2006 VCU Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone

i just posted in the allo forum

im the official stalker of sdn, this is my second post, but i have been reading all the posts of the threads at the schools i was active at. anyway, i made my official decision this week, and i will be attending mcv this fall. very excited to meet you all, and very very best of luck to those that are waiting!

p.s. one thing that i am very exicited about our class is that we wont have many of those sdn-ers with the "OMG Harvard Hopkins Duke or UCSF..??? Help me choose" posts that make you want to vomit.

p.s.s. i heard from a very credible source (a doctor at a mid-atlantic school) that there was some sort of poll conducted and in the category of "top 'up-and-coming' schools in the country" mcv placed in the top five. not sure about all of the others, but i heard the cleveland clinic was ranked one on the list, and case was also up there..

anyway sorry for the blabbering, best of luck to all the waiters again!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats jrp and brianard0. Thanks for the news about the OOS moving a lil faster now.

If we all get into VCU, we should have an SDN VCU Central Party at orientation, lol.

jrb82 said:
Dr. H said I was on the border just around 2 weeks ago, so that can only mean the OOS list is moving faster than expected.

Did Dr. H say they might or might not get to you on the waitlist? If you don't mind, how did she exactly say it? I understand she has to be vague a lot of times, since there is no guarantee. Did she say this a few weeks ago? I'm wondering if I should send another email asking her about my position.

Thanks.

And again, Congrats! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
What kind of messages have any of you accepted off the OOS waitlist gotten from Dr. H regarding your position/possibility of acceptance?

I'm dying here............ *sigh* Ok. maybe I'm still just a little stressed out.

back in the day in february, dr h told me i was probably not going to get in during the march acceptances, but she could be wrong. the way i read that was, i was pretty close to being accepted at that time, but not close enough.... she also said that i had "a very decent shot off the waitlist"

then i e mailed her a month ago at around the may 15th deadline, and she said "be patient, the oos list is moving slower than usual"

take all of that for what its worth...and good luck again, i know everyone is pulling for you vcu regulars :luck: :luck:

Nas23 said:
Did Dr. H say they might or might not get to you on the waitlist? If you don't mind, how did she exactly say it? I understand she has to be vague a lot of times, since there is no guarantee. Did she say this a few weeks ago? I'm wondering if I should send another email asking her about my position.

Thanks.

And again, Congrats! :)

NAS, she said almost word for word that we would have to wait and see, and that patience is a virtue. Before that she had told me (about 3 weeks before) that the class seemed to be sitting tight and it could be July until I get in, if I get in. She also recommended me enroll in a post bac and re-apply (I did enroll in a post-bac but didn't reapply b/c my MCATs expired and I needed to take a course before retaking it).

So the main thing I would say is that the truth is, none of us are experts on how this list is going to move... and that includes the admissions committee. This has seemingly been a crazy and unusual year of applications. However, the best I can say with the limited info that I know is that things are moving more than expected because I got in faster than told. I would also say that Dr. H errs on the cautious side, because if she were to say that someone was in, and then it didn't happen, it would get ugly. So if she gives you great news, you're probably in. If she gives you good news take it as great news, if she gives you fair news, take it as good, and if she says it probably won't happen, understand that theres still a slight chance!

She is swamped (she told me that in the last email), so I really am not sure if you should send her an email. I really don't know what I would do myself.
The road to medical school is littered with stories of people getting in really late, people getting in on the first day of class because someone didn't show up, people with lower than average numbers getting in (probably my story), and countless others.

Throughout this process I was often intimidated and nervous but I never gave up on myself. The very WORST thing any applicant on the alternate list can do is lose hope, because until that first day of class in August, you still have a shot. Best of luck bro, hope that helps, and I really hope you get in!

I had emailed her around May 15 and got a very vague response stating that I would just have to wait and see and that the class was already full. There is obviously still hope then - she seems to send a vague email to everyone!

VPDcurt said:
I had emailed her around May 15 and got a very vague response stating that I would just have to wait and see and that the class was already full. There is obviously still hope then - she seems to send a vague email to everyone!

I think I got the same message as you. Something about the list haven't practically no movement and she wouldn't know anything until after May 15th. :(

jrb82 said:
NAS, she said almost word for word that we would have to wait and see, and that patience is a virtue. Before that she had told me (about 3 weeks before) that the class seemed to be sitting tight and it could be July until I get in, if I get in. She also recommended me enroll in a post bac and re-apply (I did enroll in a post-bac but didn't reapply b/c my MCATs expired and I needed to take a course before retaking it).

So the main thing I would say is that the truth is, none of us are experts on how this list is going to move... and that includes the admissions committee. This has seemingly been a crazy and unusual year of applications. However, the best I can say with the limited info that I know is that things are moving more than expected because I got in faster than told. I would also say that Dr. H errs on the cautious side, because if she were to say that someone was in, and then it didn't happen, it would get ugly. So if she gives you great news, you're probably in. If she gives you good news take it as great news, if she gives you fair news, take it as good, and if she says it probably won't happen, understand that theres still a slight chance!

She is swamped (she told me that in the last email), so I really am not sure if you should send her an email. I really don't know what I would do myself.
The road to medical school is littered with stories of people getting in really late, people getting in on the first day of class because someone didn't show up, people with lower than average numbers getting in (probably my story), and countless others.

Throughout this process I was often intimidated and nervous but I never gave up on myself. The very WORST thing any applicant on the alternate list can do is lose hope, because until that first day of class in August, you still have a shot. Best of luck bro, hope that helps, and I really hope you get in!

Thanks for the post and congrats!!

Congrats to all who recently got in too

Now that the forums are back up, I thought I'd get us back to page 1.

Have a good weekend everyone :D

VCU Central on pg 3??...has it come to this? for shame...im sure it has nothing to do w/ the fact that i have no life and check SDN constantly ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
where are you my friends and fellow waiters?!? no posts for 9+ hours? here's a good luck to everyone for this week and don't give up.

its funny how i myself dont post on here but still get upset when others dont....

:luck: :luck: :luck: to all; those who are waiting, those who have decided to wait no more and those who are sitting on the fence between waiting and not-waiting.

Oh, yeah. Still here. Been busy - daughter is healing from collarbone fx still (you can actually feel the bone ends right under her skin - eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww), son had tonsillectomy Friday. His breath finally is not smelling QUITE so much like charred flesh and he's acting almost normal as long as the codeine is in effect. If we let the codeine wear off however, his throat hurts like crazy, hurts to swallow, his ears hurt, etc. etc. still hurts him to chew much more than soft food. I will say that looking in his mouth these days has been... educational... and more than a bit humbling at the strength of my son to handle what must be incredibly painful.

And the house is ALMOST done being painted outside. I've been so busy babying the kids I haven't done much of anything inside the house for a week. Gotta go get more ice cream tomorrow. Gotta make more crepes too. For some reason he thinks they're pretty ok to eat with his mouth in the condition it is now.

So I e-mailed Dr. H like 2 weeks ago and nothing. I am really wanting to know where I will be laying claim for the next four years. Maybe then my wife will talk to me once more. :laugh:

goinverted, I sent her an email this evening and received this automated reply:

I will be out of the office starting 06/14/2006 and will not return until
06/20/2006.

Looks like your wife won't be talking for the next week. Another week for my husband and I to wonder and wait. *sigh*

Hi everyone,

I thought this would be a great opportunity to bump this thread back up to Page 1 and send all of you waiters many good thoughts and good wishes from San Mateo Ixtatan in Guatemala! Can you believe I'm in another country and I'm still posting to this thread?

At any rate, I just wanted to let you know that I'm still rooting for you and hoping that all you core VCU waiters will be starting school with me in the fall.

Que le vaya bien.

BUMP from page 3. Tsk tsk.

tacrum43 said:
BUMP from page 3. Tsk tsk.

yeah...this is prob representative of our collective hopes succumbing to the reality of a waitlist

Vizsla said:
yeah...this is prob representative of our collective hopes succumbing to the reality of a waitlist

There's still plenty of days left in June. And July. :luck:

It's time to move on to page 120!

bump, any news from anyone about any waitlist movement at all? anything?

Dr. H is oot until the 20th, with no email access until the 19th. I assume, therefore, no waitlist movement.

Anyone hear anything from her regarding possibilities of getting off the list lately?

VCU Central is getting very close to 100,000 views...obviously once we reach that, the waitlist will start moving again.

Anybody out there (like me) still waiting and hoping? I think we need a role call.

I'll start: tac

Eventhough Dr. H told me my chances were next to nil, I'm still here.

noland2b, if you don't mind, what did she say exactly that gave you that impression?

I'm still here. And still waiting. My 38k tuition at the school I'm accepted to is starting to look pretty damn steep. Where's my instate love? :(

VCU waitlist roll-call:

tacrum43
shyrem
nas23
nolamd2b
goinverted

adding to the role call...i'm still here...still waiting...

VCU waitlist roll-call

tacrum43
shyrem
nas23
nolamd2b
goinverted
bikedoc1021
vizsla

VCU waitlist roll-call

tacrum43
shyrem
nas23
nolamd2b
goinverted
bikedoc1021
vizsla
gogo110182

VCU waitlist roll-call

tacrum43
shyrem
nas23
nolamd2b
goinverted
bikedoc1021
vizsla
gogo110182
tootsies!

i'm still here...but with nothing to say.

btw, nolamd2b, i can commiserate with you...i got the "we are not close to you" email reply from dr. H like a week ago. :thumbdown: but hey, i'm still here, too :rolleyes:

Did Dr. H email you guys on her own saying that, or is this a response to an email you guys sent?

I have not asked her in a few weeks. When I last asked, she did not hint anything at all. Just indicated that all waitlistees should begin their AMCAS soon. When I emailed her back in March, she said if they would get to me, it would be late summer. But they are not b/c they had no idea how fast the waitlist would move.

Is the door closing on us? Hope not.

Well at least you heard something. I emailed her and I think it was the week before last and still haven't heard anything. :eek:

How's everyone doing in general? I know we're all holding our breath for VCU, but I was curious how ya'll are doing at other schools. I hope that many of my friends here on this thread have an acceptance at someplace, somewhere.

My birthday's coming up next week, and it would be pretty sweet to get an offer from MCV... I'm instate, and that would be a $100k gift in terms of lower tuition. But at least I have an acceptance at another school, so I guess I shouldn't be so greedy :oops:

Anyone hear from Dr. H lately? She's been a fabulous source of unanswered questions lately. :p She did say, though, that there has been NO waitlist movement for a few weeks. :(

ShyRem said:
Anyone hear from Dr. H lately? She's been a fabulous source of unanswered questions lately. :p She did say, though, that there has been NO waitlist movement for a few weeks. :(

:( When did she says this?

ShyRem said:

I think the last SDNer to be accepted was VDPCurt on 6/07

Got an email reply from her today. She said there has been "absolutely NO turnover in the past couple of weeks". Apparently both she and Dr. Cook (her replacement) have been a bit.. surprised... by the distinct lack of waitlist movement this year.

But other than that, she said nothing about where I'm currently standing. *sigh*

ShyRem said:
Got an email reply from her today. She said there has been "absolutely NO turnover in the past couple of weeks". Apparently both she and Dr. Cook (her replacement) have been a bit.. surprised... by the distinct lack of waitlist movement this year.

But other than that, she said nothing about where I'm currently standing. *sigh*

Damn, that really sucks. I had a feeling it'd turn out this way too. Of course, we got royally screwed this year. Not only did they consider more applicants than usual in the past, granting more interviews and whatnot, they also went about and implemented this stupid status system, which screwed us over some more, whereas in the past people were not placed on a perma-hold since September. In the past people were given a firm, solid, reasonable decision.

But let's not forget the icing on the cake - the lack of waitlist movement. Well $#!t.

Nas23 said:
noland2b, if you don't mind, what did she say exactly that gave you that impression?

Here's an excerpt from the reply she sent to my request for info on where I stood:

"...as the time goes by, I am less and less optimistic for those of you on the in-state list. The turnover has not been great so it looks like it will be much later, if at all, that we get to you. I know this is disappointing, but I think at this moment, you should consider a new application for next year if you are not in elsewhere. I am concerned that if you wait around to hear from us it will make your new application late in the process and thereby hurt your chances for next year."

This was at the end of May, but judging by the other posts I'm seeing, I don't think much has changed.

I'm pretty much hanging everything on VCU. I had an interview last week for a Caribbean med school and I'm waiting on a decision from a post-bacc program, but a miracle from the Richmond direction would be nice :D Of course, it looks like I'm last in line for miracles, so I hope some arrive for the rest of y'all!! :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.