WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It would be a chore to scroll through this entire thread, but what do you guys think of Lewisburg as a town? I know WV is very pretty and as long as I can do some biking, I'll be happy.

Look at my previous post

Members don't see this ad.

ElliottB,

There is but one word to describe Lewisburg: quaint.

Do not expect much more. To say that Lewisburg's downtown is a joke compared to Chicago or New York City is to do a disservice to Lewisburg itself. You cannot even begin to compare cities like that. Lewisburg is not a city after all; it is a mountain town. It is situated at the intersection of Route 60 and Route 219 and is the wealthiest town in Greenbrier county. People come from the surrounding towns to do business in Lewisburg. You will notice tons of law offices, CPA offices, real estate agents and the like in the downtown area. You will also find specialty shops downtown, such as boutiques, outdoor shops and nice restaurants. You won't find many places at which to buy your day-to-day items. The downtown is really meant to attract tourists and to allow the folks from the more rural areas in the county to do their business in Lewisburg.

But honestly, I absolutely love it. I love to bike and my bicycle is my primary mode of transportation. If this is the case with you as well, then you will be just fine. It's quite a hilly, if not mountainous area, so you'll definitely be getting your workouts. But you really couldn't find a much better place if you like outdoor activities, especially cycling.

As Biology101 said, you will only be in Lewisburg for two years unless, of course, you choose to do your third year rotations right there in Lewisburg. It is important for you to feel like you live in a place that has things to offer you, like nightlife and social scene. It is important for us to get out and get away from the rigors of school. Having said this, as much as you will be studying, it will soon seem a little less important. As far as I'm concerned, I could stand on my head for two years if I had to. Two years is pretty darn short on the long run.

In my opinion, Lewisburg is great, and it worked out perfectly for my wife and I.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody have this years schedule?

You won't really get the schedule until school starts or right before..but you can look at this years schedule, it'll probably be identical

Hey guys the matchlist is up on the 2010 Match Thread on the Osteopathic forum if anyone is interested it is on page 4 or 5 i think.

Does anyone know if it is possible to miss a day or two of classes and still be able to make up the material say in lab? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Does anyone know if it is possible to miss a day or two of classes and still be able to make up the material say in lab? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

From what I understand, they are discontinuing the PBL track sometime. I know this for SBL--Almost all lectures are recorded in MP3 and posted online by the end of that day. My wife had our first child at the end of first year, and did lectures from home for a week or two to recover from her cesarean.

You need to make sure you attend lab and the certain mandatory scheduled items, but listening to lectures from home is all some people do.

Just remember--lectures from home sometimes suck because you can't see if information is posted on the boards at the front of the class.

Some professors also turn their mics off at "convenient times" and give information to the students who sat through the class that the ones who listened to the lecture do not get.

-Cabbage

I always got more out of sitting through class and taking handwritten notes, but that's just how I absorb stuff. Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know anything about laptops while attending school here?? I'm going through the military so I dont get a laptop as a first year and I am wanting to get a mac, but if they dont offer an ounce of support for macs and I have a software issue I dont want to have problems. are we going to be using our computers for anything that we dont already use them for (meaning, will it really matter what make my computer is)?? anyone a current student there that has one or know some current students that have macs??

I am getting ready to give up my seat for this year. I hope that someone off of here gets my spot off the waitlist. Best of luck everyone!

I will be entering my first year at WVSOM and I’m looking for a roommate for the upcoming school year. My apartment is conveniently located right across from the school, 2 bdr, 1 bath, open floor plan and partially furnished. Please let me know if you are interested and I will get back to you with pricing and other information!

I will be entering my first year at WVSOM and I’m looking for a roommate for the upcoming school year. My apartment is conveniently located right across from the school, 2 bdr, 1 bath, open floor plan and partially furnished. Please let me know if you are interested and I will get back to you with pricing and other information!
Hey!

Are you still looking for a roommate? B/c I am planning to attend WVSOM this year and I am hoping to find a place close to WVSOM. Please let me know either way.

Anybody else have any housing available or in need of a roommate?

So, I heard back and they told me "decision deferred" :( Does this mean I've really got no chance? I know there's still a slight possibility, but I was just wondering if anyone from last year was accepted after hearing this. Not a good start to my application cycle....:scared:

So, I heard back and they told me "decision deferred" :( Does this mean I've really got no chance? I know there's still a slight possibility, but I was just wondering if anyone from last year was accepted after hearing this. Not a good start to my application cycle....:scared:

Same for me..."Decision Deferred"...not sure how to react right now...

Same for me..."Decision Deferred"...not sure how to react right now...

I would not get too discouraged. Talking with applicants this year a lot were decision deferred and then got an interview later on in the cycle.

Any recommandation of a close by hotel for interview?
Also do I have to understand PBL and other teaching techniques? will they ask about it in interview?
thanks

Is anyone else hesitant to go here just based on the amount of money OOS are charged? I failed to notice this before sending in my secondary and that is crazy money every year. It is like 75,000 dollars a year!

I have 2 questions: about secondary

Is it necessary to send the form by USPS as it is said in the email?
If I am late by 2-3 days in sending my secondary, is it OK? I am alraedy late by 2 working days and 5 total days (including weekends)?

Thanks

I haven't heard anything from them. I like how friendly the staff is when I've called them, but I haven't followed up lately. Hmmm, I guess it's better than being rejected.

I just applied. Am I late? lol

Last edited: