Yale vs. WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferry Corsten

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got off the waitlist for both schools, and am not sure where to go. as far as "opening doors" and residency placement is concerned, would going to one of them make much of a difference over the other? I feel like the two schools are both really good and it might not matter, as far as my professional career/residency placement is concerned, which one i choose.

that would mean i should pick yale, as i like not having to worry about grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i just got off the waitlist for both schools, and am not sure where to go. as far as "opening doors" and residency placement is concerned, would going to one of them make much of a difference over the other? I feel like the two schools are both really good and it might not matter, as far as my professional career/residency placement is concerned, which one i choose.

what kind of question is this?
Yale all the way and not to mention that St. Louis pretty ****ty.

First things first, AWESOME awesome screen name. live, twice, and love LOVE loved him. :love:

Second. Yale. easily.

Third. CONGRATS. baller. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know what the above two people are talking about. both schools are pretty equal i think. just go wherever you think you'd like to live.

or just go to the place that gets more NIH money. that seems to be the underlying trend around here.

i'd go to yale. all pass/fail.

though...to the person that wrote St. Louis is crappy....New Haven isn't much better.

i'd go to yale. all pass/fail.

though...to the person that wrote St. Louis is crappy....New Haven isn't much better.

At least New Haven is reasonably close to other cities, very easy to get to NYC by train. St. Louis isn't near anything.

Wash U. Its rated higher and has a much better hospital system.

These institutions have almost completely opposite approaches to their first two years. Yale is incredibly flexible (perhaps too flexible?) and WashU is much more traditional and structured. One approach probably appeals to your personality more than the other... go there. The hospitals at both institutions are great and either school will help get you where you want to go.

At least New Haven is reasonably close to other cities, very easy to get to NYC by train. St. Louis isn't near anything.
Wash U is right in St. Louis, and St. Louis is obviously a much larger city than New Haven.

having lots of experience with both cities, STL>>>>>>>>>>>>>New Haven. Don't know why the Lou gets such a bad rap, great city. Of course it isn't Chicago or NYC! But you knew that already...

yeah, i was already leaning pretty heavily towards yale to begin with, just wanted to know if i had missed anything important about the difference between these two schools besides the p/f grading (and of course location)

thanks for the input everyone!

I understand why you're leaning towards Yale. But WashU really is a lot higher regarded by residency directors. On the recent Us News Ranking, WashU was rated 4.6 by residency directors (the third highest) and Yale 4.2. At the same time, I'm sure you'll get an amazing residency out of both.

you guys shouldnt worry too much about washu's grading. i heard it is not curved so as long as you get above a 90 you get an A, so it isnt competitive. the second year u should be studying hard for the boards anyway. the real thing u should consider is the very different preclinical curriculums

Status
Not open for further replies.