2009-2010 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess one good thing is that rent should be cheaper near KU than out south in the suburbs here...it's stupid expensive, but exactly where we needed to move at the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I need to bring this up on the non-trad forum, but is anyone else who is married having trouble with the transition back to student-life, financially I mean? My husband has worked VERY hard for the great position he has now. He's up for promotion this year, etc. I feel like he's earned a good standard of living. But then I have to say, "Nope, we're selling our house, moving somewhere cheaper, and we have to eat ramen noodles and frozen pizza for the next 4 years." It's not a big stressor for us right now, I just feel bad about it.

Thoughts?

I'm with ya... although, my wife and I have been together for almost 12 years. Either one or both of us have been in school that whole time, up until May 2009. With that being said, we have still been in the "student frame of mind". The nice thing is that my wife has had a change in employment that is accompanied with a raise that should cover my loss of income... but we shall see if that really works or not! I still think that we are going to have to adjust our life style - we have gotten pretty bad at spending money (or is that "good" at spending money?). :smuggrin:

Another thing I wanted to mention is that if we get tired of O'Dowd's tomorrow night, I only live 15-20 min away... I'd be more than happy to host some people if we want to hang out later. I have to go and pick up my daughter by 8 or 9pm from her grandparents, so I can't stay at O'Dowd's that late.

We can obviously cross that bridge when we come to it, but I just wanted to let people know that I didn't care at all!

See you tomorrow night!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am bummed that I'm going to miss tomorrow, but even more disappointed that I'm going to miss going to O'Dowd's and meeting everyone. Whoever makes it to the second look please relay to the rest of us any interesting/important information-- especially regarding the computers.

In regards to the scholarships, FA told me that they get the 3rd and 4th years info in the system before they get to the 1st and 2nd years. I was told we would receive a letter before we saw it in the system. I'm not expecting one, but it sure would be nice to not have to pay back as much. I've been looking for some outside scholarships. Only got around to applying for the DAR so far. Anyone else apply for outside assistance?

I am just warning you now: I'm going to have the WORST time tomorrow putting names to faces to SDN names. I'm sorry in advance if I have a beer or two and start calling you "Jaydoc and Jaydoc's wife" or "The guy who was in the Army" or whatever.

Maybe we need nametags with our Avatar. lol. ;)

ha ha

I am just warning you now: I'm going to have the WORST time tomorrow putting names to faces to SDN names. I'm sorry in advance if I have a beer or two and start calling you "Jaydoc and Jaydoc's wife" or "The guy who was in the Army" or whatever.

ha ha

HAHAHA... Don't worry, you won't be the only one with that problem! :laugh:

I realized this morning that without big SDN badges (haha) and without facebook (the last person on earth without it, I know)...I have no idea what any of you look like.
I am female, have shortish brown hair and I'll be wearing gray and turquoise and standing next to an exceptionally tall gentleman. If any of you notice me looking around, feel free to snag me. >_<

ha ha
HAHAHA! I posted before I saw your post. Glad I'm not the only one who's going to be looking around trying to guess who's who! We'll find each other and slowly clot together now and then like a happy SDN coagulation.

That is hilarious! We do need to figure out a way to coagulate (to use an inappropriate medical term, hey, we're gonna be doctors!). I sent Auriga my picture after she sent me hers, great idea. I'll try and send one to the rest of you. By the way, when I say pic I actually mean link because apparently I'm not real polished with my computer skills!
Yeah, I picked a handful of people at random to pm my pic to to facilitate this process haha So if you randomly get my pic you'll know why.

Also, if you aren't familiar with the area, feel free to PM me your ph# and I'll text you with my ph#, so if you get lost or can't find us, you can call me ^_^

We should come up with a secret password or a neon green SDN sign. :laugh:

We should come up with a secret password or a neon green SDN sign. :laugh:

I love it. Either we'll come up with a secret password so that we can be inconspicuous or get a big neon sign to be just the opposite. Everyone just wear your KU Med shirt-- you know you have one...

Everyone just wear your KU Med shirt-- you know you have one...

That was going to be my second suggestion... after carrying a bunch of huge balloons, of course. :laugh:

Engineer2MD - are you still planning on calling on our way over there? As long as they (O'Dowd's) know that there is a group of 14 people that are with KU Med, HOPEFULLY they would be able to direct all of us to the correct spot! I guess we can do that either by calling, or the first person to show up can get a table for everybody. Only 25 hours left till O'Dowd's!! :soexcited:

Laryngo - I'm sorry that you aren't going to be able to make it! :(

Why do I keep putting smilies at the end of my sentences? :smack:

Laryngo - I'm sorry that you aren't going to be able to make it! :(
Can't make it to the day at all, or just to O'Dowds? :/

Why do I keep putting smilies at the end of my sentences? :smack:
You're excited, understandably. I do it too, but it's bc I feel my words just aren't expressive as I am irl heh

Yup, I'm still going to be calling on the way. I will tell them 14 people from KU School of Medicine in case anyone gets there before me.

I'm tall with brown hair in a shoulder length bob - and I'll probably wear black skirt-pants. My husband will probably be wearing jeans. (Seriously though, I'll bring my walker and will be hobbling around.... since I'm so old..... will I recognize you guys because of YOUR walkers? ha)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wearing my KU med shirt today while I apartment hunt. I would assume they'll have nametags and I'm going to write Doc2Dr on mine. If you don't see it, I've got a shaved head that will cause a glare. Generally easy to pick out in a crowd.

Nice to meet everyone yesterday, sorry I couldn't make it after to meet for grub, but I had to find a place to live. KU is awesome and I can't wait to see you all in just a few months! Funny how we all ended up in the same group....:) guess my sdn days are coming to an end...

Hi all! I just wanted to reply to this thread because well, I have spent the whole morning reading it. I live in Wichita and am in my first semester of college and I really am looking forward to applying to KU for my medical school.

I know I have a long way to go, but I just wanted to say congratulations to you all who got in(I know it was a while ago.) This thread makes me really nervous but at the same time, I know the acceptance must feel amazing. It really has kind of sparked my interest again and refreshed my drive to be a MD. I was just wondering, how hard is it to be a single male in Medical School financially? The cost of $25,000 a year is a lot alone. But if you take $40,000 in loans for four years that adds up quickly! Maybe I am just a little naive about how much I am really going to be in debt!:p But that is awesome that you all met in person. Good luck, I will be reading about your medical school experiences.:)

Lol, I guess everyone that went to O'Dowds and second look still has a hangover...

MH27, unfortunately most of us will probably stop using SDN once July comes and will probably transition over to Facebook once we know each other personally. Good luck in the medical school process - It sure is, special. Wow, you'll be the class of 2017? I thought the world was supposed to end by then. ;)

Last edited:
Hi, to all the second look attendees, are we getting the 2470p tablet? That thing looks sweet!

Lol, I guess everyone that went to O'Dowds and second look still has a hangover...

MH27, unfortunately most of us will probably stop using SDN once July comes and will probably transition over to Facebook once we know each other personally. Good luck in the medical school process - It sure is, special. Wow, you'll be the class of 2017? I thought the world was supposed to end by then. ;)

You all would leave me. :( Lol, well I got a long way to go, but I will make it there, maybe some of you all will interview me haha.

The calendar for 2010-2011 is out. You can find it here. Looks like they make it easy for holiday travel and everything, but we have an intense schedule... :)

Hi, to all the second look attendees, are we getting the 2470p tablet? That thing looks sweet!

From what I can tell (I've asked around a little), we're getting the EliteBook 2730p with Windows 7 installed. 4 Gigs of RAM, but processor and HD size are TBD.

Actual cost of attendance is out. I was in financial aid this morning right after it was released. For those of us that need more than the basic federal package there is a KU endowment loan up to 5k at 5%. It says you need a cosigner, but you can use your spouse. So for the married crew you can decrease the interest on what's needed to bridge the gap and not actually use an outside source.

And yeah, we're pretty awesome.

Thanks scout. From what I can see, the 2730p is pretty much the same tablet, except for the multi-touch-screen feature.

I was just wondering, how hard is it to be a single male in Medical School financially? The cost of $25,000 a year is a lot alone. But if you take $40,000 in loans for four years that adds up quickly! Maybe I am just a little naive about how much I am really going to be in debt!:p But that is awesome that you all met in person. Good luck, I will be reading about your medical school experiences.:)

As far as being a single male, you just have to suck it up and take out loans. It does add up fast and I will have some debt (I will have some family financing) but I think the idea is that medical school is an investment in yourself and your future, just live like your a resident for your first few years out of training and pay back your loans fast and in bulk to keep interest cost down. I am an out of state student so my cost is going to be more than 40 grand more like 60 grand a year! Ouch. Oh and yes we are awesome.

The calendar for 2010-2011 is out. You can find it here. Looks like they make it easy for holiday travel and everything, but we have an intense schedule... :)

Oh $&*! I am going to die.

Everyone get ready to hang on for dear life. :laugh:

I don't know about anybody else, but this whole "med school" thing hadn't really sunk in yet... until we got this schedule. I don't know for sure why it really made me realize that I am actually getting ready to do this, but it did!

Excited to get started, nervous about being able to keep up... Good times!

Does anybody know what the "Formative Quizes" entail?

Last edited:
Well, we actually needed to bring in that dirt too (4 cubic yards) which they dropped on my driveway (which the actually broke with the truck) at about 10:00. So we turned our manpower to getting that spread around which lasted until around 3:00. The we finally made it down to the basement and got some mudding dine but not nearly as much as I had hoped for. I actually did see the banjo you were talking about at Home Depot yesterday...looks like it could make someone's life easier who does this all the time, but it was like $80!

Broke your driveway, eh? That sucks!

I need to do some dirt work at my house as well, but I have a friend who has a little tractor... trying to get it worked out that I can have him come down and help me! :D

Yeah, I knew those banjo's were expensive... not worth buying if you were just going to do a small project here and there.

Good luck with getting it finished!

Does anybody know what the "Formative Quizes" entail?

formative quizzes are online quizzes posted every friday that you can sort of use to gauge where you are with the material. They're oftentimes questions from old exams that were thrown out, although that is definitely not always the case. They sometimes will pop up on the summative exam later (gotta love the occasional freebie) You can take the quizzes as many times as you want and they usually have feedback as to why the answer is what it is. Some modules require you to take them, although not all.

formative quizzes are online quizzes posted every friday that you can sort of use to gauge where you are with the material. They're oftentimes questions from old exams that were thrown out, although that is definitely not always the case. They sometimes will pop up on the summative exam later (gotta love the occasional freebie) You can take the quizzes as many times as you want and they usually have feedback as to why the answer is what it is. Some modules require you to take them, although not all.

Great! Thanks for the info, sounds like they can really help with studying for the exams.

I appreciate your help! :)

It was a blast meeting you guys Friday! That was rather hilarious that we were in the same group...although they forgot me. I think the decks were stacked, age-wise, since our M1 and M2 were actually 29 and 37 respectively.

Mud party? With banjos? :confused:

M27, I plan to stick around in SDN, just not as much as I have been this last year. I got so much help from ppl here who stuck around even after starting classes.

live like your a resident for your first few years out of training and pay back your loans fast and in bulk to keep interest cost down.
Yeah, several docs I know all said they could pay it back (even with an insanely high CoA at other schools/out of state) within a handful of years while still living on a decent amount. Just have to put off your Porsche a few years :p

we have an intense schedule... :)
Oh wow. Seeing the exact schedule made it sink in deeper that it really starts in a couple months... Exciting and terrifying at once haha

KU endowment loan up to 5k at 5%. It says you need a cosigner, but you can use your spouse. So for the married crew you can decrease the interest on what's needed to bridge the gap and not actually use an outside source.
They told me about the 5k too, which is great! They didn't mention my husband could sign, though, so I'm glad you mentioned that part! I was about to ask my mother. >_<

Wow, Page 22!

Haha! What a milestone!

Has anyone seen a match list for KUMeds 2010 class? I looked online and found older match lists and a youtube video for 2010, but I couldn't locate a list of names and residency programs.

They told me about the 5k too, which is great! They didn't mention my husband could sign, though, so I'm glad you mentioned that part! I was about to ask my mother. >_<

I guess it's not something that applies to most of the students. But, using your spouse as a cosigner isn't any different than taking out the loan yourself. And with a 2.9% difference in the interest rate versus the grad plus loan it will save quite a bit in the long run.

Also, I asked one of the students at spring visit if they used anything like epocrates. He said that we get a "free" subscription while we're students. I was already looking into buying it, so just in case anyone had the same idea, hold off and we'll have it once we start.

We signed a lease at the Dunes at St Andrews on 135th in OP. Move in June 28th. 20 miles door to door but I drove it in rush hour Monday morning and it only took 30 minutes. It took me 30 minutes to make it the first 2 miles here yesterday, and over an hour for the 15 to work. I can't wait to move.

Does anyone have any good information on when we will hear about any scholarships and how much should we expect? They made is sound like they have several million dollars to give away but with so many students that can't go far. If they told us on second look day I must have missed it.

I guess it's not something that applies to most of the students. But, using your spouse as a cosigner isn't any different than taking out the loan yourself. And with a 2.9% difference in the interest rate versus the grad plus loan it will save quite a bit in the long run.

I totally agree. Although I didn't realize I could use my husband as the cosigner, and I already had asked my mom to do it. Oh well.

Glad you found a place, Doc2Dr, and I hope your move goes smoothly!

For those that weren't there on Friday, our house sold after being on the market a whopping 5 days so we are moving in closer to KC. We're looking at homes tonight, so I'm excited to have something "fun" to do. :)

It was so good to meet everyone Friday! We should do that again soon!! :)

We signed a lease at the Dunes at St Andrews on 135th in OP. Move in June 28th. 20 miles door to door but I drove it in rush hour Monday morning and it only took 30 minutes. It took me 30 minutes to make it the first 2 miles here yesterday, and over an hour for the 15 to work. I can't wait to move.
Wow, an hour for 15 miles, that does suck. The drive to KUmed from south OP isn't too bad, I live out there now, but I'm impatient and opting for a closer drive!

For those that weren't there on Friday, our house sold after being on the market a whopping 5 days so we are moving in closer to KC. We're looking at homes tonight, so I'm excited to have something "fun" to do. :)
We'll definitely have to do another SDN Dinner before classes.:D And let me know how the house hunting goes! I'm curious about what's available in different areas. We're not looking to buy, but renting a house sounds great. 12 years of apartments is getting a bit old >_<

I'd be lying if I said I was not a little nervous about the material from the schedule. However, I have never had the opportunity to be a student as my main job. I worked all throughout high school and 35+ hrs per week while juggling a full-time pre-med course load. The prospect of me getting to focus on classes that I loved but did not delve enough into is exciting for me.

Yeah, I agree with you. I haven't had a chance to be just a full time student either. I'm looking forward to school for a similar reason.

Yeah, the whole driveway disaster went over rather poorly with the wife. I actually have a company coming out sometime this week for an estimate. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is reasonable because we have to get the house painted this summer as well.

I can imagine! The company that delivered the dirt isn't pitching in?

Also, I asked one of the students at spring visit if they used anything like epocrates. He said that we get a "free" subscription while we're students. I was already looking into buying it, so just in case anyone had the same idea, hold off and we'll have it once we start.

Good info on the loan, thanks for sharing! Also good to hear about epocrates!

Congrats on finding a place to live! I'm probably only about 20 min north on I-35. That drive in Florida sounds horrible. :laugh: Can't wait to have you guys up here. Give a shout out if you need help moving.
jaydoc24 said:
Hey, we're only 15 minutes away tops, and I know of a few golf courses we need to check out that are close by.

Well... Like I said at O'Dowd's - I'm a HORRIBLE golfer, but I still have fun... I'd be down for a round or two!

Engineer2MD said:

Congrats again! Hope the inspection goes smoothly. If you are ever planning on being in the East Shawnee area, give me a holler and we can go grab some lunch.

I agree that we all need to get together again before classes start. We will have to figure out something!

Has anyone seen a match list for KUMeds 2010 class? I looked online and found older match lists and a youtube video for 2010, but I couldn't locate a list of names and residency programs.

I have the match list. Send me a message and I'll get it to you.

Well, I was fixing, or attempting to fix as that ended unsuccessfully, the bathroom sink faucet (don't get me started, on here at least) and my wife told them to back the truck up to the top of our driveway as we had discussed. As soon as that truck hit this corner it just collapsed. After it happened I saw the driver look at it, climb in the truck and drive off. I called them on Monday and told them what happened and the lady said, "You had a washout under there huh?"

Basically she gave us the name of a company to get an estimate for a repair but offered nothing else. A little frustrating but I'm not sure what recourse we have, my wife told them to do it.

Isn't owning a house so much fun? :laugh:

Dude... that sucks.

Work sucks, I can't keep up on here all day.

Getting together sounds like so much fun. I'm jealous I won't be there for a month and a half.

jaydoc- There were two within a few minutes of where we'll be and I'm down to play whenever once we get moved. Hope your driveway situation gets straightened out. That's one of the reasons I'm content to lease during school. I'm not handy, at all, so for me repairs are always "we need to call the guy".

RT- Skill level is the last requirement to play golf with me. I'm just out to have fun. I remember driving by the exit for your area, not too bad of a drive up the parkway/interstate.

Auriga- So I move into the area and you head out, what's up? You don't want to be neighbors?:D I guess for me the drive didn't seem too bad. We went down first thing Monday and drove from KUMC and back in morning traffic. I plan on going to class every day so the drive might get old after the first year but for now it's where we wanted to be.

Engineer- Congrats again on the offer on your house. Hopefully you guys find something quick. That house hunting gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.