2008-2009 Case Western Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, boo! Maybe monday?:cry:

I know. It's too bad, because I had all of my documents in by the end of February. On the bright side, I guess I can enjoy another weekend filled with false hopes and delusions!

Members don't see this ad.

I know. It's too bad, because I had all of my documents in by the end of February. On the bright side, I guess I can enjoy another weekend filled with false hopes and delusions!

Those are my favorite!!! :D

:cry:

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap that Cleveland Tourism video is hilarious. But it brought up an interesting question.

I was waiting for a train in Penn station yesterday when a guy asked to get past me to check the coin slot of the pay phone near me. Now, I've always thought this behavior was somewhat pathetic and bizarre when I was growing up and people were still using pay phones but isn't it the height of folly now? I mean, the percentage of people who actually use pay phones has dropped immensely. so I have to imagine that the chance of actually finding change accidfentally left by those few people is utterly abysmal.

Thinking about the low compensation of coin scavangers, I decided to put a nickle in the coin slot of the phone the guy had checked. My question is: is this better or worse than overt charity given to a beggar on the street? I thought better because it keeps their hope alive. A friend I was with said it was wasted since the coin scavangers obviously aren't doing it for the money.

Oh and myuu, I also need to "find" a phantom $4k, but I'm just going to live cheap (aside from the avalanche of nickles I'll be distributing to random pay phones throughout cleveland).

So I just calculated out my COA between Case and my state school thanks to Roadrunner's handy spreadsheet. It turns out to be about $140000 more at case if I pay 50,000/year after residency. Wow... I would love to come to case but I would rather go to my state school and purchase a house for the same cost :(

So I just calculated out my COA between Case and my state school thanks to Roadrunner's handy spreadsheet. It turns out to be about $140000 more at case if I pay 50,000/year after residency. Wow... I would love to come to case but I would rather go to my state school and purchase a house for the same cost :(

:( those are tough numbers to look at. Do you have a link for the spreadsheet? It's getting to where I need to start comparing the costs as well. Come on, fin aid info!!

$50,000/year on the 10 year plan? Good lord that is pretty brutal, but yes, that is the worst case scenario that I calculated. You'll be ok though - UIowa's a great school, I don't even think of it as a state school! So it's not like you're talking about a drop-off or anything. Are you still pondering Rochester?

:( those are tough numbers to look at. Do you have a link for the spreadsheet? It's getting to where I need to start comparing the costs as well. Come on, fin aid info!!

I'm still waiting for my financial aid too :( You can PM me with your email and I'll send you what I have. It's kind of messy but once you figure it out, you can play around with the numbers to see what kind of financial future you have. Too bad it's not like a financial aid ouija board.. lol

So I got my financial aid award letter today - no institutional aid of any kind. They basically said my family is expected to contribute about $12,000/year.. well, since my family isn't contributing anything towards my medical education, that means I'm on hook for the full $69k in loans.

I think this is it for Case. I'm not surprised though. It's nice to finally be able to move on..

So I got my financial aid award letter today - no institutional aid of any kind. They basically said my family is expected to contribute about $12,000/year.. well, since my family isn't contributing anything towards my medical education, that means I'm on hook for the full $69k in loans.

I think this is it for Case. I'm not surprised though. It's nice to finally be able to move on..

:cry:

Wow. On second thought, maybe I don't want to get my financial aid letter as soon as possible. For a school that has been around as long as Case you would think they would have a large endowment and be able to help students out more. I pretty worried about staring +300k in face after residency.

Wow. On second thought, maybe I don't want to get my financial aid letter as soon as possible. For a school that has been around as long as Case you would think they would have a large endowment and be able to help students out more. I pretty worried about staring +300k in face after residency.

After full COA and 5 years of residency, you're looking at $360k. :scared:

I'm gonna feel like I'm missing out on those LAN parties with Case-purchased laptops..

Members don't see this ad :)
$50,000/year on the 10 year plan? Good lord that is pretty brutal, but yes, that is the worst case scenario that I calculated. You'll be ok though - UIowa's a great school, I don't even think of it as a state school! So it's not like you're talking about a drop-off or anything. Are you still pondering Rochester?

Actually, I just assumed I would pay $50,000/year no matter where I go and see how long it would take to pay off and how much I would end up paying in total. I want to be debt free as fast as possible. Rochester is rather expensive as well. I would have loved to come to case but I dont want to give up several years of my life. Sorry to hear about no institutional aid, where are you leaning towards now?

Got my package today. Looks like I may be joining the party! (Maybe not the LAN parties, but the other ones at least... there will be other ones, right?)

Got my package today. Looks like I may be joining the party! (Maybe not the LAN parties, but the other ones at least... there will be other ones, right?)

Wanna teach me to play the guitar?:D:thumbup:

Would love to! Unfortunately I don't play 'em, just paint 'em. ;)

Damn...!

The longer you put off learning, the more people have to suffer through my playing! Just keep that in mind!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Damn...!

The longer you put off learning, the more people have to suffer through my playing! Just keep that in mind!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We'll make a class gift of earplugs :D

All we have to do is withdraw from other schools right? No need to contact Case or anything right?

What about remaining on waitlists and all that jazz

We'll make a class gift of earplugs :D

A most excellent suggestion!:thumbup:

All we have to do is withdraw from other schools right? No need to contact Case or anything right?

What about remaining on waitlists and all that jazz

Right! Waitlists are ok so long as they haven't turned into acceptances yet. Once they do, you're supposed to make the decision quickly and notify as appropriate.:thumbup:

I got my FA letter today and it looks like I have to leave the party. Case ends up being too expensive, even with grant $$. Sigh, Case seems like something special. They really go out of their way to help out applicants and students. In my opinion, their student focus and unique curriculum, really makes them stand out. Anyways, good luck to all and hope the best.

Awesome, glad to meet you!

For those of you still fretting over your decision I came across this TED talk the other day and thought of you. Initially, I was really happy that I had multiple acceptances, but as time went on and I started to agonize over costs, the joy of getting into med school dissipated. Why was I so unhappy? I should be in a great spot...not only did I get into med school, I have multiple places to choose from. This is a great spot right? It turns out though, this is exactly appropriate because, according to Dan Gilbert, extended decisions destroy our ability to synthesize happiness.

by the way, Gilbert's other TED lecture is probably the best TED talk I've ever seen.

I'm still waiting on an acceptance...:scared::xf::)

:p

if youre on the alternate list, it will start moving very quickly 1) because of the may 1sy deadline and 2)it seems a bunch of folks arent happy with their FA so will be ditiching case.

Got my FA letter yesterday (FYI had all my materials in on 4/2). All loans but I can't say I'm surprised. I'll be withdrawing today. Good luck to those waiting! :luck:

Does anyone know if these FA packages are typical of Case? It seems like everyone is only getting loans. I wonder if the economy and/or the poor market performance has affected the funds they use to help students. Anyone have any info?

I too am on the alternate list, and will gladly pay every cent. Bring on the loans!

Does anyone know if these FA packages are typical of Case? It seems like everyone is only getting loans. I wonder if the economy and/or the poor market performance has affected the funds they use to help students. Anyone have any info?

i think so. the schools endowment has taken a hit (same as everybody elses)

Just got my FA letter. I got a bit of grant money and a bunch of loans. Barring something totally unexpected, this pretty much seals the deal for me. :)

Thanks Myuu! :D

Btw, I wonder how our fellow campus adventurer is doing... I'm pretty sure that she needs to join us!

I think she was about to depart for parts much further east.:thumbup: Although, I expect her state school may have been more convincing.:oops:

I think she was about to depart for parts much further east.:thumbup: Although, I expect her state school may have been more convincing.:oops:

Yeah, I know. Just remaining hopeful. ;)

Waiting for award letter. Based on what others experienced here, if it is all loans, most probably it will be a withdraw for me. Good luck to rest

Had to withdraw today... hopefully my spot goes to someone who's been waiting!!! GOod luck!

Aaaaaaaah! I just withdrew from my other school. Nerve-wracking, but now I'm even more excited about CASE! :biglove:

Aaaaaaaah! I just withdrew from my other school. Nerve-wracking, but now I'm even more excited about CASE! :biglove:

Yay case! :D:D (finally withdrew from others, like Druzie) Case did a fantastic job of persuading me during the second look weekend.

I'm still waiting for my financial aid letter though :( I called and I was told the rest should be sent by today.

Such a big relief though. This is so exciting :luck:

Yay case! :D:D (finally withdrew from others, like Druzie) Case did a fantastic job of persuading me during the second look weekend.

I'm still waiting for my financial aid letter though :( I called and I was told the rest should be sent by today.

Such a big relief though. This is so exciting :luck:

Woohoo! :highfive:

Hey guys, quick question.

I got my aid package today and was curious if mine was better than normal. I know quite a few people got all loans, but i got 15k in grants (a year) and expected family contrib of 3k a year, and all the rest is loans.

I thought that was pretty good. Anyone else get a similar package?

I got my aid package today and was curious if mine was better than normal. I know quite a few people got all loans, but i got 15k in grants (a year) and expected family contrib of 3k a year, and all the rest is loans.

From what I've seen on here, and my package, yours def sounds better than average! It's not that great a sample though, so it's hard to say. I think that most of sdn isn't very vocal about their finaid, esp if they got a free ride, etc.

I'll put it this way, yours is the best finaid package I've heard about yet.

Mine was very similar--I was pretty pumped considering all the bad news others were getting. Now I can relax a little.

Mine was very similar--I was pretty pumped considering all the bad news others were getting. Now I can relax a little.

Agreed. For a while i was really considering my state school, I'm glad Case could make up the difference. :)

Where is everyone thinking of living? I'm from the area and drive to Case every other weekend to scope out the school. And from what I've seen the Triangle seems the best location-wise (albeit at a 1000$ a month price tag).

I wasn't at 2nd look and i know you had housing tours and ect..., anyone else have any nuggets of advice?

Oh and everyone check out their housing board we have access to, its really helpful.
http://casemed.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=house

Anyone else having difficulties with choosing case vs cheaper state school (U Iowa)? My state school is about ~19k/year less (thanks to generous financial aid). I want to let go of case as an option (and will have to by tomorrow if I do) but I loved case and I really really want to go there. I think I would feel stupid no matter what decision I make, either go in a lot of debt, or give up a chance at a school that I think is incredible. Anyone else feel that they are in a real conundrum? :confused:

Btw, I received around ~14k in grants from case too.

Also try casemed.case.edu/forums to check up on housing (that's the newer, updated webpage, though people still post on the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.