2010-2011 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for helping us all out. :) Out of curiosity, is there anything specifically in your education at Georgetown that you would highlight? For example, what did you find unique about your third-year clerkships?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for helping us all out. :) Out of curiosity, is there anything specifically in your education at Georgetown that you would highlight? For example, what did you find unique about your third-year clerkships?

The content of the clerkships is going to be reasonably similar anywhere you go as you have basic requirements that you have to meet (medicine, ob, peds, surgery, psych, etc). What I think is special about g'town is that they place a lot of emphasis on taking ownership of our patients early on. We write all of the notes, present all of the patients each morning with the residents and on teaching rounds (which happen almost daily on some services - not the rule everywhere you go) with the attendings. We are encouraged to take a high level of initiative early on. We're expected to be well read and prepared; and to be present, always. I've seen first hand how little med students can get away with doing on the wards at other places, and how much time they spend either in lectures or hidden away from the team and it would just never fly at g'town. I ran into a graduate today at my interview who is now a chief resident, and she commented that she knows georgetown students are often more useful than some of the interns she's had to work with, and it was mystifying to her at first that not everyone was "brought up" the way we are. Dean Mitchell often comments that G'town students match very well because even if we're not traditionally thought of as top tier, program directors know damn well how well we're taught, the expectations we've been held to and how fast we hit the ground running.

Accepted today via phone! Interviewed 11/5/10. 33Q/3.7

Members don't see this ad :)
Dean Mitchell often comments that G'town students match very well because even if we're not traditionally thought of as top tier, program directors know damn well how well we're taught, the expectations we've been held to and how fast we hit the ground running.

This was a big selling point for me--good to hear your own experience bears it out. I was also thinking about the donor Mass (curiously enough, while at Mass) and thought it was very reflective of the school's philosophy.

Now, if only I knew if I were actually accepted or not... :(

Accepted!!
Just got the email: "A decision has been made regarding your application"

My heart stopped, cause I couldn't find that app yourself number and then the server seemed to be having problems. It was forever until I could pull up the news!

So relieved. Anyway, here are some stats: 36/ just a shade <3.5 / gtown alum. Interviewed 11/11

My girlfriend's in her first year in a phd program here so there are very few schools that I'd turn down georgetown for, but I have interviewed at one or two...

Last edited:
Just got accepted as well!! I interviewed way back on Oct 21st. I definitely wouldn't mind living in DC for four years!

Can I hear back from my Oct 1st interview already????:confused:

Yeah, I was skipped over too. Nov. 9. I hope we don't get strung along until May 15th. mmm...

Interviewed Nov 1, no word. My friend interviewed Nov 3 and no word either.

Interviewed Nov 1, no word. My friend interviewed Nov 3 and no word either.

I guess decisions aren't made 100% chronologically. Because the two above, one interviewed after us. I'm getting paranoid.

Accepted this morning, Interviewed 11/11. mcat 36, 3.7gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I hear back from my Oct 1st interview already????:confused:

That sounds like something you might want to email Ms. Sullivan about. I know she told us to email her if we didn't hear back in a certain time-frame, and I think you qualify. Good luck!

Also, I don't mean to scare people, but does Gtown send out its acceptances before its rejections in each batch? I looked back at the Nov. 1st batch and the gleeful acceptance announcements seemed to lead a string of rejection announcements. Likewise, today is all acceptances. Who knows, maybe accepted people want to shout it to the world while rejected people absorb reality for a bit. Anyone know anything about this? I need to know whether to freak out.

Last edited:
I interviewed 10/28 and haven't heard anything and neither has my boyfriend who interviewed about a week later. I'm a bit surprised people from November are hearing this soon though because we were told not to expect anything until January. Here's hoping that those of us who were skipped over hear back soon...

Ms. Sullivan did make it a point during my interview day to inform us that they NEVER send out "bad news" aka rejections right before ANY holiday....xmas, new years, even mothers day. Soooo my guess is the good news went out and and bad news will wait a bit longer.....

That sounds like something you might want to email Ms. Sullivan about. I know she told us to email her if we didn't hear back in a certain time-frame, and I think you qualify. Good luck!

Also, I don't mean to scare people, but does Gtown send out its acceptances before its rejections in each batch? I looked back at the Nov. 1st batch and the gleeful acceptance announcements seemed to lead a string of rejection announcements. Likewise, today is all acceptances. Who knows, maybe accepted people want to shout it to the world while rejected people absorb reality for a bit. Anyone know anything about this? I need to know whether to freak out.

I called Mrs. Sullivan and asked her when I should expect to hear back (interviewed Nov 1). She said they've been having a lot of computer problems with many applicant files. She said they haven't reached my file yet and I should maybe hear back the second week in Jan (she originally told our group we'd hear back end of Dec-first week in Jan). So between the computer failure and the holidays intervening, a lot of people will probably get their decisions later than expected.

I called Mrs. Sullivan and asked her when I should expect to hear back (interviewed Nov 1). She said they've been having a lot of computer problems with many applicant files. She said they haven't reached my file yet and I should maybe hear back the second week in Jan (she originally told our group we'd hear back end of Dec-first week in Jan). So between the computer failure and the holidays intervening, a lot of people will probably get their decisions later than expected.

thanks for letting us know.

Ms. Sullivan did make it a point during my interview day to inform us that they NEVER send out "bad news" aka rejections right before ANY holiday....xmas, new years, even mothers day. Soooo my guess is the good news went out and and bad news will wait a bit longer.....

Do they consider waitlisting an applicant "bad news?"

Do they consider waitlisting an applicant "bad news?"

inasmuch as the last batch of people (interviewed around early november) have only received acceptances--no CAPs, no rejections--seems so. Even though, as Ms. Sullivan said, CAP is no death sentence by any means at gtown. it seems the best theory to explain what has occurred is that, indeed, gtown didn't want to give "bad news" before the holidays, and thus people who interviewed ~nov1 and haven't heard are probably CAP or R.

inasmuch as the last batch of people (interviewed around early november) have only received acceptances--no CAPs, no rejections--seems so. Even though, as Ms. Sullivan said, CAP is no death sentence by any means at gtown. it seems the best theory to explain what has occurred is that, indeed, gtown didn't want to give "bad news" before the holidays, and thus people who interviewed ~nov1 and haven't heard are probably CAP or R.

Agreed

Int'd Oct20, no word. I call shenanigans on the computer maulfunction story and expect to get waitlisted or the big R.

I don't think that's the case. The three people from my interview group who posted here have either gotten rejected or waitlisted, so I don't think the fact that my application is being dragged along this far is because of the decision. I may as well be rejected or CAP'd but I highly doubt the long wait has got anything to do with it. I called admissions a week after when interview results from my group came out and was told that my interviewer/ my file didn't make it to the adcom review it was supposed to, so I will be receiving results in the next batch (mid December). When November results came out, and I was still in limbo, I called admissions and emailed Sullivan and expressed my concern. I was told by both that the delay has got nothing do with my application and more to do with computer system problems. I was told I may hear back on the 18-21st of Dec but more likely in the new year.

Yeah she said my group was supposed to be Dec 16thish, but there have been some major computer issues. She said if I haven't heard back by Jan. 10 to call. I was early Nov.

Well of the two apparent reasons for a delay right now, I hope mine is a result of computer issues. In the case that I get CAP'd though, does anyone know whether the letter we send is supposed to be a letter of intent, or whether it should be simply a letter of immense continued interest? I haven't made a decision yet as to which school is my top choice (assuming I even have a choice). Do you guys think that difference will play a strong role in who they select from the competitive applicant pool?

Just got an e-mail update, checked app center and -- sure enough -- rejection! First post-interview rejection of the cycle. I am definitely confused, but I am seeing myself less and less on the East Coast for med school, so this is not too disappointing for me. Good luck to everyone else!

competitive applicant pooled this morning...interviewed 10/15

CAP as well. Interviewed last week of October. Time to get that letter ready.

CAP'd

Given that we've only heard R's and CAPs today, there is more evidence for the notion that they knew this in December but waited to tell me till now...

Anyway, glad it wasn't the big R.

ChemMasc, did you finally get your decision? If not, you should really call.

yup, CAP'd as well. I knew I didn't do too well in my interview, I have a feeling I came off a bit fake...:rolleyes: But on another note, I now have faith in the guy who said they don't give bad news before holidays (which I think is ridiculous...).

Time to write an LOI I guess. It's supposed to be addressed to the dean and sent to Sullivan right?

Yup, got the CAP also.....

I knew I wouldn't attend here at all after the interview because I cant stand the city life, but it's still annoying for them to sit on the decision for so long. I'd much prefer that they just tell us asap regardless of holidays. Oh well.

Good luck to the rest of you guys and gals. Oh and remember include in your letters not only why you want to go to the school, but how/why you would contribute to their class and how it would be beneficial for all parties involved. They also re-review your file each time you send a letter/file so keep em going.

does anyone know when people start to get in from the CAP?

does anyone know when people start to get in from the CAP?

The start pulling from the CAP in January. I believe I remember hearing January 15th, but not sure if that date's correct or not. But hopefully soon! :xf:

Just got the email notice of my application decision -- CAP'd. Interviewed mid-November.

Time to write an LOI I guess. It's supposed to be addressed to the dean and sent to Sullivan right?

I think I remember her saying to send it to the dean but to CC her on it? Does that mean they prefer email? Cause I would have assumed it would be better to send a hard copy.

The guide to application says:
"Select Pool Applicants
The Select Pool is our unranked waitlist. Applicants placed in this pool may submit additional information, including letters of recommendation. Additional materials can be uploaded via the Secondary Application. Please submit letters of recommendation via hard-copy directly to the Office of Admissions. These are the ONLY letters that are not to be submitted via the AMCAS System."

Does anybody else know?

Last edited:
I think email is better. That's what Mrs. Sullivan told me.

Last edited:
okay so I just got rejeceted last night too.

This might sound like a silly question but - People who are rejected shouldn't bother with the letter, correct?

I mean they will only be considering LOIs from student who are in the CAP right?

Any response would help.

Congrats to all those accepted but it seems like Gtown is rejecting other really good applicants too with like 36s and 3.7's. I wonder why.

okay so I just got rejeceted last night too.

This might sound like a silly question but - People who are rejected shouldn't bother with the letter, correct?

I mean they will only be considering LOIs from student who are in the CAP right?

Any response would help.

If you are hoping to get them to reverse their decision I think you stand a better chance of doing so by calling and speaking with Mrs. Sullivan. She's quite personable and will discuss your application frankly with you. She seems to readily accept calls.

Congrats to all those accepted but it seems like Gtown is rejecting other really good applicants too with like 36s and 3.7's. I wonder why.

They're assuming that such applicants will get in and attend elsewhere.

Got the acceptance email yesterday!!!!!!! Interviewed Nov-end.

I'm very surprised, considering my interview was 20 minutes long.

I think I remember her saying to send it to the dean but to CC her on it? Does that mean they prefer email? Cause I would have assumed it would be better to send a hard copy.

The guide to application says:
"Select Pool Applicants
The Select Pool is our unranked waitlist. Applicants placed in this pool may submit additional information, including letters of recommendation. Additional materials can be uploaded via the Secondary Application. Please submit letters of recommendation via hard-copy directly to the Office of Admissions. These are the ONLY letters that are not to be submitted via the AMCAS System."

Does anybody else know?

In the notes I took during her talk, I've written down that a letter should be written to the dean and emailed to both the dean and sullivan. I've also scribbled something about being persistent and sending multiple updates etc.

I withdrew my name from the CAP list btw...just to get that infinite list a tad bit shorter:cool:

As to email or not: email it. I made the mistake of sending them an update letter via snail mail right after I interviewed, and when I checked in with them 2 months later they still hadn't received it. (Or at least it didn't get sorted into my file.) So the bottom line is, email it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.