2010-2011 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone on CAP heard recently or have any idea when the next batch of acceptances will be? or, is the class pretty much full?

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering the same thing. Any CAPpers been accepted since the first batch in February?

anyone on CAP heard recently or have any idea when the next batch of acceptances will be? or, is the class pretty much full?

Wondering the same thing. Any CAPpers been accepted since the first batch in February?

I haven't heard anything about more CAPers being accepted since that first time. Which is kind of surprising, since Mrs. Sullivan made it seem like another wave was coming within a few weeks of that first time. Meh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I just saw it last week. We had a lot of people going into ortho (like 25), 6 going into neurosurgery (one at Mayo), a couple derm, a lot of radiology, then the usual rest of the breakdown. Most went on to big schools, in particular, U Chicago, Harvard, and Stanford. I don't really understand how we match so well. We are a great school and all but we tend to match much much better that would be expected by rankings. Hopefully this keeps up till I graduate. Anyone thinking about gtown should really look at the list and take that into consideration when making your decision.

I knew Gtown had good matching... bt didn't kno it was tht gud. Thx for lettin us kno... makes me hapier abt my choice :)

I haven't heard anything about more CAPers being accepted since that first time. Which is kind of surprising, since Mrs. Sullivan made it seem like another wave was coming within a few weeks of that first time. Meh.
so frustrating! gah!

oops I was gonna post this a while ago... but I think I gonna withdraw from the CAP, good luck to everyone who's still waiting!

Anyone here go to second look? I couldn't make it so I'm wondering what I missed out on...

Anyone here go to second look? I couldn't make it so I'm wondering what I missed out on...

I went on August 8th. It was a really good and helpful day. We sat in on 2 lectures and a small group taught by 4th years. They also had us spend some time in the anatomy lab with the 1st yrs. There were Q&A sessions with the Deans and with a bunch of very helpful 1st years too. Everyone had great things to say about the school and seemed like they really enjoyed it there. Finally we had a social with the first and second years at a campus bar and had some free beer. Definitely solidified my choice for Georgetown.

Withdrew last week so good luck to everyone still hoping for a spot! Plenty more will get lucky I'm sure. Cheers :)

Rejected today post-interview (3/1). This really really hurts (my number 1 school...)

Anyone know if re-applicants get extra love? haha

Has anyone tried to contact financial aid? I have been calling for two days and no one answers the phones for any of the provided numbers. I am trying to find out if the financial aid application needs to be postmarked or received by the 15th (tomorrow).

Has anyone tried to contact financial aid? I have been calling for two days and no one answers the phones for any of the provided numbers. I am trying to find out if the financial aid application needs to be postmarked or received by the 15th (tomorrow).

The only way I can get a hold of them is to call and leave a message. A lady called me back about 30 min later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got in off the CAP!! Notified this morning

just got accepted off the CAP this morning as well :love:
hope it was a big wave of people, good luck everyone!

I just got in off the CAP too!

Good luck to everyone still waiting! :xf:

congrats to everyone that's gotten in off the CAP list today! :)

care to share your stats, interview time frames, or how they notified you of your acceptance (email, phone, snail mail) for those of us still waiting?

got in off the cap today
international student 34Q

care to share your stats, interview time frames, or how they notified you of your acceptance (email, phone, snail mail) for those of us still waiting?

notified via email then had to log-in to check the actual decision.

GPA 3.8
MCAT 30
Interviewed in October
CAP'd in Jan.
emailed this morning about a status change! good luck to you!!

cGPA: 3.87
sGPA: 3.96
MCAT: 34Q

Interviewed early Jan.
CAP'd early Feb.

Got in today

notified via email then had to log-in to check the actual decision.
cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.33
MCAT: 34Q
SMP cGPA: 3.7

Canadian, Nontrad
Interviewed mid Feb
CAP'd early March
Accepted today.
:D

:luck:GOODLUCK:luck:

Does anyone know when we will start seeing financial aid packages?

Average MCAT and GPA. From Texas. Interviewed December, CAPd mid February. I just submitted my FAFSA stuff last week so hopefully will still get financial aid!

accepted april. (interviewed february and never CAP'd) stats at median

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Jewish life is like at Georgetown?

Does anyone know when we will start seeing financial aid packages?

I am assuming there is no award information available for anyone yet? It seems like an important detail to release before May 15th...

I am assuming there is no award information available for anyone yet? It seems like an important detail to release before May 15th...

I got award info, but I only applied for federal loans and not institutional aid. That's probably the hold up. Haven't heard of anyone hearing about that yet.

i applied for institutional aid and federal loans and got my award letter 2 weeks ago but I handed in all my financial info on march 1st. so maybe they're going in order?

Anyone who interviewed in March hear back yet? Even if it was a rejection/wait list?

Does anyone know what Jewish life is like at Georgetown?

My host was Jewish (as am I). She said seeing the jesuses was awkward at first but then she got used to it. There are Jewish groups too. I'm reform, so that was enough for me. I didn't ask further.

I withdrew my acceptance this week...good luck to those still waiting and those on the CAP. hopefully one of you SDNers will get notified soon!

Received my award package. Loans only...bleh. I applied at the last minute, so maybe that had something to do with it. Oh well, anyone recieve a package they're happy with?

Received my award package. Loans only...bleh. I applied at the last minute, so maybe that had something to do with it. Oh well, anyone recieve a package they're happy with?

Nope I haven't seen anything, and I only have a week before it's too late! Did the package arrive by mail?

I believe they've posted everyone's award notifications on "MyAccess." I applied for financial aid at the last minute on the last day, and mine was available several days ago, so all others should be as well.

i got all loans, too.. and my parents are not helping me out at all with school (nor are they wealthy by any standards). does anyone know if our financial aid packages are based on our parents' income for all four years of school? any idea if georgetown has any grants/scholarships available for 2nd, 3rd and 4th years?

right now i am trying to decide between georgetown and my state school (uconn).. i like georgetown, but it's also $100,000 more expensive (over four years). any advice? any fears about going to georgetown and paying for it all in loans?

Do you know where the award notification is under MyAccess? I've looked through almost all the links and haven't found it.

i got all loans, too.. and my parents are not helping me out at all with school (nor are they wealthy by any standards). does anyone know if our financial aid packages are based on our parents' income for all four years of school? any idea if georgetown has any grants/scholarships available for 2nd, 3rd and 4th years?

right now i am trying to decide between georgetown and my state school (uconn).. i like georgetown, but it's also $100,000 more expensive (over four years). any advice? any fears about going to georgetown and paying for it all in loans?

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I'm sure there are scholarships that we can apply for in M2-M4 years. In the big picture $100k is nothing.. so go to gtown!

Terran, did you find your aid package? Has anyone received grants and/or scholarships thus far? Maybe the economy has left them with less to offer in institutional aid.

Bailey, I don't know that I agree with IDreamt. Give it careful thought. You might call Mrs Sullivan. She's always receptive to calls and will discuss your choice with you exhaustively.

i know this might be a little late in the game, but can someone PLEASE tell me how they can look at georgetown's match list and call it "good" versus any other school? i keep hearing people say how good georgetown's match is year after year, but i have yet to learn how to actually deduce that for myself. thanks so much, guys!

Don't expect anything other than loans from G'town. I don't know of any of my classmates that did anything other than borrow the full amount unless they were on military scholarship or their parents were helping.

You don't need to provide your parent's info after the first year, but if you were hoping that means you will qualify for institutional aid without your parents income information on your forms, don't get your hopes up there either. Sorry. It's not a cheap school.

hey everyone--can any current gtown students help me out? i've heard mixed things about the way the curriculum is set up, so i just want to be absolutely clear about the schedule (as i am down to splitting hairs to determine if i should go to gtown or jeff and jeff has an awesome class/exam schedule--one sci class at 1x and exams always on fridays!).

from what I understand...

M1: You take one science class and one doctoring class at a time, such that you only need to study for one class at one time. Once you take an exam for that class, you're done with that class and then you're on to the next. Your exams are not necessarily on a schedule (i.e., it's not like you have an exam every third Tuesday or anything.. they're just scheduled whenever the class is over).

M2: You take multiple science classes and the doctoring class at a time, so you may be studying for one science exam and so have to put your other classes on the back burner a little bit and therefore may get behind, then another exam in another class will come so you'll need to play catch up, and on and on.

Both years, the first two years are graded Honors/HP/P/LP/Fail and the last two years are graded Honors/P/F. All grades are based on a curve.

Please correct me if I am wrong about anything; this is what I have gathered from the students with whom I have spoken.

Thanks so much!

I'm glad I didn't know about this site when I applied. I didn't finish my secondary until late December, didn't hear about an interview until mid January, didn't interview until mid March, and just got an acceptance last week.

Reading about all these people accepted in November and December would have been really discouraging. Best of luck to everyone who's still hoping to get in.

Declined my offer today to attend instate at UC San Diego. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

In case anyone from the SMP class of 2011 has been looking here, it appears the committee has begun issuing their decisions. Unfortunately, I was rejected outright.

Has anybody withdrawled their acceptance? Don't seem to see much CAP movement so far....

Accepted off the CAP this morning....email update at 5am EST.

WOOOOOOO Georgetown!!!

Interviewed Jan 11
CAP'd early March

Last edited:
Does anyone know why the loan fees in our 2011-12 budget is only 214? The loan fee is supposed to be 1% of staford loans and 4% of grad plus loans. My added loan fee comes close to $1700.

In case anyone from the SMP class of 2011 has been looking here, it appears the committee has begun issuing their decisions. Unfortunately, I was rejected outright.

Sorry to hear about that man. I'm currently still under review. When did you have your application sent to the committee? And what were your stats, if you don't mind sharing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.