2010-2011 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey I read the first page of the thread, and just to confirm (since i had to gather bits and pieces from different postings):

There are no secondary questions if you are in state, except for one asking what you did with your time off?

Could someone post the exact questions? Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Just to put timing in perspective. I had my interview on 10/19, and got the call on 12/4. Had to wait 6+ weeks, but well worth it. Be patient and excited. I will see those that were accepted on the 7th of January. Looking very forward to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh, I've been telling people that I got accepted into NJMS cause I was 100% sure I would.
I interviewed first week of September, but I still haven't heard back from NJMS.

I called NJMS admissions office today and the lady said that she's not allowed to give decisions over the phone, but scheduled me to a meeting at the end of next week with either Dr. Heinrich or Dr. Rivero.

I guess I just get ready for the next cycle?

ugh, I've been telling people that I got accepted into NJMS cause I was 100% sure I would.
I interviewed first week of September, but I still haven't heard back from NJMS.

I called NJMS admissions office today and the lady said that she's not allowed to give decisions over the phone, but scheduled me to a meeting at the end of next week with either Dr. Heinrich or Dr. Rivero.

probably never a good idea to tell people you're accepted before you officially are. nothing is ever 100% in this process. even if you feel like your interview went perfectly. so many factors go into the admissions committee's decision. hopefully you meeting with the dean goes well. try not to get too stressed out. hopefully you're continuing to build your application this year in case you do need to reapply? good luck

Yea, probably not a good idea. You need to play down your chances and then act surprised when you are accepted, even if you expected to get in.

A lapse of judgment, to say the least. If I were you, I would consider telling those "people" that you misled/misinformed them and apologize for it. You'll save yourself some embarrassment later if you don't end up getting accepted.

Best of luck.

I kinda got misled by my interviewer who directly said I would get accepted to the school. I only told a few people and I mentioned that bit at the end.

But, regardless, I will speak to Dean Heinrich about what options I have for this cycle, which is unlikely that there are any.

Weird that they scheduled a meeting without giving ever giving you a decision. Could it be that this is like your second interview, like some people have been set up for? Did you ask for a meeting or just ask why you had not heard yet?

I haven't heard anything from NJMS. I just called today to ask what the decision was, and after taking my information, someone at the admissions office said she was not allowed to inform of decision over the phone. But she said she'll schedule an appointment with Dean Heinrich for me and so I took that.
I know acceptances have been going out for a while, what about rejections? Have those letters started going out?

I wouldn't get too upset until you speak with Dr. Heinrich. I don't know that they would schedule you to talk with the dean just to tell you sorry your rejected. They could send a letter for that. I have seen many people on this thread that were asked to come in for a second interview, or that they wanted some additional info before making a decision. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I also interviewed in the middle of October and have not heard anything. I called about a week ago and they just said a decision has not been made yet. Idk if I'm in the same boat as you or my app is just taking longer or what.

did anyone get a call last night??

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they ever have any accepted student events on weekends? I would have loved to go to the breakfast or the lunch, but I have already used up almost all of my vacation days at work, and I have a few more interviews to go (oy).

Accepted! Got the call last night. Interviewed 11/8 and OOS.

quick question, if you are on waiting lists and/or have other acceptances, do you have to let the other schools know your decision about which school you plan on attending?

quick question, if you are on waiting lists and/or have other acceptances, do you have to let the other schools know your decision about which school you plan on attending?

you don't. :)

Did you other acceptancees get the Certphi background check email. New Jersey Medical School doesn't look like it is even on the list of participating schools, but is my only acceptance so far.

yup i'll be at the accepted students luncheon tomorrow... provided the snow is NBD

Because of all the "heavy snowfall" reports, I decided not to go. For those of you who did, what useful information was discussed?

I was at the lunch today. It was pretty impressive how many people showed up! A couple hundred accepted students were there. They had speakers and pre-lunch tours.

A major thing that was announced was that starting with the the class of 2015, NJMS is going Pass/Fail for pre-clinical years. They just decided on it, and people applauded the announcement. Pretty exciting!

EDIT to add: We also were fitted for our white coats. :D

Last edited:
does anyone know if NJMS gives scholarships? it's a state school, but it seems like they dont have a tremendous amount of funding. just curious, so any input would be appreciated

Hey guys, first time posting in this thread. I applied via the EDP and was accepted back in August. I'm sure I met a quite a few of you during the luncheon on Friday. I was wondering if anyone has started a FB group yet for networking and whatnot.

Hey guys, first time posting in this thread. I applied via the EDP and was accepted back in August. I'm sure I met a quite a few of you during the luncheon on Friday. I was wondering if anyone has started a FB group yet for networking and whatnot.

not sure i've seen one yet for this class

Wierd, since NJMS is not on the list of participating schools. Are you sure it's not from another school?

They are, I called AMCAS and if you recheck your application where you add schools, they are listed there as requiring the check.

does anyone know if NJMS gives scholarships? it's a state school, but it seems like they dont have a tremendous amount of funding. just curious, so any input would be appreciated

There are scholarships for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students that you can apply for. At least I think that is what I heard.

I really enjoyed the luncheon too.

I haven't seen one. Someone should make one. Shotty not me.

alright everyone I just made the facebook group. NJMS 2015. Post away.

I haven't heard anything from NJMS. I just called today to ask what the decision was, and after taking my information, someone at the admissions office said she was not allowed to inform of decision over the phone. But she said she'll schedule an appointment with Dean Heinrich for me and so I took that.
I know acceptances have been going out for a while, what about rejections? Have those letters started going out?

With all the holidays and everything, I didn't have my meeting with Dr. Heinrich until early this week. Basically he said that he was hoping I would get in, but he doesn't have much sway over the admission's committee's decisions. We talked for an hour or so on how I can improve. He suggested that I apply through EDP next cycle if I'm still interested in NJMS.

I guess that's the only option I have as of right now. Congrats to everyone else for making it! Hope I get in this coming cycle.

With all the holidays and everything, I didn't have my meeting with Dr. Heinrich until early this week. Basically he said that he was hoping I would get in, but he doesn't have much sway over the admission's committee's decisions. We talked for an hour or so on how I can improve. He suggested that I apply through EDP next cycle if I'm still interested in NJMS.

I guess that's the only option I have as of right now. Congrats to everyone else for making it! Hope I get in this coming cycle.

So does that mean the committee didn't make a decision yet?

So does that mean the committee didn't make a decision yet?

No, the committee rejected me. I completed my interview on the 14th of sept.

No, the committee rejected me. I completed my interview on the 14th of sept.

Oh. Before you said you hadn't heard anything, and were just told to have a meeting with Dr. Heinrich.

I was in your shoes last year. I had my interview and didn't hear back, so I met with Dean Heinrich and he told me that my chances of getting in weren't the best. He told me to keep doing well in the masters program I was in and to apply via the EDP. I applied this past May (via EDP), interviewed in mid July and was accepted on August first. If he suggests you do the EDP I would recommend going through with it, it's pretty competitive and he wouldn't suggest it to you if you weren't already a strong candidate.

titan, which masters program were you in

I did the masters of biomedical science (non-thesis track) at the GSBS at UMDNJ, that was a big part of me getting into NJMS

i just withdrew my acceptance from NJMS today, hope my spot goes to one of you still waiting! :thumbup:

Oh. Before you said you hadn't heard anything, and were just told to have a meeting with Dr. Heinrich.
Yeah, Dr. Heinrich told me what was going on. But I kinda had the idea that I wasn't getting in anyways.

I was in your shoes last year. I had my interview and didn't hear back, so I met with Dean Heinrich and he told me that my chances of getting in weren't the best. He told me to keep doing well in the masters program I was in and to apply via the EDP. I applied this past May (via EDP), interviewed in mid July and was accepted on August first. If he suggests you do the EDP I would recommend going through with it, it's pretty competitive and he wouldn't suggest it to you if you weren't already a strong candidate.

I haven't heard back from any of the 11 other schools applied to. I will definitely apply again using EDP. Someone had said that if a admission's director or someone of that sort suggests you apply through EDP, your chances are pretty strong. I gotta improve my application in the meantime and touch up on what Dr. Heinrich had told me to do.

Back to the drawing board. :mad:

Officially withdrew today... good luck to the person that gets my spot!
:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Hey all,
hope the application process is finding you well. i was just waitlisted to njms, and i was wondering if anyone else is in the same position and/or knows anything about the process this year. i'd appreciate any information or tips that any of you have to offer to get off the waitlist. thank you!

Hey all,
hope the application process is finding you well. i was just waitlisted to njms, and i was wondering if anyone else is in the same position and/or knows anything about the process this year. i'd appreciate any information or tips that any of you have to offer to get off the waitlist. thank you!

When did you interview? You can look over last years NJMS thread. Appears the waitlist did not move too much. I only saw one person say they got off the waitlist.

Hey all,

I haven't been put on any waitlists yet, so unfortunately I can't help you out with strategies. However, there is probably a lot of information available on this site if you do a quick search.

When did you interview at NJMS and how did you find out about being placed on the waitlist? Was it through an email?

I actually interviewed on october 13th and e-mailed them at the end of november regarding my status. they sent back that they had sent me an e-mail on october 29th saying I had been put on the waitlist but I never got that e-mail.

i interviewed in january. i did receive an email to notify me of this update. i've looked around this site quite a bit, and i'm not sure how much the waitlist moves. i think it varies by year.

is anyone else still waiting to hear back from them? when did you all interview?

Has anyone seen or heard about the dorms that are right by the NJMS campus? What have you heard or seen?

Has anyone seen or heard about the dorms that are right by the NJMS campus? What have you heard or seen?

I've heard that they are much more expensive than the alternative housing options, but are generally a good idea for the first year. Ridiculously safe and convenient, although I've heard there are fairly strict rules.

I've heard that they are much more expensive than the alternative housing options, but are generally a good idea for the first year. Ridiculously safe and convenient, although I've heard there are fairly strict rules.

I didn't know "ridiculously safe" existed in Newark. I guess it is convenient though to be right there and also nice when everyone lives around the same area in the first year while we are still strangers.

Is anyone worried about living in Newark and traveling into the city each weekend to visit people, go out, etc and coming back late at night or in the early AM? It almost seems like it would be better to live in the city and travel to Newark. Then, the trip would be made in the morning. Has anyone thought about this, seems to be the downside of the school? Althought rent in the city is obviously a major downer.

i interviewed in january. i did receive an email to notify me of this update. i've looked around this site quite a bit, and i'm not sure how much the waitlist moves. i think it varies by year.

is anyone else still waiting to hear back from them? when did you all interview?

I'm still waiting to hear. I interviewed on 12/16, kinda weird that you were January and heard back so quickly. I was in contact with the admissions office last week and they said my application just went under review with the committee and the end of last week. I guess they don't do it chronologically... Either way, I'm really hoping to hear back soon, its been a loooong 8 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.