! :)

Has anyone else still not heard anything? At this point I am expecting a little envelope in the mail for a rejection, but the mail came today and still nothing. Can I hope for a spot on the wait list at this point?

In the same boat as you AJ. Haven't heard a thing!

Has anyone else still not heard anything? At this point I am expecting a little envelope in the mail for a rejection, but the mail came today and still nothing. Can I hope for a spot on the wait list at this point?

In the same boat as you AJ. Haven't heard a thing!

Same here. Come on WashU, end this!

I have a question that's more directly at current students than applicants. I've been looking at apt in CWE for the last two months and unfortunately have not found anything that is cheap (<$500/person/month) AND allows dogs AND has a kitchen with a venting fan. Since I'm currently living in St. Louis, I'm familiar with the De Baliviere neighborhood (next to Forest Park metro station) that offers cheaper housing than CWE, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to live there for first year. Would living in the De Baliviere neighborhood significantly impact socializing with other med students? My apartment mates will have cars, and it's easy to go to CWE via metro or the Goldline bus. If anyone has any advice regarding this, please let me know.

Hey, I know this post is kind of old but I am just getting caught up on the Wash U thread. Ksmi117, did you receive any information about scholarships before you were offered yours? I haven't heard anything in terms of fin aid or scholarships and I'm starting to get worried!

Thanks! :)

What do you mean? As far as communication initiated by WashU, nothing. Though I did send an update letter and keep in close contact with the admissions office after Second Look. Financial aid is done in the order that it's received, but you should get that info by May, I think. As far as scholarships, you really can't think anything of not hearing. It's a long process as they offer scholarships and people withdraw, etc. Patience is all I can suggest now.

I have a question that's more directly at current students than applicants. I've been looking at apt in CWE for the last two months and unfortunately have not found anything that is cheap (<$500/person/month) AND allows dogs AND has a kitchen with a venting fan. Since I'm currently living in St. Louis, I'm familiar with the De Baliviere neighborhood (next to Forest Park metro station) that offers cheaper housing than CWE, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to live there for first year. Would living in the De Baliviere neighborhood significantly impact socializing with other med students? My apartment mates will have cars, and it's easy to go to CWE via metro or the Goldline bus. If anyone has any advice regarding this, please let me know.

Meh, I personally wouldn't want to live outside of the CWE just because we generally go out there. It's so much easier to just walk home instead of having to drive, but it's definitely doable to drive back and forth. I know plenty of people who do. It kinda sucks that the Metro doesn't run past midnight so that's a bit difficult for the social scene. There are a lot of my classmates who live outside of the CWE who are very social but I think most of them have cars.

Hello all,

Thanks to the several dedicated WashU students who have followed this thread and provided useful information. I see that the admissions committee seems to have met on 2/28, and I am hoping someone may have some information about the rest of the application cycle from this point on.

I interviewed 1/27 and had what I thought was a great interview (my best so far!) I sent thank you cards and an update letter as one does, but have not heard anything yet, by snailmail, phone, or otherwise. WUMSapply still says "Interview scheduled." One potential complication is that my WUMSapply page did not show receipt of the Dean's Certification until last week, so I am concerned that this may have presented a snag.

Will there be any acceptances offered after future meetings of the committee, or only waitlist positions? (It has been noted that if only 259 students have been accepted so far, last year's numbers imply that ~80 further bids are due to come down.)

When will the committee meet next?

And would it be better to send a letter of intent before the decision, or after (hypothetically) being placed on the waitlist? I have several acceptances, but am really hoping to get into WashU - it seems like a great place!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

I can't believe I'm saying this because I've always been so careful with my money(yeah ok so I'm cheap!:laugh:), but when you're looking at the huge investment a medical school eduction requires, along with significant indebtedness, is a couple hundred dollars more a month that big of a deal to be able to develop a support network of like minded colleagues? Med school is tough, and the only people who are going to understand that are your classmates. Consider the extra dough an investment and do it right.

I can't believe I'm saying this because I've always been so careful with my money(yeah ok so I'm cheap!:laugh:), but when you're looking at the huge investment a medical school eduction requires, along with significant indebtedness, is a couple hundred dollars more a month that big of a deal to be able to develop a support network of like minded colleagues? Med school is tough, and the only people who are going to understand that are your classmates. Consider the extra dough an investment and do it right.

A couple hundred dollars more a month x 12 months could be a lot... Especially if you take into account that winters in St. Louis can be brutal, so it's likely you will spend another additional $100 on utilities during Jan and Feb. But I DO agree with you that having a support network is probably worth spending more. My friends and I have actually almost settled on an apt we just found this week. It's really close to the med school and really nice (hardwood floors, granite kitchen tops, in-unit laundry, etc. for about $575/month). My roommate is looking for someone to take over her lease from mid-May to August. So if any of you guys decide to stay in St. Louis over the summer to do research and need a place to stay, let me know!

Hey, for everyone who hasn't heard anything yet...

I called today and they said a decision still had not been made on my application. They said I would know by April 15th at the latest. I asked if all the acceptances had been sent out, and they said no, which I'm hoping is true!

Just thought I would update anyone else still waiting like me!

Thanks, AJ! I haven't heard a peep either, interviewed early Feb. Good luck to both of us I guess :)

I called today and they said a decision still had not been made on my application. They said I would know by April 15th at the latest. I asked if all the acceptances had been sent out, and they said no, which I'm hoping is true!

Thanks, AJ! My hopes have been buoyed a bit. Perhaps ksmi may have more information on dates? Good luck to you!

I want this to be true...I really do! Unfortunately, this would be bucking the trend of the past couple years. While it's totally feasible that they are doing things differently this year, ksmi already has the list of those accepted (and I'm guessing they are making plans for second look weekend based off of these numbers).

I guess I'm just trying not to get my hopes up at this point, but here's to hoping it's true!

I want this to be true...I really do! Unfortunately, this would be bucking the trend of the past couple years. While it's totally feasible that they are doing things differently this year, ksmi already has the list of those accepted (and I'm guessing they are making plans for second look weekend based off of these numbers).

I guess I'm just trying not to get my hopes up at this point, but here's to hoping it's true!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ksmi's list had ~260 names. The total number of acceptances last year was ~340. It's possible that any further acceptances come off the waitlist, but equally possible that further acceptances are in the works. Anyway, AJ heard it straight from the admissions office, which has to carry some weight!

SO I needed a pen for an exam today, except I didn't have one. That is until I opened my mailbox and saw a nifty little one from washu...I'm taking it as a sign that this is where I'm meant to go.
:laugh:

Last edited:
Just got the waitlist email (better than a rejection)!

Waitlisted too. Not surprised considering I interviewed so late, but I hope they take me as they are my top choice.

How many people do they accept onto the waitlist? And is it ranked?

Status
Not open for further replies.