2008-2009 St. Louis University (SLU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any info on tuition? Can't seem to find it on their website

Members don't see this ad.

interesting, i only had the option to choose for the regional slots in LA when i was invited. thanks for letting us know, though. :)

i think i all depends when you get invited to interview. When i signed up for interview i noticed i could choose from LA, seattle, or st. louis. they probably get taken quick so some might not even get the option of a regional interview

I just got accepted to SLU today! :) I don't know what I'll do, though, because I also got into my state school...

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptance:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm interviewing on the 31st... What did you guys do for lodging? I haven't heard anything about a student host program, so I assume there isn't one (correct me if i'm wrong). Any nearby, nice, cheap hotels?? Thanks.

Just got placed on the alternate list. I interviewed 1/15. I will probably be withdrawing my application though due to another acceptance.

When did you interview?

Interview: 2/24/09
Acceptance: 3/18/09

I really wish I could go, but I'm pretty sure I'll withdraw because of my state school acceptance. I just can't justify spending so much more money when my state school is pretty decent. I wish I could afford it, but it seems foolish to go with SLU. I was very impressed with the school, though :)

Does anyone have any reccomendations on hotels near the school that they stayed at?

Does anyone have any reccomendations on hotels near the school that they stayed at?

I did the Holiday Inn Express (it's the closest HIExp to the school).
- When I was staying there, the lobby was being completely renovated and so it was in shambles. Also, no food in walking distance (a 5 min cab ride away though). So for dinner, I just ordered Domino's online for delivery and it came straight up to my room. Breakfast was included and not the tastiest (but it's free...). The next morning, cab ride to the interview location was around $8 (def under $10, just can't remember how much exactly). Overall, not a bad experience and it was good intermediate location for everything I needed (AmTrack station and school).

If I were flying in and planning to take the public transit rail system, I'd try to pick a hotel on one of the rail routes (or within walking distance from one). If I were flying in and taking cabs the whole way, then it doesn't really matter.

SBK,

I stayed at the Water Tower Inn, its basically part of SLU. It's not "on" the med school, campus, but I'd say it is within a mile if you didn't have a car. Pretty nice place- I certainly had no complaints. It was decently priced, local, and comfortable, so I was a happy camper. Oh, it also had free internet, too. Complimentary breakfast was also offered in the mornings (breakfast is such a strong term though, it was like juice, milk, packaged muffins, bread, etc; nothing too extravagant, but it worked for me). I worked out in their very small, but decently equipped gym and it was chill. It's actually kind of strange, b/c this building is home to the hotel as well as SLU's public health dept, finance dept, and who knows what else. the hotel is only on the 5th and 6th floors. The rooms aren't too big and it actually kind of reminded me of, lets say, a remodeled dorm room. I'm not too sure why, though. So basically, It's no 5 star, but you also aren't paying too much. It was decent, convenient, and overall, I would recommend it to others.

their info:
3545 Lafayette Ave
St Louis, MO 63104
(314) 977-7500
http://www.slu.edu/x27017.xml

If you have any more quesitons, feel freeeee to ask :)

annnnnd, if it is of any help to other people tracking dates:
interview: March 3rd
acceptance: March 18th

Congrats on the acceptance:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm interviewing on the 31st... What did you guys do for lodging? I haven't heard anything about a student host program, so I assume there isn't one (correct me if i'm wrong). Any nearby, nice, cheap hotels?? Thanks.

congrats on the interview! i stayed at the Water Tower Inn (see my other post for info, probably too much info actually). I do believe they have a student host program. There is a word document posted as a link in the "My interview" section of the supplemental application website. I got to this list by opening the interview invite email, clicking the supplemental application website link, (sign up for interview), then on the page where you can view it says "you are currently scheduled for an interview on..." and there is a link for your itinerary, there is also another link that says "other links." within those links i found the student hosting link.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I interviewed at SLU Feb. 9, and was placed on the alternate list March 19th.

I called the admissions office and they said they accept people off the alternate list until August 3rd.

Does anyone know how big the alternate list is, or how much/fast they draw from it?

Haha, no fair. I live in Southern California, and I could only choose from a few interview dates in St. Louis.

aww, well a regional has it's pros and cons, obviously. i saved some $$, but would have loved to see SLU and that famed clinical simulation lab. haha is it as cool as it sounds?

I remembered reading somewhere that its around 40K. I think it was the MSAR book.

The 2009-2010 MSAR says tuition for this past year was $42,783. Cost of living is not too bad in St. Louis, especially compared to other big cities, but they estimate total cost w/housing as $64,806.

The 2009-2010 MSAR says tuition for this past year was $42,783. Cost of living is not too bad in St. Louis, especially compared to other big cities, but they estimate total cost w/housing as $64,806.

It sounds like a lot of students get 5 to 10 thousand in need financial aid too, which doesn't sound like much but over four years will really lower the total amount of debt!

Interviewed 1/15

Just got an email saying I am on the alternate list. Does anyone know if most people get on the alternate list or if they reject many people flat-out after the interview? Just trying to assess my chances of moving from the alternate list....

Oh, I just realized this has been discussed already!! Alright so I'm just in for more waiting :) C'mon SLU!!

Is anyone else who interviewed in January still waiting to hear back?

I interviewed 2/17
heard back today about being "alternate list"ed

i notice that no one here has said anything about how far into this list do they typically move... ie) what percentage every year...?

also, how much can update letters help?

Is anyone else who interviewed in January still waiting to hear back?

Hi,
I interviewed late January and have yet to hear a peep from them-- I did call a couple of days back and was told no decision was made on me app. Perhaps my interviewer hasn't made it to a committee meeting yet... its been 8 weeks. I really liked the school and the city (minus the cold-- I'm from California) and my interviewer was v. cool. Anyhow, I feel your pain ; )

Good luck

I had a solid experience at the airport holiday inn express. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport. From there you can take the train ($8 round trip) to a free shuttle that'll take you to the school. Very nice room for the price, and very good breakfast in a safe area of the city.

The interview itself was very, very laid back. Seemed like the interviewer was really interested in presenting me in the best light to the committee. I'll also add that there are some very attractive females at SLU...

Ahhhh! Worth the wait:

Interview 1/13, Accepted today!

Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist yet? I assume that there wont really be much movement until mid May after the deadline, but I was just curious.

Interviewed in Seattle 2/22....still waiting to hear back.

congrats on the acceptances guys! :thumbup:

still waiting here...anyone know when adcom meets next?

*sigh* I just declined my offer of acceptance from SLU. Totally one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I think my state school is quite respectable and WAY cheaper, plus I feel that my education will be what I make of it and my success will be determined by my own focus and drive.

Obviously, I'm still trying to console myself and reassure myself that I did the right thing! Ouch, it hurts. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that there's a seat up for grabs and I hope one of you gets it!

*sigh* I just declined my offer of acceptance from SLU. Totally one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I think my state school is quite respectable and WAY cheaper, plus I feel that my education will be what I make of it and my success will be determined by my own focus and drive.

Obviously, I'm still trying to console myself and reassure myself that I did the right thing! Ouch, it hurts. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that there's a seat up for grabs and I hope one of you gets it!

you made the good decision brrooother.
saint louis is a quaint city
and SLU is a sheltered school...

all the best in your medical career!

you made the good decision brrooother.
saint louis is a quaint city
and SLU is a sheltered school...

all the best in your medical career!

I am curious what you mean by "SLU is a sheltered school?"

Thanks!

I'm guessing it was a jab at the religious nature of St. Louis, which some misconstrue as open conservatism... :rolleyes:

Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist yet? I assume that there wont really be much movement until mid May after the deadline, but I was just curious.
Davy- I was waitlisted and no update yet. I'm curious if there is a ranking system and also if the same message goes out to all waitlisters saying "you were chosen as an alternate over numerous able competitors...." Also, btw it looks like we're in the same boat: waitlisted at SLU and hoping for that call from Davis!!! :xf::luck: Good luck-- I know you have been waiting longer than most everyone else!

Davy- I was waitlisted and no update yet. I'm curious if there is a ranking system and also if the same message goes out to all waitlisters saying "you were chosen as an alternate over numerous able competitors...." Also, btw it looks like we're in the same boat: waitlisted at SLU and hoping for that call from Davis!!! :xf::luck: Good luck-- I know you have been waiting longer than most everyone else!

Good luck to you too! I am just hoping that one school comes through for me... :xf:

I had a regional-Seattle interview 2/22 and was waitlisted today (4/9). As mentioned in earlier posts there is language about being picked for the alternate list among many competitive applicants but I just see more waiting...Still no clue what's gonna happen. Good luck to everyone!

I had a regional-Seattle interview 2/22 and was waitlisted today (4/9). As mentioned in earlier posts there is language about being picked for the alternate list among many competitive applicants but I just see more waiting...Still no clue what's gonna happen. Good luck to everyone!

what does that even mean??
"picked to be alternate listed among many competitive applicants"
is that a good thing?
or a bad thing?
competitive applicants = rejected
or competitive applicants = accepted

cuz they way they write it, sounds an awful lot like
"you should be happy we picked you to be alternate-listed amongst competitive applicants - ie competitive applicants who didn't get as lucky as to get alternate listed"

so confused.
because i dont think this school formally rejects before the end of the cycle.

what does that even mean??
"picked to be alternate listed among many competitive applicants"
is that a good thing?
or a bad thing?
competitive applicants = rejected
or competitive applicants = accepted

cuz they way they write it, sounds an awful lot like
"you should be happy we picked you to be alternate-listed amongst competitive applicants - ie competitive applicants who didn't get as lucky as to get alternate listed"

so confused.
because i dont think this school formally rejects before the end of the cycle.

Yeah seriously,
I sent the admissions office an email to get more clarification but really I am just sick of thinking about it so much now. I'm just trying to hold out until mid May.

Guess they're slowly going through the list. I interviewed 3/03 and havent heard anything yet. :(

So hears the information I've gathered regarding the waitlist: From the Admissions office - Most of the movement of the list takes place after May 15 and continues throughout the summer. The ranking of the Alternate List is kept confidential by the committee. If selected as a member of the class, you will be contacted by phone. I hope that this is helpful.

Seems pretty standard waitlist, its pretty much the same thing for Miami also.

So hears the information I've gathered regarding the waitlist: From the Admissions office - Most of the movement of the list takes place after May 15 and continues throughout the summer. The ranking of the Alternate List is kept confidential by the committee. If selected as a member of the class, you will be contacted by phone. I hope that this is helpful.

Seems pretty standard waitlist, its pretty much the same thing for Miami also.

It's going to be a long summer...

I interviewed on Feb 24th and haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone know if they are still actively evaluating people?

same here, i interviewed Apr 14 and have been waiting ever since

wtf slu

Status
Not open for further replies.