2006 VCU Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ShyRem said:
I have this feeling that it's not gonna happen. Or if it does, it'll be too late for me to uproot my entire family, make plans, change plans, quit jobs, pack, move, etc. etc. etc. It's not like I can just drive for one day and be there - it'll take me FOUR DAYS of driving alone. Not to mention packing MY stuff, finding a place for the whole family to live, etc.

I think I'm done at VCU. Just reserved the movers to go to Maine for DO school.
Sorry to hear that Shy...I was pulling for you. But don't be disapointed, UNECOM is a fantastic school. :thumbup: :thumbup: Look on the bright side. You'll be a great physician no matter where you go to school. hugs and kisses- Keep your chin up.
Jason

Members don't see this ad.

Natatiap said:
Did anyone receive secondaries from VCU yet??
:confused: Um... yeah. Got my secondary about 11 months ago. This thread is about folks that applied LAST YEAR for med school starting in THREE WEEKS. I think you're looking for the 2007 VCU thread.

Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
:confused: Um... yeah. Got my secondary about 11 months ago. This thread is about folks that applied LAST YEAR for med school starting in THREE WEEKS. I think you're looking for the 2007 VCU thread.

Good luck to you.
:laugh: we are really gonna miss you shy

ShyRem, best of luck in Maine. I know you wanted VCU really badly, but you will make an excellent physician!

Am I the only one who still thinks that ShyRem is coming to VCU?

Apparition said:
Am I the only one who still thinks that ShyRem is coming to VCU?

Nope, I'm still with you. But, I'm a big believer in last minute good news :D

:thumbdown: Yes, page 7, VCU is really pitiful!! Why don't you drag us on a little more.....I don't think we've had enough yet! :thumbdown: Well, I wish everyone the best, we're most likely going down to AZCOM, where they let me know I was in back in Sept. only two days after I interviewed. It was nice at least conversing with everyone and who knows maybe we'll see each other down the road somewhere. :luck:

Out!

wow...we are losing all the originals...what a sad end for this once magnificent thread... too bad. good luck to all of you wherever you end up :luck: :luck:

bunch of good folks leaving for sure. at least, they will still be dr.s somewhere else. keep it up guys. peae and goodluck for the next 4 years/

go Bruins! The loss of Jordan Farmar will be mitigated by the return of Josh Shipp! :D

Ironic that I'd be the one posting here in the very end, after everyone has abandoned this thread. =P

Have you gotten good news, Pewl?

I think the rest of us have succumbed to reality and given up the fantasy of going to VCU.

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
Have you gotten good news, Pewl?

I think the rest of us have succumbed to reality and given up the fantasy of going to VCU.

Well I heard 'good news' a long time ago last December. I'm just surprised at how little waitlist movement there's been at VCU.

Sorry, Pewl. You're a good person to be keeping up with the rest of us.

Dr. H did say before she left that she has been "disappointed" by the lack of waitlist movement. In March she was saying they would certainly get to me if the waitlist movement was like it has been in past years. Guess not. :( But I suppose this is one of the reasons they won't tell you where you stand - they don't want to get your hopes up and then have them crash down. Good thing I didn't turn the "get to you later" into a "you're in but we can't tell you yet". I can see where some folks would have, tho.

hey guys, IM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just got application update....un-freaking believable .....good luck to the rest of you guys :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Vizsla said:
hey guys, IM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just got application update....un-freaking believable .....good luck to the rest of you guys :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Vizsla, that's awesome!!!!!
Congrats!!!

Congrats Vizsla! Was this your 1st acceptance? VCU is a good school, you'll love it.

Nas23 said:
Congrats Vizsla! Was this your 1st acceptance? VCU is a good school, you'll love it.

yeah...i cant believe it....i wish all of you VCU Central originials were coming with me man...

Vizsla said:
Congrats!!

Party hard my friend. :D

Vizsla said:

Wow. Congrats, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Vizsla said:

Congratulations, man! It's a great feeling. Go out and celebrate semi-responsibly! :D

Hi again everyone! Although "everyone" is not as big as it used to be. :(

Super congrats to the Hungarian Hunting Dog for getting in!!! :thumbup:

And to Inverted and Shy-- sorry it doesn't seem to be working out the way you'd like but I know where you end up will be extremely lucky to have you and you'll be happy with them, too. You're both going to be awesome docs! :D

It's crazy how things have evolved over the last ~year. I'm still in shock that school starts in just a couple of weeks. It's been a great run and I hope all the VCU hopefuls and CL2010 keep in touch over the next few years. It will be a fun ride!

:luck: :love:
FD

Some things are meant to be. Some things aren't. My husband went to Maine on Sunday to look for a job and a house for the whole fang damily to live in. By Monday morning at 10am he had a conditional job offer with the rest of his employment tests set up already. Today he put an offer in on an 1800 sq ft house on 1.36 wooded acres with a lake 5 minutes away walking distance. Granted, it'll be a 45 min-1 hr drive for me to get to school every day, but the school system is good for the kids and it's a little slice of heaven away from it all. Oh - and we sold our current house for full price.

Sometimes things happen for a reason. And sometimes things *don't* happen for a reason. I'm just not meant to go to VCU. I wish you all a good time down there. Perhaps we'll meet along the rotation or residency trail.

:luck:

Congrats to Vizsla!

Shy, it sounds like you ended up making a really good choice, considering the way the pieces are falling into place so well for you. I hope the move isn't too traumatic and I wish you, and the rest of the VCU crowd, luck in school this year. :)

Best of luck to you and your family, Shy. Take it easy.

congrats vizsla!! see? all your ranting and raving was for nothing!!

i sure hope you didnt send in your amcas ;)

Nananana Nananana Hey Hey Hey goodbyyye..

Hmmm, I wonder where everyone went.

Bee09 said:
congrats vizsla!! see? all your ranting and raving was for nothing!!

i sure hope you didnt send in your amcas ;)

thanks...ranting? Perhaps a little raving here and there but I dont remember ever ranting ;) ...I was pretty close to sending it in but just wanted to wait a little longer. Good luck w/ everything Shy!

still here, pewl...but just with nothing to say.

hey, if we call up vcu and ask for the secondary but still planning to retake Aug. MCATs, do you guys think that they'd review the application? or just wait until the scores come in?

i can't believe i have to retake. i can't believe the wl isn't moving.

Vizsla, CONGRATULATIONS!!

It's great to see that another core VCU Central poster is going to be in Richmond this fall. If there's anything I can do to help get you up to speed on orientation or financial aid details, feel free to PM me.

Shy, I truly believe you'll carve out a beautiful niche for yourself wherever you go. Congratulations to your husband on the job and I'm crossing my fingers that the bid will go through on the house.

Make Maine great.

House bid went through. A slice of heaven in the country, in the woods, on a lake. Worth the 45 minute drive each way. Just gotta get the sellers to agree to fix some of the problems that came up in the inspection report now. Or lower their price $10K to have the house re-roofed, heating inspection, chimney cleaning and inspection, electrical inspection (and find out where the water in the fuse box is coming from). We'll re-trim the house, repaint the house, fix the leaking faucets, fix the doors, the handrails, the smoke detectors, the water guards, and install the gutters. Think they'll go for it? Dang - we leave Colorado in TWO FREAKIN' DAYS.

Y'all ready to live in VA??

Safe travels to you and your family, Shy, and to anyone else moving in the next 2 weeks.

Good luck to all this next year! :D

Well, folks, seeing as how today was the beginning of orientation, I guess we can officially give up hope now. I submitted my AMCAS today in acceptance of that defeat.

So, good luck to everyone for the next cycle. Guess I'll be seeing you on the MCV 2007 thread :luck:

nolamd2b said:
Well, folks, seeing as how today was the beginning of orientation, I guess we can officially give up hope now. I submitted my AMCAS today in acceptance of that defeat.

So, good luck to everyone for the next cycle. Guess I'll be seeing you on the MCV 2007 thread :luck:

We had roll call today and there was definitely someone that didn't show up...so a spot might open up tomorrow (according to the dean).

Oh VCU, what a loss. Love ya shy, inverted and all. Good luck to ya'll. Remember the bone once and a while. :thumbup:
Good times!

VPDcurt said:
We had roll call today and there was definitely someone that didn't show up...so a spot might open up tomorrow (according to the dean).

Cool-full scholarship for that person :D Enjoy your year, VPDcurt!

I got excited by your note and just called and the folks that everyone showed up yesterday and class is full. What do you think?

VPDcurt said:

JustMe7 said:
I got excited by your note and just called and the folks that everyone showed up yesterday and class is full. What do you think?

There was definitely someone that didn't show up at the roll call. Dr. Whitehurst-Cook said something along the lines of, "well that spot might be filled with someone else by tomorrow unless we can get in contact with him/her." I guess they got in contact with that person and they had a legit excuse for not being there on time.

Out of (morbid?) curiosity, what's the average age of the class?

VPDcurt said:
There was definitely someone that didn't show up at the roll call. Dr. Whitehurst-Cook said something along the lines of, "well that spot might be filled with someone else by tomorrow unless we can get in contact with him/her." I guess they got in contact with that person and they had a legit excuse for not being there on time.

Wow. thanks. Let's still wish for one of those miracles.

No miracles, folks. I got that fabulous "sorry, no room at the inn for you" messages. Said classes started and we were hosed. I start gross tomorrow at UNECOM. Happy to be a doc in four years.

For those of you who must reapply, I was a reapp this past year. Keep your options open, don't discount a DO school, and keep pluggin' away. Things generally work out along a certain time frame for a reason. I don't even pretend to know what that is, but it seems years down the road you can look back and say "gee, I wouldn't be in this great position today if I hadn't had that thing happen years ago".

Good luck to you all. jbone - perhaps we'll meet along the rotation road.

ShyRem said:
No miracles, folks. I got that fabulous "sorry, no room at the inn for you" messages. Said classes started and we were hosed. I start gross tomorrow at UNECOM. Happy to be a doc in four years.

For those of you who must reapply, I was a reapp this past year. Keep your options open, don't discount a DO school, and keep pluggin' away. Things generally work out along a certain time frame for a reason. I don't even pretend to know what that is, but it seems years down the road you can look back and say "gee, I wouldn't be in this great position today if I hadn't had that thing happen years ago".

Good luck to you all. jbone - perhaps we'll meet along the rotation road.
ShyRem - I had not kept up on your progress. I'm sorry about VCU's response, but that's fantastic that you're starting gross tomorrow. I have to wait another two weeks before orientation, let alone real classes. I hope the move and everything went all right. I will make nearly the same cross-country trek you did starting Friday.

I got the final rejection status as well. Its been a long road but I'm grateful for how far I got. I just passed the screening for the 2007 cycle at VCU. Will be retaking the MCAT next week so hopefully this time around things will be better.

I wish all of you guys great success and its been a pleasure chatting with yall. Hope to join those admitted soon and for those in my same situation or just starting out - good luck to you as well.

On to MCV 2007 Central for me.

Cheers :D

Gross begins on Monday for me. I occasionally wonder if I shouldn't have gone to VCU instead, but I'm happy with my choice and I look forward to being done with orientation this week.

hi guys
sorry to crash this thread, but i was wondering if you could help me...im trying to apply to vcu this year, and i have two questions...

1. i read on the website/secondary that they are implementing a change, and that starting from the matriculating class of 2007 (ie class of 2011), some of the students will do clerkships on campus while some others will do them away from campus at fairfax inova hospital in falls church, va, just outside dc. we need to indicate which we would like, and this choice is binding...i am not sure which would be the better choice.....both seem like big/busy hospitals....and i am assuming the medical training would be the same at either place??? any thoughts?

2. also on their 2007 secondary, one of the essay questions is, "what are your thoughts on specialties and how do you plan to choose yours?" i am just trying to get into medical school first...it seems like they want us to have a solid plan as to where we want to go after med school....but dont ppl change their minds/dont really know until med school has progressed anyway? help! not sure how to best address this question....

any help/input/thoughts/advice on either of these points would be much appreciated....
thanks again, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.