2010-2011 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont really recommend ED for anyone really. How do you really know that you want a school until you go to interviews, except for maybe ranking or location. And if for some reason you aren't accepted, your basically too late at other schools. There is not much advantage at a place like NJMS that starts letting people know decisions so early. If you can get in ED, you should get in regular and be in by october or November. It can make more of a difference for non-rolling school where you find out much earlier as an ED applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I would recommend ED, but do you have a pre-med advisor you can discuss this with? Someone with years of experience might be better equipped to answer such a question (unless you are here just seeking additional feedback?)

Thanks for the response. I have been in contact with my advisor, but overall, I have been getting some mixed advice. Some people tell me to retake, while others advice me to keep my score. (My AAMC avgs were about 36, with a 7-11 on verbal).

And anfleisch, thank you for that response, that's what I've been hearing. I will try to work into my personal statement the fact that English is my second language, and hopefully they may show me some mercy!
(I really don't want to retake as I will have to study for months and this semester is loaded with upper level sciences and research).

Thanks!

I dont really recommend ED for anyone really. How do you really know that you want a school until you go to interviews, except for maybe ranking or location. And if for some reason you aren't accepted, your basically too late at other schools. There is not much advantage at a place like NJMS that starts letting people know decisions so early. If you can get in ED, you should get in regular and be in by october or November. It can make more of a difference for non-rolling school where you find out much earlier as an ED applicant.

That's a huge disadvantage, and why every person who does ED meets probably a couple times with Dean Heinrich before interviewing. I think once you get his go-ahead to do the ED, your chances are tremendously boosted.
If you are dead set on NJMS, and love the school above all others or need to stay in that area, then I guess you can do the ED if the dean gives you the go-ahead.

Overall, I echo everyone else' sentiments about ED...don't do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
EDP or not...
It sounds like you have two red flags; a cGPA of 3.0 and a 7 on the verbal. A year at an SMP and a re-take of the MCAT is going to put you in much better standing for an application.

Think about UMDNJ-GSBS at Newark; you can spend a year demonstrating good academic abilities, repeat the MCAT, and spend a year kissing everyone's butt at NJMS ahead of your application the following year. Oh and you can take med school classes too if you are selected to do so

Hey for those of you who got accepted to NJMS and RWJ how did you complete the Student financial aid application? Do you just send it to one school? I want to see the financial aid packages for both?

any other acceptees slacking on their health requirements? i don't have insurance and am scared of seeing the total bill for the visits and lab tests.

I havent submitted my healthcare paperwork yet either or FAFSA.

I also haven't heard anything from the school since acknowledgement of my deposit - has anyone else received anything?

I got a letter from Financial Aid telling me about how to apply. I just submitted my FAFSA yesterday, though the UMDNJ application asks like what you expect you will need for aid in total, though the rates for 2011-2012 haven't been released yet...so I'm going to ask them if we should wait or go with 2010-2011's numbers for an estimate.

My parents did say they received something about that Parent's Day in April or whatever, but I have heard nothing otherwise.

Is anyone else ready to start school? I took a year off for work and relaxing because I was tired of being in school since Pre-school...and now I am absolutely dying to go back. Mission accomplished! haha

Are we supposed to submit parental info for FAFSA?

I know some schools require it but I couldn't find anything on the UMDNJ website about it. thanks

I think you cant get need-based aid without it, but you can get everything else. I didn't and got my package fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only a couple weeks, but its just a simple estimate.

Ok cool - I never had to do financial aid for undergrad so this whole thing is a bit alien to me. Thanks for the help

Alien to me as well. It just basically will say they can give you 8500 subsidized and up to 47k and change when you include in the unsubsidized. I think it is pretty much the same for everyone that isn't getting need-based. It is a no brainer to take the $8500 even if you had someone paying for your entire education since it is free money for 4 years with no interest. The unsubsidized part of the loans don't seem to be too great. I think you can probably get a better loan if you are fortunate to have a parent who would get you one. You can get rates at like 3% instead of 7.

Which loans can our parents get that are 3%? Are they need based?

Also the cost of attendance on the UMDNJ financial aid website is about 60k. The most we can get is 47k? Unfortunately, my entire education will with student loans and I was hoping to live in a 1 BR at west market. I was expecting my first year to cost me around 50k (with some cushion), so 47k might be cutting it close.

You are not alone...

i hit up a local clinic for the health forms, got everything done for a pretty moderate price (~$180 for physical, lab tests, PPD, shots.) that's what i recommend for those who are broke without insurance.

i sent in all my FinAid stuff at the beginning of the month and am still waiting for my packet. did anyone else receive a "preliminary award letter" letter in the mail?

Also the cost of attendance on the UMDNJ financial aid website is about 60k. The most we can get is 47k?

47k is all you can get before you get into grad plus loans which depend on your credit. So you can get more, just check that your credit is above the minimum.

Which loans can our parents get that are 3%? Are they need based?

I am talking about loans that are based on equity your parents or relative may have and be willing to sign off on. You wouldn't get a loan like that through the financial aid office.

I see like a home equity loan. Wouldn't repayment on those loans start right away though? I thought most people would take those loans at the end of medical school and use them to pay off their med school debt and reduce their interest rates during residency.

Only the 8500 subsidized loan doesn't start accruing until after med school.

Also the cost of attendance on the UMDNJ financial aid website is about 60k. The most we can get is 47k? Unfortunately, my entire education will with student loans and I was hoping to live in a 1 BR at west market. I was expecting my first year to cost me around 50k (with some cushion), so 47k might be cutting it close.
You can save $$ by living off campus and sharing a place. The UMDNJ housing is a rip off considering some of the options for shared accomodation in the surrounding towns. Cutting $200-300 a month is a huge savings IMO

For those of you worried about the cost of physical/ppd/testing, I would call the student health office and explain your situation. I know they do the physicals and testing there, and I think it is either very cheap or free (aside from lab fees).

For those of you worried about the cost of physical/ppd/testing, I would call the student health office and explain your situation. I know they do the physicals and testing there, and I think it is either very cheap or free (aside from lab fees).

that was the first thing i did. i explained my situation (broke, no insurance) to the guy in charge of pre-matriculation health reqs and he basically said they can't do anything about that, the responsibility for payment of those costs lies with the student.

i.e. if you can't pay for it, tough ****, find a way to pay for it.

Is there any way you can post the link to the website where they have the projected costs and that for 2011-2012 year??

Does anyone know how the university housing works for those of us who are not sure if we will actually be attending or not yet? Do we sign up somewhere anyway?

Does anyone know how the university housing works for those of us who are not sure if we will actually be attending or not yet? Do we sign up somewhere anyway?

I lived in 180 while I did my Masters at UMDNJ, and I remember Val O'Connor (the housing manager) saying that you have to fill out the housing app and pay the fee even if you aren't sure. Call him if you have questions; he's a good guy to talk to.

To all my fellow waitlisters, I met with Ms. Rivero last week, and she wanted me to let you guys know that you are more than welcome to come in and talk to her or Dr. Heinrich about your application. She also told me to point out that NJMS had an awesome Match Day (UMDNJ schools overall were 99.5%!). The results should be up soon, so keep checking for that if you're interested!

Anyone else hear anything about when we might be seeing a match list?

Here are the match lists for those who are interested.

Attachments

• Match 2011 Summary.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Match_Specialty 2011.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 95
Just got my financial aid letter - they say my initial award is $42k, yet COA is approx $60k, and I thought the cap on subsidized loans was like $47k. Am I mistaken?

Edit - I saw above the cap was $47k, how preliminary is this initial award? anyone have a clue?

Just got my financial aid letter - they say my initial award is $42k, yet COA is approx $60k, and I thought the cap on subsidized loans was like $47k. Am I mistaken?

Edit - I saw above the cap was $47k, how preliminary is this initial award? anyone have a clue?

I recieved something in the mail that had like two sentences and told me I could get 42K too. Is this, THE financial aid letter? I was thinking it would have a lot more information, including the tuition for 2011-2012. I would also like to know how preliminary this award is. Also, do schools have to release the 2011-2012 tuition rate before May 15th?

does anyone know if we HAVE to write a formal withdraw letter to schools we got accepted to but do not plan on attending?

Saly24, I actually just sent an email last week stating that I wanted to withdraw my acceptance... they acknowledged the email... in the end, they can print the email and use that as a formal letter/ proof of resignation..

I'm still curious though if the deposit is refundable.... I mentioned in my email that I wanted it refunded, but i remember that they avoided to state whether or not it was actually a refundable deposit when my acceptance letter came in. does anyone know the details about this?

Thanks

Saly24, I actually just sent an email last week stating that I wanted to withdraw my acceptance... they acknowledged the email... in the end, they can print the email and use that as a formal letter/ proof of resignation..

I'm still curious though if the deposit is refundable.... I mentioned in my email that I wanted it refunded, but i remember that they avoided to state whether or not it was actually a refundable deposit when my acceptance letter came in. does anyone know the details about this?

Thanks

Actually, you don't have to worry. The AAMC states that:

1) The acceptance deposit cannot be greater than $100

AND

2) The deposit must be refundable until May 15.

A check, along with a letter and survey, should arrive from UMDNJ (on behalf of NJMS) in a few weeks. I received the refund a number of weeks after I sent Dean Heinrich a withdraw letter.

Boogiebee,

also do you have to send an email formally accepting a seat in the class of does the deposit take care of that

i called the admissions office and found out fin aid awards won't be sent out until the beginning of june. this makes life difficult for people who have to choose between schools.

i called the admissions office and found out fin aid awards won't be sent out until the beginning of june. this makes life difficult for people who have to choose between schools.

june???? ive just been waiting around for the fin aid letters. gah!

is there a second look planned?

june???? ive just been waiting around for the fin aid letters. gah!

is there a second look planned?

not that i'm aware of. the admissions office says you can schedule a visit and tour with a current student, it's kind of like a quick and dirty second look. i also got an e-mail for another accepted student's luncheon in june.

Gave up my seat today. Hope it helps someone, however indirectly, get the the acceptance they've been dreaming of. Best of luck, all.

I'm kind of late with this reply and I may be wrong, but I thought if you apply ED you can still apply to other schools in June like you normally would. The only difference is if you are accepted then you must withdraw your other applications, but if you are not accepted ED then you go into the regular applicant pool and are still in other schools' pools. Can anyone clarify on this?

I met with Dean Heinrich and he told me to consider applying early decision next cycle so I am most likely going to go ahead with it because NJMS is my top choice.

I haven't ever applied ED, so my knowledge is based on just simply reading some stuff online. But the clear consensus seems to be that if you are rejected ED, you end up having your applications complete at all other schools around early October after you receive your ED decision. Being complete that late is close to a death sentence as applications go, since many schools may never even get around to reading your app and when they do there will be very few interview spots available. And then if you do get an interview, it will be late in the cycle and often for a waitlist spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.