2009-2010 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to all who made it in so far! And where are the Phoenix acceptances? Are they reconvening the admissions comittee before sending them out?

I'm totally stoked that I was accepted at Midwestern (beautiful campus, facilities, and inviting faculty), but I still am hoping to be pulled off the Phoenix Campus waitlist (not least because it would mean $20,000 cheaper a year). Anyone have news on Phoenix?

Also, lrkoehle, it has been exciting to see the speed of the waitlist movement this year. But if it was only in-state acceptances, then it is possible that Arizona residents who were between spots 40-50 might have been between 25-35 if the policy had not changed and likewise 80-90 might have been 55-65. I do not know the actual amount of OOSers accepted, but maybe some IS people who were just pulled of this week would have been accepted a month or two ago. IS appplicants in the higher numebrs who will not be accepted at all might have been accepted otherwise. Again, I have no numbers to back it up, but I could still see a case for residents being dissapointed in the new policy.

Who knows what's going on at Phoenix? Either the movement is from those of us not on SDN or there is little movement all together. I totally understand your frustration, perhaps the IS Tucson and Phoenix WL'ers would have been accepted long ago if things hadn't changed. I like the diversity in the class, but I also would like to be in the class to actually see the diversity, ya know? Mathlink, if I need to I will beat your record of 3 consecutive attempts. If it takes me 10x I am going to attend medical school. You'll be able to point me out if/when I get accepted...I'll be the one with the cane and the O2 tank.

Members don't see this ad.

Who knows what's going on at Phoenix? Either the movement is from those of us not on SDN or there is little movement all together. I totally understand your frustration, perhaps the IS Tucson and Phoenix WL'ers would have been accepted long ago if things hadn't changed. I like the diversity in the class, but I also would like to be in the class to actually see the diversity, ya know? Mathlink, if I need to I will beat your record of 3 consecutive attempts. If it takes me 10x I am going to attend medical school. You'll be able to point me out if/when I get accepted...I'll be the one with the cane and the O2 tank.

:laugh: Legit, you'll be in long before your 100th b-day when you dawn the cane and O2 tank. Actually, I'd be surprised if you didn't get in next year - you may still get in this year, I'm rooting for you! :cool:

I'm doing best to still hold out for you Phoenix. There is no place else I want to go. I get it, you're playing hard to get. I give in, you have the power in this relationship.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, lrkoehle, it has been exciting to see the speed of the waitlist movement this year. But if it was only in-state acceptances, then it is possible that Arizona residents who were between spots 40-50 might have been between 25-35 if the policy had not changed and likewise 80-90 might have been 55-65. I do not know the actual amount of OOSers accepted, but maybe some IS people who were just pulled of this week would have been accepted a month or two ago. IS appplicants in the higher numebrs who will not be accepted at all might have been accepted otherwise. Again, I have no numbers to back it up, but I could still see a case for residents being dissapointed in the new policy.

Sorry for not being totally clear. I somewhat sarcastic in my previous comment. I do think the speed of the WL movement this year is exciting, but I know the fact that OOSers are involved in it means some ISers won't get in. Realistically, we don't know exactly where the numbers would be as you point out, so people not accepted now might still be waiting because of slower WL movement. Then again, a few might already have been in. Its impossible to know at this point, but I do understand those borderline WLers being frustrated. Looking at it from the school's perspective though, I do understand the move, but for WLers that doesn't really matter if they don't get in because of it as 2legit pointed out.

Hey, I haven't officially been accepted to Ross yet. If they somehow reject me, my number won't stop at 3. We could wind up going to med school with our grandkids. Though if I can't get into a school that accepts ~1000 new students every year with an average of 3.4/25, I should probably consider something different. By different I mean not showing up slobbering drunk to my interviews, or at least not taking my flask with me and taking a sip from it when asked a difficult question. I'm going to be a doctor somehow, and that's that.

Hey, I haven't officially been accepted to Ross yet. If they somehow reject me, my number won't stop at 3. We could wind up going to med school with our grandkids. Though if I can't get into a school that accepts ~1000 new students every year with an average of 3.4/25, I should probably consider something different. By different I mean not showing up slobbering drunk to my interviews, or at least not taking my flask with me and taking a sip from it when asked a difficult question. I'm going to be a doctor somehow, and that's that.

My catheter just exploded from laughter...

So anyone that gets pulled from the waitlist at either Phoenix or Tucson and has already been accepted to one campus has only one week to decide between them from now until June 1st. After that, they only have 72 hours to decide. Seems like a good way to keep the waitlist progressing.

Just wanted everyone to know that I was accepted at 4:33pm mountain time and I was #54.

Just wanted everyone to know that I was accepted at 4:33pm mountain time and I was #54.

Congrats!! Are you IS or OOS? Also, are you planning on attending Tucson?

Possibly, but I thought AZ was on year round mountain standard time.

Thank you everyone for all your congratulations!

I am so excited for all of the wait list movement and am looking forward to seeing everyone in the Fall!

Go Go Wait list!

I wonder what percentage of applicants selected off the wait list have actually accepted their offer from Tucson? Maybe less than 50% when you combine instate and out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tucson:

Waitlist Position-
14) SmokeyGray - IS; ACCEPTED 03/22/10. 1 other acceptance, 2 other waitlists, waiting on 3 more
16) Ilovewater - IS; ACCEPTED 03/30/10. 3 other acceptances, waiting on 5
17) tmm808 - IS; ACCEPTED 04/13/10. 3 other acceptances
20) SurfdudeJD - IS; ACCEPTED 04/21/10 waiting on 3 others
34) Indiana06 - OOS; ACCEPTED 05/10/10 Accepted @ Phx
39) Nasappah - OOS; ACCEPTED 05/13/10 2 other acceptances, couple waitlists
40) HappyT - IS; ACCEPTED 05/13/10 0 other waitlists; 0 other acceptances
42) ACE28 - IS; ACCEPTED 05/14/10
46) ehandber - IS; ACCEPTED 05/14/10 0 other acceptances/applications.
49) MedHopeful777 - IS, ACCEPTED 05/17/10 0 other waitlists, 0 other acceptances
54) kj92086 - ACCEPTED 05/17/10
61) MadeInReydn - IS; 1 other acceptance (Set on UA, not sure which campus)
62) paiger - IS; 0 other acceptances (2 other waitlists)
81) Happyglucky - IS; 2 other acceptances, waiting on 1
85) sweetlife - IS ; 0 other acceptances
89) aztri - IS; 0 other acceptances
93) countryboydoc - IS; Accepted @ Phx, 2 other acceptances, 3 waitlists, waiting on 3 more
121) sunny1 - IS
123) BearDownAZ - IS; 0 other acceptances (1 waitlist, 1 in TBD)

Phoenix:

Waitlist date-
IS:
03/04
happyglucky - IS--ACCEPTED 03/24/10
Who Dat Nation - IS ACCEPTED 04/06/10
Brahms2010 - IS ACCEPTED 05/07/10
2 LEGIT 2 QUIT - IS
7franks - IS
bminz - IS (Set on Phoenix)
chagramama- IS
Ehandber - IS (WL'd #46 @ Tucson)
MadeInReydn - IS (WL'd #61 @ Tucson)
Opt79- IS

03/12
aztri- IS ACCEPTED 05/18/10 (WL'd #89 @Tucson)
paiger- IS (WL'd #62 @ Tucson)

OOS:
03/05
nyyfan65 - OOS; ACCEPTED 04/16/10
DancinSarah - OOS
JMJ777 - OOS; 1 acceptance, 1 other waitlist
Meducated - OOS
Nasappah - OOS
Phosphorus Ylide - OOS; 1 other acceptance (Will decline and accept Phoenix, if taken off the WL)
ShameFame - OOS

__________________________________________________ _______
TUCSON

Entering Fall 2007:

Around 4/28: 10
Around 5/15: 38
By matriculation day: 53-54

Entering Fall 2008:

3/24 (12 days): 3
3/25 (13 days): 5
4/04 (3 ½ weeks): 12
4/07 (4 weeks): 13
4/10 Tucson and PHX 2nd Look
4/22 (6 weeks): 18
4/28 (6 ½ weeks): 20
5/01 (7 weeks): 25
5/08 (8 weeks): 32
5/12 (8 ½ weeks): 33
5/15 (9 weeks): 39
5/19 (9 ½ weeks): 42
5/23 (10 ½ weeks): 48
5/27 (11 weeks): 49
6/03 (12 weeks): 52
6/05 (12 weeks): 57
6/11 (13 weeks): 59
7/28 (19 ½ weeks): 63
Matriculation day: 65

Entering Fall 2009:

3/18 (7 days): 6
3/25 (2 weeks): 10
3/30 (2 ½ weeks): 11
4/01 (3 weeks): 13
4/08 (4 weeks): 15
4/09-11: Tucson and PHX 2nd Look
4/15 (5 weeks): 17
4/27 (6 ½ weeks): 19
5/04 (7 ½ weeks): 23
5/11 (8 ½ weeks): 25
5/15 (9 weeks): 32
5/18 (9 ½ weeks): 37
5/21 (10 weeks): 40
5/29 (11 weeks): 44
6/05 (12 ½ weeks): 47
7/08 (17 weeks): 49
7/28 (19 ½ weeks): 51
Matriculation day: 55

Entering Fall 2010:

3/15 (3 days): 13
3/22 (10 days): 14
3/30 (2 ½ weeks): 16
4/08-10: PHX 2nd Look
4/13 (4 weeks): 17
4/21 (5 ½ weeks): 20
4/23: Tucson 2nd Look
4/23 (6 weeks): 22
4/25 (6 weeks): 23
5/05 (7 ½ weeks): 28
5/07 (8 weeks): 29
5/10 (8 ½ weeks): 34
5/12 (8 ½ weeks): 38
5/13 (9 weeks): 41
5/14 (9 weeks): 47
5/17 (9 ½ weeks): 54

Last edited:
Alright-

Taking suggestions for a clever name for the blues rock band MH777 and I are starting down in Tucson. The acapella group is called "Docapella" so we gotta try for something like that.

Me- Guitar / Harmonica
MH777- Fiddle / Guitar

Anyone wanna play bass, keys, drums, banjo, washboard, or anything else? (I was going to get Turkelton to play keys for us, but he is off to Baylor!)

Oh, and if there's someone out there that is down for some blues rock vocals... saves me and MH777 from havin' to do it! :laugh:

Alright-

Taking suggestions for a clever name for the blues rock band MH777 and I are starting down in Tucson. The acapella group is called "Docapella" so we gotta try for something like that.

Oh, and if there's someone out there that is down for some blues rock vocals... saves me and MH777 from havin' to do it! :laugh:

How about “The Prescriptions” because you hold the key to enjoying the blues.
If and when I get into Phoenix and you need some guest vocals while touring that part of the state, I’ll jump at the chance. I also happen to play a mean triangle, but that’s about it.

So far I've got:

The Medisinners

Medicaliente (still makes me lol a little... so silly)

One of any number of puns on MD/empty (MD Beer Bottles, etc)

Being punny is hard! I never make puns so it is a strange way to think...

Arizona is in the Mountain time zone, but doesn't always follow it. All of the other states in the Mountain time zone change their clocks for daylight savings time....arizona doesn't. so while it IS in the time zone, it kind of does its own thing.

Alright-

Me- Guitar / Harmonica
MH777- Fiddle / Guitar

Anyone wanna play bass, keys, drums, banjo, washboard, or anything else? (I was going to get Turkelton to play keys for us, but he is off to Baylor!)

haha....sorry erik!!! i wish i could have been in your band.

kind of OT, but BCM has an a capella group coincidentally (or not?) called docapella, though it consists mostly of general grad students apparently. i'm gonna have to change that lol. BTW, when you get your band started, i expect you to send me video links. i wanna see the band.

I am kinda enjoying the name 'MD Bottle Blues'
Though you could always go with the popular Otis Redding pun: 'Docs of the Bay'

By the way seeing Turkelton's name next to mentioning of docapella now has the lawyer from scrubs running around in my head singing the Charles in Charge theme song along with other 80's commercials and show tunes.

I am kinda enjoying the name 'MD Bottle Blues'
Though you could always go with the popular Otis Redding pun: 'Docs of the Bay'

By the way seeing Turkelton's name next to mentioning of docapella now has the lawyer from scrubs running around in my head singing the Charles in Charge theme song along with other 80's commercials and show tunes.

Love the Otis Redding pun....thats good

My last name isn't actually Turkelton, but it IS pretty dang close (2 or so letters off, and two extra letters).....Erik just decides he wants to call me that because of scrubs. the lawyer is great....i've actually youtubed and watched his stuff....he actually sings! (i didn't know that till recently)

Ya, sorry man. The nickname was too easy! Going into medicine after that show came out is probably hard on anyone with those names... Kelso, Cox, Dorian, Turkelton, SnoopDog-Resident, Beardface...dammit.

And I really like "MD Bottle Blues."

Doc of the Bay is funny too, perhaps we'll do a cover of the song and call it that.

:D

You could try a variation of The Sonographers, The Radiolojazzers, or The Defribrillators . . . :laugh:

Alright-

Me- Guitar / Harmonica
MH777- Fiddle / Guitar

I could play cow bell.... :p

The Defibrillators sounds awesome! And Medicaliente is just hilarious!

Damn, if I had known that drinking during interviews was frowned upon, maybe I'd be accepted by now too.

1/2 the year on mountain standard and 1/2 the year on pacific time. Currently we're on pacific. So, we never change our clocks. We actually have no understanding of what daylight savings time is except that it changes what time our TV shows come on.

Arizona is always considered to be on Arizona - Mountain Standard Time, regardless of time of year and what other states are doing. (We are never "on" Pacific Time, even if it is currently the same time on the west coast states as here, the Mountain Time Zone is referred to as Mountain Daylight Time for those states, and reservations, that participate).

Last edited:
Arizona is always considered to be on Arizona - Mountain Standard Time, regardless of time of year and what other states are doing. (We are never "on" Pacific Time, even if it is currently the same time on the west coast states as here, the Mountain Time Zone is referred to as Mountain Daylight Time for those states, and reservations, that participate).

Yes, I believe I had read that before (on Wikipedia perhaps?) during an argument with a friend from another state. I suppose I could have stated that our clocks say it is the same time as it is in MST half of the year and the other half of the year they same the time as the Pacific time zone states. But yes, I know what you mean since if we were on those time zones, it would imply that we participate in their changing times. Of course, it sounds so much more eloquent when you say it. I've always liked not having to change my clocks, although I'm always slightly annoyed when that TV show I wanted to watch is suddenly on an hour earlier/later and I wasn't expecting it.

Yes, I believe I had read that before (on Wikipedia perhaps?) during an argument with a friend from another state. I suppose I could have stated that our clocks say it is the same time as it is in MST half of the year and the other half of the year they same the time as the Pacific time zone states. But yes, I know what you mean since if we were on those time zones, it would imply that we participate in their changing times. Of course, it sounds so much more eloquent when you say it. I've always liked not having to change my clocks, although I'm always slightly annoyed when that TV show I wanted to watch is suddenly on an hour earlier/later and I wasn't expecting it.

Not sure if it is on Wiki, though everything is, I think we learn about "time" in grade school.

Mountain Standard Time stays the same all year. Pacific Standard Time is the same all year. If time zones change their clocks for daylight saving, they are considered to be on Daylight Time. So, we are the normal ones on MST all year.

Edit: I guess what I am trying to say is, under your logic, you could just as easily say "Arizona is on MST all year and Californians abandon Pacific Time for our time during the summer, hence *they* are on MST half the year."

Last edited:
haha...another PLUS to the University of Arizona: you will NOT lose an hour for studying/partying/hanging out with Erik/etc become Arizona does not have DST!!!! wooooot!

No kidding. Day light savings time is the stupidest thing in the world. I hate when the power goes out and I have to reset the clocks, so why the hell would I want to voluntarily do it two more times a year!?!?!? Plus, day light savings time makes it stay light until like 8:30 in the summer, which really screws me up. I don't want to go to be like an hour after it gets dark...hell, in Phoenix or Tucson in the summer you can't even hardly go outside until after its been dark for an hour and cooled down a little.

I want to take a moment to publicly profess my love for MadeInReydn. You rival Mr. MadEvans in my book of greatness.

Last edited:
Has anyone got the Tucson number lately...otherwise I will try calling later.

Yep - just called. We've officially ended the May 15th honeymoon. We're still at 54. That's not to say that we wont see spurts of movement, or a continual steady pace of 3-4 spots a week during May and the first week of June. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long! :xf::xf: If anyone would like to take a turn calling on Thursday or Friday, just say so - thanks! :D

Last edited:
:soexcited: WAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! ACCEPTED TO PHOENIX!!!!!!! :soexcited:

Congrats, aztri. I'm exicted for you and I'm glad to see the Phoenix wait list come alive. I just hope it's my turn is soon so I can join you.

“Hope never abandons you; you abandon it." (George Weinbe)

Thank you guys so much!!! I can't wait to meet you all this fall! Now let's see some more SDNers get!!

Big time congrats! That was your first acceptance if I recall correctly, right? If so, that makes it that much better! Enjoy the hell out of it!

Hooray, aztri, that's fantastic news! You'll fit in with us perfectly!!!! (Although I guess you probably knew that already!!) :D

Congrats aztri!

For people who have already been accepted to Tucson, what happens after you send in your letter accepting the offer? Do they send you a big packet in the mail with more information? If so, about how soon after you send in your letter do you get it?

Congrats aztri!

For people who have already been accepted to Tucson, what happens after you send in your letter accepting the offer? Do they send you a big packet in the mail with more information? If so, about how soon after you send in your letter do you get it?

my friend just told me about 10 minutes ago that when he accepted tucson via email, they wrote "thanks." ... that was it so far

Congrats aztri!

Nothing by mail. I even emailed them to ask. I guess I kind of understand it in our digital age, but I like the traditional big packet of info that you can strategically leave on your coffee table when people come over to visit...

Status
Not open for further replies.