2010-2011 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how everyday closer to May 15th I add more people to the FB group, but almost the same amount of people leave it as well. Pretty steady numbers over the past week or so :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I just received the following email from WashU:

Whereas it has been several weeks since I contacted you about our wait list, I am writing now to ask if you wish to keep your application under active consideration for a position in our 2011 First Year Class at Washington University School of Medicine.

If you do wish to remain a candidate for admission, please respond via the Internet. Simply click here Wait List Inquiry Response to connect to WUMSapply and then login to update your file.

I do hope that you will keep your application here active.

Please check your contact information at wumsapply.wustl.edu and make sure it is up-to-date and then update it whenever your information changes.

Thank you again for your patience during this busy and complex admission process.

With warm personal regards.

W. Edwin Dodson, M.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor and
Associate Dean for Admissions and CME
Professor of Pediatrics and Neurology
Washington University School of Medicine

However, I had already responded and said yes to the earlier request! I had to email the admissions staff because for some reason it wouldnt do it online. Does this mean that my initial acceptance of the waitlist position didnt go through? Or did everyone receive this second round of waitlist notifications?

I don't want WashU to think that I'm not interested because they are definitely my top choice. Now that I realize my initial response might not have gone through I'm freaking out because they might think I was ignoring them, even though I called multiple times and emailed them to let them know that I was unable to respond to their offer online.

I just reaffirmed that I wanted to remain on the waitlist and got the confirmation, but now I'm a paranoid wreck :oops:

I assume everyone got that. If you got the confirmation you're probably good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from Wash U want to give me a run down on what its like to live there? I really loved the school during my visit, and thought the facilities and people were great. However, I've never lived in a city like St. Louis and just want to hear about life there (I'm from the Northeast, and live by a much smaller city). I know the crime stats are pretty scary, but is it workable? Input is greatly appreciated.

Anyone from Wash U want to give me a run down on what its like to live there? I really loved the school during my visit, and thought the facilities and people were great. However, I've never lived in a city like St. Louis and just want to hear about life there (I'm from the Northeast, and live by a much smaller city). I know the crime stats are pretty scary, but is it workable? Input is greatly appreciated.

I've been living in St. Louis for the past 4 years (I'm originally from the northeast as well) and by the medical school in the central west end for the last year. To be honest I actually feel much safer in St. Louis than I did when in NYC, Boston, or really any other east coast city. Like any city there are "unsafe" areas but these are far from the medical school and you would really have no reason to travel there anyway.

Wash. U. Med School is in absolutely the best part of St. Louis, hands down. You are 2 minutes away from Forest Park which is unbelievably beautiful and provides tons of entertainment when the weather is nice. The Central West End is an extremely young area with lots of fantastic restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. The St. Louis public transportation system is adequate for most people's needs (you can easily get downtown for shows/sporting events, to the mall, and many other places) but I would personally recommend having a car (or knowing someone who does).

I hope that helps! PM me if you have any specific questions. Trust me when I say no matter where you're from, you really can't go wrong here.

Any word from waitlistees? Last year several people heard today, but maybe the schedule is different this year...

Any word from waitlistees? Last year several people heard today, but maybe the schedule is different this year...

So, my uncle decided to call me today from his company cellphone. It was a St. Louis area code. I got extremely excited before realizing that it was not Dean Dodson.

Anyways, nope...no word here.

That would be amazing to hear something today! Hopefully somebody'll post if they get the call.

So, my uncle decided to call me today from his company cellphone. It was a St. Louis area code. I got extremely excited before realizing that it was not Dean Dodson.

Anyways, nope...no word here.

Ah, brutal! I guess it's Monday, then. Good luck to all. :luck:

Ah, brutal! I guess it's Monday, then. Good luck to all. :luck:

I was kind of hoping that Dean Dodson would change Friday the 13th from the most unlucky day possible to the luckiest day ever!

Good luck to you as well! :luck::xf:

I were contacted today by phone and were asked if I am still interested. I won't enroll there since I have committed to another school.

I were contacted today by phone and were asked if I am still interested. I won't enroll there since I have committed to another school.

Were you offered a spot, or asked to confirm your position on waitlist?

AAAAAAA this is killing me! Come on, WashU!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what a typical schedule is like for students? like how many hours in class and what not?

does anyone know what a typical schedule is like for students? like how many hours in class and what not?

Generally for first year - MTTh class from 8:30 to noon and 1 to 2:30/3 (afternoons will be for the Practice of Medicine course - lectures, visits to the hospital, small groups); WF class from 8:30 to noon and afternoons off

This of course varies depending on the block, second block will have class on Wednesday afternoon; third block, we get done at 10:30 often.

Second year is more class. How much more, I'm not sure.

Just got off the waitlist!!! Dr. Dodson called me - I can't believe it!!

Out of curiosity, TKP, has your status changed on the website?

Nothing here :( Wasn't really expecting much...but I was still wishful!

FWIW, I wrote a letter expressing my strong interest on Thursday. So if you really really want to get off the list, don't hesitate in writing.

FWIW, I wrote a letter expressing my strong interest on Thursday. So if you really really want to get off the list, don't hesitate in writing.

Thanks for the insight! I am sure that info will help out a lot of individuals still on the wait list, but I wrote an e-mail to Dean Dodson last week stating that if accepted I would certainly attend.

I guess I can still hope that all of the vancancies have not been filled yet :xf:

This thread is really, really, really slow compared to last year. I guess the WashU applicants are anti-SDN this year!

So there has only been two SDNers contacted this year. Less movement this year or fewer people posting?

This thread is really, really, really slow compared to last year. I guess the WashU applicants are anti-SDN this year!

So there has only been two SDNers contacted this year. Less movement this year or fewer people posting?

I'm gonna guess fewer people posting. This really isn't a kickin' thread.

No word here either. OSU has my deposit, anyway... I'll just move on for now, and if I get in, I get in. Good luck!

Kind of nasty... great that you got in, but no need to deflate others' hopes.

I'm not sure that's what s/he meant. There probably is movement happening, because it doesn't really make sense that there wouldn't be unless people just aren't withdrawing. A school would be silly to have open spots just chilling. But that doesn't mean that there won't be more. :xf:

Kind of nasty... great that you got in, but no need to deflate others' hopes.

I wasn't trying to be nasty :( I was saying that I think there is waitlist movement, but prob just from people who aren't on SDN/aren't posting... because this thread hasn't really been moving much this year. I'm definitely pulling for the people who really want to go to WashU to get off the list :xf:Sorry if I accidentally offended.

I wasn't trying to be nasty :( I was saying that I think there is waitlist movement, but prob just from people who aren't on SDN/aren't posting... because this thread hasn't really been moving much this year. I'm definitely pulling for the people who really want to go to WashU to get off the list :xf:Sorry if I accidentally offended.

I know you weren't, I was being oversensitive - the waitlist can make you crazy. Sorry about that - thanks for the good wishes!

I know you weren't, I was being oversensitive - the waitlist can make you crazy. Sorry about that - thanks for the good wishes!

Haha, truer words have never been spoken. Well, I have a feeling that everyone on the WashU waitlist has been accepted to at least one, if not several, excellent medical schools. Try to keep that in mind as we attempt to maintain our sanity :D

Haha, truer words have never been spoken. Well, I have a feeling that everyone on the WashU waitlist has been accepted to at least one, if not several, excellent medical schools. Try to keep that in mind as we attempt to maintain our sanity :D

Speak for yourself...I've been creeping this thread for a long time, but this waitlist is literally my last option. I've been flat-out rejected from every other school I applied to, including my local (read: not prestigious AT ALL) state school for reasons unknown to me. I figure if WashU waitlisted me I can't be that bad, but my stack of rejection mail says otherwise...

On that note--telling WashU they are my only option: good idea or bad idea? I've kept my mouth shut so far because I don't want to seem desperate, but I'm starting to panic :( I'd rather not take a full year off!

On that note--telling WashU they are my only option: good idea or bad idea? I've kept my mouth shut so far because I don't want to seem desperate, but I'm starting to panic :( I'd rather not take a full year off!

I say bad idea. Definitely tell them that you'll attend if accepted 100%, but I'm not sure desperation is what's going to get you in. Include any updates, etc. Strongly worded for sure. :xf:

Speak for yourself...I've been creeping this thread for a long time, but this waitlist is literally my last option. I've been flat-out rejected from every other school I applied to, including my local (read: not prestigious AT ALL) state school for reasons unknown to me. I figure if WashU waitlisted me I can't be that bad, but my stack of rejection mail says otherwise...

they can see this when they review your file anyway, no need to tell them

I say bad idea. Definitely tell them that you'll attend if accepted 100%, but I'm not sure desperation is what's going to get you in. Include any updates, etc. Strongly worded for sure. :xf:
+1

At this point in the game they can see what schools, if any, individuals are holding acceptances to on the waitlist. I did not mean for my previous post to sound insensitive...I was just trying to help keep things in perspective.

Best of luck to you (and everyone else for that matter!) :luck:

Any movement as of late? Anyone wish to share if they have received an acceptance from the waitlist? Anyone already accepted to WashU receive a waitlist acceptance from a preferred school? Does anyone with an acceptance plan on withdrawing due to the looming rapture?

Feel free to comment on what will be my next e-mail to Dean Dodson:

Dean Dodson,

In light of the impending rapture this Saturday, May 21, 2011, I would like to express my desire to attend the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine, even in the afterlife. I would certainly, without a doubt, attend WashU if an acceptance were extended. I understand that some individuals would decide to forgo medical school after Armageddon, but I would love to spend my first four years of eternity studying medicine at WashU!

Sincerely,

KickedOut

A little over the top? ;)

Any movement as of late? Anyone wish to share if they have received an acceptance from the waitlist? Anyone already accepted to WashU receive a waitlist acceptance from a preferred school? Does anyone with an acceptance plan on withdrawing due to the looming rapture?

Dean Dodson,

In light of the impending rapture this Saturday, May 21, 2011, I would like to express my desire to attend the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine, even in the afterlife. I would certainly, without a doubt, attend WashU if an acceptance were extended. I understand that some individuals would decide to forgo medical school after Armageddon, but I would love to spend my first four years of eternity studying medicine at WashU!

Sincerely,

KickedOut

Those are all very good questions. As for the email, I think caution is indicated - we don't know about Dr. Dodson's religious affiliation. It's possible he belongs to the latest millenarianist sect and would thus be offended by the implication that he would still be around after May 21 to let you in off the waitlist. Perhaps some current students can fill us in ;)

Dean Dodson,

Sincerely,

KickedOut

Well having been following this thread for awhile and also as a waitlistee enduring the everlasting purgatory, I still burst into laugh reading that.
Also, no words, no news, nothing from WashU ...
Sill, good luck to us all!

Dean Dodson,

Sincerely,

KickedOut

hahaha. thank you. i needed that! :laugh:

Well they start working again tomorrow so I guess I'm in for another week of nail biting, waiting for a call :scared: I might go insane, but it would be worth it to get in here haha.

EDIT: ok its the next day and still no one got called!? Is no one witdrawing? Can't say I blame them,but it would be nice to have some hope restored

Last edited:
Wow no one has an update? I'm going to call the school tomorrow and ask if they have been seeing waitlist movement. Or maybe this thread is just a figment of my imagination, which is why it isn't being updated.:scared:

Wow no one has an update? I'm going to call the school tomorrow and ask if they have been seeing waitlist movement. Or maybe this thread is just a figment of my imagination, which is why it isn't being updated.:scared:

Let us know what you hear! Honestly, this thread has been so dead that I thought I might have nodded off during the "don't post on SDN" briefing during the interview day @ WashU.

I took at look at a couple threads from other schools and it seems like this year might have less movement overall then previous years (or at least fewer individuals posting about movement).

Let us know what you hear! Honestly, this thread has been so dead that I thought I might have nodded off during the "don't post on SDN" briefing during the interview day @ WashU.

I took at look at a couple threads from other schools and it seems like this year might have less movement overall then previous years (or at least fewer individuals posting about movement).

I called and was told that there had been some waitlist movement, and that there will continue to be more movement throughout the summer so :xf::luck::xf:

I guess people just aren't posting about it, but my dreams of attending WashU might still come true?!

Last edited:
Yeah the waiting is definitely horrible but hopefully it'll pan out for some of us! Also sent in a letter of interest and will be following up with an update letter shortly. Good luck everyone!

hi quick question for any current students:

how does having a car work? is there ample space on the surface lots or is it worth looking into getting a parking permit? (they're a bit pricey)

Also, part II:

Can anyone recommend any nicer apartment complexes that would have decently priced 1br apartments?

Thank you all so much, and good luck to each and every one of you

Also, part III:

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how long do MSII's get off and when do they study for the Step I's?

Is there an ample support structure for board prep?

Sigh, this computer has lost what I've written twice, so I'm gonna be brief this time. I'm elaborate more if you want.

hi quick question for any current students:

how does having a car work? is there ample space on the surface lots or is it worth looking into getting a parking permit? (they're a bit pricey)

Also, part II:

Can anyone recommend any nicer apartment complexes that would have decently priced 1br apartments?

Thank you all so much, and good luck to each and every one of you

Car - not worth getting a permit if you live in the CWE. The walk to school isn't bad at all.

Apt - I'm not a good person for this info, sorry.

Also, part III:

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how long do MSII's get off and when do they study for the Step I's?

Is there an ample support structure for board prep?

Step 1 - the M2s got done on the 13th and start again on June 20th. Most M2s are taking Step 1 within the next few weeks so they have a bit of time off before 3rd year. They do study during the year as well since they only get a month off. What exactly do you mean by support structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.