WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I was there yesterday and that's what I remember. It's possible I misunderstood something, but Annette, students and one of the GTAs said something about three years being cut off. Maybe there is something more to it? This thread also says something about the GTA position. http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=232547

Yeah true that site is 2005, so plans might have changed. So Annette did say that 3 years is cut out, but GTA waivers are still possible?

Thanks for the thread link! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I believe WVSOM has this program in which you spend an extra year as a GTA working for the school, they will cut off three years of your tuition. Couldn't that save you more money then?

Essentially IMO the GTA position seemed to be a great option at first until you break it down. You complete years 1 and 2 and pay for the COA on your own ~160K. Then year 3 you complete the 1 year GTA position in which you do not pay anything that year for tuition and you are given a living stipend. Then WVSOM will pay for the years 4 and 5. So in the end, basically you are paying 160K out of the 320K (50%) but doing it in 5 years instead of 4.

This seems great but essentially you are giving 1 year (year 3 GTA) for 160K + saving interest so about 225K in total. This is close to what a lot of physicians make in a year anyways. So you really aren't saving as much as you think. ie - complete wvsom in 4 years at 320K debt and then in "year 5" make a year of salary as a physician (depends on what specialty you go into) and you are about the same financially.

Also the GTA position is competitive to get, so you can't count on it.
The Financial Aid office told me that they may be getting rid of this program in the future so they can't guarantee it and again you can't count on it.

I hope this make sense to you?

If I didn't already have 70K undergraduate and post-bacc debt it would have been a much tougher decision for me.

Great breakdown thank you! Just one point which may be disputed or not, but 80k is the supposed COA. If you pay 50k which by means is not cheap, you can live off under 20K there is not need for you spend more 20k a year on expenses outside tuition. Although I have not seen the expenses broken down I would gather it can be more than 20k if you budget. Overall yes if you can get in somewhere and you worried about the money in long term that is fine. But for many it is the school that wins them.

80k is the approximated COA and yes it can be made lower depending on how you live. The breakdown for expenses is pretty similar to most schools as what they allow for rent, utilities, food, transportation etc etc.
Yes you can cut down on the remainder after tuition if you live very very frugally and get a room mate, buy cheap food, etc. This is the case at any school to be honest in which you can save based on how you live.

It is hard to say but you can probably save an additional 40K (10K/year depending on how you live) With interest on the rest this is only a small dent overall bc you still will be at 280K w/o interest after 4 years at WVSOM and will have to sacrifice a lot to do so. So in the end about ~120K difference compared to the ~150K I spoke of in my other post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great breakdown thank you! Just one point which may be disputed or not, but 80k is the supposed COA. If you pay 50k which by means is not cheap, you can live off under 20K there is not need for you spend more 20k a year on expenses outside tuition. Although I have not seen the expenses broken down I would gather it can be more than 20k if you budget. Overall yes if you can get in somewhere and you worried about the money in long term that is fine. But for many it is the school that wins them.

Good luck at your medical school!

I heard rumors that they might not keep this for future years. Who knows and correct me if I am wrong it is only 2 years of tuition for free or partial pay. I am still in the waters regarding this method.

30,000 a year in outside tuition costs? How can you spend that much?

Just got the acceptance this morning and interviewed yesterday (monday the 1st) wohoo!

The class is apparently not full because I know of 2 others in my interview group who got in this morning too. So excited!!

:soexcited::banana:
WVSOM CLASS OF 2014 !!

Congrats iforgot, welcome to 2014 class. I have yet to join the facebook group, but have been reading the discussion within it. But you should join the group if you have any questions.

30,000 a year in outside tuition costs? How can you spend that much?

That is what I said 30k for expenses is a lot, I mean that is hard to do at Lewisburg considering the low living cost. I mean you would have to travel to a city and splurge every two weeks, or maybe eat out everyday lol. But I feel that expenses should be around 20k maybe 25k max. I feel 20k is doable.

Just got the acceptance this morning and interviewed yesterday (monday the 1st) wohoo!

The class is apparently not full because I know of 2 others in my interview group who got in this morning too. So excited!!

:soexcited::banana:
WVSOM CLASS OF 2014 !!

Congrats! Last year, the class was full around March 3rd/4th! I am willing to bet this week fills the class up. That is probably why you got such an incredibly quick turn-around acceptance...that's my guess, at least. See you in August! :)

That is what I said 30k for expenses is a lot, I mean that is hard to do at Lewisburg considering the low living cost. I mean you would have to travel to a city and splurge every two weeks, or maybe eat out everyday lol. But I feel that expenses should be around 20k maybe 25k max. I feel 20k is doable.

Just remember also that there are a lot of miscellaneous fees such as textbooks, boards, fees, etc. Don't underestimate them.

Received my letter yesterday. Fees are due by 3/19.

Congrats KageyB welcome to class of 2014.

For those that are accepted and have turned in their deposits is it required to have CPR certification? The health form states to have turned in a CPR current card and AED training info. I don't remember reading this before.

For those that are accepted and have turned in their deposits is it required to have CPR certification? The health form states to have turned in a CPR current card and AED training info. I don't remember reading this before.
I got mine about a month ago. Plus most of the other stuff, started my Hepatitis shots and what not. Wasn't bad, just money and time.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, it is required. However, the school does offer a course during the semester--I'm just thinking I'm gonna need all the free time I have for studying/a LITTLE relaxing! I work at a hospital now and plan to get certified there. Make sure it is a CPR class for health care workers.

Did anyone get notice of any acceptances following yesterdays Admission's Committee meeting? I'm assuming they did meet yesterday......

Did anyone get notice of any acceptances following yesterdays Admission's Committee meeting? I'm assuming they did meet yesterday......

At this point in the year, it sometimes takes a little longer than the following Tuesday, so don't get too worried! It may take another week or so. Our fingers are crossed! Good luck :)

hey I am interviewing in a couple weeks and was curious if anyone has any pointers? What type of atmosphere is the interview, what sort of questions do they ask?

hey I am interviewing in a couple weeks and was curious if anyone has any pointers? What type of atmosphere is the interview, what sort of questions do they ask?

Below is a post that I wrote on page 2 of this thread...should answer your questions pretty well :) Good luck!

There's a thread on here that has a bunch of questions, I think, unless I had gotten them from a different resource...I can't remember! Anywho, I did save a word doc with all the questions I had extracted from the unknown source...I've pasted them below. They were provided by post-WVSOM interview students.

Why DO?
Why WVSOM?
What are my hobbies and how will I deal with the stress of Medical School?
What kind of physician do I want to be (family practice, specialized, etc.)?
Describe my clinical experiences.
Have you ever been to a small town like this before?
What will be the hardest part about medical school?
Tell them why I chose my undergraduate major.
Why do you want to be a doctor?
You're living in a metropolitan area, what is your interest in rural medicine?
Tell me about yourself.
What other schools have you applied to this year?
What do you see yourself in 15 years?
Tell us more about your shadow experience.
What is going to be the most difficult thing during the first year at WVSOM?
When did you learn about WVSOM and why did you choose to apply?
What will be your hardest adjustment/transition - how will you handle it?
What were your best and worst shadowing experiences?
Would you consider yourself an MD that does manipulation or a chiropractor that can dispense medication?
Explain an instance during your shadowing when you knew you wanted to go into medicine and one where you thought you weren't so sure.
What/who are you depending on while in medical school?
What concerns do you have about starting medical school?
If you're in a grocery store and a patient comes up to you with a problem in their leg, what do you do?
Same as above, but they asked it three times with small changes (you have a party to get to, you have 10 min. to get what you need).
What size area do you want to practice in?
Do you think the only point of learning is to prepare for tests?
Besides WVSOM, what brings you to the Lewisburg area?
What do you like to do outdoors?
What do you think is the most important biomedical advancement of the last decade?
What do you think is the difference between Osteopathic and Allopathic medicine?
Would you stay in West Virginia once you finished school?
What are the big challenges and issues facing physicians today?
Can you describe what you do in your research?

For me, personally, my questions were super basic. Why DO? Why WVSOM? What do you do for fun? Do you want to practice in WV? ...and a few other "easy" ones like that. The only harder/unexpected question I got was "tell us why you have some lower grades--Bs/Cs--for your science classes?"

I really should've been prepared for this, seeing as I do have a handful of C's on my transcript, but I just didn't expect it to be asked! I suppose, as a forewarning, if any of you fall into that category, try your best to think of a solid response to that. Otherwise, the interview day was super laid back, more of a conversation, and I thoroughly enjoyed my day.

Hope that helps! Good luck to all :)

As for the atmosphere: incredibly friendly, very welcoming, not nerve-racking (at least they try to make it that way for you, despite I'm sure the fact that we all can't help but be nervous), and the interview panel was quite friendly. 3 people interviewed me--one admissions director (the assistant I think), and 2 clinicians/professors. 2/3 were very friendly and talkative, one was completely closed off--didn't smile at me once. To the point where it was quite noticeable and obvious--I think it was his scare tactic ;) But don't let it get to you if this happens--just feed off the others' positive energy and radiate your own. Best of luck.

Yes!! I went on the website and it says "Accept with contingency." I spoke to Annette and she will be mailing out the acceptance letters with the deposit info. Does anyone know how long we have for the deposit? I interviewed March 5 but I won't be back home until next week, and I don't wanna miss it.

DO2bSC, were you in my group as well? Your dad is a physician right?

Yes!! I went on the website and it says "Accept with contingency." I spoke to Annette and she will be mailing out the acceptance letters with the deposit info. Does anyone know how long we have for the deposit? I interviewed March 5 but I won't be back home until next week, and I don't wanna miss it.

DO2bSC, were you in my group as well? Your dad is a physician right?

I interviewed 2/28 and recieved my acceptance letter last Saturday. I need to deposit $2,000 by 3/19 and another $1,000 by 4/2.

Thanks for the info! I don't have to rush back home =) Are you going to choose this school? I loved it there!! The tuition is hard to get over, but I interviewed at 4 other schools and they don't even compare to WV.

I interviewed 2/28 and recieved my acceptance letter last Saturday. I need to deposit $2,000 by 3/19 and another $1,000 by 4/2.

Thanks for the info! I don't have to rush back home =) Are you going to choose this school? I loved it there!! The tuition is hard to get over, but I interviewed at 4 other schools and they don't even compare to WV.

I am most likely going to go to WVSOM. I am waiting to hear back from LECOM this week and then I will make a decision. I have til the end of the week to make a final decision. WVSOM definitely seemed like the best school to attend in regards to hospitality and education. My only issue is the difficulty in flying in and out of there without going broke.

Below is a post that I wrote on page 2 of this thread...should answer your questions pretty well :) Good luck!

As for the atmosphere: incredibly friendly, very welcoming, not nerve-racking (at least they try to make it that way for you, despite I'm sure the fact that we all can't help but be nervous), and the interview panel was quite friendly. 3 people interviewed me--one admissions director (the assistant I think), and 2 clinicians/professors. 2/3 were very friendly and talkative, one was completely closed off--didn't smile at me once. To the point where it was quite noticeable and obvious--I think it was his scare tactic ;) But don't let it get to you if this happens--just feed off the others' positive energy and radiate your own. Best of luck.
They just kept saying, "Don't worry, the interview isnt anything horrible....just relax!!" All I kept saying was, "Yeah right!!!!" After it was all over I realized they were right...it really was low-key not stressful at all

Yeah same here, I was going nuts before the interview. Finally when I entered and conversed for a few minutes I realized it was very calm. I then just relaxed and became myself. It was awesome good school as well.

Just interviewed here earlier this week....Everyone at the school is so nice!!! Especially the admissions staff...they make you feel so welcome!

They asked some tough questions in the interview but even then, it wasn't stressfull at all.
I was also pleased to note that the living expenses for the area are really low so that sorta helps make the OOS tuition a little less intimidating. Well keeping fingers crossed now!

does WVSOM offer any sort of health plan for their students?

does WVSOM offer any sort of health plan for their students?

Nothing that is directly through WVSOM, from my understanding, but they will provide links to several options for coverage. It sounds as if these suggested plans are cheaper/geared towards grad students.

Is it okay if we have health plans that work through our parents? Ideally we just need to get yearly physicals correct? Having health insurance through family is acceptable?

Is it okay if we have health plans that work through our parents? Ideally we just need to get yearly physicals correct? Having health insurance through family is acceptable?

Yep as long as you have coverage, it doesn't matter the source from which you obtain it :)

Checked at 11:00 and my status says :soexcited:"ACCEPT APPLICANT":soexcited:
See you all in August!!!!

Paid the first part of my matriculation fee today. I guess that means it is official. West Virginia here I come.

Doesn't it feel great knowing that! I still get giddy :)

Last edited:
That is what I was wondering as well, also does anyone know the recent board pass rates?

Thanks!

Wooo! Accepted today. Check the page this AM when I first woke up and have been in a great mood ever since :thumbup:

Hey guys...Gave up my acceptance last week, good luck to all of you still waiting to hear back!

:) LECOM-B Class of 2014 :)

So I interviewed at WVSOM and thought the school and facilities were awesome, but was not so impressed with the area. When I arrived in Lewisburg, approximately 8pm, I asked the lady at the desk at the hotel for a recommendation for dinner she gave me the name of a place and told me I better hurry because they will not seat anybody after 8:30 (she also, with a straight face I might add, referred to the area as "downtown" which made me laugh). I am from a suburb of NYC and am worried about the quality of life over the next 4 years, because i feel that it could have an effect on ones performance in school (negatively or positively depending on the person).

Now I know it is medical school, and my priority is studying (so please refrain from reminding me, I am well aware) but mental health and physical outlets are important as, which is part of the philosophy of Osteopathic Medicine. But what exactly is there to do for fun? What do current students do during down time, or on the nights one can let loose and be social? I don't see many social outlets in Lewisburg (considering "Downtown" didn't have an open store at 9pm) I am a martial artist and the closest place that teaches my style is more than 60 miles away so that is out of the question. I am just concerned about this factor, and how students, particularly ones who come from big cities or areas surrounding big cities, cope.

So I interviewed at WVSOM and thought the school and facilities were awesome, but was not so impressed with the area. When I arrived in Lewisburg, approximately 8pm, I asked the lady at the desk at the hotel for a recommendation for dinner she gave me the name of a place and told me I better hurry because they will not seat anybody after 8:30 (she also, with a straight face I might add, referred to the area as "downtown" which made me laugh). I am from a suburb of NYC and am worried about the quality of life over the next 4 years, because i feel that it could have an effect on ones performance in school (negatively or positively depending on the person).

Now I know it is medical school, and my priority is studying (so please refrain from reminding me, I am well aware) but mental health and physical outlets are important as, which is part of the philosophy of Osteopathic Medicine. But what exactly is there to do for fun? What do current students do during down time, or on the nights one can let loose and be social? I don't see many social outlets in Lewisburg (considering "Downtown" didn't have an open store at 9pm) I am a martial artist and the closest place that teaches my style is more than 60 miles away so that is out of the question. I am just concerned about this factor, and how students, particularly ones who come from big cities or areas surrounding big cities, cope.

Well the city is small, and they don't have many regional restaurants, however there are several chains, like applebees, arbys, and a few more (the names escape me). All of this is in addition to the regional restaurants.

Yea downtown is a joke compared to NYC or Chicago, but thats kind of the point. It is a smaller place, so the downtown is smaller.

You are wrong about being their for 4 years. You will only be in lewisburg for 2 years, unless you choose to do your rotations in the Greenbrier Health system (which I believe is primarily for family students).

So for fun, take a look at the WVSOM fb page, they have activities almost every week (contests, shows, outreach programs, etc.). Their are clubs (not sure how involved they are), theres a gym (basketball court), a movie theater, state fair (check out fb, people are already buying tickets for the concerts), taste of Lewisburg, outdoor events (hiking, swiming, jogging, etc.), there is also a paintball group on campus.

All of that dosn't include Classes/studying or even what our class will contribute. Worst comes to worst, in the 5 minutes we ll have free, there is always X-box.

For 2 years, I think their will be plenty to do. I think if your more social, you need only try and reach the other students, and there will be a variety of things to do.

pm me if you have any questions

p.s. their also a few bars

Hey guys psyched to be attending wvsom this fall and this Question for current students, the laptops they give u what kind, model r they? and r cud u provide a link or something? also is there any way to ditch the laptop and get ur own and upload the software they give u onto the new one, say like a mac :)
pls let me know

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine's Board of Governors removed president Dr. Richard Rafes and named Dr. Michael Adelman, vice president for academic affairs and dean, as the school's acting president, according to an e-mail from a student representative. The board met Saturday.
Rafes served as president of the Lewisburg school for the past 15 months, according to a school news release. A reason for Rafes' departure was not given in the brief release.
"I was completely surprised by the action of the Board of Governors and greatly saddened as I had no prior notice of this action," Rafes said Sunday evening. "I have greatly enjoyed working with the outstanding faculty and staff at WVSOM to educate the future doctors of West Virginia."
In an e-mail obtained by the Gazette, Board of Governors student representative Brian Huggins wrote to his classmates, saying that many people had received the press release and "are concerned and want to know why."
Huggins, in the e-mail, said the Board of Governors went into a closed session to discuss an annual review of the president's performance. After the board finished the executive session, it voted unanimously that Rafes would be removed as president but still be employed by the School of Osteopathic Medicine.
Rafes said he is unsure at this time what his future is at the school.
Adelman will assume the role as acting president immediately until a formal search begins for a permanent president, Huggins wrote.
Board members chose Adelman because his position as vice president for academic affairs is "the second in command according to institutional policy," Huggins wrote.
"Unfortunately, all other information regarding this issue was revealed during Executive Session, and therefore would be illegal for me to present to the students," he wrote.
"I know this is extraordinarily frustrating, as I have been on the other side of this equation before being elected to this position, but I ask you to please not believe any rumors that you may hear about this issue.
"The only other thing that I can tell you is that this was not premeditated, and was based around the information in Executive Session," Huggins wrote. "No one, including members of the board, the Dean, or any other administrator, had prior knowledge of today's events. I ask you to trust the board in this decision, as it was a unanimous vote."
Huggins wrote that he, Adelman and board members plan to meet with students Monday to help address the matter, "even though the information we provide will still be limited."
Huggins did not immediately respond to an e-mail message.

Hey guys psyched to be attending wvsom this fall and this Question for current students, the laptops they give u what kind, model r they? and r cud u provide a link or something? also is there any way to ditch the laptop and get ur own and upload the software they give u onto the new one, say like a mac :)
pls let me know

They do allow Macintosh computers at the school, but they will not support them. If you have a problem printing, sorry. If you have a problem with software, sorry. If you can't get on the wireless, sorry.

If you know about computers and can fix these problems yourself, go for it.

I switched my wife to a Macintosh in 2nd year and she said she would never go back to a Windows based PC. Just depends on what you're used to.

Most of the software they give is either web based or something of the like. If you know how to run Windows in a VM on a Macintosh (which is extremely easy to do) you won't have a problem in the least.

Last edited:
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine's Board of Governors removed president Dr. Richard Rafes and named Dr. Michael Adelman, vice president for academic affairs and dean, as the school's acting president, according to an e-mail from a student representative. The board met Saturday.
Rafes served as president of the Lewisburg school for the past 15 months, according to a school news release. A reason for Rafes' departure was not given in the brief release.
"I was completely surprised by the action of the Board of Governors and greatly saddened as I had no prior notice of this action," Rafes said Sunday evening. "I have greatly enjoyed working with the outstanding faculty and staff at WVSOM to educate the future doctors of West Virginia."
In an e-mail obtained by the Gazette, Board of Governors student representative Brian Huggins wrote to his classmates, saying that many people had received the press release and "are concerned and want to know why."
Huggins, in the e-mail, said the Board of Governors went into a closed session to discuss an annual review of the president's performance. After the board finished the executive session, it voted unanimously that Rafes would be removed as president but still be employed by the School of Osteopathic Medicine.
Rafes said he is unsure at this time what his future is at the school.
Adelman will assume the role as acting president immediately until a formal search begins for a permanent president, Huggins wrote.
Board members chose Adelman because his position as vice president for academic affairs is "the second in command according to institutional policy," Huggins wrote.
"Unfortunately, all other information regarding this issue was revealed during Executive Session, and therefore would be illegal for me to present to the students," he wrote.
"I know this is extraordinarily frustrating, as I have been on the other side of this equation before being elected to this position, but I ask you to please not believe any rumors that you may hear about this issue.
"The only other thing that I can tell you is that this was not premeditated, and was based around the information in Executive Session," Huggins wrote. "No one, including members of the board, the Dean, or any other administrator, had prior knowledge of today's events. I ask you to trust the board in this decision, as it was a unanimous vote."
Huggins wrote that he, Adelman and board members plan to meet with students Monday to help address the matter, "even though the information we provide will still be limited."
Huggins did not immediately respond to an e-mail message.

There is no update. What you see here is what happened. That's about it.

It would be a chore to scroll through this entire thread, but what do you guys think of Lewisburg as a town? I know WV is very pretty and as long as I can do some biking, I'll be happy.