2008-2009 Penn State College of Medicine Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a current student in my interview group luncheon who said he rode his bicycle to class everyday... and that Hershey/Harrisburg has a really active cycling club. So that's pretty cool... :cool:

as far as the in-state thing, I wonder what they would do for someone in my case... I grew up in PA, went to undergrad as an out-of-stater in virginia, and now have lived on my own in va for two years... I would now be an out-of-stater in PA... oh the irony... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

has any1 sent an LOI to penn state pre-interview? I am under the "continue to review" category and debating on whetehr to send one or not.....i understand it wouldn't hurt to send one...any advice woul be appreciated

has any1 sent an LOI to penn state pre-interview? I am under the "continue to review" category and debating on whetehr to send one or not.....i understand it wouldn't hurt to send one...any advice woul be appreciated
Are you sending a letter of interest or letter of intent?
I would advise that a letter of interest sounds more reasonable right now.

Only after you interview with the school would your letter of intent carry more weight. Because before the interview, a LOIntent might come off as desperate and ill-informed. So, save it for after you visit and get better feel for the place.

If you are truly gung-ho, I would send a letter of interest now (prior to an interview). And if you are lucky enough to get the interview, THEN send a letter of Intent if you still feel the same way post-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
:idea:
interesting!
you guys know how the LCME requires that you finish the MD program within 6 years, right? You COULD do the first two years in basic sciences...then disappear for a year as a regular PA resident...only to return one year later and finish the clinicals as an in-stater.
That's probably a really bad idea though...
in the long run, it wont save you any money to do that... you'd be better off just getting your full physician's salary a year earlier.

I also got put on their "Hold List". It's gonna be a long waiting game!!! sucks!

I also got put on their "Hold List". It's gonna be a long waiting game!!! sucks!

Aww that sucks but hang in there :) Just curious, when did you interview? It seems that people are hearing back really quickly all of a sudden.. Or did you interview back in Nov/Dec?

does anyone know if this school takes letter of update? email or snail mail? thank you

Aww that sucks but hang in there :) Just curious, when did you interview? It seems that people are hearing back really quickly all of a sudden.. Or did you interview back in Nov/Dec?

I interviewed on Dec 1st. I heard back in abt 8 weeks, which is what they told me. When did you interview?

just an informational post:

I spoke with the admissions office (jan. 29) and was told that if you are complete with your schooling, you can send in your transcripts any time. Make sure that they are addressed to:

Penn State College of Medicine
Office of Medical Student Affairs, H060
500 University Drive, P.O. Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033

And you can mail your deposit to the same address. They prefer checks made out to "Penn State College of Medicine"

Hope that helps anyone who had that concern :)

in the long run, it wont save you any money to do that... you'd be better off just getting your full physician's salary a year earlier.
yeah you're very correct in that assessment. I just did some snooping and found that the tuition difference is only $10K. Not really a big deal at all!

Has anyone on "pre-interview hold" received an interview invitation?

I've been under review since August at this school. Apparently my screener can't decide whether to extend an interview or put me on hold...didn't know I was that controversial.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what the chances of getting off the post-interview hold (waitlist) is.

Hey all, long time lurker, but first time poster. I received an acceptance approx. 5 weeks after being placed on post-interview hold, so it's definitely possible! Best of luck to all of you.

Has anyone who interviewed in early-mid Dec heard anything yet?? :) (besides you Matt, you just blew away everyone else in the response time! haha)

i was notified of a background check via email...does this mean that a decision is going to be made? is it acceptance, waitlisted or rejection?

i havent heard anything since my dec 10th interview. Im hoping for a thick packet in the mail ....cross fingers

Background check = acceptance.

The background check is run at the point of acceptance. Later on in the cycle it will be run the highest people on the waitlist. But for now, an email for a background check is good news. I got my email regarding that about 3-4 days before I got the packet in the mail.

does anyone know if Penn State is still giving out interviews?

Hi everyone,

I was interviewed on 12/8/08 and received the infamous post-interview hold letter 2 weeks ago. More waiting...

i was notified of a background check via email...does this mean that a decision is going to be made? is it acceptance, waitlisted or rejection?

i havent heard anything since my dec 10th interview. Im hoping for a thick packet in the mail ....cross fingers

Congrats! When did you get your background check email? I got one several weeks ago and can't figure out if it is for Penn State of another school... hmmmmm. Did you get any mail yet? :)

Ok so that CBC was probably not for Penn State. I interviewed 12/12 and got the CBC email on 1/16... Which seems kinda quick for their style... And no mail from them yet, bummer. If anyone who interviewed on 12/10 or 12/12 gets mail, post it so I can call and see if any mail went to my Dad's house!! Good luck to those waiting, but I have a feeling I'll be joining the hold pool soon :(

i received my acceptance packet from Penn St College of Medicine today!!! I guess the AMCAS CBC email is golden!!

some info for people still waiting...
Secondary Sent: 9/3
Interview: 12/10
AMCAS CBC email: 02/06
Acceptance in Snail Mail: 02/09

i received my acceptance packet from Penn St College of Medicine today!!! I guess the AMCAS CBC email is golden!!

Congrats! Welcome to the class.

Congrats!

I am the waitlist king!!!!! Prob because I didn't know how to answer the darn "out of 100 pre-meds what rank are you" question. hahaha. Congrats jackbauer!!! Looks like if I don't hear from PSU before May I will not be attending :( (classes actually start on May 26th at some schools, can you believe it!) Good luck to those still waiting :luck:

I am the waitlist king!!!!! Prob because I didn't know how to answer the darn "out of 100 pre-meds what rank are you" question. hahaha. Congrats jackbauer!!! Looks like if I don't hear from PSU before May I will not be attending :( (classes actually start on May 26th at some schools, can you believe it!) Good luck to those still waiting :luck:

umm, which schools?

Thats impossible, a lot of people don't even graduate by then... Schools on the quarter system get out in mid June.

Not impossible.

Last edited:
No kidding, Kaya, I had that same question and didn't know how to answer it! He said he would tell me why he asked it, but then never did! I said I thought I'd be top 5 and he asked which from 1-5, so I said 5! I explained that I didn't know all the pre-meds, including their stats, determination, how badly they want it, etc, so I couldn't say. Man, I hated that question.

No kidding, Kaya, I had that same question and didn't know how to answer it! He said he would tell me why he asked it, but then never did! I said I thought I'd be top 5 and he asked which from 1-5, so I said 5! I explained that I didn't know all the pre-meds, including their stats, determination, how badly they want it, etc, so I couldn't say. Man, I hated that question.

Hahaha! That guy must love that question, because someone in my interview group interviewed w/ him and was also asked it! But what NUMBER are you.... I wonder how he interprets the answer we give. He must have some sort of rubric :D Good luck Brrooother!

We all must of had the same interviewer! haha. I said I would be in the 20's or 30's!!
I explained that about 60% of the premed applicants from my undergrad institution are actually accepted, so out of 100 of those premeds, I would be right in the middle of the pack being accepted! :laugh: The top 10 or 20 would be those perfect applicants with perfect GPA's, close to 40 mcats, and tons of hours of shadowing... so I would be right behind them. hahahah :0)

We all must of had the same interviewer! haha. I said I would be in the 20's or 30's!!
I explained that about 60% of the premed applicants from my undergrad institution are actually accepted, so out of 100 of those premeds, I would be right in the middle of the pack being accepted! :laugh: The top 10 or 20 would be those perfect applicants with perfect GPA's, close to 40 mcats, and tons of hours of shadowing... so I would be right behind them. hahahah :0)

Haha, yeah, I certainly didn't want to seem arrogant, but I come from a smaller public university with few acceptances to med school! Arrggghhh, I really loathed that question! Glad to hear others suffered as I did :p

Hey guys, i have a question (not sure if this has been addressed before or not). I got this letter saying that committee couldn't make a decision and my file will be continually reviewed (this is pre-interview)....did anyone else receive the letter too? did anyone get interview after this letter? or is this a nicer way to say that I will be rejected in future?

Just wondering if anybody has received notification of the committee's decision in any shorter amount of time than 6-8 weeks, like they told us on the day of the interview.

I know applicants who interviewed back in December waited 8 weeks for a decision, but I was hoping since it's nearing the end of the application period things might pick up as they fill the class.

Any input??

Just wondering if anybody has received notification of the committee's decision in any shorter amount of time than 6-8 weeks, like they told us on the day of the interview.

I know applicants who interviewed back in December waited 8 weeks for a decision, but I was hoping since it's nearing the end of the application period things might pick up as they fill the class.

Any input??

You could read the last couple pages of this thread... but there is a particular individual who heard back in less than 2 weeks! (DrMattOglesby)

unlucky87,

I am not positive what that letter means... If they still can't make a decision and it is getting this late in the interview season, it may not be a good sign. I would probably take it as their way of saying something like "though you are qualified we get so many apps and we're not sure blah blah blah" and start thinking about my other options. I did have a friend last year who was placed on "pre-interview hold" around december and got the lovely rejection letter sometime way later like April-ish? I don't think thats the same as the letter you got, but either way if it were me I would probably take it as not a great sign. Sorry I dont have better advice, but I do wish you the best of luck :luck: ;)

This university does seem to have some trouble with the initial screening of applicants. Basically the screener does not have to make a decision when they first read your application as to pre-interview hold (which is essentially a waitlist for the waitlist) interview or reject. So if they have any reservations about giving you an interview they can basically just hold off and read your app. again later. In my opinion, if they have an issue with giving you an interview than they should probably just reject the application entirely so as not to leave people hanging on for months with very little chance of the application moving forward. Unfortunately it's just kind of the luck of the draw. If you get a really generous screener, they can move the application through to the interview right away and you're golden, but if you get an indecisive one then you pretty much sit in limbo throughout the entire process. Sorry to all of those unlucky ones out there. So you know, my application has been complete since 10/24 and hasn't left the screener. Last year, I got put on pre-interview hold, was later, very much later, given an interview and then waitlisted. So I've been through every part of the process except the accepted bit.

What is a pre-interview hold? do they tell you that you r on hold? my letter says something like this: the admissions committee completed review of my app and they are unable to make decision at this time. I will be reviewed again and if they make a final decision, they will let me know. They made emphasis on how my file is still considered "active". Not sure if this is pre-interview hold or possible rejection to follow.

Just got an interview invite but decided to decline, hopefully someone else who really wants it will get it. Good Luck!

So i got one of those hold letters, post interview. Is this a waitlist? Congrats to all those accepted! although i liked this school, i have already been accepted to one of my top choices so ive been thinking about withdrawing.

Hey guys, i have a question (not sure if this has been addressed before or not). I got this letter saying that committee couldn't make a decision and my file will be continually reviewed (this is pre-interview)....did anyone else receive the letter too? did anyone get interview after this letter? or is this a nicer way to say that I will be rejected in future?

Just got that letter today. Sounds like 'We haven't rejected you yet, but we will soon.'

I must be the last wave of interviews as I recently got invited to interview. I looked at this forum but no one has really mentioned anything about their experience/opinion of this school. I am from the west coast so I don't get to hear much about the East coast schools. Could someone give their thoughts on how they felt about the school: research, experience, area of town(crime), curriculum? I did look on their website too, but not too much there. Thanks for the insight. =D

I must be the last wave of interviews as I recently got invited to interview. I looked at this forum but no one has really mentioned anything about their experience/opinion of this school. I am from the west coast so I don't get to hear much about the East coast schools. Could someone give their thoughts on how they felt about the school: research, experience, area of town(crime), curriculum? I did look on their website too, but not too much there. Thanks for the insight. =D

IMO, the school and hospital is very nice. However, given the area of town, the school/hospital is basically the only thing in the immediate area. It certainly has a small town feel to it, but Harrisburg is 15 mins away. As far as research, it is a prime component of the school. In fact, they require it as part of their curriculum. That being said, there are numerous opportunities for research as the hospital is heavily involved in research (as is most of PSU). Crime rate is ridiculously low, and it might be the lowest of all the med schools (don't quote me on this).

If you aren't looking for a city school, definitely give PSU a look. You won't be disappointed.

Penn State pleasantly surprised me from the moment I arrived at the MDT airport. EVERYONE seemed extremely nice and kind.
Although it is a small town, that shouldn't deter you too much if you've traveled a bit and seen how the other half of the world's population lives. This really is a nice place to be.
My only gripe about the place is its cold weather. However, it's not THAT cold...not like Milwaukee or anything. But it's far from being tropical. This is only a concern to me because I love getting outdoors and exercising.
Of all the places I have interviewed, I felt like this school just "felt" like it fit me the best...and that is why I am choosing to matriculate there. I loved their facilities, and the people who were there. I will just have to make a transition to living in a colder environment!

how did u know they sent the last batch????.....did they mention it in the invite?....

Status
Not open for further replies.