2009-2010 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm apartment hunting right now too, but from a distance. I called up a few students and asked them if they knew of any openings in good areas, and got a lot of good landlord references from them. I'm flying in tomorrow night to check out a few places. I set up appointments to see seven apartments on Thursday, and I'm hoping to drive around and check out other places before flying out Friday. I can't wait to have a good idea of where I'll actually be living! (I don't know if you wanted to know that, but I thought I'd chip in anyway.)

I live near CWRU and, this weekend, can post some apartment leads for those interested. My landlord is pretty good and might have some spaces available. I'll talk to him. If I don't get in off of the alternate list, my place might be open. Of course, my ghost would haunt you for the rest of your time in Cleveland. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I live near CWRU and, this weekend, can post some apartment leads for those interested. My landlord is pretty good and might have some spaces available. I'll talk to him. If I don't get in off of the alternate list, my place might be open. Of course, my ghost would haunt you for the rest of your time in Cleveland. :eek:
That would be great, thanks for the offer! I'm flying in next weekend. Hoping to find a townhome/duplex/house, but am entertaining apts too. I hope you DO get in though! And you're ready to go without having to move anywhere, which would add to the sweetness factor.

To CCLCMer or any current Clinic students:

Parking is free at the Clinic right? :D

Also, what books are absolutely essential besides the obvious (Dr. Drake's book)? Do we need that student consult thing?

(Just for the record, I don't plan on opening those books until September. I'm just looking for good deals on half/amazon since there's a textbook glut in the summer and I love it when people do things like sell a book for $5 when it was meant to be $50. Hehe.)

Members don't see this ad :)
...just for the record, i don't plan on opening those books until september. I'm just looking for good deals...
Uh...OK... amp5.gif

:p

Tee hee...was just teasin you! You didn't have to explain! ;)

Don't want you all to think I'm crazy!! But I guess that failed...

*goes back to hiding in her little corner in a circular room*

Did anyone also just get an e-mail asking if we are still interested on remaining on the wait list?

Did anyone also just get an e-mail asking if we are still interested on remaining on the wait list?
That sounds like good news if you are waiting, like they might be trying to clear out their waiting list of those who have already been accepted elsewhere and forgot about it, so that they can focus on the ones who are in it for real. :xf:Good luck!

Didn't get that email. Did you ever send any updates or letters of interest to Case after being put on the waitlist?

It's probably a good sign that they're interested in accepting you, but wanted to make sure you're up for it.

So,

I'm actually looking into a bus pass (even though I will have a car).

http://www.riderta.com/fares/

It looks like the Student U-Pass is only for undergraduates? Is this true?

OK...
found the link to the grad info:

http://greenie.case.edu/upass.htm

Although it looks like the links are stale :(
You can buy one as a grad student. $75 per semester. The only bad thing is that you have to go to the student center and wait in line for them for like a hour. But such is the price you pay for a cheap bus pass. :hungover:

I can handle dry heat, but heat in Kansas = not-quite-Florida-(or Virginia)-swamplike-but-ewww. By this conversation, looks like I'm in for not much of a change, except that less heat = less horrid humidity.

So since I'm currently fervently house/apt hunting I'm really curious about this conversation. I'm all for A/C, even if it's not as hot as here. But I’m not sure about central vs window units, as I haven’t had a window unit since freshman year, circa 1929. (KC summer heat makes central A/C almost mandatory.) Do they do a decent job in Cleveland summer weather? Are they enough for all rooms, even upstairs? Are they all obnoxiously loud (like the lawnmower-motor one my dorm had in our window)?
I have a three room apartment and just one unit. I think it cools the whole place down just fine, but then again, my heat tolerance is higher than many other people's. One of my classmates starts using the AC when the temp gets above 65. I kid you not.

Just out of curiosity..how many extra years does it take to do a PhD for CCLCM? Can it be done in 2 extra years (7 years total)?
It would be up to the grad school department, not CCLCM, because you'd be taking time off from med school (or after med school) to complete the PhD. Unlike med school, PhDs aren't done on a lock-step time table. Average time to finish an MD/PhD combined program is around 8 years, so I think you should count on spending three extra years. But again, that's something you would need to ask about.

To CCLCMer or any current Clinic students:

Parking is free at the Clinic right? :D

Also, what books are absolutely essential besides the obvious (Dr. Drake's book)? Do we need that student consult thing?
Yes, parking is free for students, at CCF only. So if you park at Case, sorry, you have to pay unless you park way down one of the side streets.

For books, I would get the molecular bio book for the summer. You probably don't need the biochem book unless you just want it--they don't use it as much. The med genetics book is probably also optional. I got it and really liked it. I read most of the chapters, even the ones that weren't assigned.

For the fall, yes, I would get Drake's book. You will use that all year. I have no idea what the student consult thing is that you're talking about, so my guess is that you can probably live without it. Or maybe you're talking about the modules that go along with his book? He will give you a free subscription, so don't buy that. If you still start with cards/pulm block, I would get the respiratory phys book--the guy that wrote it physically went to Mt. Everest to do the experiments that he talks about. For cards, I really liked this book by Klabunde. He also has some really useful free websites for cardiovascular physiology and pharmacology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since there are only 32 email addresses, my highly speculative guess is that you are going to be accepted, particularly since no one has reported getting a call yet after Cowaabungaa dropped his spot. Check your voice mail, maybe? :)

I got a reply to the e-mail that I sent..the sender apologized saying it was a mistake on their part :(

but then 9 hours later..just got the call from Dean Franco!!! :love:

but I only have 1 day to decide before I have to drop the other school..it will really come down to financial aid which I won't able to receive before I drop..can someone please give me an example of the financial aid offered at CCLCM so I can make somewhat of an informed decision?? i know tuition is covered..but what about the rest of the cost of attendance?

That sounds like good news if you are waiting, like they might be trying to clear out their waiting list of those who have already been accepted elsewhere and forgot about it, so that they can focus on the ones who are in it for real. :xf:Good luck!

Are you on the University Program waitlist or the Cleveland Clinic waitlist?

I got a reply to the e-mail that I sent..the sender apologized saying it was a mistake on their part :(

but I only have 1 day to decide before I have to drop the other school..it will really come down to financial aid which I won't able to receive before I drop..can someone please give me an example of the financial aid offered at CCLCM so I can make somewhat of an informed decision?? i know tuition is covered..but what about the rest of the cost of attendance?

Congratulations! For me, it feels good to be right, too. :D

For the M1 year, the total budget is $73,470, of which $47,730 is tuition which is covered :luck:, so you're looking at $25,740 for everything else. Since they've allocated $2,300 for books, $10,450 for housing, $3,480 for food, and $3,950 for personal expenses, I think it's definitely possible to get away with spending less.

The other four years look pretty similar, although during your research year you should probably get some kind of fellowship/funding to cover your living expenses.

I have a three room apartment and just one unit. I think it cools the whole place down just fine, but then again, my heat tolerance is higher than many other people's. One of my classmates starts using the AC when the temp gets above 65. I kid you not.

I turn on the heat when the temperature gets below 65. :)

Oops, quoted wrong person on the post above, sorry.

I meant to as miss marron. UP or CP? Who is the email from?

It was an e-mail from Christian for the UP program. I never sent an update e-mail so maybe that is why he was asking.

You can buy one as a grad student. $75 per semester. The only bad thing is that you have to go to the student center and wait in line for them for like a hour. But such is the price you pay for a cheap bus pass. :hungover:

Like the undergrads at Case, I get my bus pass for free, though limited to certain bus routes. It's free because the parking department goes crazy writing tickets for every small infraction, giving them the budget to offer everyone a bus sticker. For someone who doesn't drive, it's great. :p

CCLCMer said:
For books, I would get the molecular bio book for the summer. You probably don't need the biochem book unless you just want it--they don't use it as much. The med genetics book is probably also optional. I got it and really liked it. I read most of the chapters, even the ones that weren't assigned.

For the fall, yes, I would get Drake's book. You will use that all year. I have no idea what the student consult thing is that you're talking about, so my guess is that you can probably live without it. Or maybe you're talking about the modules that go along with his book? He will give you a free subscription, so don't buy that. If you still start with cards/pulm block, I would get the respiratory phys book--the guy that wrote it physically went to Mt. Everest to do the experiments that he talks about. For cards, I really liked this book by Klabunde. He also has some really useful free websites for cardiovascular physiology and pharmacology.

::stalks CCLCMer's blog for books:: :ninja:

Like the undergrads at Case, I get my bus pass for free, though limited to certain bus routes. It's free because the parking department goes crazy writing tickets for every small infraction, giving them the budget to offer everyone a bus sticker. For someone who doesn't drive, it's great. :p
Are you guys referring to a city bus? Or the University bus routes?

Oh, I was referring to my own undergraduate, which is not Case.

I think the bus pass allows you to ride the city buses for free (any and all of them) while pretty much anyone can get on those Case buses...with Case ID, I'm assuming.

I have to rework my budget. What's the difference between "Transportation" and "Travel for Clinical Training"? And why is it so high? 2200+1600=3800?! I accounted for vacations, insurance, maintenance and gas...

Edit: never mind i spent the entire night reading CCLCMer's blog lol..a lot of my questions were answered there

Last edited:
I received an email, too. I'm hoping that it's a good sign; this waiting is getting really difficult.

so I am deciding between CCLCM and another top-20 school (I am leaning towards CCLCM currently but only have a day to decide). CCLCM is an amazing program..it has tons and tons of positives...and I feel VERY fortunate to be accepted. I understand EVERY school has issues and not everyone is happy at those schools so having said that I just have a few questions that I hope current students dont mind answering...

CCLCMer, do you think the curriculum prepared you for USMLE Step 1 or did you have to learn a lot of stuff on your own?

What are some things that frustrated you about CCLCM?

How receptive is the faculty/administration to student feedback?

I know you can't speak for other people but do you think most students are happy to be at CCLCM?

How much interaction is there between students at the college program and the UP? Are there still talks about CCLCM breaking off with Case? I just want to see how much tension there is between the two programs..

I will be coming to CCLCM without any substantial monetary savings so from your experience do you think the yearly budget is enough to cover a decent standard of living (nothing too extravagant obviously)?

thanks for the help!

whats the school ur deciding between if i may ask? really sux that u only have a day to decide where ur going for 4-5 years...

Wish we could help but vc777, FluffyRabbit and I are incoming students...

On a lighter note, I had a dream that we were at CCLCM orientation. We were playing a modified version of red light green light. Then they transformed the grassy field into a tented carnival and gave us these awesome t-shirts. One can only dream...our orientation looks to be like 10 infosessions a day with brief breaks to get TB tests. :rolleyes:

On a lighter note, I had a dream that we were at CCLCM orientation. We were playing a modified version of red light green light. Then they transformed the grassy field into a tented carnival and gave us these awesome t-shirts. One can only dream...our orientation looks to be like 10 infosessions a day with brief breaks to get TB tests. :rolleyes:

+1 :(

You need to say "CCLCMer" three times and she will appear!
How many hours till you have to decide?

I hope this aesthetically pleasing teaser whets everyone's appetite enough to wait for my full blown review. Enjoy some E6510 Pictures!

2iufa7c.jpg

9u4y38.jpg

14b2us8.jpg

wmmr85.jpg

11s1ms9.jpg

Yay, congrats! :soexcited:

It's the RTA, which is the county system. The pass is good on all the trains as well as the buses. There are also two university shuttles, and those are free.

I have to rework my budget. What's the difference between "Transportation" and "Travel for Clinical Training"? And why is it so high? 2200+1600=3800?! I accounted for vacations, insurance, maintenance and gas...
I'm not sure, to be honest. I think for trips home. Obviously, they build some cushion into the budget. :)

NYankees, I'm going to PM you my cell. If you want to talk before you have to make a decision today, feel free to call me this afternoon. Only please don't call before 3 PM, because I have a residency advising meeting from 2-3 PM. :D

What a peaceful dream! I haven't thought of red light green light in ages. No wonder you heart sleep.

What did you guys decide on for the laptops, for the Dell ppl? Lighterweight vs better screen?
This is a dumb question, I know Dell has historically been online only, but is there a store that carries them at all, so I could look at it in person? I went to Best Buy to see something similar in screen size, but there wasn't anything between the tiny netbooks and like 16"

Edit: Left screen unrefreshed, didn't see Meat's pix! That looks massive...

Last edited:
What a peaceful dream! I haven't thought of red light green light in ages. No wonder you heart sleep.

What did you guys decide on for the laptops, for the Dell ppl? Lighterweight vs better screen?
This is a dumb question, I know Dell has historically been online only, but is there a store that carries them at all, so I could look at it in person? I went to Best Buy to see something similar in screen size, but there wasn't anything between the tiny netbooks and like 16"

Edit: Left screen unrefreshed, didn't see Meat's pix! That looks massive...

Thats the 15.6" version, which is decently sized. I used to rock a 17" inspiron, so this actually feels a little small to me. It weighs in at 6.4 lbs with the 90 watt battery, which is pretty reasonable.

With that being said, I'm a rather tall guy, so the size isn't too important, but consider the 14" if you're weary of lugging around some monster laptop.

I'm leaning towards the 14". I have a good desktop with a 19" Ultrasharp that I'll plug in if I need higher res. But I could also quit whining and just beef up the biceps :rolleyes:

Just withdrew..........from the other school...I'll be attending Cleveland Clinic!

(yes I like to make my posts overly dramatic)

btw speaking of laptops..what kind of laptops do CCLCM students get?? anyway we can choose between a PC or a mac? I am more of a mac guy..

Last edited:

If it makes you feel better, we can always play red light green light anyway even if it's not part of the orientation. :D

I'm leaning towards the 14". I have a good desktop with a 19" Ultrasharp that I'll plug in if I need higher res. But I could also quit whining and just beef up the biceps :rolleyes:

I would get the smaller laptop if I was planning to carry it around a good amount.

Just withdrew..........from the other school...I'll be attending Cleveland Clinic!

(yes I like to make my posts overly dramatic)

btw speaking of laptops..what kind of laptops do CCLCM students get?? anyway we can choose between a PC or a mac? I am more of a mac guy..

Nice, see you there! We all get the same PC laptop I think...

Where's are some great places to go watch the NBA games an get some inexpensive food and drinks while I'm in town looking for housing?

Thanks!!!

Where's are some great places to go watch the NBA games an get some inexpensive food and drinks while I'm in town looking for housing?

Thanks!!!

There are still NBA games? I thought the playoffs ended when the Cavs didn't win (again). Ah ... maybe that was just in Cleveland.

Sigh.

There are somewhere between 2-4 sports bars in the Coventry area of Cleveland Heights. One of them has a patio and a really big screen (Panini's). Just listen for the crowd noise and you'll find it. Another one serves decent beer (Winking Lizard) .... mmmmmm .... beeeeer. No patio there, though.

Really, I completely forgot the playoffs were still going on.

for the summer basic science research experience..can we pick our own research mentors?? the database currently seems limited in my area of interest (only 2 PIs)...

for the summer basic science research experience..can we pick our own research mentors?? the database currently seems limited in my area of interest (only 2 PIs)...

You rank your preferences from 1 to 5. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee, but I assume most people get one of their top choices - I certainly hope so! :)

I'm trying to pick out some new tech for the next few years (moving cross country without a car = some new gear), and was wondering, how much time do students (especially UP-types) spend on their computers? Worth getting an external monitor (or two)? I love me my screen real estate, and don't want to get a setup and have it be frustrating for the amount of time used. Current students, if you were starting over, what do you think would be a good arrangement?

our orientation looks to be like 10 infosessions a day with brief breaks to get TB tests. :rolleyes:
Yeah, that pretty much sums up what orientation is like. Sorry. :hungover:

On the bright side though, they feed you a lot. One thing students at this school are really good at is eating!

:D

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/cclcm/tech.htm#laptops[/url]

In any color you want*

*As long as it is black.
You could always put stickers on it. Some of the other students did.

so who's getting excited?

school is only 5ish weeks away!

so who's getting excited?

school is only 5ish weeks away!

I can't wait for school to start!! I can't wait to be a student again!!! :D

I'm also having a good time right now as an MS0. After multiple years of maintaining a high GPA, studying for the MCAT, and applying for med schools, it's such a relief to know where I'll be next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.