2009-2010 University of North Carolina (UNC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA: Does anyone remember (without having to scroll back all of these pages) if anyone has been rejected post-interview? I wonder if those of us who have been waiting since Oct/Nov were likely on hold, or if no one has been rejected yet and date of interview means nothing.

There were two people in January that said they were rejected post interview. I think one interviewed late October. A 1st year told me back in late January that they were rejecting a good bit of people. I'm not sure if that was post interview or not, but I was under that impression by our conversation.

Members don't see this ad.

There were two people in January that said they were rejected post interview. I think one interviewed late October. A 1st year told me back in late January that they were rejecting a good bit of people. I'm not sure if that was post interview or not, but I was under that impression by our conversation.

yea I was rejected in Jan, a good chunk of the Jan rejections may not have even made it past sub-ctte.

I called the admissions office today. They seemed "frazzled" to say the least. I was able to get a little bit out of Eric Shuler today though, and also I spoke with Mrs. Reid several weeks ago (March 3). To the best of my understanding, this is the information relayed to me:

On March 5, interviews concluded. March 8 committee met for the final time to hand out acceptances. However, as many of you know, once you interview and go before committee you can be rejected, hold status, or accepted. When I called on the 3rd Mrs. Reid informed me that I was a hold status. I pressed a little further, and asked whether or not that was "good." She said yes and that the committee would meet again to determine which of the hold status persons get in, and that I shouldn't be at all discouraged. I spoke with Mr. Shuler today and he informed me that decisions were finalized today and that they would be sent out beginning tomorrow. I asked if there were students with acceptances and he said yes. Now, I am just guessing here, but I would think that some of us that are in limbo will get in. Also, many of us will get wait listed.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. It makes me feel better about my chances anyways~!? :) So for all of you out there, hold out some hope! And if I am off base with false hope, tell me!

E

E....great info...thanks. Keep the hope alive...it's real!

So just to confirm/speculate...those of us who get accepted will get a packet via snail mail? Only WL/R goes out via email, correct?

I realize no one actually knows this for sure, but what's the consensus at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
E....great info...thanks. Keep the hope alive...it's real!

So just to confirm/speculate...those of us who get accepted will get a packet via snail mail? Only WL/R goes out via email, correct?

I realize no one actually knows this for sure, but what's the consensus at this point?

My understanding of the notification process was that rejections went out by snail mail, wait list by email, and acceptances go out by phone but then they follow up by sending the necessary documentation. However, I posed that question about how notifications were sent and if the notification was different based on the decision to Mr. Shuler today (ie acceptance by phone, wait list email, and rejection mail). His response was "not necessarily".... so I am not sure. Maybe he was just being unnecessarily evasive. He was also in a hurry to get off the phone. I know one thing, this is driving me crazy. I mean what does it take to get in this place?! I have great credentials (at or above average for UNC: Gpa, Mcat, experience) and I am sure many of you do as well! I'm frustrated by this!

Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics Total admissions data 4022 applied, 583 interviewed, 229 were accepted, 160 enrolled In-state admissions data 910 applied, 463 interviewed, 164 were accepted, 133 enrolled
From: http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/University_of_North_Carolina_Chapel_Hill_School_of_Medicine.html

So it looks like 30 or so people that are accepted decide not to go to UNC?! Can't imagine why, but that should open a few more spots for us if we get on the wait list. Also, if it is true that half of the interviewees are rejected in subcommittee then there are approximately 120 of us left for the 30 extra spots?! Ok this is pure conjecture, (as if you couldn't discern that) but none the less it makes me feel better. Once again, as posted earlier by yours truly, hold out some hope! I know people get in UNC after March 31, just not many of us. Good luck to all.

Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics Total admissions data 4022 applied, 583 interviewed, 229 were accepted, 160 enrolled In-state admissions data 910 applied, 463 interviewed, 164 were accepted, 133 enrolled
From: http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/University_of_North_Carolina_Chapel_Hill_School_of_Medicine.html

So it looks like 30 or so people that are accepted decide not to go to UNC?! Can't imagine why, but that should open a few more spots for us if we get on the wait list. Also, if it is true that half of the interviewees are rejected in subcommittee then there are approximately 120 of us left for the 30 extra spots?! Ok this is pure conjecture, (as if you couldn't discern that) but none the less it makes me feel better. Once again, as posted earlier by yours truly, hold out some hope! I know people get in UNC after March 31, just not many of us. Good luck to all.

i love conjectures. i just have to remind myself that those accepted spots include wait list acceptances, so doesn't mean we'd get an offer this week (or next). keep the faith

Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 4022 applied, 583 interviewed, 229 were accepted, 160 enrolled
In-state admissions data 910 applied, 463 interviewed, 164 were accepted, 133 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data 3112 applied, 120 interviewed, 65 were accepted, 27 enrolled
Women's admissions data 1898 applied, 276 interviewed, 120 were accepted, 85 enrolled
Minority admissions data 2160 applied, 224 interviewed, 77 were accepted, 49 enrolled
International admissions data 341 applied, 10 interviewed, 10 were accepted, 6 enrolled

So it looks like 30 or so people that are accepted decide not to go to UNC?! Can't imagine why, but that should open a few more spots for us if we get on the wait list.

The reasoning behind this assumption does not make sense. UNC factors in that some people will go elsewhere (hence a drop of 30 people from the initial acceptance sent out). These people are not replaced...or else there would still be 160 in the class. The number of waitlisted people who get in is based off of how much attrition they have below the 130 mark..and that is a number that they intentionally do not publish. 30 people will not get pulled of the waitlist.

I assumed (incorrectly it appears) that they only have out 130 invites at a time and that the 30 above to reach the 160 was filled with wait listers. That makes more sense to me but I don't really know.

Last edited:
I guess that no one has heard anything yet?! I mean they said notifications would begin going out today and be finished by Tuesday. Please post if you have heard anything, especially if it is good!

I'll be surprised if anyone hears anything today. Last year they said we'd hear on or before April 1, and we did not. It wasn't until the following week that the final decisions came down.

Mooshika, I'm sure your little dialogue is frighteningly accurate to how those meetings actually go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, amazing. Yet I agree, you probably aren't too far from the mark.

I just called. He said all notifications are coming out either today, Monday or Tuesday. I guess they're still sticking to that.

Doctor Red Sweater: This one is the bike-racing one right?

Doctor Can't Get a Date: No that's the girl. She was the one who wouldn't smile at me. She knits and is into bookbinding. Super hot too.

Doctor Dusted-off-retired: Do nurses ride bikes?

Doctor Proctology: I think we should take the red headed one. My Aunt Mamie had red hair, she was an angel in a housedress. (tears) I loved her so... and she died before I had a chance...

Doctor Dusted-off-retired: The nurse lied. They always lied. I hate nurses. And you, Procto, put a plug in it. You sound like a nurse. Stop all your lacrimose sentimentality or I will slap you. Get rid of the nurse.

Doctor Can't get a Date: None of the girls I interview ever even look me in the eye. My sister used to hold me down and make me say "uncle" but I was a small kid, everyone picked on me. I don't trust attractive women. Put her in the reject pile. IF we let her in, maybe she will knit me a sweater!

Doctor-in-charge-of admissions: Sit up everyone. We have some decisions to make. Let's have another drink, then get back to business and make these decisions sound reasonable.

Doctor Red Sweater: Put all the guys who wore striped ties in this pile... and put all the bike racers over here. Look! Now we have six piles!

Doctor Dusted-off: My mother was a nurse. They all lie... Let's start a pile for lying nurses.

Doctor-just-woke-up-in-the -middle-of-the-meeting: Yes! Yes! Yes! I love bike rides! The war is over! Harvest the victory gardens!

Doctor-in-charge: We have seven piles. Which one is the waitlist pile?

Doctor Red Sweater: Each pile is for, umm. What's a waitlist?

Doctor-just-woke-up: <<<<<snore>>>>> <<<<<<<snore>>>>>>>

hyena-like laughter from Dusted-Off-Doctor

Doctor can't Get a date: Lets mix them all up and start again! But lets do it in costume!

Doctor-dusted-off: Stabbing her pen wildly and repeatedly into each of the six piles of folders Kill the nurses! Kill the nurses! Kill the nurses! <<<repeat>>>

cue: Music from "Skinny Puppy First Album" (Death Metal/Goth)
Camera zooms out, dolly back to reveal wide shot of group in disarray, room light angles across meeting desk, contrast increases so we only see silhouettes of committee members...

wow...this wasn't very funny at all. sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mooshika. We all need a little perspective. We're being compared among the best-of-the-best, and the fact that we're even in this group is a big deal.

At this point, I'd suggest we stop calling the admissions office. News will come when it comes, and I am certain that they are overwhelmed with our calls and nagging (I've done enough of it personally!). It can't be longer than 2 weeks (April 15th is the deadline), so let's all just sit tight. If we are to take a year off (or another year off), then perhaps it is because there are some life experiences that the world feels we are lacking. I've had disappointments before, but they've never come without experience.

Expect the worst, but always hope for the best. That's been my mantra these past few weeks.

Just got the email. I'm waitlisted :) I'll take that

Yep, I too just received the waitlist email. Remember everyone, a waitlist position is not the end of the world. It's not over until it's over.

no waitlist email here :( oh well... getting rejected means I don't have to make the decision between UNC and ECU, so that's good

no waitlist email here :( oh well... getting rejected means I don't have to make the decision between UNC and ECU, so that's good

I just thought the same thing I didn't get an email but based on evidence so far it doesn't mean anything...

I need to get outside. It's 85 in NC today.

Takin the dog to the park.

I already accepted my unsuccessful attempt here a few weeks ago.

Waitlisted here too. Not expecting much since UNC's waitlist seems to barely move but I'll keep hoping for the best. :)

I just thought the same thing I didn't get an email but based on evidence so far it doesn't mean anything...

I need to get outside. It's 85 in NC today.

Takin the dog to the park.

I hear ya... too bad I'm stuck in the office continuosly refreshing SDN and staring out the window wishing I was out there :( can't WAIT to quit my job in a few months!!!!

So, I guess it's looking like I"ll be seeing you in August at ECU. Go Pirates!!

waitlisted as well. something tells me almost everyone is waitlisted

I got the wait list email this afternoon, also.

Good luck to everyone! Whether your sweating it out waiting for that email or now you're looking forward to a summer of waiting for that possible spot to open!

And to those of you already accepted---

You don't really want to go to UNC... you should probably call them today and say nahh, not the place for you...give up those spots in a hurry plz...:p

waitlisted as well. something tells me almost everyone is waitlisted

Not me - yet. Probably rejected. Ive probably been in the rejected pile for weeks. ...unless they are really offering more acceptances??? No, I give up.

Why are you guys bummed about being waitlisted? Honestly I thought all that was left was that and/or rejections?

I have heard nothing from them. I guess that means either acceptance or rejection. I am under no dillusion any longer that it will be acceptance. Now what do I do to improve my application? On second thought I'm gonna hold out until they give me the news.

Hey mooshika and futurencmed,
I'd still be pretty excited if I were you - congrats on the acceptance to ECU! They flat out rejected me without an interview and I would have been so thrilled to just get somewhere in NC this year!

but... if I'm in the same group as this fellow who writes "dillusion" I am thinking it's not looking too good... lol.

(ps I, too, am a terrible speller)

I have heard nothing from them. I guess that means either acceptance or rejection. I am under no dillusion any longer that it will be acceptance. Now what do I do to improve my application? On second thought I'm gonna hold out until they give me the news.

Hey mooshika and futurencmed,
I'd still be pretty excited if I were you - congrats on the acceptance to ECU! They flat out rejected me without an interview and I would have been so thrilled to just get somewhere in NC this year!

oh yeah... don't get me wrong. I'm super excited about ECU. Honestly, getting rejected from UNC means I don't have to make that tough decision, which is awesome! It would have been a hard one to make.

Still, I wish they would just send the rejections through email too. I won't be able to really let it go until I get that rejection letter in the mail.

oh yeah... don't get me wrong. I'm super excited about ECU. Honestly, getting rejected from UNC means I don't have to make that tough decision, which is awesome! It would have been a hard one to make.

Still, I wish they would just send the rejections through email too. I won't be able to really let it go until I get that rejection letter in the mail.

is everyone so sure that if you don't get the WL email, you're rejected? you could presumably receive an acceptance letter via mail or email, no?

is everyone so sure that if you don't get the WL email, you're rejected? you could presumably receive an acceptance letter via mail or email, no?

theoretically anything is possible. I don't remember anyone getting accepted at this point last year (at least among friends and fellow SDNers).

This is why it's like I said... it's not over until I get that rejection in the mail.

oh and btw... don't expect to actually get that letter for atleast another week or so... they did that to us last year too.

Waitlisted too...see ya' UNC! It's been a fun year. Why did I have to move to Chapel Hill the one year the basketball team sux? ;)

Rejected today. Oh well. I'll be back next year - and I'll be smarter and wiser.

So it looks like both waitlist and rejection emails have gone out today. I have received nothing. I wish I was optimistic enough to think that this means I have an acceptance coming my way...

Anybody else in my boat? What do we think this means? Are they sending stuff out in "waves"? They said some things will be going out next Monday/Tuesday, too, but why wouldn't they just send everything at once? GRRR this is so frustrating.

(Sorry for the mini vent. Its hard to see everyone finding stuff out while I'm still in the dark!!)

So it looks like both waitlist and rejection emails have gone out today. I have received nothing. I wish I was optimistic enough to think that this means I have an acceptance coming my way...

Anybody else in my boat? What do we think this means? Are they sending stuff out in "waves"? They said some things will be going out next Monday/Tuesday, too, but why wouldn't they just send everything at once? GRRR this is so frustrating.

(Sorry for the mini vent. Its hard to see everyone finding stuff out while I'm still in the dark!!)

dogster i'm still in the dark as well...along with a few others posted above. i bet it means we're in...just wait for that 7pm call ;)

either that or (more likely) they're doing this in waves, which might mean that they haven't really made all their decisions yet.

my advice: call the admissions office and demand an answer!

Did you get the rejection by email?

Btw, in case some is curious, I heard someone got accepted July 15th last year!

Rejected by e-mail today. I guess I'm going back to SC for school. Oh well, good luck to those that made the wait list.

yup... rejected via email at exactly 4:59 PM.

At least they listened to me... so much better to find out through email rather then wait weeks for rejection letters like we did last year.

oh well... congrats to everyone who made the WL or have been accepted!!!! As for me, I'll be in Greenville being a pirate doctor YARRRRRRRRRRR :D

Got my waitlist email this afternoon. Not sure if I should be sad or happy, because now there's only one school remaining that has not said no or maybe to me, either implicitly or explicitly.

Anyone know how long their waitlist is?

Last edited:
Did you get the rejection by email?

Btw, in case some is curious, I heard someone got accepted July 15th last year!

Even though I have no way of confirming the above statement, I still love hearing it. Keep hope alive!

I got the Alternate List invite today. Good luck everybody. :xf:

Rejected at 4:30.... Talked to Mrs Reid and she said that all students are either rejected or Wait list. I also got the impression that all students on wait list were notified first. (based on the beginning of our conversation and the fact that when I asked about my status she basically implied I had no hope by her sigh..) Therefore, if you haven't heard, you were probably rejected. Now I just have to hope that I make it off of the wait list at Saint Louis University. Otherwise, I'll be back on here next year......... Good luck and congrats to all that made it in.... I know that you are all imminently qualified and deserving. Now to vent a little.... Isn't a 35 MCAT enough in state?!?! Geesh.....

Rejected by email today at 4:59 pm. Who wants to bet they hit send, then ran out the door to avoid the inevitable phone calls? :laugh: Anyway, like mooshika, I already decided on my own that I was going to be rejected a couple weeks ago and started getting ready for next year, picking schools, etc.

At least I know a lot more about the application process this year. For example, don't make any attempt whatsoever to be relevant or verifiable in terms of your activities. Just put everything you've ever done ever, and that should cover you. ;)

Haha, yea- got my rejection at 4:59 as well. I think its hilarious, the definitely sent them out right as she was was leaving. It looks like W/L letters went out 2 hours earlier.
Sucks, I was waitlisted last year, and straight rejected this year even though I thought my interview went way better and I improved my application a fair amount. I am completely lost by this process.

Rejected by email today at 4:59 pm. Who wants to bet they hit send, then ran out the door to avoid the inevitable phone calls? :laugh: Anyway, like mooshika, I already decided on my own that I was going to be rejected a couple weeks ago and started getting ready for next year, picking schools, etc.

At least I know a lot more about the application process this year. For example, don't make any attempt whatsoever to be relevant or verifiable in terms of your activities. Just put everything you've ever done ever, and that should cover you. ;)

I know that you are all imminently qualified and deserving. Now to vent a little.... Isn't a 35 MCAT enough in state?!?! Geesh.....
I know... 34/almost 3.9. I thought the interview went REALLY well too. I guess I'll use the 'counseling' appointment to figure out what I did 'wrong'. /vent. Good luck again to everyone else.

No email for me, maybe a reject Monday or Tuesday... One of the first ones to interview and last the hear back, go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.