2008-2009 Rosalind Franklin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got in off the waitlist!

First acceptance!!

(And right after I sent in my $966 AMCAS...)

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

congrats...will we be seeing you in the fall for certain or are you waiting on other schools still?

I believe the first day of school is August 17

yep. orientation is the week before, however, and if you are living on campus, move-in is august 1-7 i believe.

on another note, will anyone be attending the alumni association bbq? i dont really want to be the only new student there with a bunch of alums and dean ross...

Members don't see this ad.

How do you all know of all these important dates? I don't know when school starts, when orientation is, this alumni bbq??? I'm still waiting for my financial aid and I sent that in months ago.

How do you all know of all these important dates? I don't know when school starts, when orientation is, this alumni bbq??? I'm still waiting for my financial aid and I sent that in months ago.

When and where is the Alumni bbq?? And this fin aid wait is something else. Despite the fact that I pop up at their office everyday, they still haven't done it more than a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats...will we be seeing you in the fall for certain or are you waiting on other schools still?

Thanks! I'm still on the waitlist at UMDNJ, though I've been in touch with the dean there and they expect very little waitlist movement. I think you can expect to see me in the fall.

You can find some information about schedules on the CMS website. I got an email about the alumni bbq which is in July; it seems like they might have only sent it to incoming students from the Chicago area.

You can find some information about schedules on the CMS website. I got an email about the alumni bbq which is in July; it seems like they might have only sent it to incoming students from the Chicago area.

right. and more specifically, the e-mail says "incoming students from Illinois and Southeastern Wisconsin" - but something tells me any incoming students from around the country (or canada) would be more than welcome if they wanted to swing by for the day.

edit: i just looked back at the e-mail, and the alums that are hosting the bbq live within a mile of the route i usually take to work (so, just outside the city).

Anyone think they'll send out more acceptances today? I've noticed they've been sending out "updates" almost weekly, and usually on Wednesdays, since the end of May.

Can someone tell me what the cost of tuition is? and also the total estimated student budget? Thank you.

I think the cost is approximately 60,000 dollars a year with books, tuition, and housing

Looks Like I'll be joining y'all at CMS this year! YAY!!:p

Looks like someone will be getting off the waitlist. I just got accepted into my top choice and will be declining CMS later today. Best of luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea how many people are on the waitlist? Also, has there been any movement lately or will there be any? Please let us know if you have heard anything from CMS.

I was wondering if anyone from the 2007-2008 or 2008-2009 BMS class who was accepted to the MD program can tell me how many people from your class were accepted into the program? Also do you know whether those rejected after BMS were accepted into another medical program be it MD or DO? Finally, if you had been accepted to a D.O. program at the same time you were accepted to the BMS program, would you still have done the BMS program?

I was part of the BMS program last year. The program is extremely misleading. While yes, it is true that more than 75% of the people get accepted but most of the people are from the California who would have gotten accepted if they were from another state because they do have the stats, just not good enough for Cali. It is extremely expensive as well I'm in debt for 55,000 dollars and extremely pissed off at the school. They don't have any guidelines as to how they accept students from the BMS program. It is a completely random process akin to a secret guardian council making a decision about who they want in. People that had worse grades than i did somehow got in but I am still on the waitlist.

In retrospect, I would have gone DO hands down instead of doing the program if I had the option. The school is pretty crappy. There aren't that many research opportunities, no hospital attached to the school either.

The location is horrendous. It is in the middle of the ghetto.

I am also seriously considering filing a lawsuit against the school to recoup some of the tuition

I was part of the BMS program last year. The program is extremely misleading. While yes, it is true that more than 75% of the people get accepted but most of the people are from the California who would have gotten accepted if they were from another state because they do have the stats, just not good enough for Cali. It is extremely expensive as well I'm in debt for 55,000 dollars and extremely pissed off at the school. They don't have any guidelines as to how they accept students from the BMS program. It is a completely random process akin to a secret guardian council making a decision about who they want in. People that had worse grades than i did somehow got in but I am still on the waitlist.

In retrospect, I would have gone DO hands down instead of doing the program if I had the option. The school is pretty crappy. There aren't that many research opportunities, no hospital attached to the school either.

The location is horrendous. It is in the middle of the ghetto.

I am also seriously considering filing a lawsuit against the school to recoup some of the tuition

Thanks for your opinion. I currently live in Illinois and have very compelling reasons to stay in the state. My issue, therefore, is not an issue of D.O. vs. M.D., but rather location. The D.O. schools I was accepted to are significantly out-of-state...so I am trying to determine if the BMS program is worth the gamble (i.e. giving up a sure thing for an uncertainty). If anyone else has an opinion (good or bad) please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Oh if i were you, I would definately do the DO. I'll give a few good reasons why you should do this. The program is very expensive, $55,000. There is no gurantee. The school is not very reputable either. In fact, I would go so far to say that it is shady as hell. They lost their accredition in 2004 for mismanaging funds. They basically tried to bypass NIH funding and used student tuition to grant funds to researcher i.e charging exorbiant tuition and giving that money to researchers.

Most of the class is made up of these Californian fuctards. They accept the minimum number of illinois residents to appease the hospitals where their students perform their rotations.

Oh if i were you, I would definately do the DO. I'll give a few good reasons why you should do this. The program is very expensive, $55,000. There is no gurantee. The school is not very reputable either. In fact, I would go so far to say that it is shady as hell. They lost their accredition in 2004 for mismanaging funds. They basically tried to bypass NIH funding and used student tuition to grant funds to researcher i.e charging exorbiant tuition and giving that money to researchers.

Most of the class is made up of these Californian fuctards. They accept the minimum number of illinois residents to appease the hospitals where their students perform their rotations.

While I understand your frustration at not being accepted, I don't think those statements are accurate.

1. "Ghetto location" - It's a suburb which is 45 minute drive from downtown Chicago. I suppose it's kind of in the middle of nowhere - is that what you meant by "ghetto"?

2. Re BMS: I don't know much about it directly, but like most SMP's they make no guarantees about admission. In fact, one of the reasons for their 2004 LCME trouble which you mentioned was their tendency to accept sub-par BMS students. I do know non-Californian BMS students who were accepted this year. You also don't know everything about other applicants - for example, you say you had better grades in the BMS program, but what about overall GPA, MCAT score, EC's, etc? Those things don't go away just because you did an SMP.

3. CMS did not lose their accreditation in 2004. They were put on probationary status, and removed from probation a year later. You are correct that one of the main reasons for the probation was that they were getting too much of their funding from tuition. However, they now have tuition which is on par with or lower than many private schools'. Calling them "shady as hell" is just a little bit of an overstatement.

Last edited:
While I do think most of what John said is exaggerated, there is some truth to what he said. I had the choice of going between CCOM and CMS, I chose CCOM instead.

The location is pretty ghetto. While the south of north chicago is an extremely posh area called Lake Bluff, the north of north chicago, including north chicago itself is like the south side of chicago, extremely rough.

CMS has been in ethics trouble quite a few times. One of things is their trouble with LCME. I do believe John is right about them losing their accredition, after which they were put on probation for a year. The also got rid of their name, which Finch Univesity of Medicine and Sciences. They changed it to Rosalind Franklin afterwards. They have also been sued quite a few times for such things as sexual harrasement, and animal cruelty.

I don't know anything about the Biomed program, so I won't comment on that.

In conclusion, I chose CCOM because it does not have a troubled past unlike RFUMS and I didn't want to be associated with a school with so many ethics violations.

While I understand your frustration at not being accepted, I don't think those statements are accurate.

1. "Ghetto location" - It's a suburb which is 45 minute drive from downtown Chicago. I suppose it's kind of in the middle of nowhere - is that what you meant by "ghetto"?

2. Re BMS: I don't know much about it directly, but like most SMP's they make no guarantees about admission. In fact, one of the reasons for their 2004 LCME trouble which you mentioned was their tendency to accept sub-par BMS students. I do know non-Californian BMS students who were accepted this year. You also don't know everything about other applicants - for example, you say you had better grades in the BMS program, but what about overall GPA, MCAT score, EC's, etc? Those things don't go away just because you did an SMP.

3. CMS did not lose their accreditation in 2004. They were put on probationary status, and removed from probation a year later. You are correct that one of the main reasons for the probation was that they were getting too much of their funding from tuition. However, they now have tuition which is on par with or lower than many private schools'. Calling them "shady as hell" is just a little bit of an overstatement.

CMS has been in ethics trouble quite a few times. One of things is their trouble with LCME. I do believe John is right about them losing their accredition, after which they were put on probation for a year.

Again, being put on probation is not the same as losing their accreditation. They were at risk of losing it, but remedied everything to the LCME's satisfaction.

They have also been sued quite a few times for such things as sexual harrasement, and animal cruelty.

Could you substantiate this claim? A quick Google search revealed nothing about animal cruelty and one dismissed sexual harassment claim from 15 years ago.

Could you substantiate this claim? A quick Google search revealed nothing about animal cruelty and one dismissed sexual harassment claim from 15 years ago.

Here's the information about the lawsuit regarding the animal cruelty. While calling it animal cruelty would be a far stretch I'm in agreement with you on that but they did in fact get sued for killing a whole bunch of pigs.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-8942915_ITM

Here's the information regarding sexual harrasment lawsuit.

http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-appeals/F3/167/1170/527613/

Here's the information about the lawsuit regarding the animal cruelty. While calling it animal cruelty would be a far stretch I'm in agreement with you on that but they did in fact get sued for killing a whole bunch of pigs.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-8942915_ITM

Here's the information regarding sexual harrasment lawsuit.

http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-appeals/F3/167/1170/527613/

Right, that's the sexual harassment case I found - a 15 year old case which was dismissed. The pig thing seems to be a financial issue, not animal cruelty.

This was worth the $29,500 4-year tuition difference and the hassle of having to take the COMLEX as well the USMLE if you want to do an MD residency?

I guess I was misinformed regarding the probationary status of CMS. However, I still stand by my choice to attend CCOM which I think is far superior medical school than CMS.

Here's the article for those people that are interested:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/printStory.pl?news_id=12845

I know several people that recently graduated from CCOM, and from what I've heard it's far from "superior". Don't bash schools based on heresay or rumors.

As far as the pig thing goes, at least it wasn't in vain. You do 2-3 lectures specifically on these pig heart experiments.

Last edited:
has anyone heard back today? I heard the turnover rate has been huge this year

Something recently came to light. I know of a person who was in the BMS program prior to me who recently got in. He had Cs in biochemistry and neuroscience. His parents donated thousands of dollars to this school the year after and he did research for and got in this year

I'm glad i got rejected from this school, I think it might be good to be not associated with such a corrupt evil institution that spits on the hard work of ordinary students such as myself who do not have rich parents. It is blessing in disguise

With these new finding that have come to light, I am proceeding with my lawsuit. I plan on retiring after I bankrupt this piece of ****

Last edited:
Something recently came to light. I know of a person who was in the BMS program prior to me who recently got in. He had Cs in biochemistry and neuroscience. His parents donated thousands of dollars to this school the year after and he did research for a year and he got in this year

I'm glad I got rejected from this school, I think it might be good to be not associated with such a corrupt evil institution that spits on the hard work of ordinary students such as myself who do not have rich parents. It is blessing in disguise.

With these new finding that have come to light, I am proceeding with my lawsuit. I plan on retiring after I bankrupt this piece of **** institution.

+pity+

You can laugh at me right now but in four years when you graduate from unaccredited university and are trying to find a residency with 240,000 dollars in debt, you will cry. And I will be laughing :smuggrin:

Speaking of debt, make sure your lawyer doesn't want to be paid up front.

And I'm shocked that you think I was laughing at you, when I was merely expressing my deep and sincere sympathy. I've never seen such a severe case of tularemia, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Speaking of debt, make sure your lawyer doesn't want to be paid up front.

And I'm shocked that you think I was laughing at you, when I was merely expressing my deep and sincere sympathy. I've never seen such a severe case of tularemia, if you know what I mean.

okay

Last edited:
I'm sorry things turned out the way they did for you Ragster. It looks like your negative feelings only came out after it looked like you would not be joining the class this year though.

For others reading this thread remember this is one opinion. In science we rarely base our opinions on case reports. This person had unfavorable experience with the institution and people with bad experiences are more likely to report them. Also, is it unfair that people with money and influence get more opportunity.. sure. But this happens at institutions of higher learning all over the country.

I think the opinions you were trying convey have been expressed. There is really no need for any more debate on the subject IMHO.

Last edited:
I know there are people who have near 4.0 gpa's, high MCAT scores, and long lists of extracurricular activities, but did not get accepted into any schools. I agree, the system is quite often not fair, but I do believe that this whole admissions process, especially the interview, serves to weed out people that may be extremely "book smart", but otherwise have some sort of personality deficit. I guess it doesnt always work, since we have people like the Boston University Craigslist Killer, and illegal pill pushers in vegas, anesthesiologists that take their own drugs, and whole lists of other messed up doctors, but perhaps it helps us minimize the number of similar fiascos.

Hey, sorry to interject in this discussion, but since it's Monday I'd like to re-entertain the possibility of WL movement occurring this week. Anyone have any thoughts?

I know there are people who have near 4.0 gpa's, high MCAT scores, and long lists of extracurricular activities, but did not get accepted into any schools. I agree, the system is quite often not fair, but I do believe that this whole admissions process, especially the interview, serves to weed out people that may be extremely "book smart", but otherwise have some sort of personality deficit. I guess it doesnt always work, since we have people like the Boston University Craigslist Killer, and illegal pill pushers in vegas, anesthesiologists that take their own drugs, and whole lists of other messed up doctors, but perhaps it helps us minimize the number of similar fiascos.

Absolutely. I think we've seen a good example of that on this thread.

Looks like all is back to normal in the CMS thread now..

Please please please does any one know where I can find the book list for the fall 09 semester?

Thanks.

I'm curious to ask this question: Have any of you chosen RFU over a better ranked school? I'm deciding between RFU and another school which has a better reputation, but am leaning towards RFU for a few personal reasons. Anybody else have this situation?

I'm curious to ask this question: Have any of you chosen RFU over a better ranked school? I'm deciding between RFU and another school which has a better reputation, but am leaning towards RFU for a few personal reasons. Anybody else have this situation?

Thanks Matt for the Booklist.

I was deciding between RFU and another school that had a better reputation, but I ultimately decided on RFU based on the cost. The other one would have cost me about 19G's extra in loan. Per year. The reputation of the school might place you a little bit ahead, but doing excellently will place you very much ahead. That's the way I see it.

If the cost is within the same ballpark, go with the higher ranked school as long as you feel you could do well there, and your personal reasons aren't too compelling.

I sent an e-mail to Shannon Stein today asking to withdraw my acceptance - hopefully that spot goes to one of you guys!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from them since the end of June? I guess I'm still "active", but this has got to be the last week we hear anything back, right? Anyone gotten in?

Shannon Stein called me today to inform me that I got in off the waitlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.