2010-2011 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Invite today, complete 7/16, 3.6, 34, IS. Interview is October 8th, but I (unfortunately) have to reschedule. I'm trying to tell myself that 3 weeks later this early in the cycle is a non-issue, but it was difficult to not just cancel my other interviews to make time for this one!

Pretty similar stats. I had the same date and also re-scheduled (for an exam). I don't think it will be a big deal, but I guess I don't really know. Here's hoping for the best.

P.s. If anyone is going to stay the Friday after their interviews and wants to go out PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pretty similar stats. I had the same date and also re-scheduled (for an exam). I don't think it will be a big deal, but I guess I don't really know. Here's hoping for the best.

It's pretty nerve wracking.

I'll say we have similar stats, I even volunteered for a yr at the burn unit :) I had a great time there.

It's pretty nerve wracking.

I'll say we have similar stats, I even volunteered for a yr at the burn unit :) I had a great time there.

Well that's just crazy. Gimme my life back.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, I was complete here Aug. 17. I'm IS 3.6/36. How long until I should worry about no interview invite?

so, I was complete here Aug. 17. I'm IS 3.6/36. How long until I should worry about no interview invite?

Not that'll help, but I'd say that you have quite a while until you should start worrying. I was complete a month before you and got an interview invite today. I'm not totally sure, but if it goes based on completeness date (which is seems like it has been), you still have a month before you should even imagine *slightly* beginning to worry.

If I could get a Halloween weekend interview it would be so amazing...

Woke up to an interview invite today! :)

Submitted secondary on 7/17.

Interview is on October 22nd, but unfortunately gotta reschedule since I'm currently abroad.

Hope to see some of you guys at interviews!

Hi guys, so I have an interview in about a week and half. I emailed the student host program and they got back to me quickly, saying they can accommodate me. But I haven't received any information about my specific host. Anyone else in this situation? For people who are interviewing in four days, do you have your hosts already?

Hi guys, so I have an interview in about a week and half. I emailed the student host program and they got back to me quickly, saying they can accommodate me. But I haven't received any information about my specific host. Anyone else in this situation? For people who are interviewing in four days, do you have your hosts already?

I also haven't heard from that and just emailed them this morning to see if they had any details/updates available...

I couldn't find any information about what a "typical M1 and M2" day is like. Some schools have the entire semester's schedule posted but I couldn't find it for UW. Just wondering if the day 8-5 with lectures and labs, or if it's more flexible than that. I know some curriculum focuses on self-based learning where students get out at 12 every day. Can current students comment on what their schedule is like, and how much studying you typically do every day and/if on weekends? This just helps me get an idea of how much time students have for extra curriculars and volunteering and personal life.

typical day for M1:

It varies day to day, but the basic jist is a few hours of lecture a morning - sometimes less. sometimes small group lumped in there. in the afternoons, we have our doctoring class one day/wk, and some small group type problem based learning type things. i'd say we're probably off half the time in the afternoon.

other than that, peoples study schedules vary. ive been studying a lot lately, but i think youll find that the studying profile is mainly individual-based so depending on you it'll be the same wherever you end up. of course, it's med school so youll probably be studying a fair amount. people find time though for fun stuff. i personally waste a good amount of time watching baseball every night.

I couldn't find any information about what a "typical M1 and M2" day is like. Some schools have the entire semester's schedule posted but I couldn't find it for UW. Just wondering if the day 8-5 with lectures and labs, or if it's more flexible than that. I know some curriculum focuses on self-based learning where students get out at 12 every day. Can current students comment on what their schedule is like, and how much studying you typically do every day and/if on weekends? This just helps me get an idea of how much time students have for extra curriculars and volunteering and personal life.

M1 year isn't too bad. You will spend more time studying 2nd semester. As a 2nd year, you'll be studying a lot more, and the 2nd semester of 2nd year is probably the worst part of med school. There's never lecture more than 4 hours a day and at least 50% of people don't go. You'll spend about 2-3 afternoons a week in some sort of small group or lab. Most of them are required, although I heard that's changed to a certain degree this year. I would say UW has about an average amount of class time compared to most other schools. It's definitely not as much as traditional curriculum schools, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my rejection letter today.

Wisconsin Resident
3.6 gpa
33 MCAT

snail mail rejection letter today. OOS.

Did anybody successfully stay with a host for the october 1st interview? How long before your interview did the host contact you?

Got my rejection letter today.

Wisconsin Resident
3.6 gpa
33 MCAT

Yikes, that's two points above the competitive 'LizzyM' score, and you're instate :(
Best of luck with your other schools, this trend of schools getting more and more selective every year makes me feel bad about the people applying 5 years from now. Seems like you will need a 4.0/36mcat to just be competitive locally :scared:

Yikes, that's two points above the competitive 'LizzyM' score, and you're instate :(
Best of luck with your other schools, this trend of schools getting more and more selective every year makes me feel bad about the people applying 5 years from now. Seems like you will need a 4.0/36mcat to just be competitive locally :scared:

The GPA is on the low side. UW tends to favor GPA over MCAT to a certain degree. We are trying to be much more qualitative this year, though, for a number of reasons.

One of my buddies did EDP and also got turned down.

He had 32/37 MCAT, 3.7-3.8gpa, clinical research in the ER, published lab work.

I think we both didn't have much volunteer experience

One of my buddies did EDP and also got turned down.

He had 32/37 MCAT, 3.7-3.8gpa, clinical research in the ER, published lab work.

I think we both didn't have much volunteer experience

UW used to use a point system where certain things gave you bonus points or subtracted points. I'm not involved in admissions this year so I don't know how it works now. MCAT > 35, GPA > 3.8, having a certain amount of volunteer hours, and going to UW for undergrad were things that gave positive points. You could lose points for not having sufficient volunteer experience. I am not sure what the system is now but I heard it's more qualitative.

UW used to use a point system where certain things gave you bonus points or subtracted points. I'm not involved in admissions this year so I don't know how it works now. MCAT > 35, GPA > 3.8, having a certain amount of volunteer hours, and going to UW for undergrad were things that gave positive points. You could lose points for not having sufficient volunteer experience. I am not sure what the system is now but I heard it's more qualitative.

I guess living in Madison for 18 years doesn't score any points :)

Any one else here not have a statistics course (to meet the requirement), but instead have relevant such experience?

I guess living in Madison for 18 years doesn't score any points :)

Nope. Interestingly, and this is just from observation, but it appears Madison is actually a little bit underrepresented in the classes as far as I can tell. There's definitely people from Madison (I'm a native too) but there are many more from Milwaukee and the Fox River Valley.

anyone know if UW conducts interviews on any other days besides Fridays? I need to reschedule mine for a Thurs or a Monday if possible..

thanks!

UW was my first choice last year.

I had a 31 and a 3.5 with some great experiences.

I was complete in July and was rejected in February... moral of the story is that it can be a LONG cycle!!!

Good luck everyone!

Go Mich State!

got an invite to interview last week! i was complete mid-july.

oos, lots of volunteering and research (3 pubs to date).

i was so surprised, seeing as how im from IL and all. good luck everybody, UW is a fantastic school!

Last edited:
Interview invite last Friday for Nov. 19th. Complete mid-Sept. Sooo surprised!!

what were your stats if you don't mind me asking and are you IS??

I'm OOS, undergrad GPA is pretty low, grad GPA 3.75, MCAT 31R, some long-term volunteer and research, 7 publications. I'm thinking they liked my research...

Anyone from the 10/8 interview care to talk about what your day was like/how the interview was?

anyone know if UW conducts interviews on any other days besides Fridays? I need to reschedule mine for a Thurs or a Monday if possible..

thanks!

Nope. All of our interviews are on Fridays.

So I got swamped with work and did not complete my secondaries, is it even worth sending them in anymore? I was somehow consoled by the fact that some of my friends didn't even get their MCATs back until two weeks ago, but now I'm really bummed about not having sent them in.

BCPM undergrad:3.27
Overall undergrad: 3.37
degrees: Mol bio & Biochem

BCPM grad: 4.0
Overall grad: 4.0 (6 credits only)
degree: applied mol bio

MCAT:
#1 V6 P11 B12
#2 V12 P11 B10

Interview Invite today! I was beginning to think they lost my app...

Haha, yeah I hear that. Received my interview invite today too finally! Hey, anyone on here know ,or have been told as much) what the turn-around-time is for decisions after your interview?? Just curious. Good luck everyone!!

Haha, yeah I hear that. Received my interview invite today too finally! Hey, anyone on here know ,or have been told as much) what the turn-around-time is for decisions after your interview?? Just curious. Good luck everyone!!

We were told 4-6 weeks. Via snail mail. Congrats on the interview and :luck:!

If you guys don't mind me asking, when were you complete? I'm starting to get a little nervous about the lack of response.

If you guys don't mind me asking, when were you complete? I'm starting to get a little nervous about the lack of response.

tell me about it i wonder if they have gotten to the apps which were complete in September yet...or am I pushing it...

I was complete on 8/18 or 8/19. If you're really curious about when you will be reviewed and don't want to wait, I would email Jane Shepard in admissions. She was able to tell me (in a semi-vague email) when I was to go into review. Once in review she can't really tell you much, about decision turn around time. However, for what it's worth, I received my invite approximately 2 weeks after I went into review.

I apologize if this has been asked already, and I know this is probably in the latest MSAR, but does anyone know offhand the number of in state interviewed applicants that get accepted? I know most state schools accept about 50% of the people that interview, but I'm getting pretty nervous for my upcoming interview.
See, this is my third year applying and my first and only interview is at Madison, so I have way too much riding on that one day. I was hoping they accept at least 50% of the instate interviewees :xf:. Then again, even 50% is still scary, its like flipping a coin to decide your future *eek*

Last edited:
I got an email on 8/15 saying you have been favorably reviewed and moved to a smaller pool of applicants who will be considered for interview. I just completed the application about two weeks ago. Is this a good sign at all? not outright rejection right? Did anyone else receive this?

I apologize if this has been asked already, and I know this is probably in the latest MSAR, but does anyone know offhand the number of in state interviewed applicants that get accepted? I know most state schools accept about 50% of the people that interview, but I'm getting pretty nervous for my upcoming interview.
See, this is my third year applying and my first and only interview is at Madison, so I have way too much riding on that one day. I was hoping they accept at least 50% of the instate interviewees :xf:. Then again, even 50% is still scary, its like flipping a coin to decide your future *eek*

Looks like just under 50% of instate interviewees were accepted.

Total admissions data: 3151 applied, 496 interviewed, 277 were accepted, 168 enrolled
In-state admissions data: 650 applied, 366 interviewed, 173 were accepted, 132 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data: 2501 applied, 130 interviewed, 104 were accepted, 36 enrolled

Total admissions data: 3151 applied, 496 interviewed, 277 were accepted, 168 enrolled
In-state admissions data: 650 applied, 366 interviewed, 173 were accepted, 132 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data: 2501 applied, 130 interviewed, 104 were accepted, 36 enrolled

Yikes, less then 50%? Heh, know I know how Han Solo felt when he yelled "Ah, never tell me the odds!".

In any case, thanks SFGuy2011. Looks like I need to give this interview all I got.

THey accept almost 80% of the OOS people they interview?!?! That's such good news for me! Almost too good to be true! :) This is my first choice and I've been so nervous since my interview.

I was complete in early August and just got my invite. But I know someone who submitted after me but got an invite before me. I don't think UW is completely linear...

Status
Not open for further replies.