2010-2011 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the M1's gathering for orientations the other day... how is the first week going?
pretty good. a bit tiring though only because of all the time spent doing orientation activities.

Members don't see this ad.

They're doing something pretty neat this year where they have the m1s spend a couple hours in the ED helping with patient histories and intakes. I was hanging out with a bunch of them while I was doing my peds ED shift today.

They're getting real clinical experience like a week into med school! It's cute to see then really excited to wear their brand new white coats in the hospital too :) idk if they have to give them back later bc white coat ceremony hasn't happened yet?

They're doing something pretty neat this year where they have the m1s spend a couple hours in the ED helping with patient histories and intakes. I was hanging out with a bunch of them while I was doing my peds ED shift today.

They're getting real clinical experience like a week into med school! It's cute to see then really excited to wear their brand new white coats in the hospital too :) idk if they have to give them back later bc white coat ceremony hasn't happened yet?

That is really cool. It's good to give the students a taste of the real thing. It gives the students something to think about when they spend long nights studying. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
All those damn M1s were making ebling SO loud while I was grinding away that last week before the MCAT.

All those damn M1s were making ebling SO loud while I was grinding away that last week before the MCAT.

I'm with you on that one

p.s. awesome sig (I'm a huge atm fan)

And the M1's are for sure thinking "Omg all these undergrads keep crowding OUR library! Go back to the memorial library with the rest of your kin" :laugh:

And the M1's are for sure thinking "Omg all these undergrads keep crowding OUR library! Go back to the memorial library with the rest of your kin" :laugh:

Haha, that's what *I* was thinking. It's a little presumptuous to complain about the med students' behavior in their own library.

Yeah the whit coat thing is a little wierd...our white coat ceremony is tomorrow so we've already worn them but have to bring them with us to get them given back to us as part of the ceremony :p But I'm also really excited to get to go to the ED, very cool. I do mine next week Friday so if you're still there and see an excited/scared/very confused-looking M1 please say hi!

Yeah the whit coat thing is a little wierd...our white coat ceremony is tomorrow so we've already worn them but have to bring them with us to get them given back to us as part of the ceremony :p But I'm also really excited to get to go to the ED, very cool. I do mine next week Friday so if you're still there and see an excited/scared/very confused-looking M1 please say hi!

My last ED shift is tomorrow so I won't be there Friday (sorry but not upset about not being on call the Friday before labor day weekend, haha) it seems like the m1s are having fun there though. I'm having them do as much as possible if I'm working with them!

My thoughts regarding med school stuff, esp patient things in 1st year is:

1) you're the one wearing the white coat, so don't be intimidated by patients. They're probably a lot more intimidated than you and don't necc know the intricacies of the medical hierarchy. To them, you're a doctor if you're taking care of them.

2) study and learn the info bc it's impt, but don't kill yourself 1st year. It's pass fail for a reason, to let you get your feet under you! You'll be killing yourself soon enough. I heard some m1 say they pulled an all-nighter to study for a histo quiz and that made me die a little bit inside.

3) enjoy dean's cup! It's an unique event and you don't get that many opportunities to associate with ppl from other schools!

So the first interview invites went out 9/16 last year... one more week! :xf:

Just opened my inbox to find an interview invite (for October 1) from Madison! Apparently they're running early this year :)

(Non-traditional, out of state)

Just opened my inbox to find an interview invite (for October 1) from Madison! Apparently they're running early this year :)

Wow! Congrats! hopefully ISers will hear back soon

Congratulations! :thumbup: would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from Wisconsin stating that they received my AMCAS, and they screen their applicants before continuing the application process. I got this email on August 17th, and still haven't gotten a response. Anyone know what's going on here? I haven't got my MCAT scores yet (I am getting them next week), but would this prevent me from being screened up until now?

Thanks.

I got an email from Wisconsin stating that they received my AMCAS, and they screen their applicants before continuing the application process. I got this email on August 17th, and still haven't gotten a response. Anyone know what's going on here? I haven't got my MCAT scores yet (I am getting them next week), but would this prevent me from being screened up until now?

Thanks.

1st post! I got the following e-mail from them after I applied, so I think they're probably waiting on your MCAT scores. Hope that helps!

Dear Applicant,

The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UW SMPH) is pleased to have received your AMCAS application for our MD programs.

At the point of receipt of the AMCAS application, each medical school has a unique system of processing applications. At UW SMPH our Admissions staff verifies that minimum MCAT scores of 7 in verbal reasoning, 7 in physical sciences and 8 in biological sciences and an undergraduate grade point average of 2.8/4.0 have been met. Those meeting minimum scores are invited to submit our secondary application. The invitation will come via email accompanied by instructions on how to proceed.

Those not meeting minimum scores are further reviewed for evidence of additional achievements. Some may be invited to submit our secondary application.

Interview Invite. Woot! Interview Oct. 8th. (3.66/34/IS/UW undergrad)

Interview Invite. Woot! Interview Oct. 8th. (3.66/34/IS/UW undergrad)

So it begins!

What date were you complete?

EDIT: never mind, looked at mdapps

Last edited:
So it begins!

What date were you complete?

EDIT: never mind, looked at mdapps

7/14 is what I have on my MDApps. I don't remember if thats when I submitted or when I got a complete email, probably the later.

Congrats on the ones that received interviews!! Since you guys were complete in July I'm sure I will have to wait a while to hear back since I wasn't complete until 8/27.

I was complete Jul 21st and haven't heard a peep from them. I guess no news is still good news at this point.:xf:

:luck: on those interviews!

I was complete Jul 21st and haven't heard a peep from them. I guess no news is still good news at this point.:xf:

:luck: on those interviews!

I think a lot of us are in the same situation as you. Don't worry though. According to the archived threads, for the last 3 years a huge batch of interviews went out during the days of September 15th-17th. Here's hoping we all get an email this week:xf:

Gotta love Wisconsin's low secondary app fee (relatively speaking, of course). Makes you feel good when a school isn't trying to milk as much money as possible from its applicants. :)

Is there a good way to get from Chicago to Madison? I don't want to drive and it seems hard to fly to Madison.

It's only 3 hours, so if I were you I would do the drive the day before and stay in a hotel. There is an airport in Madison if you really wanted to fly. Otherwise, there are some coach buses that do the drive (usually meant to transport people to/from the airport, but this would work too). Here is one website: http://www.coachusa.com/vangalder/ss.tickets.asp

Is anyone familiar with the interview format? I just received an interview invite (OoS) and it mentioned something about a group discussion with med students. Not sure what to expect :/

Is anyone familiar with the interview format? I just received an interview invite (OoS) and it mentioned something about a group discussion with med students. Not sure what to expect :/

Congrats on the invite! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking? I had a dream last night I got an interview invite for here, then woke up :(. Hoping to get an actual invite though, this school sounds amazing!

Congrats on the invite! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking? I had a dream last night I got an interview invite for here, then woke up :(. Hoping to get an actual invite though, this school sounds amazing!

I believe I submitted the secondary around 7/12. BTW, I didn't write the optional essay.

Got an interview invite for Oct 15 upon waking up from my afternoon (well-deserved) nap. I was complete mid July. Oh yea, I'm in state (go wisconsin!)

I had to re-schedule my interview from Oct 8th to Oct 22nd because of an exam...frustrating. Hopefully it won't hurt my chances at all.

if its the same as last year then it should be a faculty interview and then a 3 interviewee - 2 student interview which is pretty chill.

if its the same as last year then it should be a faculty interview and then a 3 interviewee - 2 student interview which is pretty chill.

UW is changing up the interview stuff a bit this year as far as I know, so things might be a little different, in terms of the importance of the interview. Format should be similar.

UW is changing up the interview stuff a bit this year as far as I know, so things might be a little different, in terms of the importance of the interview. Format should be similar.

Could you explain what you mean by the importance of the interview changing - isn't is always really important/the deciding factor?

Can you speculate at all which way the change might go? As in, more or less importance given to the interview?

Could you explain what you mean by the importance of the interview changing - isn't is always really important/the deciding factor?

The interview was less important in years past and will be more important going forward afaik.

Due to flight scheduling reasons, I probably won't be able to make it to the social. Would this be a huge problem/is the social very fun or informative? I'm planning to stay with a student host so I"m hoping I'd get all the info anyway.

Due to flight scheduling reasons, I probably won't be able to make it to the social. Would this be a huge problem/is the social very fun or informative? I'm planning to stay with a student host so I"m hoping I'd get all the info anyway.

The socials aren't a big deal. You'll get all of the info you need from your student host. The only advice I have for interviewees is to enjoy Madison if you can spend Friday night there, try to see the city a bit because it is amazing in the fall when it's still warm. This is definitely our best season (although summer this year was very very nice)

Received my interview invitation last friday for October 15th. Anyone know what to expect?

Guess I'm the first one. Got my rejection letter in the mail today. Complete 7/7, OOS, 3.6/35. I'm really bummed, this was one of my top choices. Other rejections didn't make me sad but this one did.

That sucks I have almost identical stats. To be honest I thought a 35 would get me an interview at Wisconsin.

I'm still patiently waiting for an update. For those of you who heard back, when were you complete? I was complete around July 22nd, I think.

must. remain. patient.

It's rough seeing many of my classmates getting interview invites, though. :(

Congrats to everyone with interviews already. Only just got this secondary in the other night and was wondering - how many of you completed the optional essay? I have been completing all the optional essays in my applications, however I'm not so sure this one is completely relevant to me. So short of talking about gaining an appreciation for such challenges... (which is not what they're asking)

Congrats to everyone with interviews already. Only just got this secondary in the other night and was wondering - how many of you completed the optional essay? I have been completing all the optional essays in my applications, however I'm not so sure this one is completely relevant to me. So short of talking about gaining an appreciation for such challenges... (which is not what they're asking)

I did the optional essay, and I think if there's anything you can add that might benefit your application and wasn't in your AMCAS personal statement - you might as well do it. "what additional information, if any, do you wish to provide the Admissions Committee that may be important in the evaluation of your candidacy? You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant." It doesn't specify that you need to talk about challenges that you've overcome. That's just used as an example in the second paragraph of the prompt.

Also, I'll mention that I tried to be somewhat descriptive and provide more information than AMCAS under Employers and Activities, and also tried to tie in, when relevant, how something might have influenced my desire to go into medicine. A couple of them I just listed what I'd done, but for most activities I wrote a pretty decent paragraph.

Last edited:
must. remain. patient.

It's rough seeing many of my classmates getting interview invites, though. :(

Yea, I know that feeling, its unique and painful in its own special way.

Received my interview invitation last friday for October 15th. Anyone know what to expect?

The interview day is pretty relaxed. I think they're planning to make some changes this year, but generally expect one faculty interview with a single interviewer and group interviews with four interviewees and two med students. There's a morning session where you hear from a lot of different people, a lunch, and tour of the med school. I am not sure if they're doing hospital tours this year, but they might. I would advise staying with a student host if you can, and the thursday night social is cool but definitely not essential. Try to see as much of Madison as you can because it's an awesome town! I would try to stay Friday night if possible.

Yea, I know that feeling [not getting an interview], its unique and painful in its own special way.

...and speak of the devil, I got my interview invitation today :D

Interview Invite for Oct 22nd
Complete 7/28, IS

Last edited:
Invite today, complete 7/16, 3.6, 34, IS. Interview is October 8th, but I (unfortunately) have to reschedule. I'm trying to tell myself that 3 weeks later this early in the cycle is a non-issue, but it was difficult to not just cancel my other interviews to make time for this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.