2008-2009 Penn State College of Medicine Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to assign my FAFSA to Penn State, but the only campus I see is the main campus in State College. Do I send my FAFSA to the main campus?

Members don't see this ad.

the FAFSA code for Penn State College of Medicine is 003329.

does anyone know if penn state is still doling out interviews?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview invite on monday - and they had spots open for next week and were interviewing through March so there's still hope!

Yes, I just got an interview invite yesterday for next wed.. Any tips for interviewing at Penn State??

Hey guys, i have a question (not sure if this has been addressed before or not). I got this letter saying that committee couldn't make a decision and my file will be continually reviewed (this is pre-interview)....did anyone else receive the letter too? did anyone get interview after this letter? or is this a nicer way to say that I will be rejected in future?

I got this letter way back in maybe November or so, and just got an interview invitation yesterday.

i got the 'continue to review' category letter in december...nothing as of yet...:(

I can't seem to find any info on grading. Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places?

Thanks.

are they done with interviews? i have been on hold since december

interviewed 1/26, "hold list" letter received 3/5.

:(:(:(

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed on jan. 28...got a hold list decision this week.

what are the chances once on the hold list? anybody have any feedback?

is it likely that i could hear a final decision anytime soon or could i be waiting?

what about writing a letter of intent?

On interview day, how is the tour conducted?

It is scaring me that they specifically request that we wear comfortable shoes. My heels are comfortable, but I now worry about the terrain that I may have to walk on.

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

On interview day, how is the tour conducted?

It is scaring me that they specifically request that we wear comfortable shoes. My heels are comfortable, but I now worry about the terrain that I may have to walk on.

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

LOL..the interview tour is pretty chill...

u'll just be walking around the hospital, the room with the mechanical patient, walk around the halls, lounge of the hospital, library, etc...then at the end...u'll have to hike up a rocky mountain jk :lol:

Hey guys. Just got an interview invite to Penn State today (March 9) scheduled for March 24, 2009. However I already know where I am going so I canceled right away.

I also wrote in my cancellation for the ADCOM to replace me right away since I know how stressful the process is. Hopefully one of you guys looking for an invite get it.

So I'm one of those students who is still eagerly awaiting an interview. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get that interview before they're all gone? I.e. call the office, send something else?

I've already sent another letter of recommendation, my fall semester grades, and an email stating me continued interest in interviewing at Penn State.

Would doing anything else be overkill? I fear that if I don't get that interview by the end of the week, that's it.

send a letter of interest..it won't hurt

So I just got an interview invite today :confused: Since I was complete around mid-August, I feel like I'm interviewing for a spot on the waitlist or a rejection.

Just wondering if there's anyone out there that was invited for such a late interview and was later accepted?

I just interviewed there last week and asked if they still had class spots open and the admissions office said yes and that they try to keep spots open through the entire interview process so that applicants aren't just coming for a waitlist spot

I don't get it--all L(s)OInterest must sound alike, the same fake and cheesy lines. "I wish to express my continued to interest in your school, I like Penn State because... I've been doin this... blah blah." Sounds very boring.

Honestly, I only know about Penn State what I read on her website. But that doesn't mean I'm not genuinely interested in the school.

How do L(s)OInterest sound... interesting?

heya RedLemond~~
do you think you will be particularly active on your bicycle during med school? I was wondering if it'd be worth it to try to start a group for exercise enthusiasts...maybe include a wide variety of sports?
Like cycling, swimming, running, soccer, rugby (I think there is a student organization for that one already though), and whatever else people are interested in participating in to stay healthy and fit.
I'm not sure I saw one or not...but does Penn have a Ping Pong table anywhere? I'm not sure I was given a tour of any student lounge area...and I love me a good game of ping pong (its good for the brain).

There is a ping pong table in the student lounge. Also there was a organized rugby team for a short peroid of time.

I got a phone call yesterday for an invite next week. I called and they said that they are still interviewing for open spots in the class. Best of luck to those of you still waiting!

I wonder what's been going on with my application at Penn State. I've been on hold post-interview since... forever, and I think hold = waitlist but I was wondering when they sort all that out. Anyone know?

is penn state still interviewing? i've been on pre-int hold since september! maybe its a silent rejection? :uhno:

I had an interview there yesterday, and the office informed me that this is the last week of interviews. The committee will continue to meet through April, but those of us that interviewed late should expect to hear something before the May 15 deadline. Hope this helps!

I had an interview there yesterday, and the office informed me that this is the last week of interviews. The committee will continue to meet through April, but those of us that interviewed late should expect to hear something before the May 15 deadline. Hope this helps!

Just wanted to confirm that Friday, the 27th, was the last interview day. We were asked by everyone we met whether or not we knew that we were the last group. Here's to the wait! Hopefully, we'll find out a little before the May 15th deadline to give those who got accepted time to reflect.

just got an amcas background check email and pretty sure it's from penn state
here's to hoping it's not an april fools' joke...

Indeed, it does, and congratulations on your acceptance.

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting. For those of you on post-interview hold/waitlist, I got off the waitlist after about 5 weeks back in early January. Don't give up hope!

Branson, did you do anything like send a letter of interest? I am on post-interview hold and reallly want to hear back from them!!

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting. For those of you on post-interview hold/waitlist, I got off the waitlist after about 5 weeks back in early January. Don't give up hope!

Seriously. I'm wondering when they'll make some sort of "final" action on the post-interview hold... like an official waitlist or rejection.

Has anyone received the Criminal Background Check E-mail but then was waitlisted?

Branson, did you do anything like send a letter of interest? I am on post-interview hold and reallly want to hear back from them!!

No, I didn't send in anything between being placed on hold and when I was accepted. I planned on sending in an updated transcript after my fall grades were posted.

Has anyone received the Criminal Background Check E-mail but then was waitlisted?

i was wondeirng the same thing and i thought i asked about it in my original post... but apparently im going nuts and didnt.

but flipping back a couple pages it seems that the background check would only be run on accepted students or high-ranking waitlist students late in the game (how late? post-3/15 late or august late?)

checked my mail today and still nothing... will let you guys know as soon as i find out. was pretty set on going to temple already ahhhh med schools quit screwing with me!!

Are they still sending out interviews?

:(BJ, you make me sad. Penn State was my #1 choice. I like farm country. Oh well, I'm not sobbing over it. I've got Jefferson which is essentially the same school except in a huge city.

I just need to vent to a group who will understand.

So, as I hit the eight week mark this week, I decided to call and see what was up with my application. The admissions people, kind as ever on the phone, politely informed me that my committee meeting has not even been scheduled yet, and to expect two to three more weeks of waiting. Here's to patience!

What's that they say about things coming to those who wait?...

I'm sure this has probably been asked, but is the waitlist at Penn State just an exercise in futility? Does anyone ever get off the thing? I remember at the interview they said they accept 3X the class. Does this make the waitlist pointless? Any current students accepted off the waitlist?

Winston, thats a long wait! Mine was 10 weeks so if you don't hear back by then I would call them again :confused:

I just got my FA packet from penn state...64K in loans. Time to Withdraw and I hope someone who really wants it, gets my spot. Good luck.

I just got my FA packet from penn state...64K in loans. Time to Withdraw and I hope someone who really wants it, gets my spot. Good luck.

I'm assuming you mean 64K/year in loans yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.