2009-2010 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I thought I would just make a note of a couple things I have found out and wanted to make sure everyone knew:

- We HAVE to get a titer for Hep B in addition to the series of shots to show immunity. Also, I had chicken pox as a kid, so if you did too then you will need a titer for that as well.

- ArizonaMed is open! It has our society groups posted, as well as the schedule for prologue week :)

- When I stopped by I asked for an update on the WL and it was at #68!

I didn't have a chance to read posts previous to mine, so if some of this info is redundant I apologize. I hope everyone is having a great summer! See you at the end of July!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I thought I would just make a note of a couple things I have found out and wanted to make sure everyone knew:

- We HAVE to get a titer for Hep B in addition to the series of shots to show immunity. Also, I had chicken pox as a kid, so if you did too then you will need a titer for that as well.

- ArizonaMed is open! It has our society groups posted, as well as the schedule for prologue week :)

I didn't have a chance to read posts previous to mine, so if some of this info is redundant I apologize. I hope everyone is having a great summer! See you at the end of July!

Awesome to hear that's finally up! I wonder if anyone on here is in my groups. I'll have to check right now.

Awesome to hear that's finally up! I wonder if anyone on here is in my groups. I'll have to check right now.

I don't recognize any of the names in my groups. That's OK, I'm psyched to get to know everyone in our class.

Prologue looks like a fun week too. Nothing too difficult, but I think that's the point. I noticed orientation wasn't on the interactive calendar, does anyone else have that information on their UA thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I don't recognize any of the names in my groups. That's OK, I'm psyched to get to know everyone in our class.

Prologue looks like a fun week too. Nothing too difficult, but I think that's the point. I noticed orientation wasn't on the interactive calendar, does anyone else have that information on their UA thing?

Nice! I checked mine as well - don't recognize anyone, but that's ok :) I also don't have access to orientation week on the calendar.

68 is great! We're still basically following the 3rd trendline - and running out of graph!

2010WL_20.jpg

Why? Brahms wouldn't have. :p

Yeah, but Brahms2010, also known as Robot Brahms, is not just any old cyborg version of one of the greatest composers to ever live. He's the greatest thing to hit music since the Spice Girls and just the other day was showing me several new chords he invented. I'll rewrite the song to incorporate them:

(E♯) All we are (Ćm/Ã) saaaaaaaaaaaying is (Qsus16 with a cherry on top) give peace a channnnce

There's no reason that we shouldn't start a Phoenix band to show Erik and his gang of misfits in Tucson how it's done. I have no idea what we'd call ourselves but with Brahms2010 on our side we'd hit the top of the charts in no time with such timeless tracks as 'White Coat Woman,' 'Myocardial Infarction Blues,' and 'Help (My Body Has Failed to Recognize Its Own Constituent Parts as Self, Causing an Immune Response Against My Own Cells and Tissues Which Makes Me Sad).'

Yeah, but Brahms2010, also known as Robot Brahms, is not just any old cyborg version of one of the greatest composers to ever live. He's the greatest thing to hit music since the Spice Girls and just the other day was showing me several new chords he invented. I'll rewrite the song to incorporate them:

(E♯) All we are (Ćm/Ã) saaaaaaaaaaaying is (Qsus16 with a cherry on top) give peace a channnnce

:laugh: Hahahaha, awesome :thumbup:

I was reading through some of the forms online that we have to fill out and I found this, "Transportation is provided for you. Please meet at the CatTran stop outside the Arizona Health Sciences Library at 8:00 am -- staff will need to check you in. We ask that you do not drive over yourself."

When I first read it, I thought they were telling us to not drive our cars over ourselves, which we should all know as incoming medical students. Plus, driving over yourself, other than perhaps your foot, would be pretty hard to do anyways. Then I quickly realized they meant don't drive to the sports complex...:rolleyes:

I think the easiest way to drive over yourself would be to crash your car without wearing a seatbelt. You would then go through the windshield and, upon landing, get run over by your own car.

I think the easiest way to drive over yourself would be to crash your car without wearing a seatbelt. You would then go through the windshield and, upon landing, get run over by your own car.

:laugh: Am I a bad person for wanting to see that happen? I mean I'd want to see it happen to a bad person of course...

Hey Everyone,
Here is the reply I received from Ann about titers:

You only need titers for the Hep B and Varicella. You only need to show proof of two MMR vaccines.
Ann

Hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,
Here is the reply I received from Ann about titers:

You only need titers for the Hep B and Varicella. You only need to show proof of two MMR vaccines.
Ann

Hope this helps :)

:claps: Phew - I didn't call in to ask, but guessed that we wouldn't need titers for MMR. Does anyone have an updated WL number? I feel bad for anyone in the 70's - I hope you are pleasantly surprised soon! :xf:

Last edited:
I am applying to schools this summer and am considering UA. I am going to apply to Tucson, but heard that Phoenix was the number one city in the US for kidnapping. Do you guys feel it is safe there? I've never been, but just found out this bit of information recently. I've heard that it's otherwise a pretty cool city.

I am applying to schools this summer and am considering UA. I am going to apply to Tucson, but heard that Phoenix was the number one city in the US for kidnapping. Do you guys feel it is safe there? I've never been, but just found out this bit of information recently. I've heard that it's otherwise a pretty cool city.

I believe most of the kidnapping victims are tied to the kidnappers (Mexican/Southwestern Drug Cartels) in some way, either as former associates or coyote clients or stuff like that, so unless you're listing Colombian drug mule as one of your activities on AMCAS I think you should be fine. Plus I don't think the area near the Phoenix medical school is where most of this goes down.

I believe most of the kidnapping victims are tied to the kidnappers (Mexican/Southwestern Drug Cartels) in some way, either as former associates or coyote clients or stuff like that, so unless you're listing Colombian drug mule as one of your activities on AMCAS I think you should be fine. Plus I don't think the area near the Phoenix medical school is where most of this goes down.

Like :thumbup:

Hahaha, Shep, you're my favorite. :)

Yeah, I live downtown and I don't walk around by myself after dark or anything, but I have no problem riding my bike to and from school and always feel safe. I often see joggers and other pedestrians and none of them seem to look over their shoulders or anything. I think it's fine, and despite the heat, I really do like Phoenix. Besides, I LOVE the school, so it's worth it! :D

Dangit, do you think this would have helped make me more distinguishable? I just had the usual volunteering stuff. Oh, well. :)

Hahaha, Shep, you're my favorite. :)

Yeah, I live downtown and I don't walk around by myself after dark or anything, but I have no problem riding my bike to and from school and always feel safe. I often see joggers and other pedestrians and none of them seem to look over their shoulders or anything. I think it's fine, and despite the heat, I really do like Phoenix. Besides, I LOVE the school, so it's worth it! :D

Are there designated bike parking areas on campus? I was thinking about getting a bike too!

Are you serious? I've lived in Tempe/Phoenix area my entire life and have not once felt unsafe. If you're going to be the victim of a crime here, it's probably going to be car theft, although I think Phoenix has a much better car theft rate now than a few years ago. Unless you plan on hanging out around illegal drop houses or you are going to be doing some serious drug smuggling operations, you have nothing to worry about. It is true though. Phoenix is actually 2nd in the entire world, second only to Mexico City, for kidnapping. I really don't know where these kidnappings occur though, because I can't even pinpoint any specific "ghetto" in Phoenix.

Anyone on here willing to read/edit my PS? I realize this isn't the PS thread or anything but none of those people are willing to respond ...

By the way Rickenbacker I didn't mean for that response to come off as snarky or anything. Safety is definitely a valid concern when moving to a new place, especially a metropolitan area like Phoenix. With that being said, I'm sure you'll love it here like the rest of us do. It's a little sweaty at the moment, but for a majority of the year it's a really cool place to hang out and it's a great time to be applying to the medical school here as well. The surrounding environment you're in during med school is very important so if you have any more questions about Phoenix (kidnapping capital of the country) or Tucson (boredom capital of the country), please let us know. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we'd be happy to give you any additional information or answer questions regarding UA.

By the way Rickenbacker I didn't mean for that response to come off as snarky or anything. Safety is definitely a valid concern when moving to a new place, especially a metropolitan area like Phoenix. With that being said, I'm sure you'll love it here like the rest of us do. It's a little sweaty at the moment, but for a majority of the year it's a really cool place to hang out and it's a great time to be applying to the medical school here as well. The surrounding environment you're in during med school is very important so if you have any more questions about Phoenix (kidnapping capital of the country) or Tucson (boredom capital of the country), please let us know. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we'd be happy to give you any additional information or answer questions regarding UA.
Ditto. I won't be going to UA, at least not this year, but I didn't mean to sound so incredulous either. I can see how you could wonder that after hearing that statistic and not having visited. I love it here though but yeah it is hot. We spend months of the summer averaging over 110. The winters make it worth it.

I'm not offended. I had just never heard anything like that about Phoenix until recently so was wondering what current residents were thinking. You guys don't seem too worried about it so I guess I shouldn't be either. Thanks!

I have lived in Phoenix my entire life and never felt like i was going to get kidnapped. I actually didn't even know that we were number 2, oh well maybe next year we can be number 1. In all honesty though, I feel safer here than many cities that i have been to. There are bad areas but you definitely know when you are in one and to leave quickly and quietly.

Melissaliss, I can't promise magic like my sister but i can check your PS for grammar and all that jazz. PM me and i'll send you my email if you need a second look.

It is true though. Phoenix is actually 2nd in the entire world, second only to Mexico City, for kidnapping. I really don't know where these kidnappings occur though, because I can't even pinpoint any specific "ghetto" in Phoenix.

Geez, I didn't realize kidnapping was such a pervasive problem in Phoenix amongst those involved in the drug trade. Are all the victims of the kidnappings tied to the cartel in some way? I must admit I'm a little creeped out by this now.

Are there designated bike parking areas on campus? I was thinking about getting a bike too!

Yeah, there are several different bike racks near both the main buildings of the Phoenix campus and the downtown ASU buildings. I always bring two locks, though - a U lock for the frame and a wire lock to go around the wheels and frame. I think it's probably overkill, though - there are always students and faculty/staff walking around and the security guard is there during all hours of operation, so I think bikes are quite safe.

Sweet America, I'm home!

For those interested, this was my trip as it actually happened:

1. Arizona
2. California
3. New Mexico
4. Colorado
5. Virginia
6. West Virginia
7. Washington DC
8. North Carolina
9. Alabama
10. Mississippi
11. Tennessee
12. Louisiana
13. Texas

and then home again! It was a blast!

And, now real life is starting again. I can't wait to get to Tucson and start kicking some asses, medically.

Found out today that the WL is at 73! It's moving faster than I predicted. I'm guessing it'll move another 2-3 spots by matriculation day. Good luck to everyone in the 70's! :D I'll have a plot later - I've got to fix the scale and format issues.

I just heard news that #78 just got in to Tucson. Wow! Congrats to her!

:wow:! My guess is, #'s 74-77 had committed to other schools - I guess when it rains it pours! Congrats to everyone who's getting pulled! Hopefully the Phoenix campus will experience something similar :xf:

Tucson:

Waitlist Position-
14) SmokeyGray - IS; ACCEPTED 03/22/10. 1 other acceptance, 2 other waitlists, waiting on 3 more
16) Ilovewater - IS; ACCEPTED 03/30/10. 3 other acceptances, waiting on 5
17) tmm808 - IS; ACCEPTED 04/13/10. 3 other acceptances
20) SurfdudeJD - IS; ACCEPTED 04/21/10 waiting on 3 others
34) Indiana06 - OOS; ACCEPTED 05/10/10 Accepted @ Phx
39) Nasappah - OOS; ACCEPTED 05/13/10 2 other acceptances, couple waitlists
40) HappyT - IS; ACCEPTED 05/13/10 0 other waitlists; 0 other acceptances
42) ACE28 - IS; ACCEPTED 05/14/10
46) ehandber - IS; ACCEPTED 05/14/10 0 other acceptances/applications.
49) MedHopeful777 - IS, ACCEPTED 05/17/10 0 other waitlists, 0 other acceptances
54) kj92086 - ACCEPTED 05/17/10
61) MadeInReydn - IS; ACCEPTED 06/01/10 1 other acceptance (Set on UA, not sure which campus)
62) paiger - IS; ACCEPTED 06/02/10 0 other acceptances (2 other waitlists)
63) jlamee ACCEPTED 06/02/10
66) jcslater ACCEPTED 06/14/10
79) brophy - IS; Accepted at Phoenix
81) Happyglucky - IS; 2 other acceptances, waiting on 1
82) 7franks
85) sweetlife - IS ; 0 other acceptances
89) aztri - IS; 0 other acceptances
93) countryboydoc - IS; Accepted @ Phx, 2 other acceptances, 3 waitlists, waiting on 3 more
121) sunny1 - IS
123) BearDownAZ - IS; 0 other acceptances (1 waitlist, 1 in TBD)

Phoenix:

Waitlist date-
IS:
03/04
happyglucky - IS--ACCEPTED 03/24/10
Who Dat Nation - IS ACCEPTED 04/06/10
Brahms2010 - IS ACCEPTED 05/07/10
MadeInReydn - IS ACCEPTED 05/18/10
brophy - IS ACCEPTED 06/04/2010
2 LEGIT 2 QUIT - IS
7franks - IS
bminz - IS
chagramama- IS
Ehandber - IS
jlamee- IS
Opt79- IS
SUNS 10- IS

03/12
aztri- IS ACCEPTED 05/18/10
paiger- IS

OOS:
03/05
nyyfan65 - OOS; ACCEPTED 04/16/10
Phosphorus Ylide - OOS; ACCEPTED 1 other acceptance (Will decline and accept Phoenix, if taken off the WL)
DancinSarah - OOS
JMJ777 - OOS; 1 acceptance, 1 other waitlist
Meducated - OOS
Nasappah - OOS
ShameFame - OOS

__________________________________________________ _______
TUCSON

Entering Fall 2007:

Around 4/28: 10
Around 5/15: 38
By matriculation day: 53-54

Entering Fall 2008:

3/24 (12 days): 3
3/25 (13 days): 5
4/04 (3 ½ weeks): 12
4/07 (4 weeks): 13
4/10 Tucson and PHX 2nd Look
4/22 (6 weeks): 18
4/28 (6 ½ weeks): 20
5/01 (7 weeks): 25
5/08 (8 weeks): 32
5/12 (8 ½ weeks): 33
5/15 (9 weeks): 39
5/19 (9 ½ weeks): 42
5/23 (10 ½ weeks): 48
5/27 (11 weeks): 49
6/03 (12 weeks): 52
6/05 (12 weeks): 57
6/11 (13 weeks): 59
7/28 (19 ½ weeks): 63
Matriculation day: 65

Entering Fall 2009:

3/18 (7 days): 6
3/25 (2 weeks): 10
3/30 (2 ½ weeks): 11
4/01 (3 weeks): 13
4/08 (4 weeks): 15
4/09-11: Tucson and PHX 2nd Look
4/15 (5 weeks): 17
4/27 (6 ½ weeks): 19
5/04 (7 ½ weeks): 23
5/11 (8 ½ weeks): 25
5/15 (9 weeks): 32
5/18 (9 ½ weeks): 37
5/21 (10 weeks): 40
5/29 (11 weeks): 44
6/05 (12 ½ weeks): 47
7/08 (17 weeks): 49
7/28 (19 ½ weeks): 51
Matriculation day: 55

Entering Fall 2010:

3/15 (3 days): 13
3/22 (10 days): 14
3/30 (2 ½ weeks): 16
4/08-10: PHX 2nd Look
4/13 (4 weeks): 17
4/21 (5 ½ weeks): 20
4/23: Tucson 2nd Look
4/23 (6 weeks): 22
4/25 (6 weeks): 23
5/05 (7 ½ weeks): 28
5/07 (8 weeks): 29
5/10 (8 ½ weeks): 34
5/12 (8 ½ weeks): 38
5/13 (9 weeks): 41
5/14 (9 weeks): 47
5/17 (9 ½ weeks): 54
5/19 (10 weeks): 55
5/24 (10 ½ weeks): 58
6/01 (11 ½ weeks): 61
6/02 (11 ½ weeks): 63
6/08 (~12 weeks): 65
6/14 (13 weeks): 66
7/08 (17 weeks): 73

Last edited:

I just got off the phone with admissions and they told me that they are still on #73. Eric did you hear that directly from whomever has spot 78?

I just got off the phone with admissions and they told me that they are still on #73. Eric did you hear that directly from whomever has spot 78?

What Eric forgot to mention was that during his cross country travels he ran into a Native American shaman who gave him some wicked crazy peyote to smoke and that while on his mystical trip through time and space he acquired the power of precognition, which enables him to see deep into the future. So pre-congratulations to waitlist number 78, who will be accepted next Thursday. Yay!

Wow! Sorry guys, I must've misheard. It was a case of a friend of mine said a friend of HERS got in today, and my friend said her friend said her number was 78. :D

Sorry to misinform.

Also, Spain has been disqualified from the World Cup and they've replaced them with Britain due to goal differential.

Bummer, I was hoping that the person I talked to at admissions wasn't up to date with which number the wait list had reached. I'm #80 so I'll keep my fingers crossed you heard right.

Wow! Sorry guys, I must've misheard. It was a case of a friend of mine said a friend of HERS got in today, and my friend said her friend said her number was 78. :D

Sorry to misinform.

Also, Spain has been disqualified from the World Cup and they've replaced them with Britain due to goal differential.

:thumbup:

Any word on where the WL is at? I really hope it got to at least 75. As for Phoenix, I hope 2 Legit and our other SDN friends got pulled. :xf::xf::xf:

Any word on where the WL is at? I really hope it got to at least 75. As for Phoenix, I hope 2 Legit and our other SDN friends got pulled. :xf::xf::xf:

When is the first day of classes for PHX? what about orientation?

I was actually wondering the same thing about the WL...that's why I decided to check on this thread. Oh well, I hope they tell us at orientation or prologue.

When is the first day of classes for PHX? what about orientation?

Phoenix had orientation last week (the whole week I think), so I am assuming they started class this week. Maybe some one from Phoenix can confirm this, but I doubt any of them will check this thread so we may never know.

I was actually wondering the same thing about the WL...that's why I decided to check on this thread. Oh well, I hope they tell us at orientation or prologue.

Phoenix had orientation last week (the whole week I think), so I am assuming they started class this week. Maybe some one from Phoenix can confirm this, but I doubt any of them will check this thread so we may never know.

Yep, we started yesterday.

Hi all! Congrats to those of you starting at the UACOM-Phx. Just wondering your stats if you wouldn't mind sharing... I'm IS and would love to go to UACOM, but have a borderline MCAT with a 27 in one sitting, 28 composite. GPA is 3.5 science, 3.7 cum. Good ER's, LOC's and all that, and of course am applying, but wondering if I've got an actual shot. Thanks for your input!

Hi all! Congrats to those of you starting at the UACOM-Phx. Just wondering your stats if you wouldn't mind sharing... I'm IS and would love to go to UACOM, but have a borderline MCAT with a 27 in one sitting, 28 composite. GPA is 3.5 science, 3.7 cum. Good ER's, LOC's and all that, and of course am applying, but wondering if I've got an actual shot. Thanks for your input!

Hey there! Glad you're interested in UACOM Phx. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we'd love to see you around next year. To answer your question as someone not connected to admissions at all I can really only direct you towards this link: http://medicine.arizona.edu/prospective-students/phoenix/student-profile/class-statistics which should give you a loose idea of the academic make-up of the class of 2014. Good luck and if you have any questions related to what it's like being a student here, hit us up in the 2011 admissions class thread!

Being IS, I'd say you definitely have a chance, and probably a good chance at that. Is a 27-28 on the MCAT going to wow anybody? No, but as an AZ resident, it won't keep you out either. Both campuses seem to take the approach of determining that you meet a certain minimum level of intellectual ability (so you don't flunk out), and then from there don't seem to give "the numbers" as much weight. Instead, they focus on bringing in well-rounded applicants who will not just be smart doctors, but also very caring doctors.

Thanks shepardsun and lrkoehle. Appreciate the feedback and definitely hope to see you around campus next year!

Thanks shepardsun and lrkoehle. Appreciate the feedback and definitely hope to see you around campus next year!

I'm concerned about shep dropping out, but I'll be around.

I just wanted to post a final plot for the WL movement. Ann confirmed to me during orientation that we maxed out at 73 - so there was zero movement for most (or all) of July.

Here's to all the 2011 applicants! Hope to see you next year :D

2010+WL_22.jpg

I'm concerned about shep dropping out, but I'll be around.

Is there an inverse correlation between MCAT scores and dropping out? Because if so I'm screwed and you're TOTALLY safe dude

Status
Not open for further replies.