Florida recently surpassed 1 mil concealed weapon permit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys all think about this. Florida also has that stand your ground law. What this all means is that one out of every 14 people you see might be carrying a weapon. Personally I feel a little scared about moving there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys all think about this. Florida also has that stand your ground law. What this all means is that one out of every 14 people you see might be carrying a weapon. Personally I feel a little scared about moving there.

Florida has become the wild wild west; almost every adult own a gun in the state.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh there are WAY MORE gun owners in FL than that. State law here does not require a permit to own a gun. In fact, it is perfectly legal to buy a firearm in a private sale without any records of ownership.

Ask me how I know ;) Its pretty funny to me how anyone could be "afraid to move there", when in actuality you are MUCH MUCH safer. Heaven forbid you find yourself in one of these crazy mass shooter scenarios, you bet your ass youll be praying someone close to you has a gun

This is why in FL, you better think twice before breaking and entering someone's home

Florida has become the wild wild west; almost every adult own a gun in the state.

Word on the street is that the sheriff is meetin' Wild Boy Bill in front of the clock tower at high noon...

But the stand your ground law? It's scary because they are legally allowed to shoot you if you feel "threatened." does this mean that you need to be overly cautious when approaching a stranger? Or am I being naive?

But the stand your ground law? It's scary because they are legally allowed to shoot you if you feel "threatened." does this mean that you need to be overly cautious when approaching a stranger? Or am I being naive?

Treat people with respect and don't dress like a gangster. Some things that our parents have always taught us go a long way.

Have you ever fired a gun? Once you become familiar with a gun you realize it is just a tool that needs to be treated safely. I don't own a gun but I don't fear them.

Threatened for your life. As long as your idea of approaching a stranger is not to swing a baseball bat at their head I think you'll be alright.

Have you ever fired a gun? Once you become familiar with a gun you realize it is just a tool that needs to be treated safely. I don't own a gun but I don't fear them.

Yeah once. but do you really trust all those millions of people to use their gun safely? Thats the question. Once the bullet goes to your heart or brain, there's no second chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well at least you're not black living there.

Yeah once. but do you really trust all those millions of people to use their gun safely? Thats the question. Once the bullet goes to your heart or brain, there's no second chance.

I lived in another state with very lax gun laws and I have never had any reason to fear gun holders. So I guess I trust that the percentage of people that snap and try to kill other people is so low that its not even worth worrying about. I'd be more worried about the south florida drivers.

But what if I was a big black male? Why should I have to adjust my behavior so that others won't feel threatened? This law is considering that everyone who owns a gun is reasonable and has no malignant intent. Coming from a big city, I just find this really dangerous. I am not trying to argue, but trying to reason it out since I have to move there anyways.

I wonder what the gun related death rate is there that is not gang related. I heard somewhere that it's among the highest.

But what if I was a big black male? Why should I have to adjust my behavior so that others won't feel threatened? This law is considering that everyone who owns a gun is reasonable and has no malignant intent. Coming from a big city, I just find this really dangerous. I am not trying to argue, but trying to reason it out since I have to move there anyways.

Not trying to be funny, but if you were a black male you'd be dealing with profiling most of your life and be apt at handling certain situations. I get treated differently, I'm just used to it- we work through it.

Many states in this country have a similar law that mimic stand-your-ground like in Florida. So Florida is not special with regard to this law.

That said, I think this country is in dire new of gun law reform. Politically, it is almost impossible to pass a legislation banning guns. Despite increasing discussions on gun control after the shooting in Newton, the noise is really pointed towards banning accessories that are considered irrational for a private citizen to have -- assault weapons and high capacity clips. A Gallup poll indicates that historically, opinions on gun control has been towards liberalization [1]. The constitutional hold of the second amendment is way too strong for any massive change in our gun laws. 42 states in this country guarantee their citizens the right to own a gun allowed by their constitution. When issues of gun control reach the state courts, they often side with an opinion based on constitutional grounds [2]. Second, aside from health care, gun lobbyist are some of the most powerful players working in Washington. In a single year, the NRA spends up to 7.2 million on advocating for or political candidates that share their narrative. Lobbyists are able to appoint pro-gun candidates in congressional seats that would create large resistance in passing forms of gun control. However, you may ask: are there pro-gun lobbyist as well? You're right, but their buying power sure pale compared to the competition.

Personally, stand your ground laws will be there, and the political power the is able to get rid of it won't come for many many years in the future. We are at the embryonic discussions about how we view guns in this country. In short, I think what needs to happen first is not gun reform, but lobbying reform. In the words of the Right, you must "starve the beast" if you want it to die.

[1]http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/uuwd0ulbyeognw9pt0zj2a.gif
[2]http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/06/a-minimal-effect-on-gun-control/

Why don't those people care about their constitutional rights being wiped out with the Patriot Act? That always boggles my mind. There is no moral or Patriotic ground...I say every man for himself. That's what the country has been reduced to.

The stand your ground law is very strict. If you even brandish your weapon you have to be able to prove your life was in immediate danger, and you had no available exits or options to prevent your life from being in danger.

Its not like someone could pull a gun if theyre being threatened or something. Thats 10 years in prison

The stand your ground law is very strict. If you even brandish your weapon you have to be able to prove your life was in immediate danger, and you had no available exits or options to prevent your life from being in danger.

Its not like someone could pull a gun if theyre being threatened or something. Thats 10 years in prison

As strict had it may be, I bet any decent lawyer can put a defense saying that it was necessary not just to take out the gun, but to kill. The person is dead, who is going to really bother disproving?

Thats beside the point. I firmly believe in peace by strength. Bottom line is, when people know that home owners and civilians are able to defend themselves, they are less likely to commit the crime and these situations are avoided all together. Just by virtue of this conversation, would you ever even consider breaking into a home in good old redneck Florida? I highly doubt it. (of course im sure you wouldnt regardless)

By the way this law only applies to your home and your car, which is considered your domain. Even in public if your life is threatened the laws are very stringent. And if you even have a gun in public, you have to get your concealed carry permit, and go through training and background screening and the whole 9.

By the way this law only applies to your home and your car, which is considered your domain. Even in public if your life is threatened the laws are very stringent. And if you even have a gun in public, you have to get your concealed carry permit, and go through training and background screening and the whole 9.

zimmermab is actually trying to use this defense. The shooting occured on the street. Also the most recent one by michael dunn where the shooting happened at a gas station. So in fact it is the wild wide south.

This law is ridiculously idiotic and racist, period. this is a state where probably more than 2/3 are racist or paranoid new yorker pitted against large southern african american population.

zimmermab is actually trying to use this defense. The shooting occured on the street. Also the most recent one by michael dunn where the shooting happened at a gas station. So in fact it is the wild wide south.

Has the defense presented anything legitimate to support his claims that he was simply defending himself? I lost interest in the case, but the last I felt was that Zimmerman should be imprisoned.

Has the defense presented anything legitimate to support his claims that he was simply defending himself? I lost interest in the case, but the last I felt was that Zimmerman should be imprisoned.

I think he is dragging it out now using this defense at the cost of your tax of course

No disrespect, but I think you are cleary ignorant of gun laws and gun owners in general. Im not arguing in anyones defense, I just think you should research a bit more of what the laws are, and for whom they apply. There are too many examples of states and even other countries with very harsh gun laws that do nothing more than take away a lawful citizens ability to protect themselves.

I have lived in FL my whole life. In Orlando for many years also, which is a VERY dangerous city. People do not change, no matter where you live. The only thing that changes, is your own ability to protect yourself.

You should look into the schools in texas that have armed teachers and see what the statistics are for gun related incidents. Dont stop there. Do some research and get back to me instead of just your conjecturing.

Honestly, I dont mean this in a rude way.

Last edited:
Zimmerman fired his gun once, while underneath an athletic 6'0 teenager who according to a witness was in an "mma style mount" and beating him in the head. Zimmerman had a wounded nose and wounds on the back of his head while trayvon's knuckles were bloody. Zimmerman will go free unless someone can prove he literally dragged trayvon on top of him and wouldn't let go

Zimmerman fired his gun once, while underneath an athletic 6'0 teenager who according to a witness was in an "mma style mount" and beating him in the head. Zimmerman had a wounded nose and wounds on the back of his head while trayvon's knuckles were bloody. Zimmerman will go free unless someone can prove he literally dragged trayvon on top of him and wouldn't let go

Well, I think the issue is that Zimmerman was following Trayvon Martin around after he was told to stop by a police dispatcher. He'll probably win, but its not like he was randomly attacked.

Regardless, what does this have to do with Pre-Osteopathic Medicine?

Zoner, as a soon to be medical student, I assume you have an appreciation for data. There is absolutely no data to show that crime is increased proportionally with the number of concealed carry permits. As a matter of fact, CCW holders commit crime at a rate lower than the general population. If any of us are ever attacked at gunpoint (and I sincerely hope none of us ever are) it will be by someone who is illegally carrying a gun. Restricting the right of law-abiding people to protect themselves does not keep guns out of murderer's hands.

As a gun owner and someone who does carry, I do. I don't know about other states but I felt that WI has a great program. It's not like when I walk down the street with my gun I am thinking about shooting someone, I have it as a final resort to protect myself and/or my family. People are going to shoot people, just like there will be fatal car crashes. Accept when it comes to car crashes nobody blames Ford or GM for the deaths.

Zoner, as a soon to be medical student, I assume you have an appreciation for data. There is absolutely no data to show that crime is increased proportionally with the number of concealed carry permits. As a matter of fact, CCW holders commit crime at a rate lower than the general population. If any of us are ever attacked at gunpoint (and I sincerely hope none of us ever are) it will be by someone who is illegally carrying a gun. Restricting the right of law-abiding people to protect themselves does not keep guns out of murderer's hands.

which data are you talking about?

http://factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhetoric-vs-gun-facts/

see for yourself

The fact that these are concealed permit holders (i.e. people who passed a thorough background check and are generally considered pretty much law-abiding) I feel great about it! You'll notice that the states with the strictest gun laws (california) tend to have the highest gun crime rates. Utah having some of the most lenient laws, lies pretty low on the list of gun crime rates. Personally I'd rather not have a concealed permit as having it means that big brother knows I have it and if they start tightening gun laws, I'd rather they not know. I'd prefer to buy a gun from someone and just not register it.

The fact that these are concealed permit holders (i.e. people who passed a thorough background check and are generally considered pretty much law-abiding) I feel great about it! You'll notice that the states with the strictest gun laws (california) tend to have the highest gun crime rates. Utah having some of the most lenient laws, lies pretty low on the list of gun crime rates. Personally I'd rather not have a concealed permit as having it means that big brother knows I have it and if they start tightening gun laws, I'd rather they not know. I'd prefer to buy a gun from someone and just not register it.

Where are you getting these nonsensical data or understanding of gun crime rate? you are comparing two states that have the population difference of 34 million people.

Just do a simple google search and you will come across sites like this where you will clearly see that the states with the least strict gun laws will have the highest gun death rate. And yea, California has less than Utah.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa/california-firearms-death-rate

And stop being so paranoid, exactly who do you think you will be protecting yourself from in the middle of nowhere in Utah? Do you think I live in LA and walk around LA constantly fearing for my life because I don't have concealed weapon or because it's hard to get one? It is the freedom to live without one that is the real freedom!

The data shows that people who own guns will have much much higher chance of their family member including owner him or herself dying from their own gun than from guns of another person. And what if everyone owns guns? Do you think those trained people can somehow whip out their gun at the right time and use them property and only kill the evil bad guy even when heavily trained War veterans can't?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/index.html
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/researc...n-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use/index.html

I hope some of these studies will change your mind about things.

Do you think this guy Dunn http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...o-shooting-teen-to-death-over-loud-music?lite was somehow mentally ******ed or required his gun illegally? With prevalent of guns, these kind of crime is bound to happen, and no, you can't just consider taking away someone's life as a casualty of doing biz as usual or freaking 'freedom' to bear arms.

Last edited:
Zoner. You ever heard (no pun intended) of Herd Immunity? The reason people like you dont have to be "paranoid" is because of the millions of people nationwide who carry guns.

As my father always says, when guns become Illegal, only criminals will have guns. Think about that good and hard.

Its not like passing stricter laws will somehow magically make these weapons disappear. It will only hinder good upstanding citizens ability to protect themselves if needed

Zoner. You ever heard (no pun intended) of Herd Immunity? The reason people like you dont have to be "paranoid" is because of the millions of people nationwide who carry guns.

As my father always says, when guns become Illegal, only criminals will have guns. Think about that good and hard.

Its not like passing stricter laws will somehow magically make these weapons disappear. It will only hinder good upstanding citizens ability to protect themselves if needed

This is bs. Most people are cowards and either die or flee in life or death situations. It's not only violence. Ive seen medics forget how to put on a tourniquet on a wound, Nurses who disappear during a code. If you think for a second Joe Smoe stranger is looking out for your safety while risking his you are delusional.

This is bs. Most people are cowards and either die or flee in life or death situations. It's not only violence. Ive seen medics forget how to put on a tourniquet on a wound, Nurses who disappear during a code. If you think for a second Joe Smoe stranger is looking out for your safety while risking his you are delusional.

The point is not whether or not people will come to your aid, the point is that people have a right to reduce their chance of needing aid by arming themselves

The point is not whether or not people will come to your aid, the point is that people have a right to reduce their chance of needing aid by arming themselves

But that is a fantasy. That is not what happens as studies from harvard public health studies show. Go read some freaking non NRA data.

Exactly my point

I dont feel I need to comment on this anymore as I think this discussion is innappropriate for this forum. Im not going to waste my time trying to arge with individuals who reason with emotion rather than fact and logic. (which is a must in our chosen careers)

Uited Kingdom (and many other highly industrialized nation wiry strict gun laws) virtually had no gun related death last year. We had over 30k gun related death last year. Exactly what protection do you think you are going to need? Most crimes are petty crimes and you are morally fine with taking away someone's life because they wanna idk steal your car stereo? The herd imminuity argument is nonsensical as the data shows because I feel safe here in the middle of LA and nobody has guns. We have one of the lowest gun related death rate in the country. And yes lower thanm Utah. And obviously you probably live where everyone had guns and are still be paranoid about your safety. Exactly what herd immunity do you think I have? You are wrongly throwing around immunology terms. Study some real data on gun related death and not the NRAcampaign material.

Exactly my point

I dont feel I need to comment on this anymore as I think this discussion is innappropriate for this forum. Im not going to waste my time trying to arge with individuals who reason with emotion rather than fact and logic. (which is a must in our chosen careers)

:thumbup: honestly I don't really care either way. I'll be fine.

Maybe you can try and still go to school in Cali?

Arizona and Alaska let most people carry concealed without a permit.

I heard that they've fallen into anarchy, blood is flowing in the streets, and their residents have taken to wearing ten-gallon hats and riding horses instead of cars.
New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington DC, on the other hand, have been murder-free utopias for as long as I can remember.

Here in Utah 1 in 3 have a concealed firearm permit. Makes me feel better personally.

Night hawk, the two step rule is not true for concealed carry permits in fl. The only rule is that it is concealed. There is no rule about having the safety on or having the gun unchambered. In agreement with you though, I have a number of friends who have the permit and never use it