Your secret weapon...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctran019

forever med student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is especially for those who consider themselves underdawgs or non-traditional. What is one quality/characteristic/experience/stat/thing you're relying on to get an interview/accepted?

I think the most unique thing about me as an applicant was that I was homeless until the age of 12 and wrote about that experience in my secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
6 years chem tutoring experience?? Maybe I guess

Invented sliced bread.....very non-traditional applicant.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Creating a curriculum that has resulted in a complete overhaul (mainly philosophy at this point) of a peds residency training program

Dual D1 athlete.

Grew up poor, raised by a single parent who has ptsd, father of two, working full time while taking my prereqs.;)

Reactions: 2 users
7 years as a full-time paramedic working 72+ hours a week, taking classes full-time, and supporting my family of 5. Surely that will get me some love

Reactions: 1 users
Niche/interesting angle as a women's studies major + applicant very committed to underserved

Members don't see this ad :)
Grew up poor, raised by a single parent who has ptsd, father of two, working full time while taking my prereqs.;)

Those are some unique talking points right there. Hope you get in.

I am the Lindberg baby!

Most people do not have one thing that will get them accepted. But you have a compelling story.

This thread is especially for those who consider themselves underdawgs or non-traditional. What is one quality/characteristic/experience/stat/thing you're relying on to get an interview/accepted?

I think the most unique thing about me as an applicant was that I was homeless until the age of 12 and wrote about that experience in my secondaries.

I grew up a UofM fan but was converted from the dark side at the age of 11 :laugh:.
I would say my nearly two years of ED scribe experience/LORs from those physicians. But it's not so much a "secret weapon" as it is an example of my medical passion/experience.

Invented sliced bread.....very non-traditional applicant.

So... are you the greatest thing before or since sliced bread, then?

I can pat my head and rub my tummy, simultaneously. If that doesn't get me in, then the system is rigged.

I'm not really a DO under dog, but I co-founded a student volunteer organization that did a lot of events to help the local population of homeless veterans

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I can pat my head and rub my tummy, simultaneously. If that doesn't get me in, then the system is rigged.
I simply put it out there for the betterment of humanity. I can't claim to be the greatest thing before or since, just a humble servant to society.

Unfortunately, people only remember your last achievement. So, I was only great during the time I invented sliced bread. Now I'm back to being my old irrelevant self.

Not sure if this is compelling to others but it is to me: Before I came out as lesbian, I had a wall between me and the world. The way I connected with the world was much different after the age of 23. Then, I lived in Africa for 1 year.

I also went to public health school for my masters and TA-ed for virology. And tutored students with learning disabilities for 4 years

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

the biggest secret weapon...?

Knowing the right people in admissions and being a kiss-ass.

You'll be surprised how far this gets you.