2016-2017 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
60% of those interviewed get accepted based on the US News Rankings. Based on this, I feel like the interview hold a lot of weight at NJMS.

FYI it's been > 5.5 (Christmas/NYE holiday included) weeks since we interviewed :nailbiting:

Someone I know in the program heard back at exactly 6 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

FYI it's been > 5.5 (Christmas/NYE holiday included) weeks since we interviewed :nailbiting:

Someone I know in the program heard back at exactly 6 weeks

Haha yeah. I worried too much about my previous interviews and it consumed my life. I approached this one with whatever happens, happens. I've been trying to catch up on things I've always wanted to do to keep busy though, in case it does take the 12 weeks they said it might.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone have any stats on what percentage of interviewees get an acceptance here?

According to a Reddit pre-med forum that you can probably find using your Googles: 648 interviews, 385 acceptances, 178 matriculants ; 59% acceptance rate after interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Safe to assume that the alternate list is a soft rejection?

Safe to assume that the alternate list is a soft rejection?

There is some movement off the priority waitlist, but the majority of those on it won't get on. The regular waitlist is pretty much a rejection though.

Almost all of rhem

I don't think so. They interview until March and people from November and December still haven't gotten any news. Some people have wait 12 weeks for an acceptance so even those who interviewed in October are still waiting. It's probably half or a little over half that have gone out at this point.

I don't think so. They interview until March and people from November and December still haven't gotten any news. Some people have wait 12 weeks for an acceptance so even those who interviewed in October are still waiting. It's probably half or a little over half that have gone out at this point.

My mistake, I was referring to interviews. I have no clue about post II numbers

I was under the impression over half of acceptances come from early decision at this school.

I was under the impression over half of acceptances come from early decision at this school.

At the meeting with Dr. Heinrich in Nov for GSBS students he said 48 students had been accepted via early decision this year.

At the meeting with Dr. Heinrich in Nov for GSBS students he said 48 students had been accepted via early decision this year.

Ohh maybe it's closer to a 3rd then. That's weird though I could have sworn someone official told me that, like Garrett or something. But even if they accepted 50 ED (who are all basically guaranteed to matriculate) that wouldn't translate to a significant percentage of acceptances because I assume they give out more RD acceptances than seats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else in the GSBS program with the requirements still getting no love?

Anyone else in the GSBS program with the requirements still getting no love?

Hey man if you're a GSBS student and you meet the requirements you should email Ms. Rivero, Dean Heinrich or Dr. Garrett ASAP and figure out what's up. It's February now and the last batch of IIs are gonna go out in the next few weeks.

What are the requirements? certain MCAT and GPA cutoff?
Hey man if you're a GSBS student and you meet the requirements you should email Ms. Rivero, Dean Heinrich or Dr. Garrett ASAP and figure out what's up. It's February now and the last batch of IIs are gonna go out in the next few weeks.

Welp just realized they have 127 cutoffs in each section with a 508 composite as minimum guaranteed interview, whereas before it was just a 30 with no subsection requirements. I have a 126 in cars -_-

Welp just realized they have 127 cutoffs in each section with a 508 composite as minimum guaranteed interview, whereas before it was just a 30 with no subsection requirements. I have a 126 in cars -_-

I have a 126 in one section... shoot

Honestly, I think if your overall score is solid, I doubt they will penalize you for a 126. Wouldn't hurt to try and send an email regardless :)

Dude you might as well try anyway. You got nothing to lose. If you don't, you have no chance at a II but at least if you email one of them you might have a shot.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if this school is still sending out IIs?

I actually got in with a 126 in CARS. So that shouldn't disqualify you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Edit: Actually just saw it was for the special program alone. Which I wasn't a part of lol. Sorry

good to know people get in with a 126 subsection score. Has anybody gotten an II with a 508? Non-URM

Interviewing here tomorrow, anyone have any advice? Would love to be able to go here

Interviewing here tomorrow, anyone have any advice? Would love to be able to go here

If you have the afternoon interview then pay attention to the stuff you learn on the tour. It is a great chance to learn more about the school (which is an awesome school) and you can use this in your interview as well. Ask your tour guides a lot of questions so you're more knowledgeable. And be relaxed. My interviewers and tour guides were really nice so hopefully it's the same for you. Good luck and I hope you kill it!

good to know people get in with a 126 subsection score. Has anybody gotten an II with a 508? Non-URM
I am ORM and had a 508. Had perfect undergard grades tho. I was accepted ED.

Reactions: 1 users
Are they only interviewing for waitlist now or are there still seats left in the class?

Are they only interviewing for waitlist now or are there still seats left in the class?

There's still some seats left. The waitlist doesn't have much movement here so it's unlikely that they interview for it

quick question did anyone get a Criminal background check email, before actually being waitlisted or accepted?

Last edited:
quick question did anyone get a Criminal background check email, before actually being waitlisted or accepted?
Did this happen to you? I've heard of this at other schools when someone's been accepted and they haven't been notified yet.

Did this happen to you? I've heard of this at other schools when someone's been accepted and they haven't been notified yet.
Yeah!! now I'm about to call every medical school!

I have a 126 in one section... shoot

I had a 126 in CARS, and my undergraduate grades were NOT perfect...I know people with 510-513s who still haven't gotten interviews. When NJMS (and other schools) looks at GSBS, they look for improvement, not just seeing if you meet the minimum.

I had a 126 in CARS, and my undergraduate grades were NOT perfect...I know people with 510-513s who still haven't gotten interviews. When NJMS (and other schools) looks at GSBS, they look for improvement, not just seeing if you meet the minimum.

I'm a regular applicant not in GSBS

I'm a regular applicant not in GSBS

Oh, I guess I was referring to the 'minimum guaranteed interview'..but honestly I think how they look at MCAT scores varies from person to person regardless.

Anyone know if interviews will still be handed out?

I got my II last year at the beginning of March, so I wouldn't give up just yet. However, I'm pretty sure I was in the last batch.

I have an interview here next week. Does anyone have any tips? do we get an email before hand with our interviewer's name? thanks!

I have an interview here next week. Does anyone have any tips? do we get an email before hand with our interviewer's name? thanks!

Expect the common interview questions.

No, they do not send an email with the interviewer's name. You are told when you check-in.

I got my II last year at the beginning of March, so I wouldn't give up just yet. However, I'm pretty sure I was in the last batch.
They emailed you about an Interview the beginning of March? Or your interview date was at that time? This def. reassaures me. I don't care if I'm the very last as long as I get one lol.

They emailed you about an Interview the beginning of March? Or your interview date was at that time? This def. reassaures me. I don't care if I'm the very last as long as I get one lol.

They emailed me with the interview invite on 3/4. Had my interview on 3/10.

Has anyone in the GSBS program who applied regular decision been accepted yet this cycle?

Are they still interviewing has anyone gotten a rejection?

I haven't heard from them since my interview December 15th. should I expect that to be a rejection?

What's the average USMLE step 1 score for njms?

I scored a 516 and no interview here. IS

Does anyone know when their interviews end here?
Is it mid- March?