2006 VCU Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the feedback noland2b. I emailed Dr. H, and received the same info as ShyRem and you regarding the OOS waitlist. There has been basically no movement at all, and they will almost likely not get to me.

This sucks b/c last year there was considerable waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad.

Did she actually say they would "almost likely not get" to you? She didn't say anything at ALL to me about my chances since March!!!! AIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah she did. I think you are at a better position, maybe thats why she has said nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hoping I'm in a decent position, Nas. I keep hoping. The only thing she's said to me is "if that rate continues, we will get to you but not until later" and that was March. Since then - nothing. Just "no news at this time".

*sigh*

On another note, I noticed tacrum got off GW's waitlist. And I also noticed that many people are complaining about the lack of waitlist movement in general at lots of other schools. At least we're not alone.

I gotta go stain the deck. Maybe more manual labor will keep my mind off the slow painful death that is VCU's waitlist.

Dear VCU Central,

I will be withdrawing from the VCU waitlist (sorry, no acceptance opening) because I got into my top choice, GW!

I love you guys, and I hope VCU lets you in soon!

Sincerely,

tacrum

Congrats Tacrum! Best of luck to you at G-dub.

VPDcurt said:
Congrats Tacrum! Best of luck to you at G-dub.

Thank you. And I hope you do well at VCU. :)

tacrum43 said:
Thank you. And I hope you do well at VCU. :)
Tac, you are the man. Keep your head up and remember the little people. :thumbup:

(BTW, just found out today that we will be having ANOTHER girl in November...Damn, I'm going to be broke)

Love you guys, sorry this waitlist sucks so much a$$. I'm actually glad I found out a long time ago. Good luck to ya'll. I'm still thinking of you.

jbone said:
Tac, you are the man. Keep your head up and remember the little people. :thumbup:

:) Oh come on bone, we both know you're not exactly "little". But then I'm 6'5" and linebacker-esque, so I'm not exactly little either.

VCU waitlist roll-call

shyrem
nas23
nolamd2b
goinverted
bikedoc1021
vizsla
gogo110182
tootsies!

Our house goes on the market this week. I'm about to puke.

ShyRem said:
VCU waitlist roll-call

shyrem
nas23
nolamd2b
goinverted
bikedoc1021
vizsla
gogo110182
tootsies!

Our house goes on the market this week. I'm about to puke.

I really hope that you hear good news soon. I can't imagine having a family and house to juggle along with med school, but you'll be that much more prepared! Can't wait to meet everyone in August.

pseudo, if I actually get in to VCU this year (please please please please please) I will absolutely give you all the advice, study buddy-ness, study habits, hints, tricks, and tips you can handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys...just thought i'd add a little good news to the thread. i have been accepted to EVMS! yeah, i know its not VCU but its my first acceptance after 2 years and i'm still in shock. just goes to show that if you keep the faith and never give up, great things can happen. i still hope VCU will come through as well and then i'll have a choice to make. but i wish everyone the best and i will of course be around. my good luck goes out to all of you.

Congrats bikedoc!!!!!

It looks like I won't be getting in.

I just got into WVU two days ago, and when I talked to Dean Heldberg, she said hardly any of the in-staters on the waitlist show that they have any other offers.

Best of luck to any of you that get in, it's a great school (I was a post-bacc. there and wish I could stay).

flipanova7 said:
Hey guys, although VCU is my top choice, it looks like I won't be getting in either.

I just got into WVU two days ago, and when I talked to Dean Heldberg, she said hardly any of the in-staters on the waitlist show that they have any other offers.

Best of luck to any of you that get in, it's a great school (I was a post-bacc. there and wish I could stay).

so thats whats happening...everyone accepted doesnt have another offer yet, just holding spots on a waitlist somewhere else...doesnt sound good

Any information updates for OOS waitlisters?

Has this thread ever been on page 4???? Cuz that's where it was burried!! I think most of us are coming to the stark realization that our future at VCU is slipping away, for this year anyways. Too much stress on the family. They should probably find a way to let applicants know sooner just out of respect for their family and their sanity. I never thought it was that big of a deal to wait so long, but just toting us along until the first day of class with no indication of where we stand becomes more and more frustrating and angering each day.

There is movement on the OOS list. I went to Vegas this week and, although I didn't gamble, I hit the jackpot while I was there. I returned home last night to an acceptance from VCU!! The status page update email had been sent mid-week. The day before that, I had received an email from Dr. H saying that the alternate list has slowed to a crawl, but there are always late withdrawals. I got lucky and am so happy about the acceptance. I hope the list continues to move for the rest of you!

goinverted said:
Has this thread ever been on page 4???? Cuz that's where it was burried!! I think most of us are coming to the stark realization that our future at VCU is slipping away, for this year anyways. Too much stress on the family. They should probably find a way to let applicants know sooner just out of respect for their family and their sanity. I never thought it was that big of a deal to wait so long, but just toting us along until the first day of class with no indication of where we stand becomes more and more frustrating and angering each day.

I think every school should be mandated to have a ranked waitlists, and these rankings should be openly available to applicants. Of course it would suck if you called and were told you were #399 out of 400, but then you would at least know that theres no use sitting around and waiting bc you dont have a chance in hell. VCU is very accessible wih most aspects of their application process, but it still puzzles me as to why our rankings are held secret....it really serves no purpose other than to heighten the anxiety of those of us who are still waiting thinking that we might receive an email at any moment. anyways....good luck you guys :luck: .

ally84 said:
There is movement on the OOS list. I went to Vegas this week and, although I didn't gamble, I hit the jackpot while I was there. I returned home last night to an acceptance from VCU!! The status page update email had been sent mid-week. The day before that, I had received an email from Dr. H saying that the alternate list has slowed to a crawl, but there are always late withdrawals. I got lucky and am so happy about the acceptance. I hope the list continues to move for the rest of you!

Congrats Ally!!!!

goinverted said:
Just let it go young grasshoppa. Just let it go.

Vizsla said:
I think every school should be mandated to have a ranked waitlists, and these rankings should be openly available to applicants. Of course it would suck if you called and were told you were #399 out of 400, but then you would at least know that theres no use sitting around and waiting bc you dont have a chance in hell. VCU is very accessible wih most aspects of their application process, but it still puzzles me as to why our rankings are held secret....it really serves no purpose other than to heighten the anxiety of those of us who are still waiting thinking that we might receive an email at any moment. anyways....good luck you guys :luck: .

A problem arises when you have a ranked wailtist and you let the applicant know his/her standing. What happens is, the guy who's 399/400 on the list will probably withdraw right away. So would 398, 397, 396... onward, you get the drift. Then, suddenly, instead of relying on a bank of 400 alternates, the waitlist suddenly shrivels to 200, or maybe even less, and then if the school happens to wind up with good waitlist movement, there's always a chance they might underfill the class (yeah, as remote and impossible as that may seem to us, who are here stuck in waitlist hell, aka waitlist limbo). Anyway, the waitlist is a certain size for a reason.

But in general I agree that the stupid anxiety $#!t that we all go through is crappy. :( :mad: :thumbdown: :smuggrin: :sleep:

I dont mean to be a downer here guys but for those not already in, it might be time to find a backup plan.

I was in your situations last year for MCV (VCU), did the Certificate ( graduate post-bac) program and got in this year. The Certificate programs are still accepting applications and they do through June.

There are 6 programs in the basic health science certificate program. The 3 that I would recommend would be Anatomy, Physiology and biochemistry. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

Georgetown, American U, EVMS, and UVA all have similar programs to just name a few but if you are looking to go to MCV I would do the MCV (VCU) certificate program.

If you don't live around Virginia or DC this link to an AAMC page will allow you to search for programs near you:
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

I am sure you all have run into the double name of MCV/VCU. I would like to shed some light onto it.

MCV began in 1838 as the medical college for Hampton-Sidney College (a college in Va). Later, it merges with a nearby hospital/med school- the university college of medicine- to become MCV in 1913.

VCU undergrad began as RPI (richmond professional institute) as part of William and Mary College. RPI eventually separated from william and mary and became independent.

The Virginia State legislature merges the two in 1968 to make VCU. MCV was displeased with this and retained the right to maintain its own name. Thus in Richmond, although technically they were the part of the same institution, when people referred to VCU it was ONLY the undergraduate portion they were reffering to. Most people were not even aware that the two were connected since VCU also carried with it a stigma of a less than prestigious institution, espeically from its inauspicious beginnings as RPI. To its credit, VCU (undergrad) has improved steadily over the years.

In 2004, President Trani (yes that actually is his name) and the administration began to pursue a policy to change the naming of MCV to VCU having, by law, no actual authority to do so. The Medical Society of Virginia demanded an explanation of VCU's authority to change MCV's name. The policy of promoting the name "VCU Medical Center," however, has received no response from the General Assembly to date.

With much resistance from alumni, faculty and staff the Medical College of Virginia is now called Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine having nothing to do with VCU and acting completely autonomously from VCU. It did not NEED the connection to RPI and was forced to link up. To take the new name, VCU is ridiculous.

Let me give you a something for comparison that will make people not from Virginia understand. Imagine your alma mater is forced to merge with the Community College near it. Furious, your college demands and wins the right to keep its name. Then imagine the Community college a few years later forces your alma mater to change its name. Yeah, that's how the VCU/MCV name controversy is.

The medical community barely recognizes the name VCU as students for residency go to MCV hospitals not VCU hospitals. Alumni are furious and will only donate in the name of MCV.

Instatewaiter said:
I dont mean to be a downer here guys but for those not already in, it might be time to find a backup plan.

I was in your situations last year for MCV (VCU), did the Certificate ( graduate post-bac) program and got in this year. The Certificate programs are still accepting applications and they do through June.

There are 6 programs in the basic health science certificate program. The 3 that I would recommend would be Anatomy, Physiology and biochemistry. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

Georgetown, American U, EVMS, and UVA all have similar programs to just name a few but if you are looking to go to MCV I would do the MCV (VCU) certificate program.

If you don't live around Virginia or DC this link to an AAMC page will allow you to search for programs near you:
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Speaking of back up plans, has anyone else re-applied? I submitted my AMCAS last Friday. I haven't given up hope for this cycle, as Dr. H told me that if I did get in it may be very late in the season. However, the advice was to re-apply early.

Does anyone know if Dr. H is still at VCU? If I remember correctly, someone said that she's retiring in June.

I think her last day is to be June 30 (but I know it's on the website somewhere). Her replacement is Dr. Cook.

Instatewaiter said:
I am sure you all have run into the double name of MCV/VCU. I would like to shed some light onto it.

MCV began in 1838 as the medical college for Hampton-Sidney College (a college in Va). Later, it merges with a nearby hospital/med school- the university college of medicine- to become MCV in 1913.

VCU undergrad began as RPI (richmond professional institute) as part of William and Mary College. RPI eventually separated from william and mary and became independent.

The Virginia State legislature merges the two in 1968 to make VCU. MCV was displeased with this and retained the right to maintain its own name. Thus in Richmond, although technically they were the part of the same institution, when people referred to VCU it was ONLY the undergraduate portion they were reffering to. Most people were not even aware that the two were connected since VCU also carried with it a stigma of a less than prestigious institution, espeically from its inauspicious beginnings as RPI. To its credit, VCU (undergrad) has improved steadily over the years.

In 2004, President Trani (yes that actually is his name) and the administration began to pursue a policy to change the naming of MCV to VCU having, by law, no actual authority to do so. The Medical Society of Virginia demanded an explanation of VCU's authority to change MCV's name. The policy of promoting the name "VCU Medical Center," however, has received no response from the General Assembly to date.

With much resistance from alumni, faculty and staff the Medical College of Virginia is now called Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine having nothing to do with VCU and acting completely autonomously from VCU. It did not NEED the connection to RPI and was forced to link up. To take the new name, VCU is ridiculous.

Let me give you a something for comparison that will make people not from Virginia understand. Imagine your alma mater is forced to merge with the Community College near it. Furious, your college demands and wins the right to keep its name. Then imagine the Community college a few years later forces your alma mater to change its name. Yeah, that's how the VCU/MCV name controversy is.

The medical community barely recognizes the name VCU as students for residency go to MCV hospitals not VCU hospitals. Alumni are furious and will only donate in the name of MCV.

wow, where did u get all this info from?

Just checked the website - Dr. H's last day is June 30. No official word that I can find on her replacement, just her reference in my email. Any news, anyone??

I don't think I posted this already but I declined my out-of-state acceptance in early June. Good luck to everyone waiting.

paceac said:
I don't think I posted this already but I declined my out-of-state acceptance in early June. Good luck to everyone waiting.

I was just in Sonoma, CA! It's right by Napa Valley!

Pewl said:
I was just in Sonoma, CA! It's right by Napa Valley!

It is one valley west of the Napa Valley. What were you doing in Sonoma? Were you up here for the NASCAR races this past weekend?

paceac said:
It is one valley west of the Napa Valley. What were you doing in Sonoma? Were you up here for the NASCAR races this past weekend?

We went up to Napa for wine tasting and then to SF. We stopped by my old roommate's house to Vallejo first, so I guess we made a pitstop at some outlet mall in Sonoma before heading over to Napa.

Sonoma doesn't have outlet malls. You might have been in Petaluma which is in Sonoma County. Sonoma County is pretty big. I live in the actual town of Sonoma.

dr. h's "replacement" is dr. michelle whitehurst-cook, a family practitioner who has served as chair of the admissions committee for a while. she's nice, but doesnt come close to dr. h.

AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't it just seem ... I dunno... WRONG... for secondaries to be going out while some of us are hoping for waitlist movement?!!?!?

yeah, I know. time to grow up. I don't wanna. I wanna pout and scream and flail my fists on the floor in frustration and hope someone tells me to go take a nap.

ok. Better now. :oops:

ShyRem said:
AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't it just seem ... I dunno... WRONG... for secondaries to be going out while some of us are hoping for waitlist movement?!!?!?

yeah, I know. time to grow up. I don't wanna. I wanna pout and scream and flail my fists on the floor in frustration and hope someone tells me to go take a nap.

ok. Better now. :oops:

its pretty depressing....when does orientation start @ UNECOM?

dont know why im bumping....this thread is pretty much dead...

crazy_cavalier said:
I have them on my Alternate List.

they might hear back from you late summer..but its prob best if they go ahead and reapply to be your medical school :D

Per Dr. Messmer today, they've only given out 2 acceptances in the past three weeks. Basically, we're dead to them.

Just wanted to let all of you core VCU-Central waiters know that I'm still rooting for you... :luck:

Congratulations Tacrum on GW and Bikedoc on EVMS!

Guys...I just got in...first acceptance! I'm not even sure what this means right now... I'm extremely excited...but sort of overwhelmed

Get into VCU, or another school you were w/l at (PSU?)

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) I bet its a great feeling. Now you can enjoy the long weekend without any worries! Congrats again.

Status
Not open for further replies.