2009-2010 Meharry Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I called on friday because I was told the week before that the waitlist would be ranked on wednesday. I been in contact with admissions since I first processed my app, so I could know my chances lol. An they told me my rank on the waitlist and that fifty ppl last year were pulled off. I think we still have hope. There really always so nice to me when I call admissions and say Im good for calling. We still have hope ppl. They are about to start pulling ppl off. I was told they are going to be meeting next week to start. I have faith and Im praying. We will get in. Just make yourself known so they know you want to get in.

Divajai, when you asked for your waitlist ranking did they give you a specific numerical assignment or did they give you a general percentile assignment??

Im glad the waitlist will begin to move fairly soon. Ive been on edge for a long time. if they usually pull 50 waitlisters, then that means approximately 50% of the entire waitlist will be getting phone call, being that their waitlist is typically 100 applicants deep. Please correct me if im being too optimistic.

Members don't see this ad.

Divajai, when you asked for your waitlist ranking did they give you a specific numerical assignment or did they give you a general percentile assignment??

Im glad the waitlist will begin to move fairly soon. Ive been on edge for a long time. if they usually pull 50 waitlisters, then that means approximately 50% of the entire waitlist will be getting phone call, being that their waitlist is typically 100 applicants deep. Please correct me if im being too optimistic.

It should be a requirement for ALL medical schools to give you a numerical ranking and also after 5/15 ALL schools should post how many are on the list and your position. I don't understand why play this coy game of ohhhh you don't know where you are and we don't want to tell you how many are on the list and just wait patiently for possibly no chance of getting off.

If they did this at least we can move on with our lives like reapplying or summer vacation or whatever.

I think Meharry will have ~100 on their wait list, when I call earlier this month they said 80-90, but that was before a few more rounds of interviews so safely 150? That is still 33% but maybe they won't take 50 this year. Who knows it's all just speculation, for all we know there could be 400 on the list and they will take 10 this year.

Who knows it's all just speculation, for all we know there could be 400 on the list and they will take 10 this year.

true, true....but i do believe that there is a "method for this speculation"...its not random...it seems as if the members on the committee and in the admin dept. have been doing this for a long time at Meharry and they know the numbers, they know the trends. there might not be 50 waiters pulled, but there must be close to 50....so keep your head up!!!

If any of you waiters gets pulled from the notorious list please do us all a favor and let us know!! and im also talking to those that be on SDN steady creeping and gathering info without ever posting or registering (ya, thats right...im talking about YOU!! quit creepin and join the party)....if you get pulled STOP CREEPING, PLEASE REGISTER and let us know the word!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
true, true....but i do believe that there is a "method for this speculation"...its not random...it seems as if the members on the committee and in the admin dept. have been doing this for a long time at Meharry and they know the numbers, they know the trends. there might not be 50 waiters pulled, but there must be close to 50....so keep your head up!!!

For sure. I mean we are here on these forums because we don't have the hard facts. So we have to make educated assumptions hahaha.

Were you a creeper too? I see you have 4 posts! I never understood why people just read and don't post.

If any of you waiters gets pulled from the notorious list please do us all a favor and let us know!! and im also talking to those that be on SDN steady creeping and gathering info without ever posting or registering (ya, thats right...im talking about YOU!! quit creepin and join the party)....if you get pulled STOP CREEPING, PLEASE REGISTER and let us know the word!!!

LOL! LOVE it! :laugh:

They told me how many ppl were ahead of me. I do agree that there should be bout at least one hundred ppl on the list. An yeah we have know idea how many ppl will get pulled off but we still have hope an I'm sure it will be at least a good number. I agree that I hate when skools play this game an don't tell the real story bout the list. But we all have each other I hope we all getin then we can hang an study together lol.

It's a list of people who have to wait...

Oh, okay correct. Sounds like a lot of good optimism around here. I am on the waitlist at Meharry. So we're waiting for accepted individuals to turn down their spots at MMC?:D

You don't know what a waitlist is...you're asking if we're waiting for others to drop their acceptances...it's just a bit weird, is all.

You don't know what a waitlist is...you're asking if we're waiting for others to drop their acceptances...it's just a bit weird, is all.

It's totally weird :thumbdown:

It seems really immature, why would you ask what a wait list is if you were wait listed?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's totally weird :thumbdown:

It seems really immature, why would you ask what a wait list is if you were wait listed?

Don't be so intense guys, I apologize for trying to lighten up the mood around here. Anyways I appreciate the warm welcome to the thread. I'll be sure to stop by often as we together wait to get off the wait list.:xf:

Don't be so intense guys, I apologize for trying to lighten up the mood around here. Anyways I appreciate the warm welcome to the thread. I'll be sure to stop by often as we together wait to get off the wait list.:xf:

Your comments were just a little bit out of the blue. But it's all good, I think everyone is just tense because on M we will all find out where we are on the list :scared:

I hope we all get off to!!!!

Your comments were just a little bit out of the blue. But it's all good, I think everyone is just tense because on M we will all find out where we are on the list :scared:

I hope we all get off to!!!!

huh? Are they are going to contact (email) us and let us know where we are at on the waitlist?

Were you a creeper too? I see you have 4 posts! I never understood why people just read and don't post.

Haha. good observation. i was indeed a creeper, a very good one at that. ive been creeping since august of 2009. its definitely a lifestyle choice. haha. weird?? i know. why we do it??? i dont know. i think SDN is the best way to stay up with whatever is going. so to all of you who post on here and share experiences and info...THANK YOU!! you guys have no idea...NO IDEA how much its appreciated by us creepers (and non-creepers too).

anyways...my mother is already running her mouth to her friends about me starting medical school this summer in Nashville...so the pressure is on because my mother is not known for lying.

Haha. good observation. i was indeed a creeper, a very good one at that. ive been creeping since august of 2009. its definitely a lifestyle choice. haha. weird?? i know. why we do it??? i dont know. i think SDN is the best way to stay up with whatever is going. so to all of you who post on here and share experiences and info...THANK YOU!! you guys have no idea...NO IDEA how much its appreciated by us creepers (and non-creepers too).

anyways...my mother is already running her mouth to her friends about me starting medical school this summer in Nashville...so the pressure is on because my mother is not known for lying.

That's cute, it sounds like your mama is very proud of you! Don't view it as pressure, it just means that she is excited and believes in you! :thumbup:

Hey fellow waiters and waitresses

I spoke to Mr. Mosley a few days ago and asked him about the waitlist. He told me that the high waitlist consisted of 15-20 people. He also said that no acceptances will be sent out until early May. So rest easy my friends until May. Then we can tense up again and frequently check our emails hoping to see @mmc in our inboxes.

He also said May 15 will be another big day for our chances as other schools will begin to accept students on their WL.

Mr. Mosely said he expected 50-70 seats to open up. Therefore I am pretty sure the WL will be near 200 just to ensure the class will be filled. Lets stay positive and keep praying.

Its funny to me bc I feel like the people who want to be at MMC the most are in this thread. I wish they could see all of our geniune enthusiasm and excitement to be in Nashville.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you when we all get in. (wishful thinking)

Yeah, I agree with that. I figured that the high waitlist was about that many ppl. And yeah, he did say that May 15 would be the day you prob here. But he asked me if I got accepted anywhere else and I had so he told me to call before the 15. So I think you should let them know if you got in somewhere else but that you want to go there. Yeah, ppl all of us are keeping the hope alive. If we just make ourself heard that might get us some preference; you never know. I honestly feel like the person to talk to is Mr.Mosley. I dont ever talk to anybody else.:p

I spoke to Mr. Mosley a few days ago and asked him about the waitlist. He told me that the high waitlist consisted of 15-20 people. He also said that no acceptances will be sent out until early May. So rest easy my friends until May. Then we can tense up again and frequently check our emails hoping to see @mmc in our inboxes.

He also said May 15 will be another big day for our chances as other schools will begin to accept students on their WL.

Mr. Mosely said he expected 50-70 seats to open up. Therefore I am pretty sure the WL will be near 200 just to ensure the class will be filled. Lets stay positive and keep praying.

Its funny to me bc I feel like the people who want to be at MMC the most are in this thread. I wish they could see all of our geniune enthusiasm and excitement to be in Nashville.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you when we all get in. (wishful thinking)

Omg mom is def telling the world the same thing. This is my mom at the gas station
Clerk: Hi
Mom: can I have $50 on pump 4.
Clerk: ok
Mom: by the way, I have 2 girls that are graduating in May. Here is the invitation (my pic is on it). 1 is going to medical school in Nashville, shes 20 and the other daughter is 18 and is going for her Ph D in phyc
Clerk: oh really u must be a proud mom.

Conversation lasts for 45 minutes...lol
Even though Im on the waitlist.
Talk about embarassing

I'm on the waitlist too guys! Have been accepted to other places but I'm hoping to hear from Meharry! Pray guys! Pray!!! Be hopeful!!!

I just called Mr. Mosley and he told me there are 200+ people on the wait list. There are about 30 with double acceptances and 22 of them said they are going to stay where they are. He said potentially 10 people will be moving after this W.

He also told I'm on the ranked list (I'm assuming it's the high list) but near the bottom. I guess the high list = people who are ranked, low list = people who are not ranked. So that is a good thing :love:

He is there right now so call him asap!!

I just called Mr. Mosley and he told me there are 200+ people on the wait list. There are about 30 with double acceptances and 22 of them said they are going to stay where they are. He said potentially 10 people will be moving after this W.

He also told I'm on the ranked list (I'm assuming it's the high list) but near the bottom. I guess the high list = people who are ranked, low list = people who are not ranked. So that is a good thing :love:

did he give you a numerical assignment? or did he simply say you were "ranked"???

Hey everyone. So I called Admissions and they said the wait list isn't ranked. So kind of confusing. However, they said that an email was sent ~1 week ago to the people who were on the top 10% of the wait list (~20 people).

The is the last week they are interviewing as well so there are still more people :(

They told me there has been some wait list movement but more will be coming in the upcoming weeks.

It's all so confusing!!!!:rolleyes:

did he give you a numerical assignment? or did he simply say you were "ranked"???

He didn't give me a numerical assignment he simply said I was on the "ranked list". Then I asked him if that was a good thing and he said yes, we have 200+ people on the list and not everyone is on the ranked list.

Diva got a numerical assignment so it's kind of confusing. I'm wondering if some people are on the ranked list and the top people on that list are on the high list??????

UGH....confusion...

It is very confusing. I called the office today and the lady told me the list is unranked and that it is basically a pool. A few minutes later I call Mr Mosley and he tells me there is a high, medium and low waitlist. I am very confused. I really want to attend Meharry and this is very nerve wrecking.

Now am hearing that some people have already been pulled out of the list. I hope someone can clarify:confused:.

Maybe some ppl are on the ranked because they haven't been ranked yet. Because if there still interviewing then they prob haven't had time to rank eveybody.

Maybe some ppl are on the ranked because they haven't been ranked yet. Because if there still interviewing then they prob haven't had time to rank eveybody.

It seems like we r all getting different info. Definitely confusing...well I guess we just have to wait...

Mr m did tell me there is possible movement on w

Well maybe some ppl r more informed than others. But let's all just pray y'all well be ok at least we have hope. An they have to have some wY of pulling ppl off I feel like it's ranked.

there is definitely a discrepancy between what mr. mosley says and what the admin office says....i dont believe the people in the admin offices attend the committee meetings because they essentially have no say in the whole process, they just carry out most of the clerical stuff.

whenever i browse some of the post on here you can definitely see the discrepancy. for instance...on april 18th GOTTABAMD posted on SDN that he/she interviewed March 29 and recieved an email on April 8th stating that he/she was ranked in the top 5% of the list, and i dont believe he/she is lying. BUT when i looked at the posts on here people said they were calling the admin office and the admin office was saying the list is "NOT ranked" and then they said the list "will be ranked" mid-late April (but gottabamd received an email on April 8th that references some type of ranking)

...and on my actual interview day, Mr. Mosley verbally said to the all interviewers that they have "pools"...a high pool and a low pool...which is a reference to a ranked list...they may not give everyone a numerical assignment, but you are essentially graded (composite score) and then put somewhere in a general pool which is separated by cut-off scores.

the words from mr. mosley who is 'actually apart of the committee' has been pretty much consistent. and when it comes to logic..consistency is key

anyways...that is what i believe from what i gathered...but i still could be wrong.

i think what i worried about is...there is obviously some open spots as of RIGHT NOW according to some of the previous post today....AND there is also an interview session going on today, right now as i type...so if there are open spots and if there are maybe 3-4 interviewers today that the admin committee really likes, will they just send them an acceptance email without putting them on the waitlist....which thus eliminates some spots for the people who have been patiently waiting on this list...questions, questions, questions.

well, inspite of all the confusion...the story will soon unfold and hear-say and assumptions will just blow in the wind...it wont matter...either you will be IN or you will be OUT...the composite scores have been calculated and 'supposedly' your pool has been selected.

I agree with you. I believe Mr.Mosley he's the director of admissions and on the committee. He knows what he's talking about. So everybody can believe what they want to believe. Everyone knows there going to have to rank the list and Im sure it would have to be ranked by now because deadline for accepting your offer has come and passed. Maybe thats what the office staff is told to say so ppl dont keep calling like crazy. So I think everyone should take a break and calm down. And this is me saying this not because I have anymore leverage than anybody else. We are all in the say boat. So getting nerve racked is not going to help. Just want to keep everybody together and sane, lol!

here is another discrepancy...you talked to "Mr. Mosley" this morning...he said they had 30 dual acceptances but 22 decided to commit...which leaves 8 open spots (30-22 = 8)...so it would make sense that Mr. Mosley would give a rough approximate of 10 being pulled from the list this week.

BUT then you posted (ilvcurst) about 2 hours later that you called the admin office and they said they already had waitlist movement last week....wouldnt that contradict what mr. mosley said??? that means there WOULDNT even be CLOSE to 10 coming off the list this week if they already pulled to fill 'some' of the 8 confrimed open seats...questions. questions. questions

i think the admin office has maybe confused the "sending out of the email notification to the top 10%" (which happened last week i think) with the idea of "people getting pulled off the waitlist".....maybe they meant to say that they SENT out email notifications to let people know they are in the 10% and not neccessarly pulled off the waitlist....

i hope im not confusing anybody...im telling you, im sherlock holmes gifted and ive got that eye for mystery solving.

anyways....i really doubt they have pulled from the waitlist yet. it would make sense if the whole waitlist pulling process started after all the interviews were done, which would be this week.

haha....one more discrepancy...im telling you, im sherlock holmes gifted...GLOOBZ posted that /shehe talk to Mr. Mosley "late last week" and he/she was informed that NO acceptances have been sent out yet, thus, NO waitlist movement...he/she was told the waitlist movement will beginning late this week or early next week and this is consistent with Mr. Mosly told ilvcurst..but NOT consistent with what the "admin office" told ilvcurst that there has already been some movement "last week"....makes no sense, does it?

misinformation can cause confusion...confusion can cause anxiety attacks...it makes you feel like you are being left out of this whole process and it can be discouraging.

one solid story would make this entire process a bit more easier to handle

Not to make things any more confusing than what it already has been... But here's the latest info.

I was told that there are about 100 people on the waitlist (although Ilvcurst was told that there are about 200 people)

I was also told that I don't have a specific rank but an approximate rank. As well, there are 3 pools, high mid low (apparently that's based on 100 people)

So here is my theory:

There are 200 people on the waitlist. Out of which 100 or so are ranked... Out of the 100 they are divided into 3 pools, high mid and low. The top 10% of people got an email saying they are the top 10%. (10/200) is approximately 20 people, which makes sense... So this is just a compilation of what is written on this forum, and my own interpretation... I hope this is somewhat accurate.

This is gettng kind of silly but it's fun.

Mr. M told me this morning that ~30 people have 2+ acceptances and that they have sent out letters to them asking them to select one school. He says that ~22 of these people don't seem like they are going to drop Meharry. So he told me on W (when the committee meets) they are possibly going to pull ~10 people off.

Mrs. D in admissions basically told me what eveyrone is hearing. There is no ranking. She also told me that Mr. M would know more because he gets his directions from the committe. I sort of called her out on the ranking thing. I told her Mr. M told me I was on the ranked list...and she was like oh yeah contact him, he knows more than us. She did say that there has been a little bit of movement but not much.

Now I didn't say she said there was movement LAST WEEK. I just said she told me there has been a little bif of movement, who knows when that was...

Well I guess I'm not on the high list since they all got emails so it seems. I guess I'm probably on the Medium one then.

I wonder if admissions people read this forum and probably :laugh: at us and how much we aren't in the loop...

although Mr. Mosley is the Director of Admissions, he is not on the Admissions Committee. However, from previous encounters, Mr. Mosley is very knowledgable about your file.

Suggestion: When you call Mr. Mosley, be sure that you mention your name, interview date, results, etc. rather than just start talking and asking him your question. If you ask a general question, you will most likely receive a general answer.

Best of luck to everyone.

I think you are right, at most schools the director of admissions is not on the committee. They are kind of the communication person between the applicants and the committee.

He told me on the phone that he gets all his instructions from the committee but I know that he does interview people. However, I'm sure he has some say in the decision process.

Anyone else called him today?

What phone number r u dialing. I always get mr mosely's answering machine. The same for mrs Davis. I call the general admissions office and they transfer me to a answering machine.Ugh

He told me on the phone that he gets all his instructions from the committee but I know that he does interview people. However, I'm sure he has some say in the decision process.

Anyone else called him today?

Most definately. That is why it is pertinent for him to know who you are.

Hey everyone,

I called today and talked with someone at admissions (sorry I'm horrible with names), but she said that e-mails were sent to the top 5% of the wait list just to get a feel for people who are still interested in the school and then when spots came available they are given to them. Then when they used up all those spots, they e-mailed the top 10% of the wait list to get a feel of who was still interested in Meharry and to eliminate people who are going to other schools and will use those people first when spots become available. And apparently that process continues until the process is over. She said the latest one could be notified was July 1st (which seems late to me because I thought they started late June).

She also suggested e-mailing to express that you're still interested because she said that's what the e-mails out to the wait list have been for.

Hope that helps everyone!

I called Ms Davis a minute ago
She said that there are lots of people on the waitlist bc they are still interviewing. they invited about 600 people and ~500 people attended.

She said EXPRESS interest and it will be added to your file as seats become available.
She also said that Post bacc starts the beginning of June, and that committee has started looking at possible candidates.

She said be prepared to move last minute basically and that they have moved the start date of MAPS to June 25 not the 28th.

So there it is...

I just talked to Mrs. Davis this morning too. She basically said the same thing. She said the top 5% email they sent, some said they would come some said they wouldn't. So not everyone is wanting to go to Meharry (which is :thumbup: for us!).

It was kind of cool because I have been emailing admissions every week since I got wait listed in Feb. I asked her if they recieved them and she said that I was on her profile list. This made me really happy since I thought maybe my emails would get lost in the pile.

It seems that people who call/email/write frequently get noticed and there is like a little list of people who do it a lot. Out of speculation it seems like the people on the "profile" list must be near the phone so that whoever answers can make note.

So if you haven't been contacting them definitely start now!

She also told me there has been some wait list movement which is good! Movement as in some have been taken off and others have declined the offer to go.

Anyone calling today? The committee is meeting and I think there will definitely be some wait list movement!

If not some people getting off then definitely less people on the list due to people responding to those 5% emails. So that is :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:, the less people on the list, the better chance we all have!!!

Im thinking about calling today. Has anybody heard any updated news?

Status
Not open for further replies.