2009-2010 University of North Carolina (UNC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this was the "final" group that kept getting held over and held over - and we all came very close to getting an offer. There were less than 100 or so of us left. Many rejections were sent out along the way.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Received the rejection e-mail yesterday. Good luck to you guys on the wait list.

this was the "final" group that kept getting held over and held over - and we all came very close to getting an offer. There were less than 100 or so of us left. Many rejections were sent out along the way.

Good luck everyone!

That makes me sad to know we came so close.... Try and "hear" how many of us are on the wait list. :p
ETA: I hope you meant that 100 people kept being held over since last semester, and didn't mean that there are 100 people on the wait list. eek.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about UNC but wasn't able to attend the second look because i'm out of the country. Can anyone who attended comment on new things they learned, or positive/negative impressions? Thanks!

Doubt they're a troll. Just because this forum has turned into a constant barrage of testimonials, sob stories, and rejection/wl updates doesn't mean others can't have legitimate questions to ask of the lucky few who got in already.

Doubt they're a troll. Just because this forum has turned into a constant barrage of testimonials, sob stories, and rejection/wl updates doesn't mean others can't have legitimate questions to ask of the lucky few who got in already.

Hate to be such a drag, and use this forum as a place to vent my own personal frustrations...... but I do have a legitimate question. What type of research background do the ones of you that are in have? I wonder if that is the defining difference between you and applicants like me....... I have little research experience.

I'm relatively new to the forum and don't really know what a troll is. It seemed like the school-specific thread for UNC was the most logical place to ask about the second-look, but if this thread is meant for something else and there's a better place for me to post my question, please let me know!

Thanks.

I'm relatively new to the forum and don't really know what a troll is. It seemed like the school-specific thread for UNC was the most logical place to ask about the second-look, but if this thread is meant for something else and there's a better place for me to post my question, please let me know!

Thanks.

I don't know if there's a better place to ask your question other than perhaps private messaging people who has been accepted. It seems that when people get accepted, they don't really bother posting or visiting this page much.

Hate to be such a drag, and use this forum as a place to vent my own personal frustrations...... but I do have a legitimate question. What type of research background do the ones of you that are in have? I wonder if that is the defining difference between you and applicants like me....... I have little research experience.

I started research the summer before my senior year and continued with an independent study. Nothing extensive (no publications or conferences), but did put in significant effort and ended up writing a thesis on it. I doubt UNC is a school that heavily weighs research, but just like any other relevant experience, it's certainly a bonus.

thanks for the suggestion. I actually PMd Bbon, who was very helpful.

as for the question about research, I'm OOS, so the interviewers asked a lot of questions about why I applied to UNC in the first place. I applied because it's a big HIV center with lots of attention to ID, coupled with an excellent public health school. This is basically a perfect fit with my interests, which I could back up with a 6 month virology lab internship, and a 6 month lab tech job in a TB/plague lab. I also had research experience as an RA to a public health professor, and sort of had a hand in starting an undergrad public health curriculum at my school.

none of these research positions were particularly exemplary, one was in a big name lab but its probable that no one outside the ID world would recognize it. Neither has led to a publication or anything yet, although one likely will eventually, and i did mention that in the interview. I think what was more important was that they fit in with my overall narrative of what i was interested in and why that made UNC a good choice. I think any activity that served this purpose, whether research-based or not, would have served equally as well.

hope this helps! good luck to everyone.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXTyUTMv0Oo[/YOUTUBE]

Many more where that came from!

that video's awesome. I actually recognized some people in it...does anyone know how big the waitlist is this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not quite sure why they are waiting to give out more responses today and tomorrow. I wonder if they are waiting for the committee meeting tonight to go over more people?

I'm not quite sure why they are waiting to give out more responses today and tomorrow. I wonder if they are waiting for the committee meeting tonight to go over more people?

...still nothing after work hours on tuesday...

Question: Were you all invited to the Wait-List or the Alternate list?

I know the dental school has two separate lists, waitlist and alternate. The ppl on the alternate list are basically the next people to get in, while the waitlist is more extensive and has many more people. Wondering if it's the same for the med school....?

Question: Were you all invited to the Wait-List or the Alternate list?

I know the dental school has two separate lists, waitlist and alternate. The ppl on the alternate list are basically the next people to get in, while the waitlist is more extensive and has many more people. Wondering if it's the same for the med school....?

The subject heading of the email I received said "UNC SCHOOL OF MEDICINE - WAIT LIST INVITATION", but I returned an "Alternate List Response Form" to the admissions office.

I still can't believe Fook won the other night. I thought Hayward was going to be a hero at the end.

the subject heading of the email i received said "unc school of medicine - wait list invitation", but i returned an "alternate list response form" to the admissions office.

I still can't believe fook won the other night. I thought hayward was going to be a hero at the end.

go duke!!!:hungover:

My title of my email said "waitlist." The contents inside the email, including the file name of the form said "alternative list." The actual form header at the top says waitlist response form...lol.

Btw, I made a waitlist thread in the school specific forum this thread is located in. If you are as neurotic as I am and want to gauge the size the of the waitlist, please vote.

Last edited:
My title of my email said "waitlist." The contents inside the email, including the file name of the form said "alternative list." The actual form header at the top says waitlist response form...lol.

Btw, I made a waitlist thread in the school specific forum this thread is located in. If you are as neurotic as I am and want to gauge the size the of the waitlist, please vote.

I wonder if the admissions office would be willing to let one us know how big the wait list is. I might call once finals are over.

Has everybody already heard from UNC? Anybody still waiting for WL/R email?

So....I was waitlisted a couple of weeks ago like other people. Today, one of the admissions committee members came into my part-time job and explained the waitlist process to me. Basically, the list isn't ranked and, like most things thus far at UNC, there is no rhyme or reason to who they chose to come off the waitlist but the ultimate decision comes from the Dean. She said the list doesn't usually start moving until the beginning of May. She said that after the May 15th(?) deadline, the list has A LOT of movement, but if you don't hear anything by the beginning of June, your chances are grim. She said the dean usually fills empty spots based on who would most add to the diversity (racial, background, etc.) in the class.

I guess the big take away for those who are like me and on the waitlist is that there's still hope. I know of a few of my friends who were taken off the waitlist last year and are now very happy MS1's there now! So, there is hope people. Good luck everyone!

Did they say anything about whether they have given out more offers than the allocated class size?

Did they say anything about whether they have given out more offers than the allocated class size?

No and I didn't ask. Maybe I'll email her and ask. She wouldn't tell me how many people were on the waiting list either or how many people they typically take off the waiting list. I have high hopes though. Both of my good friends at UNC were both taken off the waiting list. Perhaps I have a skewed sense of optimism because of that.

No and I didn't ask. Maybe I'll email her and ask. She wouldn't tell me how many people were on the waiting list either or how many people they typically take off the waiting list. I have high hopes though. Both of my good friends at UNC were both taken off the waiting list. Perhaps I have a skewed sense of optimism because of that.

Thanks for posting that info! :thumbup:

Schools won't talk about how many are on the wait list because it's a pretty tenuous process. They have to send out more initial invitations than they have seats based on historical numbers of folks that have accepted invitations they send out. Sometimes they get it just right and have a a few spots to fill from the WL. Sometimes, a more people than they expected decide to go somewhere else and they pull more from the WL than they were expecting. Sometimes, they have a lot more people show up for second look than they expected and they are sweating it because of the prospect that their projections are wrong and now they will have more folks accepting invitations than they have spots for. An admissions director from a major school (not UNC) recently told me in candor that they were in that position recently.

This certainly doesn't make being on the WL any easier, but the fact is that all schools are going to be very tight-lipped about their WL numbers, in part, because they won't know for sure how many they'll accept from the WL until it's all said and done.

Hey guys,

Just a heads up... Financial aid packages are out now.

How did you find out and view yours?

Via e-mail. Here are the instructions from the message:

Step 1: Visit the webpage my.unc.edu and Sign In to the MyUNC Campus Portal.

Step 2: Signing in to the MyUNC Portal requires a University of North Carolina ONYEN identification and password. If you have not already created your UNC ONYEN, visit onyen.unc.edu and follow "Create an ONYEN".

Step 3: From your MyUNC homepage, click the link to the ConnectCarolina Student Center.

Step 4: Once within your personal Student Center, locate the section entitled "Finances." This section will include a sub-category for Financial Aid. Please select "View Financial Aid" and choose the relevant Aid Year (Example: the Academic Year running from Aug. 2010 through May 2011 is referred to as Aid Year 2011).

Maybe they're sending it out in waves?

Via e-mail. Here are the instructions from the message:

Step 1: Visit the webpage my.unc.edu and Sign In to the MyUNC Campus Portal.

Step 2: Signing in to the MyUNC Portal requires a University of North Carolina ONYEN identification and password. If you have not already created your UNC ONYEN, visit onyen.unc.edu and follow "Create an ONYEN".

Step 3: From your MyUNC homepage, click the link to the ConnectCarolina Student Center.

Step 4: Once within your personal Student Center, locate the section entitled "Finances." This section will include a sub-category for Financial Aid. Please select "View Financial Aid" and choose the relevant Aid Year (Example: the Academic Year running from Aug. 2010 through May 2011 is referred to as Aid Year 2011).

Maybe they're sending it out in waves?

Yeah maybe, I haven't gotten any email about it, and my Connect Carolina finance page just has Aid Application in Process. Here's hoping it'll come in before the deadline.

I don't know about the rest of you wait-listees out there, but I am trying to realistically figure out at what point I need to give up and re-double my efforts as a re-applicant.

Obviously May 15th could be the beginning of waitlist movement but people won't necessarily get in right away and I've heard that if you don't hear by the end of June your chances are pretty pretty slim. Still there are those stories about people getting in the day before the first day of med school.

So I'm just curious about what you other waitlistee guys are thinking:

-Have you got another acceptance you'll take over staying on UNC waitlist?
-Are you going to ride it out wait until August hoping for good news, then start your AMCAS all over again?
-Do you have MCAT, job, or extra curricular things you are going to work on through the summer or start in the fall?

At any rate good luck everyone! I certainly hope I don't have to re-apply, but someone's got to be those successful re-applicants that get in every year!

got mine last week - there is some discussion on the facebook group which might be more helpful

Well I guess they lied to me because I still haven't gotten anything from them. Has anybody else?

i called on monday. some students haven't been packaged yet due to a "glitch" in their system. were you an undergrad at UNC? apparently, it has something to do with still being classified as an undergrad in their system. i don't know much more than that. i asked if they knew when this glitch would be corrected and was given a noncommittal answer :(

i'm actually going to call them again today to follow up. i'll report back. you may want to call too.

i called on monday. some students haven't been packaged yet due to a "glitch" in their system. were you an undergrad at UNC? apparently, it has something to do with still being classified as an undergrad in their system. i don't know much more than that. i asked if they knew when this glitch would be corrected and was given a noncommittal answer :(

i'm actually going to call them again today to follow up. i'll report back. you may want to call too.

Huh, interesting. I am a current undergrad at UNC. I guess I need to give them a call tomorrow.

Huh, interesting. I am a current undergrad at UNC. I guess I need to give them a call tomorrow.

i called today. they are "working on it as hard as they can." she said we'd have it by friday. only time will tell.

i called today. they are "working on it as hard as they can." she said we'd have it by friday. only time will tell.

So I haven't gotten any emails or anything but my aid is showing up in the Connect Carolina portal thing. Thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

Hi, folks. Just wanted to let those that have questions about financial aid that I checked Carolina Connect and learned that they needed more documents from me to process my financial aid package. I haven't heard from the financial aid office about missing anything, so if you haven't heard anything yet, you might want to log on to Carolina Connect and see if you have anything under the "Financial Aid To Do List."

Does anyone know about UNC's CAMPOS program? How do students get selected for it?

Does anyone know about UNC's CAMPOS program? How do students get selected for it?

You take an oral exam over the telephone, to judge your level of Spanish proficiency. There's an intermediate group and an advanced group. If you aren't proficient enough (you need to be able to handle at least a basic conversation) or are already so proficient that you wouldn't get much out of the class, then you don't get in. There are around 20 spots, IIRC.

People I know that are in the program have been less than enthusiastic about how much they actually learn there. If you are already pretty proficient, then you should sign up for SALSA and come to the student clinic to interpret.

http://www.med.unc.edu/shac/salsa

Status
Not open for further replies.