2010-2011 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm wondering what us waitlisters should do re: financial aid. Do we still fill out that need access application and send our fafsa to Columbia or what?

You should if you are able just to speed things along.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, first post! I'm on the waitlist and considering writing a letter of intent but before I do, I want to know more about Columbia's new curriculum. When are the current M2s (who are the first class with the new curriculum) taking Step 1? I searched the forums and saw one source that said it's 12 months into rotations (in the middle of third year). Do students get time off to study?

How integrated into the curriculum are opportunities to study medical Spanish and public/global health?

You get 8 weeks but two are supposed to be vacation. You have until the end of february and are free starting in january. If brent and I didn't say something you can check the enormous post from a couple pages back. I would copy and paste but im unable to.

As a waitlisted applicant, I sent in a letter of interest/intent a couple weeks ago by regular mail. Should I expect confirmation that it was received? I know someone had mentioned that the Dean was out of the office for a couple weeks...just wondering if I should investigate this with an email or phone call to the office.

Members don't see this ad :)
@ current P&S students,

I realize that this question may have already come up, but to recap, on average how many students get off the waitlist?

And secondly, are phone calls to dean encouraged?

Thanks,

As a waitlisted applicant, I sent in a letter of interest/intent a couple weeks ago by regular mail. Should I expect confirmation that it was received? I know someone had mentioned that the Dean was out of the office for a couple weeks...just wondering if I should investigate this with an email or phone call to the office.
Hey, when did you send the letter? I sent one via Express last week and the postal tracking services confirmed the letter's arrival at the office on Tuesday last week. I called the office and apparently Dean Nicholas came back last Wednesday. I'm presuming that he has seen my letter by now, but I haven't heard anything back yet.
According to last year's posts, people who sent LOI's received confirmations from the office or the dean.

Has anyone else sent LOI's recently? If so did you hear anything back?
Thanks!!

I realize that this question may have already come up, but to recap, on average how many students get off the waitlist?

There's no way someone can answer this question. You have to realize that waitlist movement depends on how many of the people that were accepted outright decide not to attend Columbia. As you can imagine, since we're talking about a bunch of people making decisions, this depends on a billion different variables, which are different every single year.

call and ask, i got a confirmation by email but that's because the office now knows me by name & voice, as the guy whose mail is never delivered :(

(waitlisted applicant) Should updates be sent to the admissions office and addressed to the admissions committee or should they be to Dean Nicholas and sent directly to him (if so, what is his email?). Does Dean Nicholas individually control the waitlist or does the committee meet and vote for spots that become available? Thanks.

Hey, when did you send the letter? I sent one via Express last week and the postal tracking services confirmed the letter's arrival at the office on Tuesday last week. I called the office and apparently Dean Nicholas came back last Wednesday. I'm presuming that he has seen my letter by now, but I haven't heard anything back yet.
According to last year's posts, people who sent LOI's received confirmations from the office or the dean.

Has anyone else sent LOI's recently? If so did you hear anything back?
Thanks!!

Hey I sent an e-mail to the office of admissions as my "LOI" but I haven't heard anything back yet other than the automated "Thank you for your e-mail" e-mail. I sent this e-mail about 2-3 weeks ago.

But then again, he probably has a ton of letters of intent/interest on his desk and in his e-mail box so I'm sure he has a lot on his plate right now. I wouldn't worry about it :)

For those sending letters, the best you can expect to hear right now is a thank you for sending your letter. Waitlist movement will almost certainly not start until April, and even then it will likely be quite slow if it goes anything like past years. If you are concerned about whether the office received your letter, send them an email or give them a call...they will be happy to tell you.

If I recall correctly, I did not receive any response after my update letter. I later requested a 2nd interview in mid-April because I was in the city attending a conference. That interview was the first contact I had post-decision. Also, I think it probably doesn't matter who you address your letters to, but most people send them to Dr. Nicholas because he is in charge of the wait list.

Do you remember how much notice you had for the interview (especially those who lived in or near NYC) I would like to go away for a week in mid-April, but don't want to miss a chance to interview. I know for the regular interview they gave a specific date for the interview.

Do you remember how much notice you had for the interview (especially those who lived in or near NYC) I would like to go away for a week in mid-April, but don't want to miss a chance to interview. I know for the regular interview they gave a specific date for the interview.

I requested a specific date for an interview because I was going to be in the city. If they decide to call you (which I think they usually don't - most students have a 2nd interview as a result of their own request for one), they would not refuse you an interview because you are out of town for a week. Don't worry about it and enjoy your week off.

Second look for parents papers received today via snail mail. April 16th 9am to abot 4pm.

Is this a good thing for parents?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I sent an e-mail to the office of admissions as my "LOI" but I haven't heard anything back yet other than the automated "Thank you for your e-mail" e-mail. I sent this e-mail about 2-3 weeks ago.

But then again, he probably has a ton of letters of intent/interest on his desk and in his e-mail box so I'm sure he has a lot on his plate right now. I wouldn't worry about it :)

Hey, I called the office today. Apparently Dean Nicholas only went back to his office for one day last Wednesday and then went away again. The nice lady told me that he would be on vacation for another week. She also checked my file and made sure that all the letters I sent in were in my file. If you are concerned, just give them a call. I don't think he's had a chance to read any of our letters yet.

Keep the faith up, guys! :luck:

Realize that it's normal at this point for the waitlist to not change at all. Everybody is waiting until after April 15 to make their move. Two very important things happen on that day:

1. Columbia's revisit weekend occurs
2. Most schools start handing out scholarships and other monetary awards

Thus, mid-April is usually the turning point when most people who are holding onto multiple acceptances begin turning some of them down and zeroing towards their top choice schools. Tons of spots will start being vacated from that point on, upon which waitlist movement will officially begin. IMHO, the two biggest spikes in people getting accepted off the waitlist happen in the middle of April and again in the first half of May (when May 15th is approaching).

Keep the faith up, guys! :luck:

Realize that it's normal at this point for the waitlist to not change at all. Everybody is waiting until after April 15 to make their move. Two very important things happen on that day:

1. Columbia's revisit weekend occurs
2. Most schools start handing out scholarships and other monetary awards

Thus, mid-April is usually the turning point when most people who are holding onto multiple acceptances begin turning some of them down and zeroing towards their top choice schools. Tons of spots will start being vacated from that point on, upon which waitlist movement will officially begin. IMHO, the two biggest spikes in people getting accepted off the waitlist happen in the middle of April and again in the first half of May (when May 15th is approaching).
That's what I figure and I'm holding off on sending letters, updates, phone calls, etc. until then.

How do you request a 2nd interview with Dean Nicholas?

Does anyone know when we'll start to see financial aid packages?

I asked the fin-aid people, and they said they were hoping to have packages for folks by the end of the month.

How do you request a 2nd interview with Dean Nicholas?

You can send an email to the admissions office, but it might still be a little early for 2nd interviews. I suppose you could request for later in the month though.

Second look for parents papers received today via snail mail. April 16th 9am to abot 4pm.

Is this a good thing for parents?

Yes, I think its good but I wouldn't have them unload a ton of money to go unless their opinion is crucial to your final choice, like if you are deciding between two schools. It has some info sessions and a tour

updates, etc. better sent via snail mail or email? best addressed to Dean Nicholas I take it since he controls the waitlist?

updates, etc. better sent via snail mail or email? best addressed to Dean Nicholas I take it since he controls the waitlist?

Doesn't matter in either case, it gets to him regardless of mode or to whom you address it to. Yes he controls waitlist

Firstly, congrats (again) to all who have gotten in, and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear good news. Secondly, I hope you all are getting stoked about revisit... word on the street is that it will be amazing. ;)

And lastly and most spam-like (actually, totally spam-like), I am selling a butt-load of textbooks, review books, and clinical clerkship question books. Some of the review books are most relevant to students entering their clinical years, but others (like Cutler's Psych book and Martin's Neuroanatomy) were required texts for us first/second year. Everything is $5 or best offer. I'll be around during revisit... if something on the list catches your eye, PM me. Also included is list of literature/random books which were a decent read, but not great enough for me to wish to move to Boston.

$5 each, or best offer.

School Texts

The Medical Interview: Coulehan and Block
Illustrated Medical Biochemistry: Raju and Madala
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple: Gladwin and Trattler
MedEssentials: USMLE Step 1 Review
High Yield Embryology
Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Qbook: third edition
The Pediatric Cardiology Handbook: fourth edition
Case Files: Pediatrics
PreTest Medicine: twelfth edition
Case Files: OBGyn, third edition
Psychiatry: Cutler and Marcus
Blueprints: Neurology
Basic Immunology: third edition, Abbas and Lichtman
Understanding Health Policy: A Clinical Approach, Bodenheim & Grumback
Board Review Series: Physiology 4th edition, Costanzo
Board Review Series: Pathology 4th edition, Schneider and Szanto
Blueprints Psychiatry
Blueprints Pediatrics
PreTest Psychiatry, 11th edition
PreTest Family Medicine, 2nd edition
2 Human Brain Coloring Books
McGraw-Hill's Complete Medical Spanish
Neuroanatomy Text and Atlas, John Martin

Literature/Fun Reading (edit: no judging my weakness for crappy British literature and smutty historical narratives).

The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers, Thomas Fleming (sounds sexier than really is)
The Unruly Queen: The Life of Queen Caroline, Flora Fraser
Vanity Fair, Thackeray
War and Peace, Tolstoy
The Chanter of Tremaris Trilogy, Kate Constable
Ruth, Elizabeth Gaskell
The Ring of Solomon, Jonathan Stroud
Atonement, Ian McEwan
Coraline, Neil Gaiman
Lois the Witch, Jenny Uglow
A Reliable Wife, Robert Goolrick
The Woman in White, Wilkie Collins
Becoming Jane Eyre, Sheila Kohler
The Monk, Matthew Gregory Lewis
Stitch n' Bitch: A Knitters Handbook, Debbie Stoller
Notorious Royal Marriages, Leslie Carroll
Powerful Medicines: The Benefits, Risks, and Costs of Prescription Drugs, Jerry Avorn
Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Mill on the Floss, George Eliot
Downtown Owl, Chuck Klosterman
Just here Trying to Save a Few Lives, Pamela Grim
The Year of the Flood, Margaret Atwood
The Duchess, Amanda Foreman
Wives and Daughters, Elizabeth Gaskell

Last edited:
Has anyone this cycle outright requested a second interview with Dean Nicholas? Any luck?

Has anyone this cycle outright requested a second interview with Dean Nicholas? Any luck?

I will when I send my letter this weekend... weell.. I think I'm going to say something like "I'd love the opportunity to have a second interview." Is that outright enough?

i'd say so

any one know if dean nicholas is back from vacation and if we should expect a response from him if we've already sent a letter? it's been a while for me now.

Packing for the revisit, can't wait to see y'all! :soexcited:
And good luck to everyone waiting :xf:!

i'd say so

any one know if dean nicholas is back from vacation and if we should expect a response from him if we've already sent a letter? it's been a while for me now.

Well, he will be giving a few speeches and presentations for revisit so he is definitely on campus these next two days.

I will be in NYC for about a month and a half leading up to the first day of classes. I was wondering if there are any programs or activities you would recommend pursuing for that time period? Are there any classes or NYP/P+S opportunities that come to mind? I would really appreciate any advice!

And lastly, thanks so much for all the great advice and info from the current P+S students on this thread. You are lifesavers! :)

I will be in NYC for about a month and a half leading up to the first day of classes. I was wondering if there are any programs or activities you would recommend pursuing for that time period? Are there any classes or NYP/P+S opportunities that come to mind? I would really appreciate any advice!

And lastly, thanks so much for all the great advice and info from the current P+S students on this thread. You are lifesavers! :)

There's like a high school summer camp thing for underrepresented and inner city premeds that is held during the summer, which I have heard of people doing prior to their first year. There is always research and theoretically you could volunteer at Cosmo if you speak Spanish, have a public health or social work background, etc.

I will when I send my letter this weekend... weell.. I think I'm going to say something like "I'd love the opportunity to have a second interview." Is that outright enough?

I am going to do the same thing but a little more subtly, something like "Since we have not met yet, I would like to tell you a bit more about myself" or whatever.

has anyone heard back from the adcom confirming that their LOI has been received? was kind of hoping for a letter from dr. nicholas, but i'm sure he's been super busy. guess it's time to give them a call to confirm...

They've sent an automated message everytime I've sent something after the waitlist decisions were mailed, but I didn't receive any letter specifically from Dr. Nicholas directly. You can confirm whether they received your updates via phone (I did that to make sure they got it and they did).

Was revisit this past weekend and if so, was it totally completely awesome?

Ah.. why am I even asking, of course it was...

:xf:

Anyone get a response to their letters? I got a form letter asking for monthly updates way back when I sent in a letter with my waitlist reply, but only got an automated update when I sent in my update letter more than a week ago... I know the letter said "do not lose hope if you don't hear from us in a while" but this wait is killing me!!

Sorry we missed you at revisit...

When should an accepted student expect the financial package to arrive?

I would call financial services directly to find out what they say.

Talked to the office, which is essentially empty this week. No known second interviews or waitlist movement.

I know Columbia doesn't do post-rejection feedback, but has anyone tried contacting Dr. Nicholas directly for feedback? He seems to be involved enough that he might Be able to give some thoughts without even having to look at your file.

I know Columbia doesn't do post-rejection feedback, but has anyone tried contacting Dr. Nicholas directly for feedback? He seems to be involved enough that he might Be able to give some thoughts without even having to look at your file.

I think he may be willing to but not until the end of the cycle and only if you are rejected everywhere. The deans have done pre application feedback in the past.

Hello!

I'm deciding between here and Chicago and the decision is horrible. It's very tough to decide because so many factors ended up being equal. :confused:

I'm doing a lot of praying...I need some kind of revelation!

Anyone else deciding between here and Chicago?

I went to revisit and it was cool, nothing blew me away. For those who have been accepted here, what are some of the things that are helping your decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.